[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you using ncurses for your next project, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: ncurses screen.png (9 KB, 714x409) Image search: [Google]
ncurses screen.png
9 KB, 714x409
Why aren't you using ncurses for your next project, /g/?
>>
Because terminal-based approximations of GUIs have no advantages over real GUIs.
>>
>>55004928
this is how software should be done
>>
No portability.
>>
>>55004928
it's retarded as fuck to program for
>>
>>55005019
and is actually worse. Instead of coding for a major version of say Qt or GTK you have to code per terminal.

(Example of thise, load up weechat in screen then tmux notice the difference)
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (210 KB, 1552x938) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
210 KB, 1552x938
>>55005019
I beg to differ
>>
>>55005019
It does if you remote into other machines. Good luck getting a GUI to work there.
>>
>>55005144
AESTHETIC
>>
>>55005144

D- don't worry, it's not the end of the world that you can't see half the filenames because of your fixed-width font, and noone really notices the lagging and tearing when you scroll down, and who needs to copy and paste multiple lines of text anyway????
>>
>>55005175
>what is X forwarding, remote desktop and VNC?
>>
File: yuno dress.png (459 KB, 859x1214) Image search: [Google]
yuno dress.png
459 KB, 859x1214
>>55005356
That is part of the Aesthetics, my man
>>
Yo guys I really hope you can give me an answer..
basically I have a great idea for a terminal ascii art game, but the thing is I need it to run on linux AND windows, what do?
I heard about PDCurses, but I never actually did something with it, curses in general or ASCII art..
I'll be doing it in C++
>>
Beginner programmer here. Good resources on learning ncurses?
>>
>>55008002
http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-intro.html
This, I believe.

Good luck.
>>
>>55005175
>>55005356

gettin' schooled 101
>>
>>55004928
What is ncurses
>>
>>55008023
don't reply to him
>>
>>55008015
Thanks anon.
>>
>>55004928
>Why aren't you using ncurses for your next project, /g/?
Because I'm not making some shitty UI interface like a code monkey.
>>
>>55005144
>The_Ultimate_Guide_To_Fat_Loss_2013.pdf
>>
>>55008023
it curses the letter n
>>
>>55008091
What did you expect, there aren't any straight fit males that use mc.
>>
Is any impressive software written in PDCurses? I want to know the feature set stacks up.
>>
"Real" GUIs are usually designed to be used by computer illiterate simpletons. Example of this: File managers. Most of the ones you get on Linux are overly simplistic copycats of each other based upon pandering to people coming from windows explorer, and most GUI programs do not dare to make things differently. Stuff like Acme's way of using the mouse or http://jjacky.com/donnatella/ are the exception when they should be the rule. And you get these things more often in terminal programs, where the user is expected to actually know something about the software he's using.
>>
>>55008393
>I use the terminal because it makes me look like a smart H4XX0R
>>
>>55004928

I am actually. A starship bridge simulator type game
>>
>>55008510
to be fair using the terminal is much more efficient for me because i type so fast
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.