[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ I need some advice for a rig I'm trying to build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: MastercamRedBlackLogo.gif (14 KB, 1398x241) Image search: [Google]
MastercamRedBlackLogo.gif
14 KB, 1398x241
Hey /g/ I need some advice for a rig I'm trying to build for my girlfriend's dad.

Dude basically uses mastercam and streams Vietnamese dramas on his old shitty windows xp desktop he built a long ass time ago.Here are some of the questions I could use a little guidance on:

>Used Workstation?
He has a budget of 500 freedom bucks so is it even work building a custom rig or should I just tell him to buy a used workstation

>i5-6500 or Xeon 1231v3?
latest and greatest or more cores?

>Quadro GPU?
From what I've researched you only really need a "Professional" GPU for shit like photorealistic rendering? If he's not doing any of that shit and doing simple 2.5D rendering will a 750ti work just fine?

>Mastercam or alternative?
I honestly know shit all about CAD/CAMs and machinist stuff. Is this alright software or is this guy living in the stoneage? Been trying to find copies of mastercam but I believe most of them can only be used with business licenses. If any machinistfags can weigh in on this that'd be great.

>General questions
Since I really don't know a whole lot his profession I'm not really sure what I can ask him to give him the best end product. What kind of question can I ask him to narrow his needs down? I want to build the guy a pretty nice rig for his work so any help would be appreciated
>>
I'll build you one senpai hold up
>>
>>55005788
thanks boo
>>
>>55005861
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/skxsYr

Its a tad over, but this should be good.

I chose AMD simply because Mastercam doesn't utilize hyperthreaded cores very well and the AMD FX-8320 does out preform the Xeon E-5 2660.

The Firepro card is just to keep it all AMD, that can be changed to a quadro if you want, but no lower end quadros are competitively priced in the cheaper end towards the Firepros. 8gb of ram is fine enough for Mastercam. A major slowdown in mastercam is going to be read/write so I'd say just put that and the OS on the SSD, use the HDD for media/backup.

Mastercam is a very powerful CAD program, it is up there with CATIA for example.

You can get free AUTO-CAD if you have a student email, .edu address (same with MS Office). If he's looking for something close to CATIA, he could always use SOLIDWORKS or Rivet. However, AUTO-CAD is very low end compared to that of Mastercam or CATIA. Most business use SOLIDWORKS or Rivet. They are about medium strength.

If you have any buddies or something that work at say Boeing, they might be able to hook you up with CATIA pirated. Your not going to find that one easily and its about $23K for the full deal with them.
>>
>>55005946
I'll be sticking around this thread if you have any more questions senpai
>>
>>55005946
oh and the mini-display to Vga is only if you need it but it doesn't need to be VGA, it can pretty much be anything you want/need
>>
>>55005946
>>55005961
>>55005970
>>55005946
>>55005961
>>55005970
Alright cool thanks man

So from what I gather

>physical cores > logical cores

>Mastercam is pretty legit and hard to get
He told me that he got his copy from one of the engineers at his job. Maybe I can just ask him if he can get another copy.

>Solidworks
If he's not able to get mastercam would this be a good alternative? I see a lot when browsing for torrents as opposed to the other ones you mentioned

I was thinking of going with AMD for his build if the professional GPU was necessary and since the Microcenter around where I live still has the banging CPU/Mobo combo deal going on I can get them for the low

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/T7zf7h

If the GPU is absolutely necessary I can probably pull some Jet shenanigans to reduce the price some
>>
>>55006309
Solidworks is basically the babby form of CATIA. Its made by the same people, its just less powerful. And thats probably the best place to get Mastercam. Its very locked down like CATIA in terms of licensing it.

I would say that 750 watt is major overkill though. If you even got a higher end QUADRO it would be max 400watts. Look for the case/psu combos. Those are the best deals for lower power builds like this. And I'd say a GPU is absolutely needed considering the FX series has no integrated graphics and while these CAD programs do not require much in terms of visual power, they use the GPUs to do mathematical calculations, which mastercam will use ALOT of. You can get away with running low end CATIA on an i7 integrated graphics (like a dell laptop) but thats lucky at best.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.