[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7
File: index.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
I'm so fucking bored, /g/. I haven't had a good programming project in like, 4 months, I've learned alot about Linux and now I can't think of anything to do with it, and I just wanna fucking lay around all day.

Video games are boring as fuck too.

How do you /g/uys find inspiration for projects or shit to do? I wanna do cool shit but can't think of anything to make or do. What was your last project /g/?
>>
>>55000407
>/g/ is not your prsonal psychological support site
>>
For me it's usually a cycle.

programming -> tired
-> video games -> bored
-> books (web/light novels) -> tired of reading and want visual and audio stuff
-> series or anime -> tired of watching things, want to learn or think
-> programming
>>
>>55000635
literally me

i'm in the books phase right now
>>
File: STOP_gif.gif (2 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
STOP_gif.gif
2 MB, 853x480
>>55000635
Are you me?
>>
>>55000407
>How do you /g/uys find inspiration for projects or shit to do?
More money? why else would you do it

i plan to become like this in a few years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_HTABr7hA
>>
>>55000407
https://projecteuler.net

have fun
>>
You haven't figured out how to call it by it's actually name yet, so that's a good start!

(it's GNU/Linux)
>>
>>55000407
it me baby
>>
>>55000407
I live in a dirt-poor nation with a dearth of jobs. I NEED to land one before graduation or else I won't survive.
>>
>>55000635
what about learning music or an instrument?
>>
>>55001061
Oh yeah forgot to include "play guitar/piano" in it.

Though you need to have the instrument in your current place, which is not always the case. Whereas all the other things only require a computer.
>>
>>55000683

Hang yourself
>>
>>55000670
I don't have any way of making money though. Freelancer.com and Upwork are just fucking meme sites full of stupid projects.

Like, someone wants you to make an entire FPS game.

For $10.

Or, alot of the projects are just out of my skill range entirely.

>>55000675
I said cool shit. Not boring homework. I want to make practical shit but I'm just not sure what to do or what's needed.

>>55001061
I'm too autistic(seriously)to handle an instrument. I have a guitar but I am not able to find proper resources or where to start learning about it. I don't understand how guitarists can move their fingers quick as fuck all over the fret board like I see them do. It baffles me.
>>
>>55001130
If you can't differentiate a kernel from an operating system you have no right to call yourself a programmer.
>>
>>55000635
>tfw me

Currently reading lightbringer series on my tablet. Pretty good.
>>
I contribute to a Foss program so I never run out of shit to do
>>
>>55000407
Get a job. Job gives project. Job gives pay check. Pay check is inspiration.
>>
>>55001309
>I don't have any way of making money though. Freelancer.com and Upwork are just fucking meme sites full of stupid projects.
go on fiver, make your profile picture indian,

and do programming projects as an indian, it's the best job ever
>>
>>55001309
>>55001825
ur welcome for the genius idea btw
>>
Someone motivate me to start reading my C++ book again
>>
I feel exactly the same way. Life feels so meaningless. But I'm too much of a pussy to die.
>>
>>55001825
>>55001901
You serious?

>>55001993
This desu family.
>>
>>55000407
generic idea for projects:
- take some random linux utility
- make a (web) interface for it
- add features to said interface
that's it. you applied your knowledge on linux/programming, made something simple and useful, and perhaps learned something new
>>
>>55002092
>- take some random linux utility
oh, and forgot to mention... clone it if you want to.
>>
>>55002035
>You serious?
yes
>>
>>55002134
>>too tired/impatient for productive stuff
>>too aware of the unproductivity of it to enjoy entertainment
>>end up wasting the entire day browsing the internet because I can stop any time and I might learn something (lol)
are you me?
even if I have some clues on what I SHOULD be doing (for example, >>55002092 ), it's difficult for me to stop and actually DO things ;_;
>>
>>55002092
>Make a web interface for it
Well I've never done that before so I'll look into it.

Okay so real talk on Open Source for a moment.

>Open GZDoom, see the God awful WAD selection menu on startup
>"I have a brilliant idea to make this less fucking stupid!"
>Go grab the source code for GZDoom
>Can't find the fucking right file to start adding the feature I have in mind to
How the fuck do you people do this? There's so many fucking files.
>>
>>55001559
I was also going to suggest bidding for programming gigs on UpWork or similar sites. The rates are shit but OP doesn't seem to worry about money.
>>
>>55002246
UpWork is full of retarded deals.
>Make me a game
>For $10
And it's full of Indians.

Should I just do fucking Fiverr?
>>
>>55000635

I'm suffering from depression (life-crippling edition) and this cycle is almost me. Replace programming with "anything remotely productive", and then point out that phase caps out at a day (whereas each other phase lasts weeks each), replace reading with "browsing 4chan and sleeping a lot", and you have me.
>>
>>55002246
Oh also, I wish I could just find a good site to do contract programming instead of this project shit. Like,

>x puts up a contract for a searchbox fix on his site
>submit the completed product, completing the contract
>>
File: images-8.jpg (30 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images-8.jpg
30 KB, 443x332
>>55001825
Does this actually work? As a freelance programmer I get all my contracts IRL but I could do with some extra projects when things start getting slow. Is the pay worth it or do I have to compete with thousands of pajeets for $6.70? I've never really looked at any freelancing sites.
>>
>>55002405
i think u can actually charge more for other programming projects https://www.fiverr.com/

i have never worked on the producer side, so i have no idea about the pay
>>
>>55000407

Make a proper n64 emulator you scrub
>>
File: web designing pajeet.png (287 KB, 1216x810) Image search: [Google]
web designing pajeet.png
287 KB, 1216x810
>>55002405
>>
>>55001328
You assume the reason for calling it that is not understanding the difference, instead of simply not giving a shit about catering to autism
>>
>>55001328
even Linus Torvalds calls GNU/Linux "Linux"
>>
>>55002226
>How the fuck do you people do this? There's so many fucking files.
this, how the fuck am I supposed to find anything in a source tree?
>>
>>55002770
Seriously.
It's been like 50 minutes.

Let's see - I've searched for 'menu', got 4 menu.cpp files none of them what I want, and then I did 'selection', 'main', etc

Can't find shit.
>>
>>55002770
>>55002226
I dunno how other people does it, desu. I guess it's a thing that comes with experience... experience that I mostly lack
when I take someone else's code, I usually "grep" some strings from the program a lot. for example, if you want to change the "Preferences" menu, run grep -ran "Preferences" /path/to/source/files
>>
>>55002646
Not like he'd be biased in one direction or another
>>
>>55002967
he doesn't care, why would he? he doesn't hate GNU, and, in fact, GNU enabled Linux (and Linux enabled GNU) to become what it is now.
>>
File: 1377563505468.gif (590 KB, 300x254) Image search: [Google]
1377563505468.gif
590 KB, 300x254
>>55002527
How can they do that stuff for $5? Who the fuck would develop an entire app for $5? How can I even compete with that?
>>
>>55003277
Freelancing is a fucking joke meme.
>>
>>55003277
>How can I even compete with that?
it's impossible, pajeets win everytime
>>
File: datboiterry.png (246 KB, 637x640) Image search: [Google]
datboiterry.png
246 KB, 637x640
>>55003344
Yeah, freelancing online is a meme, it's nothing but entitled wannabe venture capitalists who want five $90,000 salaries worth of work done by one guy for $5 in 1 week. I make bank doing freelance work locally because programmers are like unicorns in my city and the law of supply and demand dictates that my services are valuable. Online work would be nice for when I can't find any clients but it seems totally impossible! Is there really no place to find decent programming work online?
>>
>>55003590
>it's nothing but entitled wannabe venture capitalists who want five $90,000 salaries worth of work done by one guy for $5 in 1 week
is this real?
wait, r u saying freelancing is bad? or good thing? if they only charge $5
>>
File: 1437315842951.jpg (11 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
1437315842951.jpg
11 KB, 300x268
>>55000683
>tripfag
>cancerous asshole
>>
>>55002092
That's actually a good idea... thanks anon
>>
>>55003695
freelancing is shit indeed, even if most of your clients arrangements are not made online there is always that mofo that will try to screw you over, and that is just lost time
also the paying is not that good, plenty of competition, even if you take pride in you work and present good/decent solutions the space is so crawled with bottom feeders it sucks for both sides (client looking for cheapest will get shit implementations and you that wont get some jobs cause of that)
right now i care more about word of mouth than anything else, and goes both way, i try to ask around if some of my contacts knows anything about that potential client, if the answers isnt positive i quickly move on
then again im just yet another anon fag on this board, so take this with a grain of salt
>thx for reading my blog
>>
>>55000407
Make a text editor
>>
>>55003821
glad you like it. took me some time to think about it, but I think it could help, since linux utilities are usually awesome. things like wget, grep, and so on, clearly are lacking good graphic/web interfaces. and there are a shitload of utilities...
I made a whole site with some TTS engines. surely it didn't take off, but it still was a cool project, IMO
>>
>>55004152
oh, btw, this is my site: http://www.nask.co
>>
>>55004170
>/www.nask.co
hacked ;^)
>>
>>55004192
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55003896
>thx for reading my blog
lol np
>>
>>55004192
you wish.
hint: the backend is written in Go
>>
>>55000683
That's how I would call it, were I not using Busybox as my shell on a uclibc system, with no boatloader.
>>
>>55000407
You probably don't like computers or programming since it doesn't hold your interest.
Maybe get into lifting weights, cars, model trains, or something.
>>
>>55003896
also, good blog
>>
Take LSD
>>
>>55000407
Get away from your computer! You will never think of anything if you are sitting at it. Any problem you will be able to think of will either have its solution already implemented in front of you or be too inane to fix. Look for problems in the real world learn how to do those things by hand and then do it on a computer. A good place to get started is a number theory textbook, preferably one that assumes tthe reader has no interest in computers.
>>
>implying original ideas exist

take something you like and combine it with another thing and you got an "original" idea.
>>
Start a company that provides fast response neighborhood scale WiFi for outages. My internet is currently down and I'd pay about 5 bucks more to a company that provides this service.

But you don't have to become a service provider. You just need to sell this service to providers. Once you get some cash flowing work on the integration of this system with people's rented WiFi routers so that they wouldn't even notice the difference. Also invest in balloon WiFi and stuff. Or invest in me so that I can do it. But I don't want to take risks.
>>
>>55004492
WiFi is difficult, though, specially in crowded places like big cities, isn't it?
>>
>>55004571
I wouldn't know, I'm just an unhappy customer. That is my request, you asked for a project.
>>
>>55000407
>How do you /g/uys find inspiration for projects or shit to do?

We don't learn things with no goal or an idea on how to use them. We learn things in order to achieve some goal. In other words, first we have a "project", then we learn the skills needed to make it happen.

tl;dr up ahead:
The problem with you and other people is that for you ability precedes application. You aggregate skills in order to find some vague use for them, which is unfortunately a natural thing in modern capitalism. It is so because it advocates competition, and most of the people taking part in competitions lose. As a consequence it leads to major waste of work, as the losers try to desperately find applications of their skills doing pointless work in the process. Not to mention the time wasted on gaining the skills there is no need for.
>>
>>55004631
ah. well.
I assume that by wifi you don't mean "internet connection", but simply "wireless connection".
I'm not OP, and while I don't have a deep technical knowledge of wifi, I know that it's hard stuff.
surely most problems can be fixed very easily, though, mostly because people are ignorant and ISPs don't give a shit.

>>55004678
>We don't learn things with no goal or an idea on how to use them.
you need to have some guidance to know what things are useful for, though.
>>
>>55004691
>you need to have some guidance to know what things are useful for, though.
Having a vague knowledge about certain skills so you know what you can do with them (*) and grinding those skills is different.

(*) that's what college is for
>>
>>55004760
so, what do you think we should be doing? should we all learn how to do "programs" in excel, learn how to convince people that our work is reaaaaaaaaaally valuable and difficult for non-tech people, stop learning other programming langs and concepts, and ask financial/econ people for a shitload of money in exchange of said excel programs?
>>
>>55004852
Wouldn't hurt not to undervalue our work for a change, but that's beyond the point. The point is what went wrong if he doesn't know how to use his assets.
>>
>>55004691
>I assume that by wifi you don't mean "internet connection", but simply "wireless connection".
I meant internet connection, I don't care how you provide it. I would pay 5 bucks more per month for anyone who is promising uninterrupted connection to any site that I can post stupid stuff on.
>>
>>55004170

>https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.nask.co/pOMXJq80
>99% as PageSpeed Score
>100% as YSlow score
>0.4s load time

Nice job anon!
>>
>>55000683
>>55001328
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>55000407
Go outside faggot
>>
>>55005011
once again, if you don't have the same life experience as other people do, you need guidance to actually know how to apply your knowledge.

I myself am a NEET, and while I know some programming langs, I have no clue on how to sell myself. why? because my parents are retards, I don't have friends or close people that are programmers and/or business people, and I live far from big cities, where I could get lots of clients easily.
>>
>>55000407
Do a Chip8 interpreter, you won't be bored, just tired of life.
>>
>>55005189
I'm using openshift, which uses amazon. their servers are really fast. plus, as I said, the backend is written in Go, itself being a really performant platform

>>55005135
>I meant internet connection
ah. well, for that kind of stuff, you need a lot of money. (I'm not OP, btw)
>>
>>55005322
I can't believe I'm writing this, but I just realized that the whole situation is exactly the thing Marx meant when he was talking about "alienation of work".
>>
>>55005439
yeah, well, welcome to capitalism. these technical things are so abstracted, it's difficult for some random guy to understand everything. so to get experience, you do what other people want you to do. the other alternative is to exploit other people.
>>
>>55002999
>he doesn't hate GNU
he doesn't exactly like them either after they tried to trick him into making Linux GPL3
>>
>>55002461
Is it called fiverr because every job is done for $5? How the hell are people even making money doing this? Even if this guy wrote the entire desktop application in an hour he is only making $5/hr...

So confused. Cannot stop laughing.
>>
>>55005439
No faghot go read a book
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.