[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How install Ubuntu on a laptop running Windows 10. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Ubuntu OS.jpg (186 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu OS.jpg
186 KB, 1920x1200
How install Ubuntu on a laptop running Windows 10. I've tried before and almost fucked the whole thing up. Links to tutorials are fine.

The web browser was painfully slow. I just really want to run programs and access the net.
>>
File: 1464463073269.jpg (62 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1464463073269.jpg
62 KB, 640x960
>>
If you can't even install Ubuntu just stay on windows
>>
Download the Ubuntu ISO. Write it to a USB drive using Win32DiskImager. Restart the computer and boot from the USB. Follow the installation instructions. Since it's a laptop, you're very likely to need to select "install proprietary/third-party software and drivers" during the installation. That's it.

As far as making it work well, that's a learning process. Early on you'll be using the software center to manage your programs and such. Eventually you'll get used to working in the terminal. Then you can consider switching away from Unity, purging bloat, etc.

I switched from Win10 to Ubuntu on my laptop and it works great. I'm using it right now to reply to you.
>>
>>54998359
>I've tried before and almost fucked the whole thing up
http://ubuntuforums.org/

For most people, installing Ubuntu is super easy.

If you want to dual boot on a computer using the new UEFI firmware then there are a couple of steps you need to take (disabling Fast Startup in windows 10 for example). Most recent tutorials will cover the needed steps (see also the link above).

If you have a Sony or HP laptop then dual booting can be quite painful because they use a custom Non-Standard UEFI firmware. The firmware will allow you to install a linux distro but make it very difficult to boot to it.

I don't know what problems you had installing. But as long as you don't have a sony or hp the install should be very easy.
>>
>>54998452
>Restart the computer and boot from the USB.
On many "modern" computers you will need to disable Fast Boot in the BIOS/Startup settings (Note this is different from the Fast Startup setting in Windows10) before you can boot from a USB.
>>
>>54998359
this is honestly the level of computing knowledge of an above-average person nowadays
>>
>>54998429

This.

>>54998359

Did you ever graduate college OP? https://youtu.be/5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
OP, we can help you install Ubuntu but we cannot help you install the internet.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.