[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legit Concerned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: feel.gif (113 KB, 498x594) Image search: [Google]
feel.gif
113 KB, 498x594
What happens when Windows 7 becomes too old to support new games? Everything after Win10 is just going to be even worse than 10, and more invasive.

I don't think Linux is doing anything to help with the gaming situation. It's all shit.
>>
/v/
>>
The video game industry has crashed before. It wouldn't be surprising if at least part of it crashed again.

Go tell >>>/v/ that all good things come to an end.
>>
>>54994568
>>54994561

So there's nothing on Linux that's coming soon to save us?

What about Vulchan?
>>
>>54994537
If Windows really does hit rock bottom, kids will move on to console, smartphone, tablet and VR games.

Better play that game fast ;)
>>
>>54994537
>Everything after Win10

There will never be anything after W10.

Microsoft will just continue to push updates, bloat and spyware onto W10 until they are bankrupt.
>>
>muh games

Competent devs and publishers whose games are actual games will move to Linux, others whose games are blatant DirectX and/or Windows Store commercials have never been worth your attention and money anyway.

>>>/v/
>>
>>54994537
Isn't one game coming out this year that's windows 10 only?
>>
>>54994537
You have until 2020.
>>
>>54994537
They're just going to call it Windows in the future and drop the numbers. It will be sold as a service since they don't make much money off of the desktop paradigm anymore. It'll be cloud based and probably subscription based.

Install Linux and enjoy the games it has. Lots are native, and almost all can be run through WINE.
>>
File: 1464228014087.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1464228014087.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>54994740
>almost all can be run though wine
At 20 fps with like 50% of the performance of native.
>>
>>54994537
I Tried to run Virtual Desktop for my Oculus Rift on Steam.

After it not working for a while, I read into the fine print: "windows 7 not supported".

Its not a distant future. it's already happening.

since i'm in college, I'm going to upgrade everything I have to windows 8.1. It's not windows 7, but it sure as hell isn't windows 10.
>>
MUH GAYMEN

MOMMY BUY ME THE NEW CARD

Fuck off
>>
>>54994537
Steam is the biggest thing Linux has going for it right now. Civ 5 runs well enough. Stop using Windows as much as possible - push your normie friends to start experimenting with Ubuntu and Mint. As Windows market share decreases developers will make more games available cross-OS.
>>
>>54994537
>Everything after Win10
There won't be anything after 10.
They'll update that shit into the ground.

>I don't think Linux is doing anything to help
By the time 7 gets too old, it will be.

Either that, or we'll have a span of time where everything is shit.
But that will end relatively quickly as developers rush to Linux.
>>
>>54994650
>Competent devs and publishers whose games are actual games will move to Linux

how are you defining competent devs?
>>
>>54994740

TF2 sucks on wine.
>>
>>54994537
The solution is to stop being autistic
>>
>>54995782
>But that will end relatively quickly as developers rush to Linux.

when will Linux be effortless for your average PC user to switch over to from windows?
>>
>>54995799
tf2 runs on linux natively
>>
>>54995802
>Just use 10 guys! What do you have to hide? Let microsoft into your anus! I did!
>>
Once Valve ports Steam to Android x86, it's game over for Microsoft
>>
>>54995850
Or turn most if it off, the people who want the information are going to get it some other way regardless
>>
>>54995853
How would that make a difference? Their foray into Linux was already a failure
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>54995869
Because Google's foray isn't a failure and anyone with a brain can tell they're targeting the desktop market very soon
>>
>>54995813
When Ubuntu comes preinstalled on new computers.
It's already easy AF for people who have installed Windows themselves before
>>
Oddly enough it's going to be google that brings linux to the desktop through a chrome-like linux based OS that runs on all x86 hardware. It will open up game ports and more software to linux in general.
>>
>>54995885
Netbooks aren't desktops suitable for gaming
>>
>>54995857
>turn most of it off

You can't turn it off, at least not all of it. The OS was designed to be spyware.

>they're going to get it anyway

No they won't. You're just going to curl up into a ball and take it? There are alternatives to everything.
>>
>>54995906
It's the platform that matters, not the hardware. ChomeOS and Android will soon be merged together, bringing more software support than any Linux distro out there, but you already knew this. Google already has a presence in the education and mobile markets, as soon as they start selling embedded ChromeBoxs to business, the rigs will follow suit and Steam will be ported.
>>
>>54994537
You'll probably be too old to care about games by then. Hell I was a super /v/irgin 5 years ago and now I can't stomach a video game except for MGS3 sometimes which is the only game I know by heart.
>>
>>54994537

Mono and Wine have come a long way. Also Middleware like SDL, AAA game Engines (like Frostbite, Cryengine) or smaller ones (like Unity) become more and more common ground in gaming.
It will become more and more easier to develop for multiple platforms. After all multi platform development is de facto standard today. Switch to linux
>>
>>54995952
You're posting on 4chan, which uses Google's captchas, and you probably have a phone as well as an ISP tracking everything you do

You people are all idiots for only flipping out when MS started openly tracking what you do, when realistically you've all been tracked for well over a decade by multiple parties
>>
>>54995986
>google captcha
Nothing I can do about that for now, not willing to go to 6+2 chan.

>ISP
vpn

>phone
vpn

>Microsoft OS
don't use one
>>
>>54995788
Those that arent jewed out money sucking parasites so basically most of AAA is out , SJWs , Overall cancerous devs... The pc gaymer as we know it might die , only those capable of running a basic linux os will be pc gaming.

Mobile game companies still make the most money and that fucking meme industry of short gameplay and high reward doesnt seem close to death , no matter what happens to actual vidya.

This may be a good thing... If something were to contain the entirety of pleb gaming on consoles and mobile phones , PC gaming might start to look alot like it did in the 90s. I wanna see more small devs trying out crazy ideas and less yearly episodic bullshit ffs.
>>
>>54995986
not to mention there are rumors Hiroshima will be selling data
>>
>>54994568

Why do gamers even pretend to give a shit how invasive their OS is?

Anti cheat software literally scans through and reports your filesystem and memory contents to prevent something as petty as video game cheating.

Secondly, a certain DRM library obfuscates game executables at run time to lock you out of a game that you are allowing to run on your own computer.
>>
>>54996020
>he thinks a VPN will save him

The United States government knows where you are, your sleeping schedule, what you're searching, things you're buying, who you're fucking/masturbating to
>>
>>54996020
>>phone
>vpn
Holy shit you are retarded. Ever heard of triangulation? NOTHING can hide you from using a phone, the only way is not to have a phone at all.
>>
>>54996043
>will be
>>
>>54994537
>falling for the windows 10 is bad meme
you need to update and soon or else you will have to buy it. 7 and 8 are being phased out, I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't turn off the activation servers for 7 and 8 soon.
>>
File: 1465120185258.jpg (78 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
1465120185258.jpg
78 KB, 500x738
>>54996037
So all we'll get are faggoty indie titles like we already get on Linux? Amazing. I can't wait to find a new hobby.
>>
>>54996050
I already know the NSA is buttraping me. No way around that.

>>54996066
I also understand what triangulation is. I meant web history, not location.

When you walk down a downtown street you are filmed by an average of 7 cameras per minute. GPS is tracking your every move aswell. The IRS and ATF also watch you.

Location/government surveilance is inevitable under current laws.
>>
>>54995075
If you have a shitty machine
>>
>>54996105
Basically. But you get more of those. Also the kind of AAA company still making PC games in this situation already have a fanbase that isnt primarily console if windows declines.

so MMO nerds and simfags will stay. I can guarantee you VR will stick to PC too , since PSVR / console VR / VR overall is a meme. A 1000$ computer can barely run most VR gear along with a graphic intensive game without reaching searing temps. , dont make me believe a dignified 400$ box stamped with a sony logo will deliver a consumer grade experiene without melting.
>>
>>54996243

>consumer grade experiene

I would be happy with 60fps ps2 graphics on a DK1
>>
>>54996359
Thats the dk2. VR isnt laggy , it just looks shitty in every aspect.
>>
>>54996243
I just want to play Metroid Prime with VR, nothing else
>>
>>54996448
I honestly cant think of anything more nausea inducing
>>
>>54996546
Maybe you just lack the proper cerebral development
>>
I guess console will be the new masterace
>>
>>54994537
GNU/Linux?
>>
>>54995799
TF2 is native tho.
Along with ~1800 other games on Steam.
>>
>>54996563
To do what ? Watch random blobs of pixels zoom by ? Metroid prime is fast paced as fuck , Playing it on vr guarantees vomit.
>>
>>54996546
I don't understand this meme

Are people actually throwing up while using VR? Are they the same people that throw up on roller coasters?
>>
>>54996095
At this very moment Google is paying Hiroshima Nagasaki good money for having us to feed their machine learning systems using their capchas.
>>
Why are you even still pushing this retarded meme? I have 113 games on Steam and last time I checked 84 were available for Linux as well. Linux has a shit ton of games.
>>
>>54994695
There was Quantum Break, but that was on the xbox and playstaytion too
>>
File: laughingspacepirates.png (155 KB, 706x587) Image search: [Google]
laughingspacepirates.png
155 KB, 706x587
>>54996684
>Metroid prime is fast paced as fuck
>>
>>54996448
>a non 2D Metroid
>>>/trash/
>>
File: 14531.jpg (195 KB, 851x257) Image search: [Google]
14531.jpg
195 KB, 851x257
>>54996742
>he thinks he's some special elitist for restricting himself to only 2D Metroid platformers
>>
File: when i listen to eurobeat.webm (509 KB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
when i listen to eurobeat.webm
509 KB, 720x406
>>54996742
sup hipster
>>
>>54996701
warping combined with latency and screendoor is a bit nauseating. Never threw up while using my headset but people that easily throw up might want to reconsider VR experience that have a somewhat fast gameplay.
>>
>>54996736
>running around shooting stuff
>turn into ball and roll like sonic in small ass tunnel

>slow paced
>>
>>54996796
>filename
lel

>>54996882
It's still a fairly slow paced game, Samus really doesn't run in it
You methodically explore the world and occasionally encounter enemies that would require you to strafe

It's not like you can shinespark in it and skip entire section of the world
>>
Windows 8.1 is great
>>
>>54994537
Let's be serious here anon, nethack/angband/zangband and dwarf fortress are the only games worth playing.
>>
>>54994537
>Everything after Win10

You really think there is going to be another operating system? Its going to be Windows 10.1, Windows 10.2 just like OSX. Microsoft has already announced that windows 10 will be the last windows operating system they produce. They have no other operating systems in the works, all development is going into future updates to windows 10.

You will have to join the botnet eventually.
>>
>>54996742
Metroid prime was a great game, stop shitposting.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.