[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I spent my life using vim, and endlessly tweaking its config
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: vregreet.gif (94 KB, 1122x820) Image search: [Google]
vregreet.gif
94 KB, 1122x820
I spent my life using vim, and endlessly tweaking its config and installing and plugins.

I don't feel much more productive than just using something like VS Code, Notepad++ or even MSVS. Have I wasted my life? Should I have just used emacs from the start?
>>
evil-mode
>>
>>54994475
just use an ide
i recommend pycharm for python
>>
>>54994475

this image again... everyone having at least a remote idea how to use vim can see that in this particular image vim was deliberately made look bad.
>no tabs
>all the buffers, no matter how useless on a single screen
>>
>>54994475

No. You do save your .vimrc file yes? Cause that means you take your editor with you to any job or any machine.
>>
Is there a current favorite addon system of the community at large? I think I used vundle last time I tried this and will probably stick to it unless I have reason to change. Or was it pathogen? Cant remember.
>>
File: 1463217398857.jpg (115 KB, 500x393) Image search: [Google]
1463217398857.jpg
115 KB, 500x393
E M A C S
M
A
C
S
>>
Why aren't you using gnu nano?
>>
>>54994823

Fuck off Stallman.
>>
>>54994837
Nano is just Notepad/Gedit for the command line
>>
>>54994837

Nano is the thing you use when you ssh into something and there is no other option.
>>
>>54994796

vundle is great.

PluginInstall link_to/github_repo

but afaik vundle/pathogen are quite similar
>>
>>54994898
>>54994906
I don't use vim for this exact reason.
No bloated features mean I can't turn my text editor into a timesink.
>>
>>54994906

> and there is no vi/vim.
>>
>>54994922
>bloated features
Vim isn't emacs, you only get bloat if you start installing plugins. By default, Vim is a very simple editor with a ton of features that actually make your life easier if you know how to use them, but it in no way forces you to use those features.
>>
>>54994796

Fuck it going with vundle.

>>54994945
This. The only time it happened to me was when I had to work on some freebsd derivative shit.
>>
>>54994475
Have you tried ViEmu for MSVS?

It's ridiculously awesome. You get all the sweet MSVS completion features with all the Vim keybindings.
>>
>>54994475
da fuq is all that shit?
I can see the value in the git tree drawings but
the rest just looks like clutter.
I'd be inclined to think that maybe it's part of your workflow and that you get really swift at it but since you're saying you're not productive I'll go ahead and guess you're a ricer.
You've spent your years ricing your vim thinking THAT is going to boost your productivity
you poor creature.
Just look at that airline-mode or whatever statusline, gee, what the fuck purpose does it serve?
I use almost vanilla Vim, been using it for a few months, and already feel more swift in my text editing tasks (don't let 'em fool you boys: vim is a text editor, not an IDE/OS).
Now when I don't have vim keybinding I miss jumping around and deleting/moving blocks of text with simple keystrokes and my set of standard macros
>>
>>54994782
I do. My ~/.vim is a git repo that I keep synced between all my machines.
>>
You know. I remember doing to Vim tutorial years ago but just kind of forgot everything and stuck with Nano. I do like Vim though. It even has mouse support. It's just not enabled by default.
>>
>>54994526
>just use an IDE
why
>>
>>54994985

Its a troll image
>>
>>54994526

(g)vim + vim-ipython + terminal running ipython. Beats every IDE known to mankind
>>
>>54995133
OP here. I don't actually code in python. ocaml is what I code in at work.
>>
>>54995162

https://opam.ocaml.org/blog/turn-your-editor-into-an-ocaml-ide/
>>
I just added colorscheme solarized to my .vimrc. When I open vim it says cannot find colorscheme solarized. And yet it is now in the solarized colors. I am pretty sure I used vundle correctly to install it.
>>
>>54997202

Nevermind the clusterfuck is evolving I will figure it out.
>>
>>54994475
98% of the plugins are useless bullshitbloat, "tweaks" are more less scripts that do nothing but making you dumb

Keep it simple, there is no need for syntax highlightning or some special snowflake filemanager-esque plugin. If VIM would be more powerful with all this bullshit, they would integrate it
>>
>>54994475
Vim is awful neckbeard tier bullshit. If you are a neckbeard, by all means keep wasting your time with it, but if not, just use Visual Studio like the professionals.
>>
>>54997309

it's free, it's fast, it's portable, it is performant. As a side node: you can easily edit and organise your files with vim and still use Visual Studios tool chain
>>
The only good thing about vim is the keybinds, you fell for the meme but at least you escaped. Pick the right editor/IDE for the job. There is no one-size-fits-all solution
>>
>>54995162
Where? Jane Street?
>>
>>54994985
There's no git tree drawing in that image, what you're probably referring to is Gundo, which has nothing to do with git.
>>
>>54997238
I find NERDTree extremely useful when browsing unknown code bases, it's obviously useless when you're working on one you're accustomed with, since then you'll just want to use command-t or Ctrl-P.

And proper syntax highlighting helps quite a bit, especially if you also have syntastic.
>>
File: 1455907665270.jpg (141 KB, 600x646) Image search: [Google]
1455907665270.jpg
141 KB, 600x646
>>54994475
can anyone give me a list of plugins used in that image?
>>
Then you're using it wrong.
>>
>>54994999
can you provide some general scripts/commands for getting into git? Do you store them on github or somewhere privately?
>>
>>54995162
what the fuck is ocaml
>>
>>54994475
Ok can someone tell me what VIM is and why I should use it over an IDE?
>>
>>54994475
You should have learnt KDEvelop
>>
>>54997824
ohhhh yes it's the undo tree
An application that draws the git commit tree would be cool tho
>>
Emacs and lisp are awesome, fuck vimscript. Join the Emacs master race and bring your bindings with you, you won't have to learn anything when it comes to editing.
>>
File: editorlearningcurve.png (5 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
editorlearningcurve.png
5 KB, 600x400
>>
>>54994960
>Vim isn't emacs
That's odd because
>a very simple editor with a ton of features that actually make your life easier if you know how to use them, but it in no way forces you to use those features
this describes Emacs much better than Vim.

Vim comes with things like spell checking compiled in, whereas Emacs relies on external programs for that. Also, all of Emacs's features are loaded on demand. Don't use them, they won't be loaded.

Meanwhile, Vim loads all of its features (compiled into one binary), even if you don't use them.
>>
Is it okay to use emacs? I started just for org-mode because no other free software handled repeating tasks how I needed, and I like my .org files can be backed up to paper.
>>
>>54994526
This
>>
>>54998492
google it faggot.
>>
>>54994837
I am though
why would I use a shit editor that has no hotkeys? nano is the best.
>>
>>55005289
>Vim comes with things like spell checking compiled in
And emacs comes with a mode to write emails. Both have bloat.
>>
>>54995162
I admit I envy you...
>>
>>54994475
Lol Autist

t.geany user
>>
>>54998403
nobody? i want to try those out
>>
>>55005332
>Is it okay to use emacs?
why are you asking /g/
Emacs is the best
>>
>>54994475
Just use whatever you like. Vim is good, sublime text/atom/vs code is good, IDE's are good.
>>
>>54998403

NERDTree is the first on the left. Which usually isnt on screen unless you are browsing through folders of files.

The code on the top and bottom are probably tmux or some kind of screen split thing. Essentially allowing 2 files to be open.

Honestly its hard to tell its really a troll image made to make vim look like a clusterfuck.
>>
>>55005882
fuck you and fuck vim
>>
>>54998492

Shit loads of people store their .vimrc files on github but you might want to look at some youtube videos of college vim lectures to learn the starter stuff.

Looking at someones .vimrc is like to get you lost there is alot more then addons in there people set all kinds of shortcuts keybinds and even a few personally spell check subs for things they fuck up regularly.
>>
>>55005332

Plenty of people use it. Up to you anon.
>>
>>55009729

.vimrc is like a .bashrc file it travels with the person across machines and even operating systems. Getting built up over time to make the system work just how they like it. Its not something you can or should just copy off someone.
>>
File: audioautists.png (1 MB, 1142x616) Image search: [Google]
audioautists.png
1 MB, 1142x616
>>55006982
this tbhfam
using a riced out text editor as an ide is maximum autism
>>
Has anyone tried the Unite vim plugin? It's apparently supposed to replace the likes of NerdTree, Ack, Ctrl-P and many other plugins.

Does it actually do as it says?

https://github.com/Shougo/unite.vim
>>
I don't care for all the plugins but modal editing is the best thing God ever created and vim gets it just right
>>
>>54994526
an IDE? and you say that you're a coder?
+ an ide for... a SCRIPTING LANGUAGE? for java, I understand, but not for fucking python please noob
>>
>>55011951
another /g/ "programmer" who's largest project was fizzbuzz in C/<random functional language>
>>
>>55012017
I've never touched functionnal languages and no, my biggest projects are games in C and C++ (unfinshed but still).
>>
>>54997238
>there is no need for syntax highlightning
VIM users, everybody
>>
>>55012109
>thinks that because a fucker said no to SH it means every vim user doesnt use SH
>>
>>55012139
oh, fuck off... I bet you use mutt for your emails too
>>
>>55012198
Nope, I use a web browser for that. And I use vim in a gui.
>>
>>55012198
I use emacs for that
>>
>>55012109
I'm a vim user with syntax on. Your post has been debunked.
>>
>>55011888
You find this sort of statement on places like 4chan and HN all the time, but when you look at the best programmers in the fucking world, they're all using non-modal editors.

Why do you think that is?

Maybe modal editing is great for editing, but shit for writing? A good programmer does more writing than editing, think so? So they shouldn't need much more than something like acme's mouse selection feature so they can quickly delete and change blocks and something like sed.
>>
>>55012662
Linus uses emacs
>>
>>55012857

I've decided to take the plunge and learn either vim or emacs.

Sell me on Emacs, you shill

(I'm aware)
>>
>>54994475
looks bloated as fuck
>>
All these faggots who are scorning IDE's have never worked on a large project. GTFO NEETs.
>>
Vim/Emacs are those things people pretend to use but when nobody's watching, they use modern, actually good editors like Sublime Text, Brackets, Atom, Eclipse, etc.
>>
>>55012886
I won't sell you on anything, use whatever you like. In fact, learn both give each a week and see what you like more.
>>
>>55012904
>not listing jetbrains software
>>
>>55012911

What about not using JetBrains software?

If you're going to say it's "better", what about it is if better?
>>
>>55012904
bullshit, at my workplace a lot of people are using vim.
>>
>>55012937
I'm just a web dev, so I can only speak for Webstorm...
https://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

Compare that with Sublime Text or Atom for instance. These are great editors, no doubt, but Webstorm has so much more and also better features, the other ones can't compete.
>>
>>55012904
Why would anyone waste their time using inefficient shit like you've mentioned?

You have to move your hand every 5 seconds to use the mouse. It's a time waster.
>>
>>55011951
>an ide for... a SCRIPTING LANGUAGE?
Do you have your own thoughts?
>>
>>55013050

RubyMine is pretty great. It's nice having IDE-level debugging for shit instead of just a primitive cmdline like with byebug.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.