[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Linux on the desktop fail? Maybe because it was never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: grave-600x575.jpg (113 KB, 600x575) Image search: [Google]
grave-600x575.jpg
113 KB, 600x575
Why did Linux on the desktop fail?

Maybe because it was never meant to be a desktop but a server OS
>>
>>54994125
>Why did Linux on the desktop fail?
It didn't. People are currently using Linux on the desktop.
>>
>>54994125
Enjoy your malware or uncustomizable babby OS.
>>
>>54994175
Yeah, but that's about only 1% of the desktop marketshare
>>
>>54994228
And?
>>
Except Linus started Linux as a desktop OS so he could have *nix on his desktop.
>>
>>54994206
Enjoy your dead OS with no mainstream support
>>
I'll let Linus Torvalds answer that for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFKxlYNfT_o
>>
>>54994244
>no mainstream support
Such as?
>>
File: EFFECTIVE EVANGELISM.jpg (154 KB, 957x717) Image search: [Google]
EFFECTIVE EVANGELISM.jpg
154 KB, 957x717
>>54994125
EFFECTIVE EVANGELISM
>>
>>54994270
>no photoshop
>no itunes
>no vidya
>no foobar2000
>no mpc-hc

Trash
>>
>>54994228
This is still 1 of each 100 users of desktops and laptops on earth, how many users is that?
>>
There are literally only disadvantages using linux
>>
>>54994295
Plenty of better alternatives
>>
It really didn't. Only gaymen faggots complain about Linux on desktop.
>>
>>54994295
>foobar
>mpc-hc
>itunes

So no shitty programs? sign me in.
>>
>>54994304

I just tested positive for gonorrhea.
I got it from your mother.
>>
>>54994125
Chromebooks outsell Macs 3 to 1 in the US so at least Linux won Mac OS X in the desktop
>>
>>54994295
>mpc
>foobar
>mainstream

Only one you named that actually makes sense is photoshop, the rest is either garbage or manchild shit.
>>
>>54994295
>no photoshop
GIMP, Krita, Inkscape, photoshop on wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw

>no itunes
If you really need to buy apple devices which are restrictive as fuck even on windows then go for it

>no vidya
This argument is false right now and it's getting even weaker:
https://steamdb.info/linux/

>no foobar2000
You can run it on wine if you need it so much but linux definitely has no shortage on music players, if you tell me that the only good one is foobar well... that your opinion man.

>no mpc-hc
mpv by itself is better and theres a lot of GUIs for it like smplayer.

>Trash
Seriously, i get you don't like linux but why do you need to paint it as thrash? There's any good reason or you only see this as a tribal war?
>>
>>54994244
>RHEL and Linus build most of the system
>Google or Mozilla make the browsers
>community provides misc apps and support

Honestly what else would I need at this point? Everything just works and I want to start contributing myself.

I don't need a Pajeet telling me to disable 50 instances of spyware on Windows through registry hacks, because at the end of the day it's a spying, bloated, disorganized piece of shit. Windows programs are literally worse than Linux programs, built by volunteers.

Neither do I need to install an outdated piece of shit that isn't even optimized for modern hardware. I would take OS X under some circumstances, but Macs are expensive and probably not really my thing anyway.
>>
>>54994295
Photoshop is the only useful software that you named here and GIMP gets the job done just fine for the average user.

Everything else is deprecated trash, mpv alone beats all the garbage media programs you named.
>>
>>54994125
>Why did Linux on the desktop fail?
Nobody went on to create comfortable user enviroment.
>>
>>54994125
Who said that loonix is meant as a server OS?

I use loonix on my desktop, just werks and fills out all my needs.
>>
Moreover I think it was meant to be used by people who know what they're doing. I don't mean that as a pejorative. Foe example if I want to change my audio output device on Windows I don't have to know exactly where that option is. All I have to know is "go to settings/Control Panel, look for sound." With enough reading I'll eventually find the drop-down that I want.

Across Linux distros and DEs, there's no unified "settings." There's not necessarily one at all. In that GUI interface there's not necessarily something called "sound" and only half of the available sound options might even be listed there. I have to either know myself or find someone who does know exactly which value in which file somewhere on my computer needs to be edited.

That's what I mean by knowing what one is doing. There is quite often very little hope for basic discovery on a Linux system the way there is on Windows/OSX. I'm forever looking stuff up because I'll never stumble upon it with a little common sense. Desktop OSes thrive on users getting by on intuition alone.
>>
>>54994125
It was never meant to be anything but a toy really. Thats why linus never bothered to make a gui or userspace tools for it. Linux distros are just a mish mash of like 3 different open sores projects.
>>
>>54994304
>There are literally only disadvantages using linux
ok, if being able to do all my work with direct access to tons of useful programs that can be distributed without restrictions while at the same time having access to a lot of proprietary software like games if i need it, and knowing that using open and well documented format and APIs protects me from locking myself into only one ecosystem allowing me to open my files everywhere and deploy my programs on a lot of platforms if required, at the same time there's full transparency and i know it's not easy for my software provider to push bullshit on me and i don't have to accept it because i don't have any dependency on them are considered disadvantages, then yes, i guess you're right.
>>

▲▲
>>
It is 1.55%, 2.1% if you count chromeOS
>>
>>54994281
For tough talk, that's actually very reasonable.
>>
>>54994304
okay list them
>>
>>54994125
By the normal definitions of "fail" and "succeed", it hasn't done either because it's still in the shadows.

It's still used, though.
>>
>>54994125
Linus invented Linux to use on his desktop
>>
>>54994295
>no photoshop
I'll give you this one, although GIMP is getting better
>no itunes
HAHA
>no vidya
get a PS4 already, it actually has games now
>no foobar2000
Clementine is like a million times better than that shit and it can scrobble last.fm now without a plugin
>no mpc-hc
email madshi and tell him to port madvr to mpv
>>
File: 2016-06-09-12:29:11.png (30 KB, 798x627) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-09-12:29:11.png
30 KB, 798x627
>>54994482
>click sound icon
>sound settings

It's not my fault you got meme'd into an obscure tiling DE so you could rice your weaboo shit
>>
Because most people never change the os that comes on their system.
I'm sure that's why windows 10 is a forced upgrade because people just wouldn't do it any other way.

I would say linux should come preinstalled on some computers as an option, but people would be confused by it being not windows.
There would need to be some cheesy 90 style video that came with it explaining how it is different if you wanted it to work.
>>
>>54994566
>obscure tiling DE
There's no obscure tiling El Capitan.

>Across Linux distros and DEs, there's no unified "settings."
Unless every Linux desktop looks and works exactly like yours, you added nothing to that sentence.
>>
>>54994125
It failed because of systemd/anything lennart-related, really; and canonical.
>>
>>54994603
systemd's made Linux 10x more usable
>>
File: 1436439080383.png (31 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
1436439080383.png
31 KB, 500x283
>>54994125
>>
>>54994482
>click on sound
>only a slider
>have to open start menu>control panel>sound settings
>just to even modify anything

GNU/Linux:
>Click sound button. Change all settings
>>
>>54994516
>2.1% if you count gentoo GNU
???
>>
>>54994615
less*
sorry, typo
>>
>>54994595
>implying that having every linux desktop operate in the exact same way is a good thing
>>
>>54994624
That's actually pretty true, with the caveat that there isn't any real alternative to this situation. Gentoo is unironically the only distro that works for me, but unfortunately it has a lot of ill-maintained packages.
>>
>>54994516
wow it's fucking nothing
>>
File: tips.png (331 KB, 474x432) Image search: [Google]
tips.png
331 KB, 474x432
>>54994392
>my OS doesn't have these programs, so they're shit
>>
>>54994125
Because LinuS is bankrupt and FINISHED! XD
>>
>>54994627
>GNU/Linux:
>>Click sound button
Button?

I'm being cheeky but seriously, you guys are intentionally missing
>Across Linux distros and DEs, there's no unified "settings."
over and over again.

Let me lay it out in something that will tickle your e-peens: Linux on the desktop WOULDN'T fail if across all distros there was uniformity and an overarching philosophy of "most everything a user wants is readily discoverable in the DE." Neither of those are true across the board.
>>
>>54994694
foobar is more autistic fedoraness than any program on linux
>>
File: mopping.png (71 KB, 962x229) Image search: [Google]
mopping.png
71 KB, 962x229
>>54994534
If you say so, i don't want to support those guys, they're batshit crazy and they think their money protects them from anything including manipulating what media says about them.

http://techrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/comes-3096.pdf

I just don't want to support them because i know they try to lock their users from any possibility of choosing any competing product even if it's by dirty means, they see this as a war where everything is valid, is up to each one if any of you feel sympathy for that.
>>
File: pitux3_full.png (3 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
pitux3_full.png
3 KB, 720x400
>>54994658
For the Linux desktop to be successful? Absolutely yes. 100% that would be the single most good thing that could happen.

>>54994701
Also I forgot the pic.
>>
>>54994482
The real problem is people and even software distributors don't know how to assemble the right pieces. If you know what software to choose in Linux, you're golden. There's a good, stable and fast program for absolutely anything a home user might need.
>>
>>54994701
>most everything a user wants is readily discoverable in the DE

but they are, obviously you haven't used a modern DE in the last three years

>>54994719
>For the Linux desktop to be successful? Absolutely yes. 100% that would be the single most good thing that could happen.

Then just use GNOME since that's what Fedora and non-cancer Ubuntu uses, which make up the majority of linux users
>>
>>54994300
sounds like a weekend project for you, anon. godspeed!
>>
>>54994739
Sure. For the kind of uniformity and discoverability I'm talking about to work, the right pieces must be chosen and be presented to the user right "out of the box."
>>
>less choice is a good thing

kill yourself macfags, I don't give a fuck if you don't use linux/gnu

the only reason you're so butthurt is because your own OS is le shit and you are constantly searching for an alternative
>>
File: 1450649973835.png (79 KB, 1395x691) Image search: [Google]
1450649973835.png
79 KB, 1395x691
>>54994125
>>
File: b_xD.jpg (189 KB, 1000x967) Image search: [Google]
b_xD.jpg
189 KB, 1000x967
>Lincucks bash Windows 10 for not gaining traction early on even though they're giving it away for free.
>Linux has been given away for free since forever and still only has 1.8% market share.
>>
>>54994244
You do understand that there would be no Internet as we know it today without Linux and Unix, right? The only field Linux hasn't completely taken over is desktop.
>>
>>54994701
>if across all distros there was uniformity and an overarching philosophy
I don't think we should regulate a free market.
What if someone doesn't have a certain feature?
Should it not be allowed to be in the repositories?
>>
>>54994767
W H O C A R E S
H
O

C
A
R
E
S

Seriously, give me one good reason why I should care whether or not linux/gnu caters to your whims

I don't give a flying fuck, linux works on my desktop and has worked on my desktop for a decade

just because you keep taking the corporate cock and are either too lazy or too stupid to make the switch doesn't concern me in the least
>>
>>54994767
Yup. This is why I mentioned the distributors aka the people in charge of the large distros.

I thought Crunchbang was a brilliant concept and execution for desktop Linux. Such a shame it was cut short.
>>
>>54994788
>Lincucks bash Windows 10 for not gaining traction early on

>things that never happened
>things that delusional windows users make up in their heads
>>
>>54994125
Is this the year of the linux gaming desktop or is that next year?
>>
>>54994793
I wouldn't call that a dead OS.
>>
>>54994788
>installing malware
>>
>>54994824
don't care

gaming is for man babbies and literal babbies and neither should have any influence on a computer OS
>>
>>54994755
> a modern DE
Which? They're not all identical. It's a wild absolute claim that with handfuls of DEs out there, they're all definitively offering the user most everything in a readily discoverable way. Some are. Some aren't, if for no other reason than the fact that they're different from one another. Some options and settings are bound to be in more or less intuitive places from one DE to the next.

>>54994755
Actually if you said that to the groups who release Linux distros and not me, I'd be behind you on that. Yes. Pick one environment, make it as thoroughly intuitive as possible and set it as the default for all installations. I don't just mean "it's the pre-selected DE during installation." I mean as one automatically installed. Want another? You have to go totally out of your way post-install. Otherwise everyone is looking at the exact same thing.
>>
>>54994821
>i dindu nuffin
>>
>>54994855
GNOME, Cinnamon, and KDE

>Want another? You have to go totally out of your way post-install. Otherwise everyone is looking at the exact same thing.

>implying this is desirable or good

seriously, take your BS mentality and philosophy elsewhere, this is completely contrary to the unix philosophy and only someone that enjoys living in a fishbowl would say
>>
>>54994712
>>54994712
there's a linux distro literally named fedora
>>
File: 1464658363610.png (218 KB, 300x366) Image search: [Google]
1464658363610.png
218 KB, 300x366
As Ive grown older, I have become less and less likely to own a device I do not put Linux on. And I don't even know the OS that well.

If you enjoy computers, there is no excuse not to dual boot, and I mean that.

Take the next step, newcunts
>>
>>54994884
and it was called that long before it was ever a meme

it is the stepping stone to red HAT, now you know why it's called fedora and why its spinoff is called chapeau
>>
>>54994799
I'm not making claims about how things should be in an academic sense. I'm talking purely pragmatically here.

>>54994803
Because you're an intelligent person able to mull over ideas even if they don't appy to you personally :^)

>>54994820
Crunchbang was nice. Perhaps not quite as intuitive as I'm thinking because of Openbox's ridiculous demand of "just click your right mouse button asshole" but the software choices were solid.
>>
>>54994881
>only someone that enjoys living in a fishbowl would say
No shit, why do you think I'm presenting this as a route to success for the Linux desktop? I'm saying fishbowls would do it.

>implying this is desirable
No, I'm explicitly saying it's functional. Whether it fits the philosophy or your desires is not the point.
>>
>>54994920
>mull over ideas even if they don't appy to you personally

says the guy that wants to make all linux distros use the exact same DE
>>
>>54994946
>No shit, why do you think I'm presenting this as a route to success for the Linux desktop? I'm saying fishbowls would do it.

So in other words you want to make Linux just like the other OSes that you are abandoning? Sounds like a good idea

>No, I'm explicitly saying it's functional.
Functional for who? You? Newbies? Why should the direction of an OS be dictated by people that don't understand how to use it or the philosophy behind it?
>>
>>54994946

Well good thing no one cares about your opinion.
>>
>>54994295
for foobar2000 you can have:
http://freecode.com/projects/deadbeef

One dev is came foobar too and it's pretty stable.

>mpc-hc

The hell is that?

>>54994388
What's next? Implying Gentoo is moar popular than OSX? It's not true and you know why.

>>54994646
Less is more.

>>54994820
>I thought Crunchbang was a brilliant concept and execution for desktop Linux. Such a shame it was cut short

Still exist in a way. I never liked openbox, so i didn't care.
>>
>>54994979
>So in other words you want to make Linux just like the other OSes that you are abandoning?
In this particular sense, yes. I want Linux distros to borrow off of exactly what it is that makes other OSes thrive right now. I want that special sauce to be ripped off and put on the Linux burger so that people eat it up. I want to steal other people's successful ideas.

>Functional for who? You? Newbies? Why should the direction of an OS be dictated by people that don't understand how to use it or the philosophy behind it?
For newbies, and for its success as a desktop OS. That's the premise of this thread. Have a bunch of people sit down together with one DE, make it as comprehensive and intuitive as possible (making and modifying tools as needed) and then distribute that as the default DE of all release-distro installations going forward. No more need for threads like this.
>>
>>54994894
>trump
Opinion discarded.
>>
The "1% marketshare" of Linux desktop users are all the people out there who actually care about computing as a hobby and would own a desktop computer no matter what. The other 99%, the Windows and OSX users, are the people who probably would have never owned a desktop in the first place if MS and Apple didn't make something specifically targetting the mainstream.

Linux never "lost" the market to MS and Apple, MS and Apple just created their own (much bigger) new market of normies by convincing every normie they needed a desktop computer. The market that otherwise would have never owned a computing device until smartphones came along.
>>
>>54994990
>good thing Linux will remain a failed desktop OS
If I'm right with this opinion, no, that's not a good thing at all.
>>
>>54994920
>I'm not making claims about how things should be in an academic sense. I'm talking purely pragmatically here.
but that's the thing.
It is not practical to regulate these things.
Say all users wanted a system where settings were easy to find (if that's the criteria).
This already exists, so we could just pick one. Say we put gnu/linux with KDE on all computers.
Then the experience would be consistent across all desktops, settings would be just as easy to find and all your "problems" is solved.
I know a lot of people would prefer to use something else, and they should. And this is why the market is how it is today.
There is still professions which relies on special software, which right now is not available on gnu/linux, and nobody is willing to pay what they are paying for proprietary software to free software projects.
Imagine if companies paid $4000/year per person to the software project they relied on.
So many developers would flock to those projects so they could get in on that.
>>
>>54995070
>I know a lot of people would prefer to use something else, and they should. And this is why the market is how it is today.
The market which was presented at the very start as "Linux on the desktop fail[ed]."

>and they should
Sure. I'm not against the existence of alternatives. I'm simply saying they shouldn't be offered or installed by default. I want the market to be different than it is today.

>professions which relies on special software, which right now is not available on gnu/linux
It's a bit like that in reverse today. I just want it to be the other way around. You need special Windows/OSX software? Great, you can be part of the small market share who has to own one of those machines.

>nobody is willing to pay what they are paying for proprietary software to free software projects.
You're dragging this so hard into the philosophical again, as if Linux as a successful desktop OS wouldn't be dominated by a 90+% use case of "checking Facebook."
>>
tfw i installed Ubuntu 8.04 in a VM today to check how shitty it was compared to a modern OS
>200MB ram used
>0~1% processor use when running firefox, all on 1 core only
>firefox takes 45MB of ram to view /g/
>all these options and submenus everywhere
>alsa/oss/pulseaudio preinstalled and working
>everything is super comfy compared to modern MATE system (since 8.04 used gnome2)
but one thing:
>the fucking input lag on mouse that is the same on MATE
we have to go back tho.
>>
>>54995041
>I want Linux distros to borrow off of exactly what it is that makes other OSes thrive right now

then you should be bugging computer manufacturers to ship linux distros by default

>>54995041
>then distribute that as the default DE of all release-distro installations going forward

NO FUCKING LINUX DEVS WOULD EVER DO THIS BECAUSE IT DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS EVERYTHING THAT LINUX STANDS FOR

WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS

THE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY USE LINUX DON'T WANT YOUR IDEAS AND THINK THEY ARE POISON

YOUR IDEAS WOULD LEAD TO EVEN MORE FRAGMENTATION IN THE LINUX WORLD AS DEVS SPLIT DUE TO PHILOSOPHICAL ISSUES WITH CREATING A 'ONE DE FOR ALL'

YOU ARE A LINUX NOOB AND DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT MAKES IT GREAT THEREFORE YOU CANNOT EVEN COMPREHEND WHY YOUR IDEAS SEEM FUCKING RETARDED TO THE LINUX COMMUNITY
>>
>>54995125
>YOU ARE A LINUX NOOB AND DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT MAKES IT GREAT THEREFORE YOU CANNOT EVEN COMPREHEND WHY YOUR IDEAS SEEM FUCKING RETARDED TO THE LINUX COMMUNITY

He typed in all caps
>>
>>54994175

Linux on desktops is so irrelevant when Windows in smartphones.
>>
>>54994624
>don't work
as in
>i'm incompetent to learn about the OS and operate it all by my self so it's automatically broken by my standards
?
>>
Why do you guys reply to these threads every single day?
>>
Linux is only good for special purposes like hacking or torshit. Only an idiot would use it as a daytoday os. It will literallydrive you insane and eat up yourtime.

Run from a live cd or usb when you need it. Dont fucking live in it.
>>
>>54995125
>WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS
I do understand it. I'm saying that it's antithetical to the success of Linux as a successful desktop OS.

>cruise control
An idea can solve a problem even if you neither agree with the idea nor agree with the problem. You sound like you're incapable of talking about stuff in the hypothetical.
>>
>>54994431
Gimp is trash to be honest. Does Photoshop actually work properly on wine?
>>
>>54995186
>Windows is the best and ONLY os you should use because... well... uh... well JUST USE IT FAGGOT!!!!
is all i heard
>>
>>54995193
>success of Linux as a successful desktop OS

why does this matter
>>
>>54995211
When I tried to use pirated Photoshop on Wine it was pretty messy.

Single-window GIMP is great to me. I have even successfully used it for web graphics. It's more straightforward than Photoshop..
>>
>>54994228
how has it "failed" when people are still using it?
>>
>>54995223
Because it's the topic of a thread which started with "Why did Linux on the desktop fail?"
>>
>>54994125
Another day, another "Linux is dead" thread by pajeet. I use Windows 10 at home and Ubuntu on my work machine. umadbro?
>>
>>54995248
the question itself is moronic and bait. only someone that doesn't understand linux at all would create it. there literally is no point in discussing it. it is equivalent with Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
>>
>>54995276
This cannot be true. Linux has never and will never work on the Desktop until they create a single unified DE for every single distro.
>>
What can I do Linux that I could not do on Windows? Fucking nothing
I don't have to worry about anything being not supported because everything is
>>
>>54995276
>he uses ubuntu on a computer

stop lying anon

>>54995335
>What can I do Linux that I could not do on Windows?

one line update command for the whole OS and every single program that's installed

sudo dnf update --refresh -y

Done.
>>
File: output.webm (615 KB, 844x898) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
615 KB, 844x898
>linux in charge of not breaking at the most basic of tasks
>>
>>54995388
I use hexchat it had such a huge bug that the file explorer didn't even work in windows. I told them about it in chat and they fixed it fast but still it's like they don't even test the software.
>>
>>54995388
>implying my W10 start menu doesn't break every 3 days, forcing me to restart explorer

also

>using a deprecated gtk DE
>using a M$-cuck theme and not expecting it to break on purpose
>>
>>54995055
Everything started with IBM PC clones... But PC is dieing and Windows can't break out from the X86 cage.
>>
>>54994125
when did it fail? and how?
>>
>>54995388
>themes his desktop to look like windows
>expects it not to break

topkek
>>
>>54994125
>Maybe because it was never meant to be a desktop but a server OS
it wasn't meant to be anything, it just was.
>>
>>54995385
So pretty much automatic updates? You know we've had that on Windows for forever right?
>>
>>54995388
>why is my old as fuck gtk theme not working with the new advanced menu anymore?!?!
K E K
E
K
>>
>>54995388
Should webm an attempt at installing ubuntu desu, it can fail (installer crash, installer hang, fail to boot, fail to decrypt) in something like 20 different ways in a single attempt.
>>
>>54995116
I wouldn't object to having a default gnu/linux installation on all computers.
But then the argument is that we should force all people who sell computers to install gnu/linux on them.
As long as the DE is the same, the settings etc would be the same.
I am not really sure why it isn't already done, a single person can within a week of purchasing a laptop get it to work with gnu/linux and finding which drivers work.
It is not like lenovo offers support in how to do X in windows, so all they have to do is pick hardware which already have drivers or write drivers for said hardware.
It could easily be done.
But why stop there?
Why isn't every laptop shipping with coreboot?
It would be a lot easier, the computer would boot a lot faster (so their product would be better)
>>
>>54995388
Linux doesn't even have a thumbnail viewer in it's file picker, top fucking kek
>>
>>54995435
>so pretty much automatic updates?

No not at all like automatic updates. It updates every single program on the computer at once, whereas on Windows you would need to update them individually within each program or hunt down the latest installer on the internet one by one.
>>
>>54995455
It does, but
>gtk
MEMES
>>
>>54995388

Glitches and incompatibilities sometimes happen because you're able to tweak everything you want in Linux. If you just left the DE at default settings (which you are FORCED to do in Windows and OSX anyways) then nothing would go wrong.
>>
>>54995423
oh, my theory was shutdown by the man itself: >>54994265
nevermind.
>>
File: 2015-12-11-23.52.12.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-11-23.52.12.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Give it a couple of years
Only Google can save us
>>
File: ....jpg (49 KB, 583x498) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
49 KB, 583x498
>using a hobby OS as your main OS
>>
>>54995464
>that thick black border on the browser windows

TRIGGERED
>>
>>54995388
>Linux
>MATE
>GNOME
an0n, that's not the only desktop environment in Linux. plus, that shit is outdated, and GNOME is a piece of shit.
try KDE.
>>
Literally what is literally Chrome literal OS
>>
>>54995021

>less is more
But neither are most
>>
>>54994125
Because its fragmented to hell, leaving every distro being an unfinished buggy mess.

Linux needs to be made proprietary with one unified version, with all development going into making it not shit.
>>
>>54994125
i will switch to linux if i get sane alternatives for all of these
>>
>>54995486
As expected from a ex-google hack job
Just wait for Android O
>>
>>54995388
This is my experience with Linux "Desktop" OS

>Want to do something simple
>It's not simple at all or it breaks a bunch of other things

Nice """""""""""OS""""""""""" you faggots have here
>>
Run linux on my router
Run linux on my htpc
Run linux on my laptop
Run linux on my phone

I literally run linux on all of my things. That's fucking crazy.
>>
>>54995474
Only kids play on easy mode.
>>
>>54995497
>Linux needs to be made proprietary with one unified version

>>54995512
good then stop using it
>>
>>54995489
KDE 5 is a fucking joke. Not only does it crash every 5 seconds, its theme is ridiculously atrocious. 90% empty space, 10% info I don't care about, 0% info I actually expect to see. Incredible. It must take a very special person to achieve such design. KDE4 is alright, but nothing will ever come close to KDE 3.5.10 ever again.
>>
>>54995535
just use cinnamon like a grown up
>>
>>54995534
Yeah, I actually had to get some work done instead of lurking six-years-old forum posts for bug fixes and solutions :^)
>>
>>54995504
Only aftereffect doesn't really have an alternative.
>>
File: okay.jpg (29 KB, 324x350) Image search: [Google]
okay.jpg
29 KB, 324x350
everytime I try to use linux as my main OS it breaks in some way

>USER ERROR
>PEBKAC

o-ok
>>
>>54995547
>switching to a manual transmission car on the same day as my big job interview
>>
>>54995546
Slow as balls, gnome-based, pretty ugly, buggy and the main menu is massive with no way to set it to a reasonable size. Also doesn't it still require systemd?
>>
>>54994125
just run linux in a virtual machine on windows.
there ya go best of both.
or run linux on a box somewhere and remote work with it
>>
>>54995565
Install Gentoo.
Seriously.
>>
>>54995535

This. I WANTED to like Plasma 5 because in theory it was everything I liked. But it's so slow and glitchy. I hope LXQT turns out well because I really want a good, responsive QT-based DE to exist.
>>
File: jorgewanttbehardcore.jpg (41 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
jorgewanttbehardcore.jpg
41 KB, 480x480
>>54995532
>>
>>54995566
That analogy would only make sense if you people had jobs :^)
>>
>>54995565
no, actually linux gives you extremely straightforward and easy to google error output, as opposed to windows which gives you obfuscated error numbers

>>54995568
>slow as balls
>implying
>gnome-based
literally the antithesis of modern gnome
>pretty ugly
>implying you can't do gtk3 theming
>buggy
>citation needed
>main menu is massive with no way to set it to a reasonable size
>implying you can't use other menu applets
>>
>>54995579
why? to learn how to use linux better?

I know how to write basic bash scripts and am fairly comfortable around the terminal. Last time I installed Fedora and it completely broke on a major update
>>
>>54995535
I agree, kde5 was bad when it first got released, but it works now.
A lot of things are bigger, but you can select the kde4 theme and everything looks the same as before.
But compared to kde3, it is a lot better in my opinion. Krunner wasn't a thing back then and kwin has only gotten better.
>>
File: output.webm (2 MB, 900x917) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
2 MB, 900x917
>>54995462
>which you are FORCED to do in Windows and OSX anyways

:^)
>>
>>54995589
>implying sysadmin work isn't completely dominated by linux gurus
>implying that every company with a web presence doesn't rely on linux web servers

but if you just want to be a secretary working in excel and blowing your boss on the side, by all means
>>
>>54995125
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Because some shit doesn't work on it. Like certain websites won't let me play media on Linux so I have to switch to windows 10. Also the media players and the terminal are all confusing as shit. Even the fucking browsers needed installation of certain add one just to have the same shit as windows. Not defending windows as it's shitty too
>>
>>54995597
>it completely broke

nothing every completely breaks in linux

you are simply not knowledgeable or equipped enough to fix your problem or know how to troubleshoot so that others could help you
>>
>>54995626
>Like certain websites won't let me play media on Linux so I have to switch to windows 10

complete bullshit

>Also the media players and the terminal are all confusing as shit.
>I'm a moron

pro-tip: you're a moron
>>
>>54995639
Compound Media won't let me watch TGMS

I want Linux to be more user friendly. Instead of insulting me, you could off advice
>>
>>54995630
I probably could have fixed it I just didn't want to deal with that hassle. It shouldn't break in the first place.
>>
>>54994228
>windows monopolized every computer with their shitty os by using disgusting tactics
>yet you're surprised that linux is 1% of marketshare, even considering its not tethered to an organization

wew lad
>>
>>54995597
Gentoo is rock solid. If something compiles, it works. If you need a new feature on a package, no need to reinstall the entire system. Want one unstable package on an otherwise stable system? Go ahead, there'll be no breakage, no need to upgrade the entire fucking system to an unstable branch. In general, dependency conflicts simply don't happen because features and versions can be mixed and matched.

The only legitimate downside is that you have to manually manage kernel versions and configs, e.g. don't forget to run genkernel and grub2-mkconfig manually after installing a new kernel.

Aside from that, it's the most maintenance-free, most solid distro around.
>>
>>54995464
It isn't even developed by Google you retard
>>
File: OhpCrDn.png (267 KB, 861x665) Image search: [Google]
OhpCrDn.png
267 KB, 861x665
>>54995455
then explain this, you fucking faggot
>>
>>54995626
You can change user agent.
>media players and the terminal are all confusing as shit.
Not really technical, so no one will (can) help you.
>>
>>54995593
>google obfuscated error numbers
>find out what's wrong

>google linux error output
>find out what's wrong

???
>>
>>54995678
Thumbnail on every picture simultaneously, to allow you to pick the right one at a glance instead of having to browse, noob.
>>
>>54994125
Why do people say that Linux never has to reboot, but when I update Firefox on Ubuntu via the "software updater" that randomly pops up, it tells me to reboot the fucking thing?
>>
I like how the people who defend a desktop linux based PC are proud to say, 1 in 100 is good. I wonder how many of those 1 in 100 dual boot to windows more than 50% of the time? If it's so great, why doesn't someone release a good OS based on Linux?
>>
>>54995674
What do you think of funtoo?
>>
>>54995692
With windows, any error can be caused by 3 dozen factors. Because there's no obfuscation in the errors in GNU, you don't have that issue and often don't even have to google the error.
>>
>>54995620
Alright, that's pretty fucking neato
>>
>>54995675
>>54995505
>>
>>54995620
>m-muh classic shell
KEK
>>
>>54995651
>Compound Media won't let me watch TGMS
Which browser?
You might have to use chrome for some sites.
Eg netflix only works with chrome, but I just use it as a media browser.
In my situation:
 /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --app=https://netflix.com 
>>
>>54995698
Bullshit, only a kernel update needs a reboot, and only if not using a utility like ksplice.
>>
>>54995621
>Hey mom, hey dad, I switched you over to a sysadmin DESKTOP """"OS""""
>"Son why does nothing work, I don't need this"

No, that's fine, gonna switch me dear ol' mum and da over tonight to this superior and well built OS
>>
>>54995630
That applies with any OS though, hell, anything else really.

You're argument is just:
>nothing breaks
>you don't know how to fix the """"""problem"""", ie. broken thing
>nothing breaks but it does

??
>>
>>54995651
give me a link that won't play

I can't access that shit without a subscription
>>
>>54995694
and that's on ubuntu linux.
>>
>>54995719
Well apparently not, because whenever I update Firefox (and JUST Firefox, nothing else) it says something like "Please reboot your computer". I think it's because Fluxbox is a piece of shit though because it doesn't happen on GNOME.
>>
>>54995674
>don't forget to run genkernel and grub2-mkconfig manually after installing a new kernel

>he hasn't scripted this out already and aliased it to the kernel update
>>
>>54994125
It didn't fail, adoption is slowly increasing.
>>
>>54994410
Mac: have you tried sodomy? You might like it.
>>
>>54995512
Nice """"""""""""""complaint"""""""""""""""" you got here
>>
>>54995752
I did, I wrote a kernel-update script that copies the old config based on uname, make oldconfig, make, make modules_install, installs the image, genkernel initramfs --install then grub2-mkconfig. Haven't figured out a way to hook that up as a post-install action for kernel installs though.
>>
>>54995549
what are alternatives for photoshop and FCPX? I hope not gimp and abandonware programs
>>
File: 1437966199059.png (254 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
1437966199059.png
254 KB, 1191x670
I only have a few reasons I don't use the Linux desktop.
>Not found any music software that tickles my fancy like Music Bee does.
>thumbnails in file picker (although I use Hydrus now so)
>muh games is still a strong reason for me.

I mean I have no problem with Windows. I run Linux on my laptop though. Another excuse is I don't know how to install things on other drives and I find it difficult to manage packages and dependencies.

But if you aren't using vidya or Windows specific software, no reason to not try a Linuc desktop desu
>>
>>54995747
that's because it's playing it safe

technically the program should keep any library its accessed in memory

the problem is if it releases an old library from memory, loads the new one, and the new one doesn't play nice with the existing old components in memory

in practice this RARELY RARELY ever causes a problem but they want to play it safe since the firefox devs will get a bunch of phony bug reports
>>
>>54995733
>windows is perfect and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH WINDOWS WHATSOEVER
sounds like something a SHILL would say
>>
>>54995772
krita, gimp, photoshit with wine for photoshit, lightworks for fcp (lightworks is an actual professional solution unlike fecal cut poo)
>>
File: 2014-08-11-10-39-54-am.png (83 KB, 770x492) Image search: [Google]
2014-08-11-10-39-54-am.png
83 KB, 770x492
>>54995699
>If it's so great, why doesn't someone release a good OS based on Linux?
>>
>>54995733
>son, can you please remove this virus I've accidentally installed on windows for the 18,000th time?

>install xubuntu
>just werks
>>
File: 1420502677301-0.jpg (39 KB, 492x550) Image search: [Google]
1420502677301-0.jpg
39 KB, 492x550
>>54995403
>>54995439
>>54995462
>>54995489
>freetards rip on ms and apple all day and all night for being "shit" programmers
>can't even code the most basic of compatibility checks or fault tolerance in their code to prevent conflicts
>>
>>54995773
This has to be bait.
>>
>>54995735
on windows there are certain things that can break (think windows update, or some of the 'debloat/detelemtry' scripts that killed the start menu) that you cannot possibly fix yourself because it is literally impossible without reinstalling the OS

On linux, this is not the case. You can always easily roll back packages, boot older kernels, reconfigure the bootloader, remove and reinstall drivers from tty without a GUI, etc
>>
>>54995809
>>install xubuntu
>>just werks
Still don't gedit why Xubuntu don't released with ubuntu kernel.
>>
>>54995827
Why
>>
Because it doesn't have usable drivers
>>
File: 1447059953791.jpg (15 KB, 250x240) Image search: [Google]
1447059953791.jpg
15 KB, 250x240
>>54995817
>one freetard couldn't code something
>therefore all freetards are like this
K E K
E
K
>>
>>54995872
I have a motorola ms driver that makes your whole os unusable.
>>
I set up ubuntu for my mom and holy hell the thing updates so much.
>>
>>54995244

Check the standard output for any GTK3 program and you should see a bunch of warnings related to theme CSS.
>>
>>54995902
that's because, unlike windows, it updates every program on the whole computer

if windows was smart enough to update every installed program whenever an update was released it would update just as frequently
>>
File: 0b8[2].gif (982 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
0b8[2].gif
982 KB, 320x287
>>54994265
>Wahhh, Linux is not pre-installed on every system, and that's why it's not popular
Oh yea, linus, blame it on other people because Linux is totally without fault. Because linux totally doesn't have problems with:
A visibly hostile support community which actively discourages helping others
Laughably substandard UX design for almost every windows software competitor.
A community which encourages this dogshit UX by saying "its free, either learn to program and fix it, or fuck off"
A complete dependence on command line interfaces which requires rote memorization to learn and indecipherable documentation from which to learn
No way to google through problems due to the hostile community said above
Fragmented OS base where only some programs work on some flavors of linux.
And so on...
>>
>>54995942
Could it be because of rolling release?
>>
>>54995620
>windows user
>doesn't use the "windows" key, prefers using the mouse pointer
kek
>>
>>54995963
it's not a rolling release

regardless, once the next version lands the updates will become less frequent in the LTS since they will primarily be security-focused
>>
>>54995902
the LTS will stabilize in a couple of weeks/months
you don't really NEED to update shit, though
>>
>>54994803
>Seriously, give me one good reason why I should care whether or not linux/gnu caters to your whims

Because people are bitching in this thread about how linux doesnt have a bigger market share and wonder why. If you care about market share, you care about these problems or are an obnoxious faggot who cant ever understand the concept of difference in people.
>>
>>54994125
Gpu passthrough made Windows as a main os obsolete.
Literally no
fucking
reason
to use Windows as a daily driver anymore.
>>
>>54995991
it rustles my autism if I don't
>>
>>54995995
>Because people are bitching in this thread about how linux doesnt have a bigger market share and wonder why

you're delusional, no one has bitched about that

the only people that have said anything about market share are the windows shills that point to market share as a metric of success or failure
>>
>>54995795
krita and gimp can't replace it
new lightworks is shit
>>
>>54995996
but you need a secondary graphics card for linux
>>
>>54996029
(You)
>>
File: 1465049838908.jpg (21 KB, 248x189) Image search: [Google]
1465049838908.jpg
21 KB, 248x189
>>54994295
>foobar
>anno domini 2016
>>
>>54996041
Just use your igpu
>>
>>54996100
xeon4lyfe
>>
>>54994125
>Maybe because it was never meant to be a desktop but a server OS

It was, in fact, meant from beginning to be used on desktops and not servers unlike NT kernel.
>>
>decide to try fedora os on my thinkpad
>install on an empty partition
>windows don't have minimize/maximize keys
>keyboard shortcuts everyone is used to dont work
>install something that is said to alter gnome gui
>no option for adding minimize/maximize option
>literally try to have a simple ms windows function for 45 minutes and cant get it to work
i uninstalled afterwards. no need for wasting time if the developers dont give a shit about end users. let haxxors keep using these linux shits to host servers, idgaf.
>>
>>54996183
>gnome-tweak-tool
>windows or something like this
>turn on minimize and maximize
stop being retarded. it's useful.
>>
>>54996183
>wants a windows-like experience
>uses GNOME

you're a fucking moron

Install the fedora cinnamon spin
>>
>>54995955

/thread
>>
File: screenshot-cinnamon.jpg (244 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot-cinnamon.jpg
244 KB, 1920x1080
>>54996183
>hurr durr
>blaming the entire linux ecosystem on your experience of a single DE not being windows-like enough for you
>>
>>54996240
>hey guys look at my post everyone ignored

(you)
>>
>>54995955
And how many people actually install an OS on their PC? Most normalfags I know use the one with the included bloatware it comes with until it fucks up and then buy a new one.
>>
File: 9d434418070427.562c35976bd1d.png (217 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
9d434418070427.562c35976bd1d.png
217 KB, 600x600
>>54994434
*clears throat* BUT thats an obviou*crashes*
>>
Linux seemed so promising back when Slashdot was in its heyday, late 90's-early 00's.

They never got their shit together. Gnome/KDE was terrible. Should've focused on things like wine, opengl, gimp. Also documentation, gui simplification.. etc.

One could say those things aren't Linux's fault, but regardless, the shortcomings in those areas are why its been failing to gain traction in the desktop market these past 15+ years. Basically, the open source community needs to get on the same page, and we all know thats never going to happen until some sort of miraculous open source Jesus bigger than Linus and RMS combined appears.

The future does look brighter though; Vulkan has a good chance at overtaking DX12 in many ways, but most importantly MS is shooting themselves in the foot over win10 atm. If Vulkan gains ground and has the support of hardware mfgrs, devs, Steam, etc.. the MS trump card of gaming dominance will finally disappear. Imo, thats always been the central key to breaking MS stranglehold on the desktop.
>>
>>54996423
Is Plasma 5 still as bad as the memes say?
>>
>>54994295
>no photoshop
I'm using it with no problems whatsoever under Wine.

>no itunes
Good.

>no vidya
I play plenty of vidya on my Linux machine.

>no foobar2000
I could probably run that just fine with Wine, but DeaDBeeF is actually a solid alternative.

>no mpc-hc
Lots of alternatives. Besides, VLC is still the best.
>>
>>54996605
Worse in some respects.
>>
>>54996605
I used it for 3 months straight as my daily drive:
it crashed only once
it was because i modified a theme file and i messed up something
>bar and icons disappear instanly
>reboot to terminal
>i fix it
>now werks
that was my only problem and it was caused by my retardation
>>
>>54996700
Elaborate please
>>54996709
It seems like most problems are caused by user error
>>
>>54994125
Because user friendly does not mean making the user type two paragraphs of console commands to get things working.
>>
>>54996745
yes other than that plasma 5 has the most premium feel out of the box so pretty much no reason to fuck with it tho.
>>
File: 1459609523364.jpg (57 KB, 635x480) Image search: [Google]
1459609523364.jpg
57 KB, 635x480
Linux users-the cucks of computing.

White knighting for linux.
Jumping thru 1000 hoops in hopes to get 'the prize'
build up artificial knowledgebase on how to win.
Consistently cucked by the industry.

Your 'female friend' uses windows, and it does it for her just fine, linux cuck.
>>
File: gibber.png (3 KB, 752x88) Image search: [Google]
gibber.png
3 KB, 752x88
>>54996871
Gibbered
>>
>>54996871
moar memes plz
>>
Saying photoshop runs is wine is the stupidest shit I've ever seen.

It only runs 32bit, and is crash prone. It also doesn't support CC. Why this is important should be obvious--but it probably isn't to you.

You obviously don't have a JOB that requires it. Basement faggots.
>>
>>54994405
How well does ps on wine run?
>>
>>54996914
>implying this is a linux problem and not an adobe problem
>>
The whole point of a computer is to get REAL work done for REAL jobs.

You know, that shit that makes life better?

If all you want is to hobby around then fine, but stop evangelizing Linux like it is actually useful for anything outside of hosting REAL WORK that was done on a REAL desktop operating system!
>>
>>54996941
Perfectly.
>>
>>54996914
>>54996955

even your sentence structures are identical
>>
>>54996963
Bullshit.
64 bit doesn't work.
PS CC doesn't work.
It crashes A LOT.
>>
>>54996945
It's neither, it's a Wine problem. Wine isn't a perfect replica of the environment Windows programs were made for, therefore it's going to fuck up from time to time.

It's also made by unpaid volunteers with an incomplete understanding of the system they're trying to copy, and requires users to tweak settings in order to get most programs running.
>>
>>54996914
>>54996955

Couldn't you have put that all into one post or are all the memes coming to your mind in slow motion?
>>
>>54996998
Facts aren't memes, shit brain.

When you grow up and get a real job (maybe) you'll understand.
>>
>>54996994
if you are using WINE on linux/gnu you are doing it wrong

you should be using qemu/kvm, get with the times grandpa

literally the fact that you are bitching about wine shows how woefully ignorant and stupid you are
>>
>>54996978
OK shill
>>
>>54994295
all those programs have better alternatives other than perhaps Photoshop depending on if you really need it
>>
>>54997022
If your workflow requires windows software you should be using windows. Shoehorning it into Linux is stupid.

Thank god real businesses don't do that.
>>
>>54997033
What exactly am I shilling, captain strawman.
>>
>>54996978
>complaining about WINE
>2016

wew
>>
Autists are really bad at arguing.

Every Linux counterpoint in this thread is terrible.

All that talent and intelligence required to be a Linux user should be reflected in basic logic applied to arguments and counterpoints, should it not?
>>
>>54994206
>wikis don't spoonfeed me config files so it's uncustomizable!
Why are GNUshills so fucking dumb?
>>
>>54997016
it's pretty clear you are a graphics designer (or more likely, a deviantart fag) and not a computer engineer

so stick to OSX/Windows and run your graphics programs and quit bitching about linux

the very fact you experiment on linux and willing to install and tinker with the cancer that is WINE should make it clear how shitty the alternatives are that you are trying to avoid

so if you want to complain to someone, COMPLAIN TO ADOBE
>>
>>54997109
>>54996955
>>54996914

You are really making some good money today, aren't you pajeet?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.