[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is being a sysadmin really as chill as it's made out to be?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: cantstump.jpg (33 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
cantstump.jpg
33 KB, 550x550
is being a sysadmin really as chill as it's made out to be?
>>
FOCUS
Your dad's here
>>
>>54993127
It's basically like being a NEET, because you do nothing all day.

And if you're doing your job, people question why you're even getting paid. But if something DOES go wrong, and you put out the fire, people still question why you're getting paid.

Getting called to a meeting from your workstation is exactly like your parents calling you out of your room to have a "talk".
>>
>>54993127
As long as everything works yes.
But if shit goes down, its not rare to be working 72 hours straight and even being woken up at 3 am by your boss if the company needs you.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-09-08-50-18.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-09-08-50-18.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>54993185
>>
>>54993190
are non-managers dicks to you?
>>
>>54993194
where you work, how often does shit go down?
>>
>>54993410
When you become the "it guy" you left your humanity
>>
>>54993323
INVESTIGATE 3/11
>>
>>54993127
Sysadmin here

Put out all the fires that were burning before I got here. Fixed the causes of the problems. Automated all of my other tasks.

Now I spend 8 hours a day browsing 4chan or studying for various certifications.

I'm so lazy, I just use VNC to solve most of the staff's problems so that I don't have to walk to their computer. I could do 98% of my job remote from home, but my boss won't let me.
>>
>>54993425
I dont work as sysadmin, but a friend of mine does for a small scale system.
From what i know he has to do big workloads, the only big times the last 2 years were when he moved the infrastructure to a different place, had to upgrade everything and once had to take everything down to save it from the possibility of a storm bringing along a flood big enough to destroy their infrastructure and then setting everything up once again.
>>
>>54993323
poor tyler ;_;
>>
File: 1404029632371.jpg (269 KB, 725x713) Image search: [Google]
1404029632371.jpg
269 KB, 725x713
>tfw fat old cunt in accounting won't take simple direction, keeps getting download malware
>severely restrict her internet access
>calls me to fix her computer
>explain to her that i can't keep devoting large amounts of time unfucking her computer and that she's a security liability
>she curses me and demands i follow her instruction because i'm just "the computer guy"
>sorry, kathy.
>it's katie!
>sorry, katie.
>mfw i ran i told her dept manager my intentions before i did anything
>mfw she got told she had to sit down with me for security training, and her privileges would only be restored after i signed off on it

still, it's a shitty job. hours of boredom and moments of sheer terror.
>>
>>54993495
*big workloads only a few times per year
>>
>>54993485
See, I told you guys that sysadmin life was NEET life.
>>
i spent a year doing/learning sysadmin for a few small businesses under my boss

shit was so cash at times
>>
>>54993541
Who are you faggot?
>>
>>54993541
Correction: If you're a good sysadmin, it's the NEET life.

If you're a bad sysadmin, your life will be a living hell.

-Getting calls at 3am to come in and fix a problem.
-Cryptolocker fucking your shit up
-Lost data with no backups
-Explaining to your boss that there was a network breach and now they have to pay millions in legal fees
-etc.
>>
>>54993608

I'm >>54993190.

>wake up in the morning
>check 4chan
>drive to work
>check 4chan at intersections
>get to work
>check 4chan for 8 hours
>go home
>mostly 4chan
>bed time
>4chan on phone

Life is good.
>>
>>54993641
>Life is good.
>most of his day is hanging out in this cesspool pit
Well whatever, each to his own I guess.
>>
>>54993641
>4chan
>good life
choose one
>>
>>54993669
Sorry, but I'm choice-fluid. Being able to pick one-of-two options, or both, is something that changes depending on how I feel.

Maybe things will change at some point, but 4chan is a novelty to me right now. I got sucked into this place after I couldn't stand the boredom of being a sysadNEET, which was not that long ago.
>>
>>54993641
>4chan almost all day
jeez dude
>>
>>54993701
To be honest, I spend my free time watching anime. It's not all just 4chan.
>>
>>54993700

you're a faggot
>>
>>54993641

Hey Hiro, how is it going?
>>
File: 1465420512222.jpg (112 KB, 642x513) Image search: [Google]
1465420512222.jpg
112 KB, 642x513
seeing that there are many sysadmins here, i want to ask you a question. What education do/certificates do you guys have? I'm being offered a job that is pretty much a sys/network admin and my knowledge of systems and networking are not ideal(basically as much as i read on forums and an mikrotik mtcna certificate) . I'm afraid that i will physically fail and not be able to carry out the tasks. Any advice?
>>
File: gdfsijooo.gif (3 MB, 244x224) Image search: [Google]
gdfsijooo.gif
3 MB, 244x224
>>54993323
>>54993185

hey you guys are watching BIRD UP the worst thread on /g/
>>
>>54994530
Yah boobay
>>
>>54994451
I only have a 2 year Associate's from a community college. That's it. Networking and good references got me my first sysadmin job and I've just been comfy ever since.

I'm working on the CCNA and CompTia certs and plan on moving to a different job for more pay. My current job isn't challenging enough and it feels like I'm wasting away mentally.

I'm sure that the closer you live to a city, the higher your requirements will be. I live in a ghetto basically, so I'm basically overqualified with an AAS degree.
>>
File: dating sim.png (873 KB, 1187x629) Image search: [Google]
dating sim.png
873 KB, 1187x629
>>54994707
hopefully they won't notice that i'm a degenerate when it comes to this, thank you anon
wish me luck guys
>pic not related
>>
>>54993641
Why don't you do something meaningful?
Like read a book or code some simple game, or whatever.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.