[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My hard drive stopped reading/writing. It spins up and detects,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: fc20130922guangzhou372379_0.jpg (50 KB, 950x633) Image search: [Google]
fc20130922guangzhou372379_0.jpg
50 KB, 950x633
My hard drive stopped reading/writing. It spins up and detects, but if I try to access any files it just hangs forever. Disk activity goes to 100% but read/write is 0kbps. Disk check and such just hang and never return anything.

How fucked am I?
>>
>>54992215
depends on what is broken
>>
>>54992215
Try throwing it into another PC/dock and try pulling your files off, otherwise.. yeah, you're fucked.
>>
Run CrystalDiskInfo and post results, if it loads

if not, try to run a SMART test from BIOS. Sounds like your HDD is fucked though, unfortunately.
>>
>>54992215

You may end up having to do a platter transplant if you really need the data.
>>
>>54992275
> implying a controller board swap would not do the same thing but much easier if you had a second identical drive
>>
File: RIP.jpg (137 KB, 659x872) Image search: [Google]
RIP.jpg
137 KB, 659x872
>>54992253
It loads, but then immediately hangs. I don't know a lot about HDD's but this seems bad.

Should I have a look inside it? I have some irreplaceable data on it, but nothing worth paying to have recovered.
>>
>>54992215
The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
File: 1392104226142.png (359 KB, 792x540) Image search: [Google]
1392104226142.png
359 KB, 792x540
>>54992215
Relax, just get the data from your backups.
... you did make backups, didn't you?
>>
>>54992617
Kys
>>
File: mistake.gif (486 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
mistake.gif
486 KB, 250x141
>>54992718
>>
>>54992718
Who is a qt
>>
The same thing happened to me less than a month ago.
According to >>54992342
you have 2936 reallocated sectors, which is pretty bad (I had ~240) and 10 pending / uncorrectable.

When your HDD encounters a bad sector (which, as far as I understand, should be one of the 10 pending since the 2936 reallocated should be fully functional), it tries to reallocate it (this is why the disk activity is 100%) and presumably fails to do so. Mine did the exact same thing, but it did resume normal operation after ~30 minutes. However, there was no change in the S.M.A.R.T. attributes, so I think it was just failing to reallocate the pending sectors.

I had a partition for each platter and determined that only the second platter was damaged. I was able to recover all the data from the other partitions and even some files from the damaged one.

I might be wrong, I only read what the S.M.A.R.T. attributes mean and tried to connect them to what my HDD was doing.

You can try accessing other files and see if you can find one that is intact. Other than that, there's really nothing you can do about it. I got mine replaced under warranty.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.