[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Microsoft gets into FreeBSD development for Azure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: freebsd.png (196 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.png
196 KB, 1280x800
Has nutella gone mad?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/09/microsoft_freebsd/
>>
>>54990894
Kickass. More people using FreeBSD will benefit not just FreeBSD, but also Open/Net/Dragonfly/WhateverBSD.
>>
>>54990894
It seems like Microsoft is really going to switch from the NT kernel to some UNIX-compatible kernel like Apfel AG did it a couple of years ago.
>>
>>54991259
Good. It's the only major operating system left that isn't UNIX like. Prepare for a UNIX future.
>>
>>54991259
>>54991330

which is bad because unix is a 40 year old piece of shit
>>
>>54991527
Just the outside, the inside is new.
>>
systemd killed linux
>>
>>54991259
The NT kernel is already UNIX-compatible.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
78 KB, 640x480
>>54991577
It's weird how people don't know this. The NT kernel supported many different subsystems in its lifetime. The POSIX one was recently discontinued but then Microsoft ported ubuntu linux over to windows so there's still some level of POSIX support in windows.
>>
>>54991688
>Microsoft ported ubuntu linux
It's not a port you dumbass.
It's a compatibility layer that translates linux-specific calls to NT kernel.
So it's exactly like Wine.
>>
>>54991527
>muh old
You can't just throw away that kind of stuff.
>>
>>54991566
so?

FreeBSD is not GNU SLASH LINUX
>>
Embrace
Extend
Extinguish
>>
>>54991259
hopefully they just plug a BSD subsystem and call it a day
>>
>>54991763

I just hope they won't make the same mistake as the Lincucks and adopt systemd..
>>
>>54990894

>Redmond will support it inside Azure and send code back to the FreeBSD Foundation

Oh, I see.
They want a backdoor in FreeBSD..
>>
>>54991834
This. RIP FreeBSD.
>>
>>54991259
About time. Fucking Apple did too at some point. It's just better if we can have a god damn standard for OS so we don't have to deal with stupid cross compatibility issues and having an obscure non-standard non-posix-compliant environment
I hope Windows do this so all our lives can be easier
>>
>>54992463
I don't think they will tbphp.
I've been talking to the freebsd community, they despise the idea behind systemd and with good knowledge (freebsd users tend to know their system).
A sort of emulation layer may be developed, I thing OpenBSD is already working on it, it's called OpenSystem or something, which is a layer that translate systemd-specific api calls from applications and translates it to the kernel. I'm guessing all the other BSDs will adopt it just like everybody has adopted OpenSSH.
And one of the issues with systemd that causes all the debate is that it is very linux-specific, exploiting linux features not present in the BSD kernels thus rendering it incompatible with the BSDs
ave a g'day
>>
>>54992525

How would that even work when A, the source code is readily available, and B, you can guarantee that you're using a binary compiled from the available source because compiling your entire system is how FreeBSD updates.

Not trolling or defending PajeetOS, honest question because I just don't see that happening without it easily getting caught.
>>
>>54992876
>OpenBSD systemd emulation
Is this supposed to be a good thing?
>>
>>54992967
well...
linux is very widely used, and almost every major distro (with the sole exception of gentoo which only hardcore linuxfags and systemd renegades use) has migrated to systemd, so I guess applications programmers will soon start writing everything to depend on systemd and the BSDs will have to keep up somehow.
Sad, very sad, but that's the foreseeable state of things
>>
>>54992525
FreeBSD is much more professional than you think.
>>
I always knew God would make FreeBSD thrive somehow.
>>
>>54993472
>I always knew God would make FreeBSD thrive somehow.

I god did it by giving us the systemd cancer

BSD IS DEAD

LONG LIVE BSD
>>
>>54990894
It's just their azure bullshit images
>>54992876
I must have missed something then, because it's not on mailing lists or it's just bs .
>>54993352
BSDs are not Linux, they are completly dofferent, also Gentoo can be used with systemd.
>>
>>54993717
>I must have missed something then, because it's not on mailing lists or it's just bs .
He might just be talking about a more general shim.
I do know there's a library to implement BSD features outside of BSD (libbsd) so I assume the other way around is possible? Maybe?
>>
>>54990894
what a disgusting interface
>>
Windows Subsystem for Linux is the best thing Microsoft has done in the last 10 years.

I am working on a cross platform program and it's currently only working on posix systems. Instead of bothering with a windows port, I'll simply produce a statically linked linux x86_64 binary and let windows users run that one.
>>
It's funny how it is portrayed on /g/ that Indians hate unix/linux but it was nadella who brought bash to windows and now this. Also India ranks higher than the united states when it comes to linux percentage share of the market.
>>
>>54994084
I think that's probably due to necessity than anything else. Windows costs rupees.
>>
>>54991527
There were good operating systems 40 years ago that people no longer use or learn much about because Unix-like OS design is all they teach.
>>
>>54993509

>bsd is dead
>long live bsd

What?
>>
>>54990894
Kde3 was so comfy. Its a shame they had to ruin it.
>>
File: i told ya so.jpg (7 KB, 265x191) Image search: [Google]
i told ya so.jpg
7 KB, 265x191
>>54991834
>>
>>54991834
>"BSD licences are so much better for everyone"
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.