[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ after a long time I've googled for some raspberry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: raspberry-pi-logo.png (50 KB, 511x642) Image search: [Google]
raspberry-pi-logo.png
50 KB, 511x642
Hey /g/

after a long time I've googled for some raspberry pi projects, that are actually useful and you CAN'T substitude them with any other product in the same price range.

Well what I have found I can divide into 2 categories. First are cringy projects that are not useful at all. They just show off what raspberry can do (no really, I dont wanna turn raspberry in to thermometer I can just buy one fo like $2) and no, I don't wanna log temperature in my room - for what?
The second category are pretty cool projects (like ODB 2 car reader) but I can actually buy a product from Aliexpress which does the same - 0 effort, mostly even cheaper.

Can you give me some actually good ideas (mainly some car stuff), what I can use raspberry for? Except XMBC center or some ultra hi-techy robot shit?

Thanks in advance mates.
>>
Personally I just get enjoyment from tinkering with things like the RPI, my most recent project was a handheld emulator using the RPI zero that yeah cost more than other handhelds that do the same thing but I don't care because the real fun for me was designing and building it. I guess the RPI really caters to a more DIY type mentality and community and if you prefer using a prebuilt item I guess the RPI isn't for you and that's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.
>>
>>54990750

Well, yea you are right. DIY is 80% of raspberry and arduino. But I've seen (many years ago) some cool projects, that actually do something and real product cant compare with them (price).

Also the biggest issue are cases. Every time you build something, which means you attach/connect something to you raspberry you have to also craft your own case, which wraps raspberry, wires, display (if any) and so on... The result is fat package, mostly from wood or any other medival material.

I would like to build car camera. I mean on board one, not the parking one. I guess there is need of raspberry itself, camera (that do not record in 2 fps per week), and huge sd card. Also wrap all this into case which I can easily mount and unmount to my car.
It might be a bit expensive, but car cameras are super expensive, so there is no way I could exceed the "real product price" inc. my effort and time.
>>
>>54990879
I like pi/linux camera projects because you can have all images automatically encrypted with pgp, and upload when wifi is present. So if its lost, stolen or confiscated by police they can't access it without you.
>>
>>54990642
>car stuff
I replaced my old head unit with an rPi-based media player. Hooked up a touchscreen, a couple of potentiometers, a GPS module, a radio module, and a 250GB msata I had laying around. Works well at emulating the botnet.
>>
I wish they put more than 1gb of RAM on it, such a bottleneck : S
>>
>>54993781
I'd prefer USB and LAN not sharing the same slow bus. If it wasn't for this the Pi would be an ideal cheap seedbox + NAS.
>>
>>54994255
>USB and LAN sharing bus
Do you know if the Beaglebone black does the same? I really want one to do experiments and I do need full speed internet.
>>
>>54994321
BBB does not. However it has only one USB port.
>>
>>54993703
What? Nvidia really has nothing to do with this.
>>
>>54990642
Custom car radio? Seems like a fun, useful project.
>>
>>54990879
Let me guess, you are Russian?
>>
File: raspberry-01.jpg (455 KB, 721x742) Image search: [Google]
raspberry-01.jpg
455 KB, 721x742
>>54996752

No I'm not, but I know, where u do aim ;)

> Music
All I use is Spotify and cheap ($4) bluetooth dongle pugged into my radio.

> Navigation
I use Waze becase all the reports and traffic in my country sucks.

> Camera
Yea thats what I would like to have. Do you guys have some experiences or maybe just links to products (camera itself) which can record at least in 30 fps lets say in 720p?

Thanks for all responses.
>>
>>54996918
I did a Google search and it seems raspberry pi itself sells 5MP cameras that can record at 30FPS.
I've never used it though so I can't recommend whether it's good or bad.
But now I kind of want it myself..
>>
>>54997502

Looks kinda useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnYOy1DcSEA
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.