[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's that laptop thread again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
I'm sorry for being that guy but help me out, /g/entlemen.
I'm looking to buy a laptop soon. Currently stuck between 5 models.

I'd use it mainly for programming, watching movies in bed & shitposting outside. I have a desktop for muh gay men & home-use but I'd need something portable.
My biggest priorities are reliability, portability, battery life & linux support. I understand they're all different but I'd appreciate any input.

1. Thinkpad T430 or Thinkpad X230
I'm not sure whether there are any advantages of getting the T430 apart from the larger screen. I've heard that the build quality on the x230 isn't as solid and that X-series doesn't use the same materials as the T-series. I know the display isn't great on either of them and I might try to replace the screen for an IPS display.

3. Asus UX303
I've had a low-end Asus before (X550DP) and it wasn't too bad for its price. However I'm not fond of their flimsy build quality and awful customer service. The Zenbook has got decent specs but doesn't seem to be too popular here. Can the chinks be trusted?

4. Dell XPS 13
Quite pricey but is it worth it? I might look for a refurbished one.

5. Macbook Air 13"
The meme laptop.

Feel free to tell me to kill myself and suggest a superior laptop not listed above.
>>
File: P5N76EA-ABD_6_1750x1285.jpg (200 KB, 1750x1285) Image search: [Google]
P5N76EA-ABD_6_1750x1285.jpg
200 KB, 1750x1285
Hp spectre x360 with an i7
>>
>>54988771
>Hp spectre
Does it have overheating issues?
>>
get a thinkpad x220, it meets all your requirements. t. anon posting from an x220 right now.
>>
>>54988711
>My biggest priorities are reliability, portability, battery life & linux support
Get the Air
>>
>>54989140
>reliability, portability, battery life & linux support
Except the shitbook air has none of those.
>>
>>54989099
Except it has all of these you shitposter. OP you want a MacBook or or a Dell 7000 series. Don't get a meme think pad (they're shit and look like shit)
>>
>>54989256
2 rupees have been deposited in your shit eating hands Rajeesh.
>>
>>54989120
Why not the x230? It's got better CPU and GPU and comes with an SSD. The only thing shit about it is the keyboard.
>>
>>54989256
This OP. Get a MacBook air or a Dell. Both have great Linux support, battery life and hardware support. Don't bother with the think pad. It's thicker, has a worse screen, worse battery life and is not as durable. They are simply in no measurable way a better laptop
>>
>>54989241
Go ride your delusional meme-train to a different board
>>
>>54988711
>>54989276

>programming, watching movies in bed & shitposting outside
A first generation Core processor or latest i7-6800 will do those tasks with no discernable speed difference.
>>
File: 1441027814917.png (406 KB, 692x779) Image search: [Google]
1441027814917.png
406 KB, 692x779
>>54989286
>mactards actually latching on to dell to shill their garbage overheating throttling 800mhz memebooks

lmao
>>
File: 1455261003970.png (17 KB, 757x369) Image search: [Google]
1455261003970.png
17 KB, 757x369
>>54989286
2 rupees have been deposited in your shit wiping hands Rajeesh!
>>
>>54989346
>>54989311
Whatever. It's up to op if he wants to listen to meme posting think pad fanboys or do his own objective research. I'm just pointing out the facts. Not cherry picking reviews and calling people names. The think pad is cheaper for a reason.
>>
>>54989393
>mactoddler can only spout memes
>gets BTFO by facts
>spouts more memes

What went in your life?
>>
>>54988711
Just buy a thinkpad.
>>
>>54988711
For 3 of your 4 requirements. A Thinkpad is your best bet.

>Reliability
They're enterprise class laptops, they're designed not to break, and if they do, they're easy to fix.

>Battery Life
You can add a slice battery and nearly triple the battery life.

>Linux Support
/g/'s obsession with Thinkpads is proof enough of this.

The other laptops you're considering are all consumer grade "ultrabooks" they have the portability and the high price tags. Whereas you can get a used Thinkpad with 16GB of RAM, and an i7 for not even $400 on Newegg.

It's not that Thinkpads are the greatest laptops ever, but they will always be better than consumer grade garbage.
>>
>>54988711
>4. Dell XPS 13
>Quite pricey but is it worth it? I might look for a refurbished one.

it is, but go for the non touch 9343 version (i5-5200 cpu) with however much ram/disk space need
best battery life compared to touch version or even newer 9350 version;
performance wise the newer 9350 is better on paper, in reality you wont notice a single difference

refurbished go for ~600 on amazon, new ones for 800-900+ bucks, maybe you could get it for even less on ebay?

i got it and it's totally worth, my only problem is that the dock support is shit for linux but you probably wont be using a dock anyway
>>
Shell out the dough for a new MacBook. Literally the greatest and comfiest machine I've ever owned and is godlike for using in bed due to the fanless design.

Most of /g/ wants you to feel the way they do about tech. Cheap and unsatisfied.
>>
get an x240 or t440p and upgrade the touchpad to one with real buttons and the screen to a 1080p ips one
>>
>>54988711
>Thinkpad T430 or Thinkpad X230
Go for T420 or X220 if youre getting this one and replace the screen with a better one. These can be librebooted for free computing.

>Asus UX303
As you said best price performance out of all these laptops. Solid choice.

>Dell XPS 13
In my opinion the best overall laptop in the market right now. So I bought one and am very happy with it. However it is pricey so if its out of your budget look for something else

>Macbook Air 13"
No. Thermal throtling and overpriced. If youre after osx only acceptable choice is macbook pros.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.