[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why so much hate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Windows_me_Logo.png (83 KB, 640x198) Image search: [Google]
Windows_me_Logo.png
83 KB, 640x198
Why so much hate?
>>
>>54984246
it wasn't win2k
>>
>>54984246
it was the last version of 9x and it sucked

2000 was so much fucking better
>>
Made DOSfags mad, then was replaced in a year by XP, no one cared after that.
>>
>>54984246
It was trash and released in an alpha state.
>>
>>54984246
less stable than 98SE
took out the ability to reboot to DOS, which was really the only reason to keep 98 around at that point
some fluff and new icons and shit was all there was other than that. Only $99!
>>
>>54984268
Was this pretty much just a downgraded 2000?
>>
It wasn't quite NT and it wasn't quite 9x/DOS. It was in some weird Windows limbo land, and it was functionally garbage. In fact it was about as bad as Windows 10, but with even more instability if you can imagine.
>>
>>54984300
it was 9x with a shitty plastic shell on it, basically. There was no advantage to it over either 98 or over 2000.
>>
>>54984300
They were based on a completely different foundation. ME was a continuation of the 9x line. 2000 (and XP) were based on NT.
>>
2000 and ME were both released in the same year, but ME was made for the general user?
>>
>>54984325
>It wasn't NT at all and it wasn't quite 9x/DOS
ftfy

>It was in some weird Windows limbo land, and it was functionally garbage. In fact it was about as bad as Windows 10, but with even more instability if you can imagine.
it worked fine if you didn't poke it too hard. while 2000 was better, ME wasn't as bad as people say it was
>>
Bout the only good thing about ME was that it had generic drivers for usb mass storage devices built in. Course back then USB thumb sticks cost hell of a lot more than they do now. plus storage was only like maybe 128 - 256mb I think. That and Movie Maker.
>>
>>54984246
it was same as 98 but came out the time win2k released
and xp after less than a year after
>>
Wasn't ME the one with that annoying 'interactive online desktop' thing?
>>
>>54984515
i think it started with 98
and XP had it too
>>
>>54984246
win9x was already garbage enough
>>54984515
>>54984530
that cancer was courtesy of Internet Explorer
>>
Most people's experience with ME was from either an OEM installation or an upgrade. OEMs fucked up their installs with shitty utilities and drivers (like they always do) and upgrades are always a horrible idea. People also wanted DOS mode (removed from ME) and tried using System Restore (I've never seen anything good come out of restoring, even today) which had some bugs of its own. Finally, some people loved using 3rd party hardware drivers (I don't know why) which weren't the best in terms of compatibility.

I have VMs with all the 9x series OS's. ME boots the fastest. Try a clean install out for yourself.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.