[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How has systemd personally affected you? > IT'S TAKING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: 1452966172801.jpg (207 KB, 627x749) Image search: [Google]
1452966172801.jpg
207 KB, 627x749
How has systemd personally affected you?
> IT'S TAKING OVER LINUX!
is not personally affected you
>>
>>54981322
>faster boot times
>easier to add shit to
>inconvenient to learn a new tool
>>
Easier to have all the distributions use the same commands to start/stop services.

I can write simple init "scripts" now myself.

It offers small utilities that I can use instead of full and complicated alternatives (like time syncing; don't have to use ntpd).
>>
I compiled and installed systemd manually and spent 2 hours troubleshooting why my headless server would no longer let me keep my screen sessions open after logging out, defeating the whole purpose of GNU screen.

Apparently, the default behavior is to kill all user processes and daemons upon logout unless you add a compiler flag when building.
How the fuck was I supposed to know that?
>>
>>54982092
They've been telling people they were gonna do that for a while. As a sysadmin, you probably should've been paying attention to that.
>>
>>54982092
Learn how to use systemd
>>
What is SystemD and why is it bad?
>>
>>54982110
Why the fuck would they do that?
It defeats the whole point of sshing into your machines via the internet.
What's the point if you can't maintain persistent sessions?
And in order to keep your software working in a new systemd system, you have to introduce a hard dependency to libsystemd just to recreate the original behavior by default.
>>
>>54981322
i can't write simple shells scripts for my init scripts anymore
>>
>>54982092
wtf ?
what kind of retard thought that was a good idea ?
how did you turn that shit off again ?
>>
Bugs only possible to solve by replacing systemd
>>
>>54982220
add a compile flag or edit your systemd conf file somewhere and disable the "kill processes on exit".
But who knows, they might just get rid of it in the next version.
>>
File: smiley.jpg (48 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
smiley.jpg
48 KB, 736x736
My OS boot faster, I fucking enjoy systemd.
>>
>>54982235
so it only affects people compiling systemd themself and sane distros get rid of it anyway ?
>>
>>54982257
Yeah, all the distros threw a shitfit and changed the default against the wishes of the systemd team.

poetterling and friends are not interesting in reverting the change, they literally wrote essay upon essay arguing in favor of the new behavior because "DESKTOP OS".
>>
>>54982278
>"DESKTOP OS"
that thinking fucked up so many things. fuck, no one cares about the linux desktop for idiots. but it drives everyone who currently uses linux away from it. even i'm thinking of switching to freebsd after using linux since fucking redhat 9
>>
systemd is the new "BUT FONTS" or "BUT MAH APPS" bugaboo for paid Microsoft shills.

You CONTINUALLY get proven and told over and over and over and over that systemd is the best thing ever and yet you keep coming back. This is trolling and against 4chan rules, Microsoft.

Report, don't reply.
>>
>>54981367
>faster boot times
People always claim that but I have only always experienced the opposite, especially with simple headless servers.
Maybe it gives you a boost if you boot into some full desktop shit with gdm and all that jazz but it's not doing shit for me.
>>
>>54981322
>40 secs of waiting for "network manager online service"
>boot times go from 11 secs on fresh system to a 1:30 after month
>randomly waiting 3 minutes for avahi daemon to close on shutdown
Other than that no difference, i still liked upstart more, but it crashed with pulseaudio sometimes.
>>
>>54982110
Yeah, because a sysadmin should carefully follow the mailing lists of every single piece of software on the system...
>>
>>54982390
>>54982392
>i fucked up my system's boot config by being shit and now I'm going to blame systemd
Goodbye, Microsoft.
>>
>>54982407
i literally thought this is the only thing a sysadmin must do after initial configuration
>>
>>54982407
Yes actually, they should
>>
>>54982407
Yes it is tedious task keeping up to date on several thousand packages none holding precedence over the other.
>>
>>54982417
more like
>i literally never configured anything that has to do with services and only observe differences between default configs
>systemd is doing that >>54982392 everywhere i see it, with the exception of debian jessie - i guess because its some older version.
well maybe i dont know how to handle it properly , but i dont do anything with it and it should have sane defaults.
It literally introduced boot slowdown on linux for me, so i can have microsoft experience on linux, thanks
>>
>>54982362
>Report, don't reply.

He says, in his reply
>>
>>54982469
>none holding precedence over the other.
Well thank you systemd for giving me more work.

That's why everyone with half a brain, uses software that doesn't introduce huge changes in its behavior every month.
>>
File: 1454500661410.jpg (11 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
1454500661410.jpg
11 KB, 453x604
I love reading muh logs, journalctl is fucking slow and rotating/compressing old logs with it is way more complicated than it should be.
>>
>>54982092
systemd devs also now expect software like tmux to introduce a dependency to dbus just comply with their retarded shit: https://github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/428
>>
>>54981322
NetworkManager is a steaming pile and building rhel7 images have kept me late at work a few times.

That time is probably much more then the times saved by quicker boots. That being said I don't personally care much about systemd one way or the other really. If that wasn't making me stay late it would be something else.
>>
>>54982500
...as instructions to other idiots.
>>
>>54982092
>compiled myself
>how was i supposed to know
Go download and install Ubuntu, you retard. You're too stupid to be compiling shit yourself.
>>
>>54982694
Every software that uses ConsoleKit is complete shit.
>>
>>54982362
This.
I got shills bully me over on /g/ for saying some applications I used are deprecated thanks to systemd.
>>
I have to type a different command to restart services now. whatever.
>>
>>54981322
>it crashes every 5 seconds and forces your communication to go unencrypted over the net if your dns can't be reached
>not personally affected you
kys retard
>>
>>54984294
Source on this?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.