[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
#NeverReboot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: macbook.jpg (52 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
macbook.jpg
52 KB, 1280x800
How bad of an idea is this?

>build machine with like 64 or 128 GB of RAM
>do not install an HDD or SSD
>connect to a UPS so power never gets interrupted
>install Linux or MacOS onto a RAM-disk (or just use a livecd)
>bask in glory of blazingly fast system

With the entire OS installed sitting in RAM, everything would be blazingly fast. And I'd never have to reboot because Linux and MacOS never need to do so.

And if 64 GB or 128 GB is not enough, you can always hook up an external hard drive anyway.

Has anyone done this before?
>>
File: restart required.jpg (262 KB, 2023x1337) Image search: [Google]
restart required.jpg
262 KB, 2023x1337
>OS X never needs to reboot
>>
>>54979565
That's only if you're on the El Capitain beta. I use the stable release.
>>
>>54979586
>I use the stable release.
then you clearly haven't updated past 10.11.0
>>
>>54979518
Still need to reboot for updates and through out the installation process
>>
Modern operating systems already cache as much as possible in unused RAM. You'd get some gains but it wouldn't be much. Look up Windows superfetch.
>>
>>54979655
Would SuperFetch help if the entire OS was in RAM?
>>
>>54979518
I should try this when i get a workstation.
>>
But who was RAM?
>>
>>54979518
What would you install programs and save files to?
>>
File: raam.jpg (467 KB, 1200x788) Image search: [Google]
raam.jpg
467 KB, 1200x788
>>54980657
RAM was pic related.

Next question.
>>
>>54980742
The RAMdisk. And the software accessing that virtual "disk" wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a standard hard-disk.
>>
>>54979668
You are retarded
Go home
>>
>>54981042
I am at home. Where did you think I was?
>>
>>54979518
You could just make an image of the ramdisk onto an HDD and load that into RAM after you reboot if you ever need to do so though.
>>
>>54979518
Its an alright idea, but you need to have ecc ram, otherwise you're going to have issues after even a couple days.

At the lab in my uni, they have a bunch of linux machines that have fde. Most people don't know the encryption pw so people don't reboot the machines that often. Some of the machines that have been up for a while barely even function anymore.
>>
>>54981568
>full disk encryption
>just leave them running
very sane security policy
>>
there would be a point where you'd need to reboot eventually.
>>
>>54981732
The kernel and userland is probably written in Erlang. That sweet, sweet live-patching.
>>
>>54981060
A pleb cave.
>>
>>54981732
I know right. It seems to actually be a state policy though, no one around here seems to really care that much.
>>
>>54979518
This is elite hardcore computing right here. Lose all of your files if you fuck up the system and have to restart.
>>
Just use an SSD
>>
>>54981896
You'd probably have long term storage backup automatically onto magnetic storage when your computer isn't doing anything.
>>
>>54981896

So I'm basically making a better version of Suicide Linux?
>>
>>54981905
An SSD gets irredeemably rekt by even a DDR2 RAM disk, fuck that.
>>
How would this work when actually installing an OS that has to reboot during installation? Or is there some special way to keep data in a ramdisk during a reboot. Would be interesting nevertheless.
>>
>>54984218
just use a PCIe SSD like a normal person/
>>
Or maybe just have a disk the same size as the RAM, and dump the contents of the RAM to it when you turn it off. Maybe have a battery in the computer to do this in the event of a powercut. This way, you can actually turn the computer off if you want to. Even if you don't want to, you won't have to use a UPS.
>>
>>54984282
Nah, PCIe SSDs don't get up to 34GB/s. Also, they overheat and have a very limited number of writes.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.