[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question for longtime OSX users. What has your experience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
I have a question for longtime OSX users. What has your experience been with the various OSX versions post-Snow Leopard? I hear a lot of people say Mavericks was the last good one, while others say that's when OSX started to go bad, and still others say it's all been downhill since Snow Leopard.

Pretty much the only things I can say for sure from my own limited experience is that OSX got a lot slower and bloated after Snow Leopard, which could comfortably run on just 1GB of RAM, and Yosemite and El Capitan seem to run like dicks if you don't install them on a SSD.
>>
Much slower and bloated. The programs have also gotten worse since Apple is focused on new new new new rather than just refining their own shit.

Still great though.
>>
>>54978592
Forgot to add: what version are you currently using as your daily driver, and for what reason?
>>
>>54978592
It didn't necissarily go 'bad', even though ever since the change of UI with Yosemite, there have been a bunch of GUI glitches and inconsistencies, pretty small, but very annoying to the keen eyed.
As of El Capitan, I run it both on an ssd and an hdd, both run pretty decent for me. Even though El Capitan did some more annoying things to old OS X users, like move around settings, redesign some utilities, make it seem that some features were removed, but they have been combined. Ontop of that, I have constant small crashes of both first and second party software (I wouldn't count third party because that could just be bad optimization). It's not a huge deal because of the way OS X keeps track of what documents were open and such, but when it happens during converting a Keynote presentation to HTML, you'll have to do it again.
>>
>>54978592
Mavericks was the last good OS X version. Yosemite was total shit and El Capitan is *tolerable*. A lot of it has to do with Yosemite and El Capitan throwing any sort of read/write queueing out the window, so it becomes super intensive on non-SSDs. Same thing happened on Windows 10.
>>
>>54978681
I forgot to mention, ever since Yosemite, my Wacom Graphire 4's preferences can't be changed anymore, there's no prefpane available for it, or at least that I could find.
>>
>>54978592
mac blow without an SSD because the ones with HDDs are so old the HDDs have reached end of life

anyone who tells you snow leopard is better than lion is very very stupid. As for Yosemite and El Capitan if you dont know about the advantages of things like smb3.0 then you should just but a chinkpad like the rest of the unemployed dweebs on /g/
>>
What I probably dislike most about Yosemite and El Capitan is their fonts. They look like shit unless you're on a Retina display, and even then I still prefer the old Lucida Grande font they'd been using since forever. I don't see why they had to change it. There's a hack that restores the Lucida Grande font, but it's glitchy.
>>
>>54978654
By "new new new", I think you mean catch-up, Anon. A lot of features in El Capitan, which were touted as revolutionary in Apple's conferences and marketing, were old features in other software.

>Tab pinning in Safari: In Chrome for years
>Muting tabs in Safari: Already has been in Chrome
>Automatically side-by-side your fullscreen windows: Been standard since Windows 7, and even then it's nowhere near as robust.

Though it does have some non-catchup features I like (or perhaps not, but still nice):

>Notes is more robust and can embed links with thumbnails and maps, among other media types
>Spotlight now understands natural language such as "emails yesterday" or "documents from last week".

So, I dunno, El Capitan is nice. I view it as Yosemite + being able to mute and pin tabs in Safari.
>>
It seems much slower. I hope they take the next few iterations to work on improving performance.
>>
El Capitan did undo a lot of shit that came with Yosemite, but on the other hand, it's now clear that Apple NEEDS to retreat from their yearly upgrade. It's just too much. Maybe some sort of tic-toc cycle would do them better.

I thought El Capitan was such a "toc", but even the few features and UI fixes they presented are still super glitchy to this day. Like, when you type in spotlight and your input is longer than the line it fucking glitches (which actually is supposed to be a fix for the original bug in 11.0 when everything you typed beyond the line just vanished). Or this split-screen feature that still doesn't work half the time I try to use it (just too many different weird glitches to describe).

Anyway, the software used to be so much more robust and I see that they just don't have enough manpower to take care of it.

>>54978913
Really, I don't need to know that whatever feature I'm using is the first of its kind to enjoy it. I wouldn't care if Apple is stealing every single thing they release, as long as it works. Unfortunately it doesn't way too often, but that's another thing.
>>
no issues here senpai, oy vey yosemite is pretty great desu
>>
>>54978688
>Yosemite and El Capitan throwing any sort of read/write queueing out the window, so it becomes super intensive on non-SSDs.
I can confirm that. It's barely usable on mac mini with HDD.
>>
>>54978991
Same anon here.

Agree with you there. I don't care where it came where features came from either. Good ideas are good ideas.

I just bring it up because it's a little frustrating that people say Apple has been revolutionary, but they're actually very incremental. And when companies like Microsoft take HUGE risks with changes and rocking the boat with OS's like Windows Vista (it was a flop, yes, but it set the groundwork for Windows 7 and made huge internal rehauling of Windows' guts) and especially Windows 8, people either ignore them or shit on them for it.
>>
>>54978592
I've got an early 2011 13" running an i5 and 16GB RAM on a 750GB hard drive.

I haven't noticed much of a performance difference between Snow Leopard and El Capitan. Negligible at best.
>>
>>54978592
Honestly I've yet to have a problem with any version of OS X. The major drawback is missing software.
>>
File: 1454327147723.png (200 KB, 1062x1518) Image search: [Google]
1454327147723.png
200 KB, 1062x1518
>>54978592
>>
>>54978592
I don't really notice any slowdowns since I upgraded to an SSD. It loves using ram, but I enjoy using it as a computer because it's a comfy little unix environment.
Of course, if i'm forced to use a PC i'll just install Fedora on it and use that instead, but I quite like OS X.
HFS+ needs to GTFO tho.
>>
File: 1455060627919.png (437 KB, 691x1268) Image search: [Google]
1455060627919.png
437 KB, 691x1268
>>54978592
Literally cuckold: the OS.
>>
>>54979738
Literally "I don't know what I'm talking about news"
>>
>>54979856
Literally "I think unticking a checkbox turns off the botnet on my botnet OS" shillpost.
>>
>>54979899
Literally /g/tards derailing from the thread topic to "botnet" claims.
>>
>>54979943
>make thread about botnetOS
>complain when people talk about botnetOS
ok kid
>>
>>54978592
>I hear a lot of people say Mavericks was the last good one

those people are either a) fucking idiots b) so fucking poor their they're using macs that were around when rosetta mattered.
>>
File: 1436743540370.jpg (866 KB, 800x2500) Image search: [Google]
1436743540370.jpg
866 KB, 800x2500
>>54981771
>so fucking poor their they're using macs

Truly disgusting.
>>
>>54981771
Mavericks does run better on Macbooks that still use HDDs while still being supported, though. The Retina models are only four years old, and Apple is still selling Mid-2012 models new.
>>
>>54979856
ffs, I already disabled this once. checked again after this posts and both were enabled.
>>
>>54981856
>not even an island
trump's a fucking poorfag
>>
>>54978592

OSX on my 15" rMBP has been nothing other than a piece of shit. Yosemite was the most bug-ridden turdpile I've had to endure since Win Vista, and since 'upgrading' it to El Shititan it locks up and needs hard rebooting about once a week. It also has one developed this fantastic new problem where whenever it wakes up from sleep the wifi doesn't work until I reboot it.

I feel like I should just be using Linux so I could be less angry when my shit doesn't work, as I'd be expecting it not to work.
>>
Fuck off

>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>54981856
That is true but mac users are still richer than the rest.
>>
File: 1395616790718.jpg (31 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
1395616790718.jpg
31 KB, 225x350
>>54978592
Yosemite was shit but El capitan just werks and is great.

DON'T USE SAFARI THOUGH.

> source: me
> 2014 base 15 inch rMBP
>>
>>54978592
Each new version has been worse and worse on a 2011 Macbook Pro.
>>
>>54982682
I've heard about an issue with Safari on 15 rMBPs where typing will momentarily freeze, and the spinning wheel will appear all the time. Is that what you're referring to?
>>
>>54978592
>I hear a lot of people say Mavericks was the last good one
That would be correct.
>>
File: 1412543704751.jpg (46 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
1412543704751.jpg
46 KB, 469x463
>last good one
>>
>>54982497
wtf am I reading
>>
>>54982682
no safari? im running 10.11.5 on a 13' mid 2014 and it seems fine.

something happen with the 15s?
>>
>>54979662
I feel similar.
>>
>>54982757
this desu senpai

There can't be a last if there was never a first.
>>
>>54982682
Safari's the best browser on OSX.
>>
>>54978592
Snow Leopard doesn't have TRIM support.
>>
I have a 2015 rMB and a late 2012 iMac with 32 gigs of ram so I don't experience any discomfort or slowness unlike you poors.

>2016
>still using <16gb RAM
>>
>>54978592
Mavericks wasn't the last good one, Yosemite was just buggy. Think of Yosemite as early Vista and El Capitan as Windows 7, the prior was buggy and introduced a new UI, the latter is basically the same thing with bug fixes.
>>
>>54982757
>>54982826
not samefagging at all

Jesus fucking Christ, this fedora contrarians are everywhere
>>
>>54983210
Only if you're using a laptop and value battery life over a decent browser.
>>
>>54983340
>muh plugins

Get over your autism
>>
>>54983270
>more ram
>MORE SPEED
>>
>>54983362
I have zero plugins installed.
>>
>>54978592
>OSX
POO
>>
>>54983372
I don't get how you can call Safari a bad browser then?
>>
>>54983442
>no sidetabs
>poor extension support
>no tab stacks
>no integrated mail client
>no data compression VPN
>no sidebar
The list could go on
>>
>Safari
ayylmao

https://nolanlawson.com/2015/06/30/safari-is-the-new-ie/
>>
>10.7
Not good
>10.8
Improved but not great
>10.9
Best since 10.6
>10.10
Garbage
>10.11
Much better than 10.10, but still not good. It's still leagues ahead of Windows, though.
>>
>>54983468
These are all specific and niche features.
And seriously, a built in mail client? Just use the Mail app. It's better suited for that.
>>
>>54978592
OSX is a fucking joke. Always has been always will be.
>>
>>54983506
>extensions are niche features
You wish
>And seriously, a built in mail client
Yes seriously
>Just use the Mail app. It's better suited for that
I haven't legitimately laughed at a post in quite a while, thanks anon.
>>
>>54983468
>no sidetabs
For what purpose? If you have more than 10 tabs open, you need to seek help.
>poor extension support
Adblockers work; literally no reason to use anything else.
>no tab stacks
Useless.
>no integrated mail client
Useless.
>no data compression VPN
Useless for 99.9% of users.
>no sidebar
Useless.
>>
>>54981856
but i run it on my custom-built one
>>
>>54983511
Please tell me how the Windows clusterfuck is any better
>>
>>54983530
Let's build everything into a single app.
>>
>>54983511
you are more gay than apple fans
>>
>>54983538
>For what purpose?
Having more than 10 tabs open
>If you have more than 10 tabs open, you need to seek help
There is absolutely nothing wrong with actually using multiple tabs
>Adblockers work; literally no reason to use anything else
>I don't need it so nobody does

>Useless.
Someone who only uses Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube would say such a thing.
>Useless.
Not even close.
>Useless for 99.9% of users.
What about the .1%?
>Useless.
This seems like your go to word when you have no argument.

>>54983541
Normally I'd disagree, but the browser is the one place where an application suite makes sense.
>>
>>54983551
>more gay than apple fans
u w0t m8
>>
>>54983596
>nothing wrong with having more than ten tabs open
>what is a reading list
>i like to waste computer resources

>only uses facebook, twitter and youtube, yet is on 4chan
>>
>>54983630
I'd rather not clutter my bookmarks with 1000s of sites I only need for a short period of time. I leave sites open till I'm done with them and only bookmark things I know I'll need repeatedly in the future.
>>i like to waste computer resources
It's not a waste if there's a purpose.
>>only uses facebook, twitter and youtube, yet is on 4chan
You get the point, you rarely do shit. You can't fathom the greatness of being able to organize tabs because you never have enough open to necessitate organization.
>>
>>54983681
Reading lists aren't bookmarks.
It makes it so your sites are available in a neat list, all saved locally too, in case of them being deleted or altered. It also prevents you from losing all your sites by accidental closing, history clearing, etc.

Learn how to use a computer the correct way, please.
>>
>>54983596
Open tab. Get info or finish what I'm doing. Close tab. It's not difficult.

> I don't need it so nobody does
What other than adblockers is there?

> What about the .1%?
Use a different browser. Don't pollute the browser and increase battery usage for the 99.9%.

> This seems like your go to word when you have no argument.
That *is* the argument, son.

> you never have enough open to necessitate organization
Indeed. I'm organised.
>>
>>54983724
There is no correct way to use a computer you dipshit, everybody's different, I don't like how you do it and you don't like how I do it.

>>54983746
>Open tab. Get info or finish what I'm doing. Close tab. It's not difficult.
You're right, it's not. But if that tab is something I'll be going back to repeatedly in the coming days and/or weeks, then I leave it open till I'm done.
>What other than adblockers is there?
There's a vast amount of extensions that add functionality to a browser. Personally, I've got one that blocks JavaScript, one that handles userscripts (my browser supports this natively but I have some userscripts that specifically rely on features the extension adds), and an extension that adds features to tab stacking. I don't even have an adblocker installed because my browser can do that natively as well.
>Use a different browser
No fucking shit, what else would I do when Safari is shit?
>I'm organised.
As am I.
>>
>>54983811
>there's no way to use a computer wrong
There actually are ways to use a computer wrong. Not using the tools provided to do it correctly, and doing it in your own, worse, less practical way is one of them. You could of course adapt to it, but having millions of tabs open is the easy choice for many since it's lazier.

As for other ways to misuse a computer, see damaging hardware, installing software for the wrong os/system, installing malware, etc.
>>
>>54978592
>OSX

Found your problem.
>>
>>54983854
>There actually are ways to use a computer wrong
I never said there was no wrong way, just that there is no proper way. There are subjectively correct ways; ones that suite you. There are also objectively wrong ways.
>Not using the tools provided to do it correctly, and doing it in your own, worse, less practical way is one of them
I agree. Thing is, this situation falls under the subjective correct way, not the objectively wrong way.
>As for other ways to misuse a computer, see damaging hardware, installing software for the wrong os/system, installing malware, etc.
Like I said, there are definitely wrong ways to use a computer, you just listed some of them.
>>
>>54983885
ebin
>>
Mav was good, yosemite sucked, el cap has been great
>>
>>54983918
But it is the wrong way, since you're saying the tabbing system doesn't provide a sidebar or have stacks. Using the reading list and (bookmarks) fixes this.

That's like opening a Photoshop file to write an essay in it.
>>
Leopard was the last GOOD improvement, Snow Leopard wasn't really any better or worse then Leopard, everything after Snow Leopard is worse because they started the downhill trend of turning OSX into iOS.
>>
>>54983944
>i eat shit from my hands

ebin
>>
>>54983976
Tab stacks aren't just good for organizing tabs for future stacks you dumbass. If I'm looking into x, y, and z, and going back and forth between the three, I create a respective stack for each and open and collapse the stacks as needed. The reading list and bookmarks would be a ridiculous approach for such things.
>sidebar
Completely unrelated to tabs.
>>
File: 1454984596196.jpg (204 KB, 668x942) Image search: [Google]
1454984596196.jpg
204 KB, 668x942
>>54978592
>10.0 - 10.2
>lol nothing works and everything crashes

>10.3 - 10.4
>lol nothing works and everything crashes
>also fuck backwards compatiblity and security
>buy the latest yearly $130 upgrade or fuck you!

>10.5
>lol some things work but everything everything still crashes and poofs away into nothing
>also fuck ppc we're abandoning all old users, if you want ppc and security updates fuck you

>10.6
>lol some things work but everything not everything crashes if you sneeze anymore
>WE DID IT GOYIMS WE MANAGED TO GET OSX STABLE ON A SINGLE HW CONFIGURATION BUY BUY BUY

>10.7 - 10.8
>lol everything's broken again
>we heard you like iOS so we put iOS in your OSX so you can facebook while you facebook

>10.9 - 10.10
>lol we're gonna cripple all hdd based macs by adding superfetch tier trash and optimize solely for ssd
>better buy a new mac unless you like hdd thrashing goyims

>10.11
>JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP SENPAI
>pic related
>>
>>54984215
>10.0-10.4
I can't say I've ever had an issue with any of them.
>10.5
>lol fuck PowerPC users
PowerPC 10.5 got as many updates as Intel did. It was simply the last PowerPC version as they had transitioned to a new architecture.
>>
>>54978592
I jumped off the boat with El Capitan. Lion didn't do anything interesting, Mountain Lion was bloated, Yosemite was even more bloated, and El Capitan was okay. By EC I had already lost interest in their hardware too, though.

>Pretty much the only things I can say for sure from my own limited experience is that OSX got a lot slower and bloated after Snow Leopard, which could comfortably run on just 1GB of RAM, and Yosemite and El Capitan seem to run like dicks if you don't install them on a SSD.

It runs sluggish even on an SSD. I should know, I personally watched my SSD go from running breezy as fuck on Snow Leopard to getting a little slower with each new version up until El Capitan. Ever since Mountain Lion my computer has also developed a tendency to seize up about once a month, requiring a hard reset.

I know people don't like to listen to everyone put Snow Leopard on a pedestal, but it really was Apple at its best, and their last good OS. They let iOS's dominance go to their heads.
>>
>>54978592
Snow Leopard was the last good one.
>>
The last good OS was 10.5 simply because it was the last to support PowerPC
>>
Apple really needs a new Tiger/Snow Leopard.
But not, Tim Cook is so fascinated with "Muh thinness" and "muh features" that he is making his company a clown.
The fuck, we want a new filesystem. We're happy if they switch to UFS.
>>
>>54978913
>I dunno, El Capitan is nice. I view it as Yosemite + being able to mute and pin tabs in Safari.
I'm running Yosemite and I see no reason to upgrade to ElCapitan. I hear it's a resource hogger and my 2012 MBP might shit the bed on me.

Also, I barely ever use safari. FF is my main browser.

Yosemite got all the cloud additions. Upgraded notes is not enough reason to upgrade, especially since I use Evernote anyway.
>>
>>54986335
Yeah, my post was basically just saying El Capitain ain't at all that. That's why I reduced it to the sentiment: "The same thing, but with couple features in a web browser (that nobody uses)".

The constant updates are also pissing me off. When switching to Mac OS, I didn't expect to get nagged by "nigga, ya gotta restart" notifications worse than Windows itself.
>>
>>54986332
El Capitan was supposed to be the modern Snow Leopard. Foregoing end-user feature to focus on speed and security.
>>
>>54986332
>The fuck, we want a new filesystem.
What?
>>
>>54986402
HFS+ needs to be retired.
>>
>>54986384
"Install now, try again tonight, try again tomorrow."
Freak you Apple, how about never. Can't believe things have gotten this bad. It's still nothing close to Windows 10 but... I swear I'm switching to Linux when I get compatible audio hardware.
>>
>>54986411
Explain.
>>
>>54986416
>Freak you Apple
Christian detected
>>
>>54986332
10.0 - 10.4 supported UFS, they dropped it with Leopard, I doubt they'll be going back to it. They were in the process of switching to ZFS when Leopard was being developed then dropped that shit like it was hot when Oracle bought Sun
>>
>>54986432
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/12/
>>
>>54986432
HFS+ is like 19 years old an based in a FS like 30 years old.
It's big endian, needs to introduce unnecesary cycles of work to swap bits.
Doesn't support sparse files.
Doesn't have adequate protection against data corruption.
Doesn't have a big timeframe (Is limited to year 2040)
And a big bunch of etc.
Apple doesn't need to put a overkill FS like ZFS, only put a sane one.
>>
I've been running El Capitan on a mid-2014 rMBP 13" since the developer previews and it's been a dream for me. I don't have any of the problems people talk about here and it has become by far my all-time favorite OS. Kinda tired of talking about it though. Use what appeals to you. OS evangelism is a waste of time.
>>
OSX hasn't had a good release since Snow Leopard. The App Store blows, Safari still blows even after all the additions, Gatekeeper is useless, all the new iOS apps like Maps are useless. The only worthwhile recent addition of any significance was Mission Control, but I don't use that. Oh, and I guess the new theme is okay and I like the option for a dark menubar, but that's small fiddly stuff.

It's still light years ahead of any Windows or Linux, though.
>>
>>54986513
What's wrong with Safari?
>>
>>54986513
Mission Control is nice, and so is tabbed file browsing. It's amazing it took us this long to get it.
>>
>>54986443
>Christianity makes me mad
>>
>>54986513
>The only worthwhile recent addition of any significance was Mission Control
OS X has had Mission Control since 10.3, it was just called Exposé until 10.8.
>>
Is there a filesystem tested, ready for general use, who isn't overkill like ZFS and isn't licensed with a GPL style license.
>>
>>54986612
ZFS isn't overkill.
>>
>>54986481
>Apple doesn't need to put a overkill FS like ZFS, only put a sane one.

ZFS isn't overkill, it's a meme filesystem peddled by BSD idiots who don't realize a good portion of ZFS's functionality is handled by LLVM in a generic way. It also uses way too much memory.

But what's even worse - and is something these memelords conveniently forget to tell you - is that performance starts to become a serious issue when the filesystem becomes full. Worse, if you don't quickly free enough space, the performance dive is irreversible.

Introducing first-class ZFS support in a consumer operating system would have been irresponsible and disastrous, and Apple was right to nix it.
>>
>>54986630
It's good for what it's for, but it was obviously never designed for desktop systems.
>>
>>54986525
Nah, I was just noting it as I think it's sad that the guy was so god fearing he couldn't say 'fuck'.

God will forgive him, if he exists. If he doesn't, he's a cunt.
>>
>>54986627
For home use of non tech savy persons it is.
>>54986630
This.
>>
>>54986630

LVM, not LLVM. And for those who are wondering how full is "full", it's around 80-90%.
>>
Why did Apple drop UFS?
>>
>>54986612
XFS :^)
>>
>>54986736
Why the smiley with carat? I was going to legitimately suggest this but was too lazy to google the license
>>
>>54978592
It's been downhill since 10.6.jus

I just switched back to Linux a week go, Ubuntu 16.06. Linux is still a disaster on desktop in a lot of ways, but the speed and reliability of OS X are getting to horrible to bear. At least now my vagrant labs run fast, suspend and resume is fast, and I can support higher resolutions with more monitors off my 13 MBPr.
>>
>>54986759
It's GPL, that's why.
>>
>>54986736

From what I understand, XFS was quite buggy until Red Hat basically paid former SGI engineers to continue working on it until it was actually rock solid enough for RHEL 7. Wouldn't that make all of the recent Red Hat changes under the GPL, since presumably said changes were to XFS as a part of the Linux kernel? Or is it a module of some kind kept under a separate license?
>>
>>54986736
>No checksum protection against silent data corruption
That's doesn't solve one of the biggest issues in HFS+
>>
>>54986801
I used XFS in production with debian squeeze back in the day. It really is stable. I would still trust it. It's really fast and fsck runs more quickly than any other fs I know.
>>
>>54986736
Apparentely isn't stable enough in FreeBSD to Apple make use of it.
>>
>>54978980
I agree. I have a 2011 17 mbp, it's no slouch in the specs department but el Capitan feels like it runs at 30fps. It's hard to explain but the entire ux seems slightly less responsive with each iteration after mav
>>
My macbook pro's still on mavericks.

I get the stupid upgrade prompt, but each day I use my mac I click "remind me tomorrow"

My dd is an (outdated) x200 with *buntu, but I use the mac for good goy stuff. Makes me feel better to have srs business on a separate machine
>>
>>54986806
Does any file system do that besides ZFS?
>>
>>54986872
>I get the stupid upgrade prompt, but each day I use my mac I click "remind me tomorrow"
You're doing something wrong, I don't have this issue.
>>
>>54986557
Well I mean, Expose was kept alongside Mission Control...

Besides, isn't Mission Control also a virtual desktop manager? I remember it's whole thing was supposed to be combining Spaces and Expose into a single interface.
>>
>>54986876
Almost all ones who are included in the linux kernel.
Even NTFS does some sort of data protection against silent corruption.
>>
>>54978592
OSX was never good.
>>
File: snowleopardhunt.jpg (164 KB, 873x640) Image search: [Google]
snowleopardhunt.jpg
164 KB, 873x640
Snow leopard was the last good version. Anybody saying any later version is just stockholm syndroming.
>>
When I got my Mac pro (not Macbook, the tower one) I inmediately installed El Capitan. Was very fast and responsive and I didn't have a SSD then.
Since then I switched to Mavericks because I wanted to use some shit without signed kexts.
>>54986934
>what's Tiger?
>what's Snow Leopard?
>>
>>54986702
Matthew 15:11
>>
>>54986931
I don't think any of those are capable of correcting data corruption.
>>
>>54986956
I want a Mac Pro, but all the used ones are going for ridiculous prices.
>>
>>54986919
>Expose was kept alongside Mission Control
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Control_(OS_X)
>Mission Control, formerly Exposé
First line of the article

>Besides, isn't Mission Control also a virtual desktop manager
Yeah, in addition to being Exposé it allows you to manage workspaces at the top of the screen
>>
>>54986994
I was lucky for scoring a 4.1 octocore one for only 800 dollars. In my shitty country (Chile, pinochet and shit) macfags are selling Macbook Pros with old i7 processors for the same quantity.
>>
>>54986956
>>what's Tiger?
>>what's Snow Leopard?
Shit.
>>
>>54987066
ebin
>>
>>54986966
A curse word is not an evil thing, mate. That passage refers to evil rhetoric, ideas etc.

Fucking Christians. Pedantic to the limit. You must sound like Ned Flanders when you bump your toe.
>>
>>54987026
No, I mean you could literally use Expose alongside Mission Control, at least in Mountain Lion. They could be assigned to separate gestures.
>>
>>54986557

Mission Control was a significant step up from Expose to the point where I considered it "new".
>>
Any guesses as to when they're gonna get rid of Dashboard? It's pretty much a vestigial organ at this point. No one uses it, and no one develops widgets for it anymore.
>>
>>54987073
This place is full of people saying all manner of stupid nonsensical shit and you jump on some guys case because he chose not to curse then turn around and insult Gods character on top of it. You're a fucking PRICK of the highest level.
>>
>>54987154
They did? It's no longer available as of Yosemite, all that shit is in the notification center, now. That was a poor choice.
>>
>>54987154
there is no such thing as vestigial organ you moron

if you remove your appendix your immune system won't be as strong
>>
>>54987162
>then turn around and insult Gods character on top of it
God's a sadistic and narcissistic cunt who demands eternal worship for six days' work.
>>
>>
>>54987205
You're a liar and nothing true comes from you.
>>
>>54987178
It's still there as of El Capitan, just disabled by default apparently.
>>
>>54987205
>and that drives you mad
>>
>>54987213
/thread
>>
>>54987250
Jesus, that's pathetic. You sound like you're in a cult.
You say everything as if you're speaking directly to God -- as if he's watching over your shoulder like a nightmarish NSA.
Chill out, baby.

Also, being on 4chan is probably a sin as there's porn here and you're trying to hurt my feelings, which is also a sin.

Turn the other cheek, no?
>>
>>54987213
>>54987278
Nice samefag.
>>
>>54987213
>daily crashes
Not on my machine

>applications poof away into nothing with no error codes
Not true

>battery life
Is much better than you'd get on any comparable computer with Windows or especially Linux installed

>useless..
This says much more about you than it does OS X

You're a lying fuck and you think posting from your mom's rMBP gives you credibility
>>
File: 1438329313492.jpg (22 KB, 389x183) Image search: [Google]
1438329313492.jpg
22 KB, 389x183
>pajeets will defend this
>>
>>54987375
>installing updates is bad
>>
>>54987250
An opinion isn't a lie. Have your religion if you want, but you can't judge people for not believing - judge not lest ye be judged etc.

At least follow your own rules, dude.
>>
>>54987357
>Not on my machine
2 rupees have been deposited in your shit wiping hands Rajeesh.
>>
>>54987073
>>54987205
Look man, I used to do that atheist stuff too so I get where you're coming from, but there is a better way to make it through this life. You can find out about that by studying the teachings of Christ. I wasn't trying to start anything, so I'll just leave it at that. God bless
>>
>>54987387
PAJEET MY SON

How much does applel and M$ pay you for doing double duty? Or do you make the same wage since you copy and paste the same posts?
>>
>>54987357
>especially Linux installed

this is what mac fags actually think
>>
>>54987387
--> >>54987422
>>
>>54987387
Tell that to the people running Windows 7.
>>
>>54987428
Almost all laptops where I installed Linux ran hotter than a quad core G5
>>
>>54987428
Linux gets shit battery life. The same laptop that will get 3 hours under Windows will get 1 under Linux. This is a fact.
>>
>>54987410
Honestly, I couldn't give a shit what you believe, however I think it's a bit sad that you let it control your life to such an extent.
I had years of Catholic guilt so I know that shit. It's toxic.
I have lots of religious friends who drink and curse and they're not immoral or evil. Americans need to wind down about religion, or else you'll all end up like Wahhabists Lite.
People are too hard on themselves. Just don't harm others and do good as much as you can and leave it at that.
>>
>>54987442
HAHAHA.
But you know what's my point.
>>
>>54987464
Bro, all I said was freak and posted a gospel verse.

me:
>>54986416
>>54986966
>>54987410
>>
>>54987393
That wasn't an opinion you coward. You put that forward as a statement of fact and it's untrue. You're a liar and it's not unchristian to say so.
>>
>>54987396
>thing happens to me
>thing doesn't happen to me
>LOL "THING DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ME" HAVE SOME MONEY <INDIAN NAME>
You are a moron. You think you're being a funny cheeky guy but no you're just a dumbass.
>>
File: 1461333297938.jpg (41 KB, 354x402) Image search: [Google]
1461333297938.jpg
41 KB, 354x402
>tfw 10.12's biggest new feature will be Siri
>>
>>54987518
Calm down. Anger is a sin.
>it's untrue. You're a liar
So you know for a fact that god is not what I said he is?
If you tell me you do, you're lying. You have no proof except your faith.
I put if forward as my assessment of god (if he existed, which he doesn't). It would be horrifying to think such a cruel god could exist. It's actually less horrifying to think he doesn't exist. Why would you worship such a thin-skinned psychopath?
>>
>>54987554
Well, it's kinda weird that Windows 10 has Cortana but OSX doesn't have the voice assistant Apple introduced themselves.
>>
>>54987554
>not HFS+ reeplacement
>not Disk Utility full useful
>more iOSisms
>Siri still can't sing
>>
>>54987464
You need to stop trying to people how to live their lives. If the guy doesn't want to curse, what the fuck is it to you? The hubris man..
>>
>>54987591

>Disk Utility

Hard to believe they fucked that up so badly. You'd think that it was an oversight and that it would be fixed by 10.11.1 but nope.
>>
>>54987635
At least they didn't removed the command line one, but I fear they will do some day.
>>
File: congratulations.jpg (66 KB, 489x400) Image search: [Google]
congratulations.jpg
66 KB, 489x400
>>54987648
>but I fear they will do some day
huuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>>
>>54987410

Saul of Tarsus was a mentally unstable false apostille who perverted the teachings of the Christ you so revere. You cannot fully trust the New Testament on its face, as much of it bears his significant influence.
>>
>>54987554
FIRE UP THOSE PHOTOCOPIERS CUPERTINO
>>
>>54987663
Nice one Rajeesh.
>>
File: congratulations.jpg (44 KB, 489x400) Image search: [Google]
congratulations.jpg
44 KB, 489x400
>>54987705
>>
>>54987584

Cortana is shit though.

I wish I could use "OK Google" as a drop-in replacement in iOS/OSX or Windows 10, it's light-years ahead of the competition.
>>
>>54987705
--> >>54987718
:^)
>>
>>54987694
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
>>
>>54987591
>siri still can't sing
Just replace the dis with words
say -v Cellos "di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di di"
>>
>>54987576
Nah, you're wrong. Anger itself is not a sin. Uncontrolled anger is sin. Anger without righteous cause is a sin and God does exist. He's as a real and alive as you and me. Your assessment of God is mistaken and he isn't cruel in the least but righteous, just and more loving than any man or woman that has ever existed. If God was as "thin-skinned and psycopathic" as you suggest you'd be dead and in hell. Anyways this thread is about OS X on the technology board. If you want to argue about religion try /pol/.
>>
/g/ - Church
>>
>>54987737
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54987813
$ say -v Cellos "Say it with me we were kings we were kings we were kings Say it with me we were kings and don't you forget it"

Holy shit, I laughed my ass off.
>>
>>54987813
>Anger without righteous cause is a sin and God does exist.
This is what ISIS also believe.
>He's as a real and alive as you and me.
You sound like a simpleton. You're reallyafraid to share your doubts. Even Jesus had his doubts.
>Your assessment of God is mistaken
So you're the authority on the almighty? Pretty presumptuous and self-righteous.
>and he isn't cruel in the least but righteous,
Then why all the suffering in the world? Is he not more powerful than the devil?
Does he just let suffering happen to teach us lessons?
Why do babies have to die
>just and more loving than any man or woman that has ever existed.
If I treated my family like God treats the world, I'd be sent to jail.
God is an absentee landlord.
>If God was as "thin-skinned and psycopathic" as you suggest you'd be dead and in hell.
As Schopenhauer said, earth is already hell as it represents lost potential. It could be paradise, but it's not.
Earth is suffering with brief moments of non-suffering.
If you saw an animal in pain, would you let it stay suffering? Why does god allow suffering to continue? Why does he allow illness?
He's a sadist. At least the devil isn't a hypocrite (not that he exists).
>>
>>54987902
You can replace Cellos with "Bad News" and "Good" for different voices and tunes too
>>
>>54987929
Yeah I'm messing with the options after reading the manpage right now

I always just used the right-click context menu in safari for text-to-speech, never realized there was a CLI utility.
>>
>>54987920
>At least the devil isn't a hypocrite (not that he exists).
Ah and there it is.

If you're really interested in answers to those questions, google them and let us discuss technology on this board. There's nothing I can say to change your mind and there's nothing you can say to change mine.
>>
>>54987973
Whatever dude, keep lying to yourself and loving a psychopath.
The sooner you shirk off that cunt, the better. You won't have a god to let you off from your sins -- you'll have to deal with them yourself like a man. You fuckers have it easy -- be sinful, go cry to a priest or 'god' and be forgiven.

Grow up, child.
>>
How the fuck does a OSX thread turns into a fight between a fedora fag and a fundie?
>>
>>54988002
Sure thing, now can we get back to discussing technology or you going to keep spewing vitriol?
>>
>>54988002
How old are you, btw?
>>
>>54987902
Who cares how it happened, just report and hide them
>>
>>54988064
>report
You think anything is going to happen on a board where threads making fun of Indians stay up all day?
>>
>>54988064
For >>54988036
>>
>>54988086
It's better than just letting them shitpost
>>
>>54988101
That's arguable. I'm sure janitors have enough reports to sift through without people adding frivolous reports for an argument that played out and ended without need for third party intervention. A report at this point would just be out of spite.
>>
>>54979669
>>54986411
>>54986481
>>54986806
>>54987591

Bumping for awareness of HFS cancer
>>
>>54988234
Thank you.
>>
What's wrong with Disk Utility?
>>
>>54988259
Apple fucked it up with Yosemite
>>
>>54988281
How so?
>>
>>54988295
It's practically useless.
You can't partition, do raid, clone a disk. Only see how much space takes the "Apps" installed.
Literally, everyday OSX is becoming iOS.
>>
Mac user since 1996 here. Picked up OS X at version 10.0 and have used everything up to 10.11.

Something that people don't realize is that under the hood, the OS has seen a *lot* of churn from Lion forward. Sweeping architecture changes and component replacements abound. The user never realizes this because OS X/NeXSTEP have always been designed to be extremely modular, but there is much more than meets the eye in each OS X release.

This is one of the big reasons why you see third-party Mac devs dropping support for old OS versions left and right. As part of all this shifting of internals, there have been a great dear of goodies added in for developers that are very hard to say no to. Maintaining compatibility even a couple versions back means missing out on a ton of shit unless you're willing to litter your codebase with OS version conditionals.

(cont)
>>
>>54988365
What else do you want to do with it? Apple recommends you run your main disk on an SSD past Snow Leopard for a reason. They're pushing ssd and make a strong effort to make people drop legacy hardware.
>>
>>54988365
That's wrong. You can still partition and clone disks in both the Disk Utility app and with the diskutil shell program. RAID I'm not too sure about because I've never used it
>>
>>54988384 (cont)
All of these changes are happening in the name of cleanup and modernization. There are lots of parts of OS X that haven't really changed for decades now, and even though NeXTSTEP was ridiculously ahead of its time in a lot of ways its age is now finally showing.

This is a good thing, but the thing about replacing old code with totally new code is that you're guaranteed to see a shitload of bugs in the new code and it's going to take a bit to get it back where the old code was in terms of stability and performance. In the end you'll have a better product, but the transition period can be rough.
This is most evident in Lion. Man that was a rough release, and it's no question why because that's where these changes really began in earnest.

The good thing is that most of the cobwebs have been cleared by now, so now they can more easily focus on refinement.
>>
File: diskutility.png (267 KB, 1590x654) Image search: [Google]
diskutility.png
267 KB, 1590x654
>>54988295
They not only removed functionality but fucked up the UI for no reason other than muh prettiness
>shitty dropdown windows instead of self contained
>bullshit pie chart that just loves to glitch out
It's ass
>>
>>54988384
>>54988438
Good posts Anon. Thank you.

Is the code you're to the open-source kernel and userland stuff (XNU, Darwin, IOkit, etc.), or the closed-source Apple libraries like Cocoa, or both?
>>
>>54986955
>stockholm syndroming.
Most people dont know they have it, you should get yourself checked
>>
>>54988481
Both.

Foundation is is already being rewritten in Swift (and is being made cross-platform and open source). Cocoa + AppKit/UIKit are probably getting rewritten in Swift at some point too, but that's a much larger task.

We may see those ported to other Swift-supported platforms as well, which would be fucking glorious because it means it'd be possible to create amazing cross-platform desktop applications with Cocoa.
>>
>>54988549
>which would be fucking glorious because it means it'd be possible to create amazing cross-platform desktop applications with Cocoa.
Isn't that already possible with GNUstep?
>>
>>54988549
Thanks again Anon.

Another question: Are the libraries and whatnot in so much flux that reading a book on OS X internals (in this case, "Mac OS X and iOS Internals: To the Apple's Core") might do me a bit of a disservice, seeing the pace at which things are changing?

Also, holy hell. I had no idea that Apple was investing so hard into Swift. The last time I heard about it, it was just something I heard Apple considereing. Fast-forward now and it's used in App development, and now they're rewriting their libraries in it.
>>
>>54988579
technically yes, but GNUStep is stuck in the dark ages. You can make an application that links against both Cocoa and GNUStep successfully, but that means restricting yourself to OS X 10.5/10.6-era features and if you don't want assloads of deprecations errors/warnings under OS X you're probably going to have to compile against the 10.6 SDK, which isn't even supported by Xcode any more.

GNUStep also doesn't do Swift compat very well either which means Obj-C only and there were always parts of GNUStep's implementation that were kinda quirky.
>>
>>54988617
While things are in flux, a book like that would probably still give a decently accurate layout of things because of that extreme modularity I mentioned before. Apple has been updating systems in-place without disturbing the relationship between said systems too much, so the arrangements of parts is still mostly the same. There have been a few significant changes but those are covered fairly well by various posts around the web (especially Siracusa's in-depth OS X release reviews).

And yeah, they're pushing hard on Swift. Objective-C isn't going away, but don't expect them to put money and effort into it like they used to. The only changes you'll see in Obj-C going forward is to improve interoperability with Swift.
>>
Basically what you said.
Running vegemite on my air, the backend's locked down to the point where it's hardly usable as a unix box, the whole fucking point of OSX, but with some slight fuckery you can kinda get it back on track, albeit not as good as older versions of OSX.
I hear ElChapo's even worse in this regard so no way in fuck am I updating any time soon.
Also, the UI's buggy as all fuck. Constant graphical glitches, gets stuck half way through an animation.
I did like the old, pre-iOS look, but I guess it was time for frosted flat shit.
In a word, if you can, just fucking don't.
>>
>>54988666
It's strange what a hidden mammoth OS X's open-source code is. The microkernel/hybridkernel architecture of XNU and the userland libraries seems like an amazing accomplishment (especially for something facing millions of customers every day), yet I never see *anyone* ever talking about them.

Another... 'notha question: How do you know about the modularity of the codebase? Is it something you've personally dived into and examined?
>>
>>54988721
>It's strange what a hidden mammoth OS X's open-source code is. The microkernel/hybridkernel architecture of XNU and the userland libraries seems like an amazing accomplishment (especially for something facing millions of customers every day), yet I never see *anyone* ever talking about them.
Because it doesn't snap easily into anything in a Linux-dominated world, so nobody cares. Well, there's a FreeBSD company that's porting parts of Darwin to their BSD flavor and Canonical once considered using Darwin's launchd for Ubuntu, but that's about it.

>Another... 'notha question: How do you know about the modularity of the codebase? Is it something you've personally dived into and examined?
Mostly just reading about it and personal observation. Kicking around in the hackintosh community has been helpful too because those guys are required to be considerably more familiar with OS X and Darwin than the average user.
>>
>>54987635
What did they fuck up in disk utility?
10.10 here.
>>
>>54987775
You mean like this?
https://a.uguu.se/ysbEGiCfHWSd_singing.wav
>>
>>54988820
See >>54988445
>>
>>54988445
>>54988884
Holy shit what the fuck?
So fucking glad I stuck with 10.10.
That would have been the limit.
>>
>>54988904
>So fucking glad I stuck with 10.10
What? 10.10 is when they fucked it up
>>
>>54988917
No worse than it always has been.
>>
>>54988937
Huh, I could've sworn 10.10 was like 10.11's
>>
>>54978592
was in charge of deployment for a midsized org with about 500 macs - i had everyone locked to yosemite, el cap just had way too many issues, especially with adobe software
>>
>>54988937
>those blurry-ass fonts

Even low-DPI screens are obsoleted by design now at Apple, it seems.
>>
>>54988949
Same here. When I got my rMBP with Yosemete, I can't recall seeing any UI like that.
>>
>>54988937
Holy shit Rydog you go on here too?!
>>
>>54988983
Fucking duh.
And no-one calls me Rydog.
>>
>>54989009
Don't mess with me Rydog. Cya in class.
>>
>>54988961
>especially with adobe software
Fucking adobe has issues with every damned OS release. It wouldn't be a problem if they could restrain themselves from scattering files to every dark corner of your drive and played by sandboxing rules but that's too much to ask of a multimillion-dollar company, apparently.
>>
Why is OSX so shit?
>>
>>54989023
If on thursday someone calls me Rydog I'll shit myself.
>>
>>54989060
It's not, your opinions are though.
>>
>>54988937
What's that temp indicator on the menu bar?
>>
>>54987213
>catalog.neet.tv/g/

Kek
>>
>>54983468
>integrated mail
hhahahhhhhshshhhhahahhhhah thiiiis fucxxkkkng retarddf omg hhhahhahh
>>
>>54989115
What a quality post you've got there.
>>
>>54989115
I'd say summer was here but Moot told us traffic doesn't even increase much when summer hits.

Fucking fag.
>>
>>54989060
Steve Jobs died.
>>
>>54989126
It seems like summer's just a three month excuse to go full retard
>>
>>54989088
smcfancontrol, i think.
>>
>>54987213
/thread
>>
Leopard was great, Snow Leopard fantastic, Lion great.

Not upgraded since then for a number of reasons.
>>
>>54989088
>>54989145
That.
SMCFanControl, I use it to lock my fan on 100% all the time because otherwise this thing fucking throttles.
Give it the choice, it throttles then bumps the fan up. Do this, it only throttles at the hardware's actual limit, not some bullshit setting prioritising noise level.
>>
>>54987213
>>
>>54989252
Chrome and battery life don't go together, ever. Firefox isn't much better. Use Safari if you want battery life.
>>
>>54989284
I've used all three. With more than 5 tabs, even safari doesn't make it any better.
Honestly, chrome's been one of the more battery friendly browser I've used.
>>
>>54989304
Did you install a content blocker like Wipr? That's made a massive difference for me.
>>
>>54989252
Well yeah, you're using Chrome. Motherfucker just LOVES to eat battery life.

Agreed about the font, though. Yosemite's Helvetica Nue looks like utter shit unless you're on a Retina display. El Capitan's San Francisco font is better, but still not very good on non-Retinas. If I were you, I'd try that app that reverts it back to Lucida Grande, and disable font smoothing. Looks pretty damn sharp then.
>>
>>54989332
>If I were you, I'd try that app that reverts it back to Lucida Grande
Yeah, it's called "Instal OS X Mavericks.app"
>>
Last time I owned an Apple product was 2009.

Kind of curious as to what has changed. Debating a Macbook or Surfacebook for my next laptop.
>>
>>54989252
>>
Leopard was great, Snow Leopard fantastic, Lion great.

Not upgraded since then for a number of reasons. Mainly compatibility issues with software, and everything after Lion sounds shit.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.