[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any open-source applications that are superior to their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: programming-400x267.jpg (123 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
programming-400x267.jpg
123 KB, 400x267
Are there any open-source applications that are superior to their closed-source counterparts?
>>
>>54978344
yes
>>
>>54978353
/thread
>>
>>54978353
Great argument
OP, all I can think of is Remina > Windows remote desktop
>>
>>54978353
Examples being?
>>
>>54978382
Remmina is buggy trash compared to RDPMan
>>
>>54978417
if you imply that my answer wasn't specific, your question also wasn't specific. I was working with something using EPICS, now give me something that is equal or better that suits my need. When you are writing drivers for cameras and motors, this is one way. Also don't start on labview, that thing is fugly with the capital FUG, not to mention the crashes when you want to create a simple .vi

Other than that, give me an example to provide an example onto your providing example
>>
>>54978344
Linux
>>
Superiority is hard to evaluate. But there are certain fields where proprietary solutions aren't even discussed. compilers come to mind. text editors. shells. libraries of all kinds. databases. Anything having to do with security. etc. etc.
>>
Apache httpd
>>
Web browsers. Music players. Ftp clients
>>
>>54978548
this
>>
WinSCP, Keepass
>>
>>54978344
yes, Atom
>>
>>54978382
I didn't realize we were arguing
>>
>>54978344
mpv
>>
>>54978417
Linux
>>
zsh
>>
Parted
>>
File: 1464755632600.png (271 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1464755632600.png
271 KB, 800x800
>>54978344
gcc
clang
gdb
Lucene
Solr
Hadoop
Postgres
Redis

Lucene/Redis don't have closed source competitors, and never will. They are already mostly perfect for their use cases, constantly being improved by the OSS community, and any new closed source attempts at making a competitor would both be initially dogshit in comparison and would never sell.

PS nobody in OSS gives a fuck about GUIshit, and rightly so. Keep your MS Office > OpenOffice memes out of here, prajeet. Nobody cares.
>>
>>54979211
Whats the closed source alternative to gcc?
>>
>>54978417
yes
>>
>>54978417
Name a single good closed-source kernel
>>
>>54980185
msvc
>>
>>54980185
MSBuild
Borland
Intel Parallel

For C/C++ at least
>>
>>54980312

Not a real alternative, they target separate platforms (MinGW is dogshit and doesn't count)
>>
>>54978526
this tbqh familia
only thing is games, if you play them.
Vulkan games when?
>>
>>54979211

>NO ONE CARES ABOUT EXAMPLES THAT PROVE ME WRONG.

yeah okay retard
>>
>>54980232
...NT?
>>
>>54980782

Isn't there a screenshot thread somewhere that you need to post wallpapers of your waifu in?
>>
I would say that most compilers work just as fine as their paid counterparts, which really aren't as much of a thing as they were twenty years ago, and bc, emacs, elinks, and lynx really don't have a counterpart in the windows world. *nixes aren't really "applications", but they're a perfect example of how open source stuff can really work out.
>>
>>54980905
>critical kernel vulnerabilities because they included scrollbar code inside the fucking kernel
>good

dream on pajeet
>>
File: 1462131193746.jpg (25 KB, 460x368) Image search: [Google]
1462131193746.jpg
25 KB, 460x368
>>54980782
s/NO ONE/NO ONE IN OSS/g

ftfy, and now it's correct again
>>
>>54978344
LibreOffice is better than OpenOffice :v
>>
>>54983867

It is like saying, piss is better than shit.
>>
>>54978344

Yes.

OSX > Windows :^)

https://www.apple.com/opensource/
>>
>>54983915
Thats just a list of projects, not the OS itself.
>>
openssh?
>>
>>54978344
will we have this thread every day?
why are you asking, you can't google it or something?
>>
The answer is no. It's unfortunate, but it's simply true.

There will always be people who will try to convince you that this or that is "really good". But the fact that the world is dominated by proprietary software, from servers to desktops to industrial to medical, says otherwise.
>>
ssh > PuTTY
>>
Linux is probably a better kernel than NT
>>
Chromium
Gecko
Firefox
Webkit
All better than IE and edge
>>
the open-sourced "new" real player was much better than the old proprietary one
>>
Pretty much everything outside of office, art, and gaming software has a superior open source alternative.

I think oss could surpass excel some day if they felt like trying.

Photoshop seems to be protected by patents and is untouchable competition wise. If the linux audio stack wasnt so fucked up they may be able to make some inroads there as well, but a lot of the sound and video stuff is also patent protected.

I wish there were rogue developers out there that didn't honor patents and a linux distro that had the balls to distribute.
>>
>>54984695
>a linux distro that had the balls to distribute.
eh most distros offer non-US (i.e. fuck patents) packages at least optionally
>>
then I don't get what the problem is, all the companies publish their best inventions to give them the power to sue competitors should they try to sell the same thing. We could just download the specs and re-implement all their fancy crap.
>>
>>54984805
>We could just download the specs and re-implement all their fancy crap.
happens often enough, just look at audio and video codecs
>>
>>54978344
bash/zsh/fish > powershell
freetype > cleartype
>>
>>54978344
Vlc
Literally all server software (nginx and the like)
Compilers (gcc, tcc, plus for embedded devices)
Lots of libraries for every purpose imaginable (openCV, etc)
Linux, the most used kernel worldwide
Utilities for RF comm

>>54984471
Except servers are dominated by FOSS software. Most server run a Linux distribution.
>>
All of them are far superior.
>>
>>54978650
>mentioning the ultimate worst example (overrated, oversized + bloated hipster editor)
>not being prepared for raep
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.