[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech Cancer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: >overclockers.jpg (144 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
>overclockers.jpg
144 KB, 1024x576
Are gamers the biggest cancer to the tech industry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWTAI_IyI-c
>>
File: github diversity training.png (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
github diversity training.png
1 B, 486x500
hardly
>>
i always dread overclocking my shit when i build a new rig. no idea why people would wanna do it for fun
>>
>>54971975
>experimentation isn't fun
not everyone is as poor as you
>>
>>54971989
i'm not poor it's just boring. i have a delidded 4770k running at 4.4ghz (shit chip) and a 780 ti with skyn3t bios running at 1150 mhz.

nothing fun about running prime95 for 5 hours for it to crash and then restarting to add a hundredth of a volt and running it again
>>
>>54972083
>nothing fun about running prime95 for 5 hours for it to crash and then restarting to add a hundredth of a volt and running it again
Different strokes for different folks.
>>
if you are debating them on a forum, absolutely yes.

if you are designing or reselling hi-end, high-margins products for them, then, they are you greatest blessing.
>>
>>54971963
>Merit is meaningless
>The only things that matter are your sex and the colour of your skin

I hate those fuckers. They're promoting sexism and racism and don't (probably) don't even realise it.
>>
>>54971989
>implying you need money to run hardware out of spec and shorten its lifespan in pursuit of one of the most worthless indicators of system performance in the modern era
>>
File: 1453700042617.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
1453700042617.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>54971928
actually, it's the exact oppostie
>>
>>54972188
Merit is meaningless when not everyone is born into the same opportunities and quality of life.
>>
>>54972534
That's bullshit. Every first world country offers free education.

And even if you insist that some black or brown guy in a ghetto doesn't have the same opportunities as somebody not living in a ghetto, discriminating against the person not living in a ghetto isn't the solution.
>>
>>54972617
Think of it this way.
The white male who grew up glued to his computer and learning to program didn't have to work at a young age to support his broken household.
Not everyone gets that luxury.
>>
>>54972650
There are more white males living in poverty than any other ethnicity.

But sure, keep trying to spread the misinformation about every white person living a life of privilege, you fucking cuck.
>>
File: fec.jpg (22 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
fec.jpg
22 KB, 600x400
>>54971963
>Some of the biggest barriers to progress are white women.
>>
>>54972650
The issue comes in when you forget the fact that white people are still the majority of Americans in extreme poverty, and giving support based on race or gender, instead of based on income or level of wealth. This doesn't solve any problems. You then just have wealthy minorities who take advantage of it. This girl at my school doesn't pay any tuition because she got a lot of scholarships aimed at hispanics in poverty. She was a upper-middle class white girl, but because her step-dad's last name was Martinez, she got free money instead of someone who actually needed support.
>>
>>54972650
>learning to handle work and responsibility at a young age is a bad thing
I do not understand your logic.
>>
>>54971963
>some of the biggest barriers to progress are white women

Kek'd so hard because it's truth.
>>
>>54971928
i don't get it. what's the point if the hardware is the deciding factor? all they do is the exact same steps.
>>
>>54972703
Where do I find these scholarships?
Do I go through my school, or do I fill out forms online?
>>
>>54972684
>>54972703
Majority in number, not in proportionality. Yeah, white people are the most common type of poverty, but it's not a pervasive white problem the way it is for black or Hispanic people. Aren't programmers good at math?
>>
>>54972860
fafsa.gov

Your school should have a scholarship page.
>>
>>54972948
that's federal student aid
i guess i'll go through my school directly then
>>
>>54972534
>merit is meaningless
It's literally the only thing that matters

If you had ever tried to hire someone you'd have a completely different view
>>
>>54972940
>Yeah, white people are the most common type of poverty, but it's not a pervasive white problem
Go steal a bike instead of spouting more stupid shit, nigger.
>>
File: 1390681307681.png (14 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1390681307681.png
14 KB, 800x600
>>54972940
>Yeah, white people are the most common type of poverty, but it's not a pervasive white problem the way it is for black or Hispanic people

Well then, if blacks and hispanics in America do have a higher percentage of people in poverty, what do you suppose the root cause is? We can root out any form of segregation from the white people or the government because as far as I'm aware we don't have any form of lawful segregation in any field or industry. Quite the opposite, in fact. Segregation in any form is punishable by law. We have forced integration in all schools throughout the country. We even have multiple minority scholarships.

So, how exactly are poor white families given a leg up over poor blacks and hispanics? Please state facts and not opinions.
>>
>>54971963
>Some of the biggest barriers to progress are white women.

Is this real?
>>
File: 1461934128460.jpg (189 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1461934128460.jpg
189 KB, 1462x1462
>>54971963
>biggest barriers to progress are white women
>>
>>54973781
>go to silicon valley
>it's all white people, asians and imported H1-B indians

don't forget
>hispanic/black parents didn't grow up with computers, so they don't push their kids to go into technology fields, at all
>you become the black sheep of the family for pursuing tech

>b-b-b-but everyone has equal opportunities, you guys!!

sure thing, sheltered white boy, sure thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 604x604
>>54971963
>white women roasted once again
>>
>>54973823
As opposed to what?
That sounds like such a fucking non-thing. Instant flashes of that Chris Rock bit.
>>
>>54973823
>black sheep for pursuing tech
Nigger what kind of bizzaro world do you live in? Nobody becomes black sheep for pursuing tech nowadays. It's the 21st century and the silicone valley has made it cool. The only sheltered one here seems to be you.
>>
>>54972684
>There are more white males living in poverty than any other ethnicity.
[Citation needed]
>>
>>54973879
>Nobody becomes black sheep for pursuing tech nowadays. It's the 21st century and the silicone valley has made it cool.
How do you know? Are you from a black family?
>>
File: 143579047602456245.png (248 KB, 400x475) Image search: [Google]
143579047602456245.png
248 KB, 400x475
>dumb niggers and shitskins try to into statistics

its too bad its my bedtime, this would be a fun thread
>>
>>54973973
There's a couple of silly issues here. Because even if he's wrong, what's the problem?
What would make you the black sheep? Working with too many white devils? Being in a line of work that doesn't have enough street cred?
Way to do it to yourself and blame white people...
>>
>>54974051
I'm not him and I'm not black. Answer the fucking question.
>>
>>54974090
I'm >>54974051 and I'm not the one >>54973973 asked

But to answer you question while we wait for >>54973879 - No I'm not black or from a black family.
>>
>>54973823
Equal opportunity does not mean equal outcome you mong

People make choices and they are responsible for them
>>
>>54973823
So do you when you pursue tech when you are a white male.
My family isn't wealthy.
I moved out when I was 16, got a job to support myself.
When I was 21, I quit my job to get an education and now I am writing my master thesis in CE.
I don't have a supporting family or a magic bank account where I can just draw from my endless resources.
But when we have 1 black guy and 19 white males in our class, that doesn't say anything about racism or sexism. It says that black people and women have different interests, and that is okay.
Giving black people or women special treatment where they are more likely to fail courses etc, is not happening.
There is no conspiracy to keep them out of technology.
They just decide not to go.
>>
File: 1462881211654.png (493 KB, 1238x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462881211654.png
493 KB, 1238x1080
Maki posters you mean?
>>
>>54972650
us spics don't have to do that shit either, what the fuck is wrong with you? gb2reddit with your psuedo-sympathetic bullshit. the fact is we're not all welfare leeches who do drugs and make bad decisions. my parents weren't rich but my girlfriend and i can afford to mess with tech with the money we earn at our jobs. we also don't talk to spics and blacks who act ghetto and work shitty teenager jobs at gas stations and grocery stores.

literally the decisions you make are all that matter, nothing else.
>>
File: Chaparral_2J.jpg (50 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Chaparral_2J.jpg
50 KB, 800x533
>>54971928
Clock speeds are designed to get the best out of a chip without endangering it.

Just because X% can get a notable performance gain without damaging it, does not make it a good idea generally as thing like fault and safety tolerances are included in industry wide calculations for a reason, despite that each chip is slightly different.

Also that fact they are using liquid nitrogen to cool them shows me they are amateurs at this. These setups look like they were engineered by high school students rather than professionals. Do they offer prizes for this stuff? Because if the only goal is to get higher clock speeds on a chip I could make some easy money, assuming the rules don't ban creative engineering like most competitions do.
>>
>>54971928
Why is Wil Wheaton overclocking?
>>
>>54971928
The answer is /g/'s linux as a desktop os brigade.
>>
>>54974432
I used to work as a hiring manager for an IT consulting firm. Before i became the manager the guy in charge at the time would brag about throwing out resumes with black sounding names on them. I used to think he was bullshitting until i saw him do it numerous times (hundreds of resumes thrown out simply because the person was black). I didn't say anything because he was close to retirement and was in line to take over his position (and have a chance to undo what he had been doing for almost 25 years)

After i finally became manager i was informed of the initial salary ranges that were allowed to be offered. and i kid you not, they were broken up into the following categories: Asian, White, Import, White Female and then Colored.

Black potential employees would be offered a initial salary of 27% less of what white potential employees would be offered initially. and this is regardless of experience and education. Keeping quite about this would grant the managers hefty bonuses each year. Which made no sense because the cost of those raises always ended up exceeding what would have been spent if we treated everyone the same.

Example: One day we needed someone with experience in system monitoring an automation. The average salary for someone with Mid to SR level experience would range anywhere from 90-125k. We had three people apply for the position. The white guy came from a big name company but only had 3 years experience and no experience in one of the key pieces of software. The black guy had about 7 years and was certified in the software. The starting salary offer that was posted for the job was 110k. the initial offer for the white guy was 115k and 73k for the black guy. When the black asked for more they immediately dropped him and gave the job to the white guy. The excuse the hiring manager gave him was "We need someone with more experience then what you currently have and someone else with that experience has also applied, sorry"

it happens alot.
>>
>>54971928
No, because them we have nice things like high end graphics cards and good CPUs at a competitive price.
>>
>>54978009
cont.

once i found out about what had happened i had complained to my superiors that there was no way the contract was going to get completed on time with the white guy that we had hired and that the black candidate would have been the better choice. the response - "we have already met the company quota".

I quit later that day. Fearing that i would complain to the NAACP they offered me a 6 month severance package as long as i signed a contract not to speak about what happened. i told them to fuck off with their money.

Does this happen everywhere? No. But it does happen alot. You go to these conventions and shit on how to be more profitable for your company and you constantly hear conversations about throwing out resumes after quotas have been met.
>>
>>54972534
>Merit is meaningless when not everyone is born into the same opportunities and quality of life.
Half the billionaires in this world were born to poor parents and grew up doing physical work,
so your words are complete bullshit.

How are you going to justify when a poorer person got better grades, better pay, and better qualifications than you do? Poverty privilege? Opportune poverty?
Fucking idiot.
>>
>>54978009
>>54978077
If what you're saying is true then that actually pisses me off so fucking much. Nobody should be judged on the colour of their skin. I would be equally pissed at an SJW firm hiring poc with less experience over some white guy just cause he is a white male.
>>
>>54978201
you'd be surprised, but the former happens alot more than the latter.
>>
>>54978009
>>54978077
Fucknoff with your lies, sjw
>>
>>54978700
nice argument, faggot. SJW's are garbage too. i wasn't making some sjw stance, just telling it how it is. shit happens on both sides.

I know you're unemployed and all, but please don't try to act like you know what happens behind closed doors you pleb faggot.
>>
>>54978700
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/02/jose-joe-job-discrimination_n_5753880.html

>change name from Jose to Joe
>suddenly you get phone calls up the ass
This isn't a coincidence.
>>
>>54973823
Jesus this is ignorant.

I am white
I come from a family of dairy farmers
My dad can't even type
I have been called upon numerous times to type emails to his lawyer or some other crap while he dictates.

and yet I am a comp sci major.

The issue is quite the opposite actually. Many of the minority students I meet were actually pushed into the field by their family or those stupid programs. Many of them fail out because quite simply they don't like it very much. Those few that do finish end up in some meme field because they didn't push themselves hard enough to ever be qualified to do something like kernel development or anything involving c.

The real problem is that most of them don't seem to care.
>>
File: 1445152579009.jpg (118 KB, 640x718) Image search: [Google]
1445152579009.jpg
118 KB, 640x718
>>54971963
>Some of the biggest barriers to progress are white women
I like this class.
>>
>>54971963
>this derails the thread
not that it was good to begin with

>>54977493
b-but liquid nitrogen is so cold, so it must be a good coolant!
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.