[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/svg/ - Silicon Valley General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10
File: Silicon_valley_title.png (357 KB, 489x275) Image search: [Google]
Silicon_valley_title.png
357 KB, 489x275
who true tech here? where do you work?

I'm moving out in august and am looking for the best place to live. I'm thinking SoMa/south beach and caltraining in. are there any hidden gems in the bay proper?
>>
>No replies
kekmoa the loli lamia
>>
>>54971127
SoMa/south beach
where the fuck is dat m8?
this ain't miami
>>
>>54971655
San Francisco you moron.
>>
>>54971672
>caltraining into SF from SF
... do you mean BARTing in?

caltrain is awful. BART is awful too but it's a post-industrialism sort of awful. Caltrain is running the same route that was built in the 1800s with frighteningly little modernization going on.
>>
>>54971672
nigga, south beach would be something like santa cruz
Frisco isn't south of the bay dumbass
>>
>>54971717
>Frisco
even literal faggots don't call it frisco
>>
East bay is full of shitskins. Just move to one of the rich neighborhoods outside like Dublin or San Ramon
>>
>>54971717
Keeping digging that hole of stupidity you troglodyte. Santa Cruz is over 70 miles south of San Francisco.

https://www.airbnb.com/locations/san-francisco/south-beach
>>
File: 606259085.gif (2 MB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
606259085.gif
2 MB, 250x187
>>54971766
>using airbnb to locate Santa Cruz
>>
while I didn't technically work in tech at the time...

I spent the summer out in SF with my sister. She lived in Milbrae, and I commuted on Caltrain every day to and from work, riding my bike inbetween

let me tell you, nothing is more relaxing than riding down the embarcadero in the morning. It's a bit more harrowing in the evening, but still beautiful nonetheless.

the people of SF may be the most pretentious fucks in the world but I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me that SF isn't one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
>>
>>54971127
startup in Redwood City. bay area sucks it's too crowded and expensive
>>
>>54971862
>this nigga speaks the truth
>>
>>54971714
into the bay, not into SF. every company that matters is in the bay
>>
>>54972055
>into the bay, not into SF
oh, okay.
>every company that matters
please don't make autistic comments. you were doing fine.
>>
File: IMG_20140713_204226.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140713_204226.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>54971999
It's a summer I won't soon forget.
Took this photo in the San Andreas Reservoir, a 5 minute walk from my sister's house
>>
File: 628x471-3.jpg (64 KB, 628x471) Image search: [Google]
628x471-3.jpg
64 KB, 628x471
>>54971714

Caltrain must suck or else the techie buses wouldn't be fucking up muni stops.
>>
>>54971731

Take your ass to Lakeview & say that.
>>
>>
File: hetchy.gif (214 KB, 1560x1144) Image search: [Google]
hetchy.gif
214 KB, 1560x1144
>>
File: IMG_0351-620x465.jpg (103 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0351-620x465.jpg
103 KB, 620x465
>>
>>54972990
Caltrain's not bad, except for when the high school students in Palo Alto find out they didn't get into the college their parents wanted them to go to, and kill themselves by jumping in front of the train.

Unless someone dies, or tries to drive a car down the tracks, Caltrain is within a minute or two of the scheduled time.
>>
>>54973046
it hurts how accurate this is
>>
>>54972990
Microsoft has a bunch of shuttles to/from Seattle - the program is called "the Connector" and if I remember correctly MS prides itself on like thousands using it (there are like half a dozen or more lines and they run like a dozen times in the morning and a dozen or more times in the evening). The Seattle public transportation network isn't bad (the express is actually really amazing, especially compared to the bay area's bus systems), but the fact is that a private bus system is hard to beat.

The point is that buses aren't existential proof that the public transportation system is terrible; these systems exist and thrive in places that public transportation is reasonably good. This *should* all serve as an indicator to public transportation directors that there'd be support for something like a more modern transit systems running primarily from SF to PA with some going to SJ, but I don't think there's enough support to overcome the people who live in PA, Los Altos, Saratoga, etc... who don't want commuter trains within 30 miles of them (if they could stop Caltrain, they would, but it's already here).
>>
>>54971731
pretty much this. I live in san jose and everytime i hear frisco i instantly have the urge to walk away from the source of that sound.
>>
>>54971127
Sf here. Good look living in soma, that over priced shitholes. Then again I'm haight/Ashbury which is equally shit
>>
How expensive is it to live in the bay area?
>>
>>54973107
Dimsum is off a few blocks. It sure is hell isn't on lake
>>
File: image08.png (99 KB, 996x592) Image search: [Google]
image08.png
99 KB, 996x592
>>54973100
>Unless someone dies, or tries to drive a car down the tracks, Caltrain is within a minute or two of the scheduled time.
Someone did analysis on this for roughly September 2015-February 2016. The points here are averages and the shaded areas are 1 standard deviation, meaning that 66% fall within that shaded area. Caltrain performance is, on average, more than 2 minutes late, often as late as ~10 minutes.

And the severe delays caused by things like suicides are just common enough that people feel they can't really rely on Caltrain to get them places.

This is saying nothing of the fact that Caltrain just isn't that fast. You could drive and get to a place in about the same time that Caltrain gets you there most of the time. And that'd be fine if Caltrain was empirically much cheaper even for people that already own a car, but once you have a car (which many people do, because the rest of the bay area makes it hard to get by without one) the marginal cost of driving (even to SF) isn't that great.

the bay area needs to get much, much more serious with its public transportation. before ride-sharing came around you could kind of argue that Caltrain and BART at least had a place for people that would go into the city wanting to drink and whatnot (getting pulled over for drinking and driving in California is treacherous for your insurance, driving record, etc... perhaps more than elsewhere). But now there's a real risk of all but the poorest lower class folks evacuating public transportation in favor of private shuttles, on-demand taxi services, and a smattering of driving for oneself. But these aren't practical ways to use infrastructure at the scale the Bay Area is growing to.
>>
>>54971127
I live within walking distance from work for the sole purpose of avoiding the 101 trafficopolypse and the various rice goblin and pooinloo drivers.
>>
>>54973316
"if you have to ask..."
>>
>>54973046
how is there nothing for Fisherman's Warf
>>
>>54971127
sounds like you've thought this through.
how much parents' money you got before you're fucked?
cost of living is insane there
>>
>>54973539
Just write "TOURISTS" across all of fisherman's wharf and embarcadero
>>
>>54973545
the left part of aquatic park should be "Tourists and Chocolate"
>>
>>54972990
Are there still hippy shitheads who block shuttles in SF?
>>
Work in RTP in NC. It's a large tech hub and its where most major software companies have a secondary HQ at.

The cost of living is much cheaper than the Bay Area but it has high salaries. The area is very similar to Austin in terms of tech jobs. You have the surrounding areas of Raleigh, chapel hill, Durham, Cary Which is breeding ground for major academic research at 3 of the best schools in the country outside of UC/ivies with UNC, Duke, NC State.

NC State had a better engineering school than duke and has the largest tech recruiting in the state, with companies like Apple and Facebook recruiting from it.

RTP is the little known secret in the tech community. Everyone else focuses on SF/Austin.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.