[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll be traveling to China for a month at the end if the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: cld7D88.jpg (701 KB, 2444x1534) Image search: [Google]
cld7D88.jpg
701 KB, 2444x1534
I'll be traveling to China for a month at the end if the year.

What sort of technology do you guys carry while traveling/flying?

What do you recommend?
>>
>>54969750
>going to china
flamethrower for the Uyghurs.
>>
I have travelled around the globe with my tech. Pack light. And put all the necessary items in your hand reach.

Laptop, laptop charger, mouse, LAN adapter (if no internal LAN), LAN Cable, phone, Phone charger, tablet, tablet charger, headsets, sunglasses, international adapters (2x), a flash memory, and external HDD.
>>
>>54969797
I meant the civilized regions of China.
>>
>>54969816
If you want to carry a DSLR, pack a minimum amount of lenses, external batteries, memories, and the charger.
>>
Oxygen tank and mask
>>
>>54969816

What about internet access and phones ?

How does that work? If i get a SIM card there, does it just work?
>>
>>54969866
Depends on. If you have a Verizon or Sprint phone, probably not. ATT and T- Mobile (unlocked) Phones should work just fine. Upon arrival use the airport internet or a coffee shop's to search for providers in the country. visit their websites and check which one is cheaper for prepaid (preferably with a packaged internet since you're gonna use A LOT of data on Google Maps and navigation). Get one and put it in your phone.

For money, don't exchange money at the airports since their rates are usually lower. Exchange just e enough to get to your hotel/ place of stay. From there visit some local exchanges and compare the rates.
>>
>>54969866
It's important to check the provider websites first to get yourself familiar with the plan names etc. If you're a foreigner they will probably try to sell you higher price plans without letting you know about the cheaper ones
>>
Do you guys purchase travel insurance?
>>
>>54969750
Personally I would bring a smartphone IMHO thats quite important for traveling
>>
>>54969750
laptop, phone, and headphones are a given

i usually bring two portable chargers for my phone

bring uum, Ethernet cable i guess?
>>
>>54969827
>confirmed never been to china
>>
>>54970014
>purchasing cuck insurance
>>
>>54969827
>he actually believes there are civilized regions in china
>>
A damn good vpn or tor
>>
>>54969750 VPS with shadowsocks or obfuscated openvpn.
>>
>be American
>Go to China
>Teach English to college kids
>Get drunk at the bar at my buildings ground floor every night
>Barely speak Mandarin, no desire to learn
>No one wears deoderant
>Want to go home, but then I'd have literally nothing.

It's either this shit or I go home and join. The military. God damn where did I go so wrong.
>>
>>54972400
how the fuck can you teach english if you don't even speak mandarin
>>
>>54969750
If you're bringing your own phone, check what type of antennas it uses before you choose a Chinese network. This caused me some headaches as China Unicom (based data, would recommend) was expanding their 4g in my area but fucking China doesn't really use LTE and has weird standards so I was stuck with 3G despite having a solid unlocked phone.

Also, your internet will be awful, no matter what. Get at least two VPNs, one of which works on mobile (Psiphon is great and free).
>>
>>54969750
Power bank for the phone if you're moving around outside all day.
>>
>>54969833
KEK

>>54970297 >>54970691
LEL

>>54969866
BUY A CHINKFONE OUT THERE, THEY USE RETARDED BANDS

XIAOMI IS THEIR APPLE KNOCKOFF, SHITS CHEAP AND EASILY ROOTABLE
>>
I have a X201 only for travelling with fresh clean Ubuntu. So far I've never had problems with it, only once that I wanted it in my carry-on for a 3 hour flight and the TSA took the battery to give it a look, and asked me to turn it on and "edit a word".

I carry all my personal info in a small encrypted pendrive. Stuff like my ssh keys and password db.

So I suggest you to get a cheap laptop only for travelling
>>
>>54969750
>>54969816

I'd also suggest a travel router. Preferably one that connects to open wifi, then gives you private wifi behind a VPN.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.