[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
portable pc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: portopc.jpg (50 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
portopc.jpg
50 KB, 560x560
so I'm doing a portable PC build with one of these and was wondering if there was such a thing as a portable monitor to use with it. If not what would be my best option?
>>
what battery are you going to use?
>>
>>54969389
You need an e-ink monitor.
No backlight and almost zero power consumption.
>>
>>54969389
yeah they're called laptops.
>>
>>54969389
Save yourself the headache and people chuckling at you behind your back and just get a laptop.
>>
I don't understand why you would do this. If you packed an SG-13 with good enough parts to beat a high-performance laptop, it would be heavy as balls, and it's already so non-portable. I get the idea that laptop parts are much weaker, and a portable desktop is appealing, but it's just not practical.

Also, best of luck on that monitor.
>>
>>54969389
Use an iMac or similar AIO.
>>
>>54969389
Gechic 2501H and Gechic 1502I.
Can't do anything about the price since there's no other companies making portable monitors without Displaylink crap.
>>
>>54969389
>>54972093
>>54972093
http://www.amazon.com/GeChic-2501H-1920x1080-Portable-Monitor/dp/B018DXABEU
>>
get a cheap monitor with HDMI, buy chromecast, plug into it. use wireless display technology to steam desktop to monitor via chromecast.

suffer horrible, horrible input lag.
>>
File: 1457844388887.gif (2 MB, 285x200) Image search: [Google]
1457844388887.gif
2 MB, 285x200
>>54969754
Could be using it in a hotel room and just needs to be small enough to fit in a backpack or something I guess.
>>
>>54969389
Would be possible to hook up some sort of tablet? I think I've seen someone do that before.
>>
>>54973278
While I like the idea of a portable desktop, taking the hotel argument. They typically have tvs in those rooms op or anyone could use.
>>54973309
You can, not sure if you can set it up to connect automatically, though. But I'm sure you could force it somehow.

Also, if you're concerned more with function and not with the greatest resolutions or refresh rates. Just search portable monitor on amazon. All kinds of usb powered monitors ranging from 80$ - 300$
>>
>>54974325
DisplayLink monitors (USB connection only) require software drivers -> cannot see anything until the OS is loaded up, which means you can't access the bios or troubleshoot the computer with it.
There's also high latency due to the USB 3.0 connection and it eats extra CPU power. They're usually only used as secondary monitor for the laptop. The only exception is >>54972108
>>
>>54974411
Hadn't considered the lack of bios access. Which is arguably unnecessary. As far as the added cpu strain, I suppose that issue would be dependent on what cpu you're using to begin with. But yeah, I agree that the other one posted is more ideal.

There's also the option of modding a standard monitor to be more portable, even possibly make it a folding lid on the computer.
>>
File: backpack pc.jpg (17 KB, 620x312) Image search: [Google]
backpack pc.jpg
17 KB, 620x312
>>54973278
Just get this m8 with a htc vive as a monitor
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.