[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Admit it, the only reason you use the GPL is because you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: no_gpl.png (9 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
no_gpl.png
9 KB, 192x192
Admit it, the only reason you use the GPL is because you're afraid someone else will make your code better than you could have and you want to be able to have what they did.
>>
>>54967971
you sound a bit defensive
>>
Making the code better is the reason why the GPL exists. The GPL doesn't exist to make the code worse over time.
>>
>>54967983
Name a single GPL application which didn't get worse and more bloated over time.

GNU is a pinnacle of this technique.
>>
>>54968004
Emacs
Gimp
>>
>>54968024
>naming two perfect examples of applications which never went anywhere and got legitimately worse over time

Come on now.
>>
>>54968024
Again, name a single GPL application which didn't get worse and more bloated over time.
>>
>>54967958
>implying I haven't taken GPL shit and manipulated it and used it without a license attached

>implying anyone, ever, can see the shit on my server-side

fuck you fuck all lcienses

IDGAF license for life
>>
>>54968004
All of them. GNU is the antithesis of this technique.
>>
>>54968044
Emacs
Gimp
>>
>>54968068
gcc
>>
>>54968053
It always pleases me that GNU is dying and won't even be included with major Linux distros in another five years.
>>
>>54968047
The GPL is not a usage license. The GPL has no concern in how you use the GPL software.
>>
>>54968075
GCC is dead. It did exactly what most of GNU ever did, which was grow and stagnate.

Clang has obliterated it in every way.
>>
>GCC is so restrictive that any plugins you write MUST be open-source
>LLVM is so permissive that you can use it any way you want

GPL kills everything.
>>
>>54968068
>>54968075
they're terrible software

we're mostly stuck with gcc because that's what linus torvalds used in the 90's
>>
The copyleft principle is the reason gnu+linux has left BSD in the dust in terms of adoption, usability, and maturity.
Something like the Adobe plugins for webp being bsd licensed makes sense, but in most cases releasing code under a permissive license is asking for your ass to be raped.
>>
>>54968153
The license has literally nothing to do with it. BSD is better than Linux in every way on a technical level.

Linux was free first, it naturally gained ground with people who use it to make money, which literally every distro group is out to make.
>>
>>54968109
>GCC is so restrictive that any plugins you write MUST be open-source
What? I compile all my shit with GCC and most of it is proprietary.
>>
>>54968192
haha no.
>>
>>54967958
>you're afraid someone else will make your code better

I recognize my own limitations and that other people might have /better ideas than I do/ and that these better ideas should be incorporated into code that can be passed on to incorporate other "better ideas."

Anyone who thinks he knows fucking everything is either 14 or has a narcissistic personality disorder, like Trump, in which case the mentality is that of a toddler rather than a teen.
>>
My code is shit anyway
My life is just a prank bro
>>
>>54968029
>Emacs
>never went anywhere
anyone working in software knows what emacs is
>>
>>54968391
I know this feeling all too well
>>
>>54968391
>My code is shit anyway
>My life is just a prank bro

old fart here.

EVERYBODY IS FAKING IT.

Never take anyone too seriously.

Knowing this is going to save your life.
>>
>>54968979
Eh, I've met a couple people who actually know their shit, but I'd still agree with you for the most part.
>>
>>54968195
this

if you don't release it, you can do whatever you want.
>>
>>54968411
Literally nobody but nerds writing code nobody uses use Emacs. I'm not even kidding. It's one of the most autistic text editors man has ever created. Even autists who insist on doing everything on the command line usually use VIM or even Nano instead.

Real developers use actual development IDEs. You know, the things you actually need if you intend to do any kind of efficient and practical software development on modern applications. I realize that IDEs worth a damn are almost impossible to find on Linux, but that's because Linux itself is a pretty irrelevant platform for software development.
>>
>>54969230
>real developers

naw
>>
>>54969263
Then you don't write software that anyone else uses.
>>
>>54969101
>Eh, I've met a couple people who actually know their shit, but I'd still agree with you for the most part.

>>54968979

here.

People generally "know their shit" in very narrow fields. I'm not talking about technical stuff. I'm talking about life in general. I have yet to see anyone who has all their shit together in any significant way.

"Perfection is the enemy of good" gets bandied about quite a lot sometimes without any kind of understanding. Perfectionism was pounded into my head at an early age, and this idiocy held me back because in various ways I thought I had to "get my shit together" before I could do something.

I.e., trying to be perfect stopped me from doing good for myself and others, at various times in my life.

>>54968391

If you think you're faking it, don't let that stop you from doing good.

"regrets, I've had a few" - sinatra "my way"
>>
Actually, dickhead.
I use GPL programs because I use Npackd on fresh windows installs, and the majority of software on that programs repository is GPL licensed.
I'll use any gpl program equivalent of a non-free software if npackd is able to install it properly.
That shit saves me hours of time.
>>
>>54968047
If it's GPL and using it to provide a network service, then you're respecting the GPL.

Now if it were AGPL that would be another story.
>>
>>54969321
>using Windows
>caring about whether software is GPL

Are you retarded or something? What the fuck difference does it make if it's Apache, MIT, or anything other than GPL?
>>
>>54969341
>I don't properly read peoples posts before replying
Fuck you, faggot.
I clearly just said that I'll use any software than Npackd has on offer, it just happens to be majority GPL, seeing as Npackd is also GPL licensed
>>
>>54969230
What IDEs aren't available on Linux? Everything but VS is on every platform.
>>
>>54969376
You named GPL programs specifically three times. Don't blame other people for your own inability to express your thoughts properly.

>>54969377
>everything but VS

lol what planet are you from? You really are disconnected from the outside world.

VS alone is a major loss. How the Linux community could have no equivalent, or anything even close, to VS, is pretty evident of what a pointless unfocused community of amateurs that it all is.
>>
>>54969413
All of JetBrains's IDEs are on all platforms and they do literally everything better than VS.
And "lol what planet are you from" isn't an answer, but it is an incredibly effective way to let everyone know that you can't answer the question because you know that you're wrong.
>>
>>54969460
>JetBrains
>better than VS

What planet are you from? Serious question. You're lacking at LEAST a dozen features that most professionals use on a daily basis. I know, because I've worked at firms who thought they could float by using that piece of shit. Any company with an infrastructure of VS is always more productive and professional. We're not talking about Baby's First C Program here, so if that's what you do then you hardly have any room to talk.
>>
>>54969506
>You're lacking at LEAST a dozen features that most professionals use on a daily basis.
Name even one. Because I'm doing this professionally and I haven't seen anything that VS can do that JetBrains doesn't do better.
And you're still incapable of finding any IDE but VS that isn't on Linux.
>>
>>54969413
>I'll use [anything] if npackd is able to install it properly
How about you stop blaming other people for your inability to read properly.
>>
>>54969648
>doing this professionally
>choosing something other than VS

Pick one.

>>54969710
>wahhhhhhh
>>
>>54970067
You're not going to even act like you're doing anything but shitposting, are you?
>>
>>54970077
It's not shitposting, you're legitimately not a professional. That's not even in dispute anymore.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-07-20-17-52.png (216 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-07-20-17-52.png
216 KB, 1080x1920
>>54970086
>You
Try again.
And at no point did you ever respond to his points, you just started shitposting and making baseless claims.
>>
>>54970134
Oh, you're the other idiot who needs to use open-source on Windows.

I thought I was talking to the other idiot who was pretending to be a software professional by opting to use a piece of Java software as his primary development environment.
>>
>>54967958
You can modify GPL code and not share it.

They GPL it so that you can't distribute non-free versions.
>>
>>54970161
>a piece of Java software
You what, mate? JetBrains has an IDE for every language, not just Java. Also, you still can't name even one feature that only VS has.
>>
>>54970161
>needs to use open-source on Windows.
But I explicitly stated that I don't. I use whatever is convenient, which is usually open source.
>>
>>54968087
>Clang has obliterated it in every way.
Except producing faster binaries.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.