[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intel VT-d
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: banana boat.jpg (328 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
banana boat.jpg
328 KB, 800x600
How badly did I fuck up by buying an unlocked Intel Core i5, which is missing the Intel VT-d feature?

How much are my VMs suffering from this?
Will they survive the winter?

And also, is it true that the Core i5 locked and unlocked models are 1:1 identical at the transistor level, with one of the very few differences being that Intel flipped a "dis shit be unlocked" bit somewhere on the die - and for which they greedily marked it up by $30?
>>
>>54966209
Yes.

And yes. There's no hardware reason why non-K chips can't overclock (as seen in the recent Skylake non-K overclocking unlocked by motherboard manufacturers). They're just prevented from doing so because Intel are the biggest kikes around.
>>
You're only missing out on passthrough pretty much, but I've seen memes about it on tumblr.
>>
>>54966209
Should have gone with an FX 8 core if you needed to do virtual machine work
>>
>>54966209
Should have went Skylake. Oh wait, newer features are a meme on /g.
>>
>>54966677
Probably should've mentioned this in the OP, but I bought my processor in 2011. I don't think Skylake was out then.
>>
>>54966717
non k would have given you vt-d then. >>54966291
Theres a reason why skylake is able to overclock better using BLCK from all other generations, you know?
>>
>>54966786
>non k would have given you vt-d then

That was implied in my OP when I said I fucked up and got an unlocked.

And for what it's worth, I did want the non-unlocked variant, but the store I bought it at was having a huge-ass sale and there was literally one Core i5 left - and it was an unlocked one.

Also, now that I think about it, I haven't been up-to-speed with processors in years. Where can I go to learn more about what's going on?
>>
>>54966786
>Theres a reason why skylake is able to overclock better using BLCK from all other generations, you know?

That's completely irrelevant, you dumb fag. The issue being discussed was whether non-K chips are physically capable of being overclocked, or simply artificially prevented from doing so by Intel. The answer is obvious and an example was provided. How the overclock was achieved is beside the point.
>>
>>54966842
You already know the answer, so why start a shitty thread? Horny, and want a Intel-is-shit-and-I'm-too-poor-to-buy-what-I-want circlejerk?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.