[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Test bench as case
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 341.jpg (116 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
341.jpg
116 KB, 1200x797
With everyone complaining about the GTX 1080 temperature benchmarks being unrealistic because they were done on a test bench it got me thinking, why not just use a test bench for my PC?

Pros:
All the cool air you want don't have to worry about case airflow
GPU and CPU fans don't have to work as hard so maybe not as loud (see cons)
Easy build on and to change parts

Cons:
Possibly bad cooling of motherboard heatsinks and ram with no airflow over them
Possibly louder with no case to deaden GPU fan noise
Dust buildup. But much easier to clean because just blow air on it
Could spill your drink on it and ruin your hardware
Retards could touch it or you could accidentally
Looks pretty nerdy

What do you think /g/? Anyone do this?
>>
Any test bench bros?
>>
>>54965256
If you're going full testbench you can add big fans pointing directly to the mobo and gpu, they can be attatched in any way (since looks are not a concern) and there should actually be no dust problem if you clean it lightly once a week with canned air
>>
>>54966956
Would fans on the mobo be necessary or would the airflow from the CPU cooler fans and GPU fans get enough flow over it?
>>
>>54966972
I would put a 140mm fan pointing at an angle towards the mobo just to ensure good airflow ( and that the dust doesn't settle)
>>
>>54965256
Dust
Noise
Big as fuck
Ugly as fuck
>>
>>54967041
Dust will be easy to clean because no case
Will it be noisier though with no case fans? Idle will be dead silent I hope the open air will make gpu fans run slower. Big? Not really any bigger than a case. Smaller actually for most benches. Ugly, well that's subjective. I like seeing hardware.
>>
File: forge.jpg (362 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
forge.jpg
362 KB, 1600x1200
>>54968190
I like seeing the hardware. Could put the test bench in a wood cabinet with a glass door to protect it from spilled drinks and still be able to see everything.

To me nothing is as ugly as tower cases. Like tron meets high tech basketball shoes aesthetic.
>>
>>54969167
Putting inside a wood case would just heat up the case though.
>>
File: main[1].jpg (130 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
main[1].jpg
130 KB, 600x580
>>54965256
Thermaltake got a bunch of test bench style cases. This is the one I'm looking at for a 7700K/1080 build I got planned for later this year.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Chassis/Cube_Case_/Core/C_00002559/Core_V21/design.htm
>>
Coolermaster xb evo turns into a test bench.
>>
test
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.