[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need some advice /g/ I found a old laptop that we got given by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1458864464412.jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458864464412.jpg
31 KB, 400x400
Need some advice /g/ I found a old laptop that we got given by a family friend that I just put away and forgot about. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro L40-12S with Win XP on it currently. Seems fucked as Windows won't even move past the log in screen. I was thinking about just wiping Windows off it and giving Linux a try with it to see if it works.

I've never used Linux before & I can see there are a few different versions of Linux out there, do you guys have any recommendations as to which version of Linux might be the most stable for a laptop this old?
>>
fuck and cum in the computer, op
>>
>>54964382
But I don't want to anon.
>>
>>54964366
You can try lubuntu.
It's lightweight and there shouldn't be any problems running it.
>>
>>54964382

this
>>
>>54964366
> What is google
>>
>>54964500
>"Need some advice /g/"

Google gives you result, not advices.
>>
mmk. depends how much effort you want to put in. I've run multiple linux distros on an old POS toshiba satellite with varying results. Arch worked pretty well, granted i only bothered with using a tiling windows manager because reasons. you could try one of the lightweight Fedora spins like LXDE or XFCE or Mate etc if you want the best balance of bleeding edge / stability / set-up time. Otherwise it ran Debian with openbox and it was fine. You will likely have problems with modern Desktop Environments!!! However, Gnome 3 is sort of usable on shit hardware if you disable animations and futz about with tweak tool
>>
Gentoo
>>
File: 1454798590614.jpg (67 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
1454798590614.jpg
67 KB, 500x342
>>54964366
I wish you were a girl and you I would be you're neighbour. You are also older than me in your mid 20s. You are genuinely intrested in getting Linux to run on your computer, and you know that talking to me is like I'm the consultant and I'm there to get the job done, and you want to get the job done, we just both want it and we're very serious about this.
As we talk about the details we never glance at each other, no tension. It is two people trying to solve a problem. Sometimes your pensive and just look at the blank screen as it failed to boot up deeply in thoughts. I know the next step but i withhold it, i want you to give me your idea, what you want to do next. Then together we look and see how we'd go about realising it.

The morning dew melts and the meadows fresh
fertile scent and chilly weather hints at the coming spring.

on topic: ubuntu live cd, or pendrive

or try the arch installation, you will learn a bunch of stuff and when arch finally works you have taken a big bite of the linux experience cake. ALL YOU NEED IS ON THIS ON PAGE: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/beginners'_guide

at the time you reach the bottom of it, the winner is you!
>>
>>54964531
If you'd Google his question you'd get tons of forums with people asking the exact same- answers included. Hell- /g/ has a topic about this question every single day.
Google gives results, but if you actually click the links instead of looking at the titles, it will give you advise as well
>>
>>54964531
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+lightweight+linux+distro+for+old+laptop
>>
>>54964677
I just don't understand why people are keep suggesting arch linux to the beginners.
It'll be too hard for people who has 0 experience in linux.
You just can't expect someone to start using linux from the terminal&codes and shit.
>>
File: Reaper.png (60 KB, 488x519) Image search: [Google]
Reaper.png
60 KB, 488x519
>>54964677
Hey Kid! Want some free software?
>>
File: 1461538513935.jpg (16 KB, 180x192) Image search: [Google]
1461538513935.jpg
16 KB, 180x192
>>54964677
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/beginners'_guide

I can vouch for this, i did two installation of arch using that page. I was really a beginner at linux and it worked for me. I believe hat just slightly above average computer knowledge when I tried this, and it worked well.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.