[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
new to server-land
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Hey /g/entleman, I would greatly appreciate if you guys could give me some pointers, I recently picked up to X200 and re-purposed them as home servers. I want to learn more about linux and try new things. could you guys either point me to a guide, or give me some suggestions on what I can put on these to get more familiar with linux,
Specs are Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM and 1TB hard drive.
Picture related my "rack" I know its novice / ghetto. I just want to learn stuff.

Thanks
>>
any useful applications, anything that would challenge me. I know command line fairly well, but I want to get into systems and tasks.

Thanks
>>
we have a sticky.
>>
What are you actually using the servers for?

Also, please don't talk about "learning Linux" when you have no intention of doing anything kernel-related.
>>
>>54963191
Did you buy thinkpads? And you're using them as servers? X200?

Jesus you can buy 250 dollar power edges with 2 CPUs
>>
>>54963191
Don't give them retarded names, it'll come back to bite you.
>>
>>54963312
What sort of naming convention would you recommend?
>>
Get a pdf of The Linux Bible. Read the entire thing. Go from there.

There is no easiest way to learn something. There is only the fastest way and the fastest way is to start now and continue until you finish.
>>
>>54963408
>>54963312
>not naming your computers after the hookers you've banged

Tfw Hollie
Tfw Amy
Tfw John
>>
>>54963408
I went with daedric princes. But then I ran out.
>>
>>54963408
I name them after what they do. It works fine for small/medium environments.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.