[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the Blu Ray drives failed on PC? At this rate there won't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7
Why did the Blu Ray drives failed on PC? At this rate there won't be any retail PC games left.
>>
>>54957558
Piracy stole all it's sales.
>>
>>54957558
Because they cost as much as a standalone blu-ray player and retards never thought to make one that only plays blu-rays rather than write/rewrite them.
>>
Downloading stuff is so much more convenient and anyone that wants to use physical copies of games plays on console anyways.
>>
>>54957558

Because you have to pay $100 a year to license blu-ray playing software to actually make use of your blu-ray drove. Not worth it.
>>
If you buy a fucking bluray player for your computer & try to play a bluray youre fucked up cause you then need to buy a software that can actually play it. You pay twice.
And not every tard has a playstation/xbox to play that shit.
If industry cant make a good offer, people will make their own ones. Called piracy.
>>
cause peoples monitors are small and low res, and physical media sucks
>>
>>54957665
There are plenty of drives that can just read Blu-rays.

They're about $45~$50 vs $55-60 for burners.
>>
>>54957790
Where do I find these because I've never even seen them.
>>
>>54957771

I thought programs like Media Player Classic could play Blurays?
>>
>>54957558
Internet connections got so fast that you don't really need discs to distribute programs anymore.

>there won't be any retail PC games left
you can thank Steam for that
>>
>>54957799
Not sure if I tested it.
A year ago I built myself a computer for my living room, with a bluray burner.
Windows + every free software player I found wasnt able to play Game of Thrones Bluray at all. Crack for PowerDVD didnt wanted to work. Sent back the Bluray & bought it online.
First time I bought some kind of movie/tv show, just cause its GoT.
But really, fuck off Bluray.
Bluray MDisc is cool for data backup, but thats it.
>>
>>54957968
Might as well buy a used PS3, as a bonus it plays VIDYA.
>>
because optical media on the PC has pretty much stalled beyond the DVD.

There was a real need for DVD because at one point games came on 4+ CDs.
While games are becoming larger these, games are just preloaded/bought online these days.
Even if the game doesnt fit on a DVD, the installer will just downloading the missing pieces.

Pysical media is dying that is all.
>>
>>54957786
Blu rays are 1080p fool.
>>
>>54957558
Every single legitimate BD playing software is utter shit.
>>
>>54957799
They only can if they are unprotected and unencrypted (a tiny, tiny percentage of discs), or you have an application doing on the fly protection bypass and/or decryption.
>>
>>54957995
Never. Not gonna let me tool by this fucktard industrie.
Sure, I could, and would be the cheapeast way probably, but I wont buy/use that shit.
They fucked up, and they should go and fuck themselves with their shitty bluray.
If I REALLY like a movie/tv show, I buy it online + leech it as 1080p mkv, just for my conscience. But before I buy it, I will still gonna leech and watch it, cause I cant return it if its shit. And usually it is shit.
>>
>>54958066
fool* fuck keyboard.
>>
>>54958049

So I'd have to buy specific software? How much could that cost? $10 or something?

Would that software enforce region rules as with DVD's? That would be the biggest pain for me, being Australian.
>>
>>54958081
Depends on which software. If I would buy one, it would be PowerDVD, only one thats not full retarded. From 35-100€.
>>
>>54957695
>Because you have to pay $100 a year

That's literally wrong. I bought PowerDVD 12 I forgot how much it cost now but it was under $100. I've never payed a single cent after that initial purchase and have never had a Blu-ray not work.
>>
>>54958081
Honestly, either just use makemkv or get cracked dvdfab and rip the BDs.
>>
>>54957790
and hdd is identical price than than bd trash.

>>54958081
no gpu must be supported too, almost every bluray drive have include free software like cyberlink mediasuite/cyberlink power dvd.
>>
Internet speeds.
>>
>>54958120
yeah, I dont remember either that you have to renew your license.
Still, a bluray drive for 50-60€ + license for 50-60€ just to watch something I can stream or download for free? Retarded shit. And how long does the bluray works (same with dvds), 5 years if u treat them well? Then your bluray disc is fucked up cause it'll break during the time.
>>
Because Bluray use a shitty, shitty DRM and licensing model. Use Wangblows or Mac? Download extra software that is closed source and comes from the company that put rootkits on audio CDs in the past. Use Linux? You're SOL unless you rip the disc first bypassing the shitty copy protection which is illegal even for personal use / backups. It's pants-on-head retarded. Either download your stuff, get a box of DVDs, get your stuff from someone that can into compression or simply live without the content and be happy that we're not still using floppy discs and tape.
>>
>>54957558
Literally because the industry made sure that the bluray standard is so drenched with restrictions that nobody even bothers with it. Only clueless idiots and enthusiasts buy films on discs these days. Bluray could have been nice, but they went the retarded path and created something unbearable. If blurays would simply contain a single file title.mp4 that contains all video, audio and subtitle streams and that's it, I probably would have bought quite a few. But blurays are a clusterfuck of stupid warnings, threats, confusing menus, useless extras nobody wants or needs, trailers etc, so that makes kat infinitely more convenient than fucking blurays.
>>
>>54958137
Point of free license included: Where? Living in germany, if you're lucky you get a 30-90 day test version of it. Not a full one, never saw that with a bluray drive. And i've seen a lot of them.
>>
>>54958153

How the fuck are you breaking dvds? I've got 10+ year old ones that work just fine still.
>>
>>54958199
No clue. Some old dvds are working, some dont. No scratches or something, but still cant play them anymore.
But doesnt matter, got them all as mkv or mp4 on my hdd, so who cares. Bought them once, my conscience is fine with this.
>>
>>54958164
>useless extras nobody wants
>>
>>54958164
>kat infinitely more convenient than fucking blurays.
<Implying everyone has a stable 30+Mbps connection to stream/download BD-quality video.

I'm pretty sure you're the guy who says there's no problem with YIFY rips and they look great.
>>
>>54958614
x264.me and awesomehd private encodes bruh
>>
>>54958614
But there is literally NOTHING wrong with YIFY rips. Guy was a fucking hero desu senpai. You'd need to pixel peep a still shot side by side comparison just to even begin to see a difference from YIFY to another rip 10x the size. In practical applications YIFY is perfect.
>>
File: 5378085024.png (32 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
5378085024.png
32 KB, 300x135
>>54958614
>implying there are torrents that go faster than 20mbyte/sec
>>
>>54958788
They look blurry even on a 32" HDTV. Even upscaled 480p rips look better.
Torrent sites should keep YIFY releases at the bottom of their lists to benefit quality releases.
>>
>>54958788
That's true if you're watching it on a phone. Even on a very small laptop/"netbook" (do those still exist?), it might be acceptable. But if you're watching on an actual TV- or even a decent-sized computer monitor- YIFY rips were worthless.
>>
>>54958803
>mbyte/s
>>>/out/
>>
Netflix
>>
>>54958818
i really hate that YIFY stuff is so well seeded, sometimes I don't have the luxury to wait to download some proper rip and end up getting YIFY in a few minutes
>>
A combination of DVDs being easier to decrypt and easy downloading on the web. I've never bought a bluray or reader when the DVD can be played way easier on Linux and I don't have to use any proprieary software.
>>
File: question everything.jpg (66 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
question everything.jpg
66 KB, 500x377
>>54957695
>>54958120
>>54958153
>people actually buy software

why not free versions or download from either torrent or any site like MEGA?

is this summer? normies? what
>>
>>54957796
http://www.microcenter.com/product/428804/WH16NS40_16x_Internal_Blu-Ray_Rewriter
I believe this is the one I have. I only use it for ripping Blu-Ray movies because writable media is so fucking expensive though.
>>
>>54958875
There is free as in freedom software already that can play DVDs and Bluray. You might have to struggle with bluray playback I think, and that's because of DRM.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 640x352
Whats some cool tech to impress grills with fämälämäzoids
>>
Not all of us have BR drives for BR movies, some of us wanted higher capacity media.
>>
>>54958877

www.amazon.com/Optical-Quantum-OQBDR06LT-50-Blu-Ray-Recordable/dp/B009KXE4VO

50 pack of Blu-ray 25GB discs for $25 at Amazon (CMC Magnetics media, decent quality) is about the best I've been able to find it, roughly 58 cents a disc, haven't had any bad burns yet (out of maybe 115) and I use a Panasonic UJ240 laptop burner.

Works for me.
>>
>>54958942

Ack, make that $28.55, of course the price changes based on stock and demand, typical Amazon bullshit. I bought 4 cakeboxes last month at $24.95 each, same product, free shipping.
>>
>>54958875
People buy software if they're gonna do serious work with them(e.g. CAD/Architecture, DTP, Video editing, etc.)
>>
>>54957695
Or you could use MakeMKV and google which sequence to rip.
>>
>>54958982
Or if they enjoy security.
>>
>>54958614
I happen to have a 50 Mbps connection, which is by no means spectacular, but it's good enough. I usually try to avoid YIFY encodes, but honestly, when really nothing else is available and the movie I'm watching is not some fast paced action movie, the quality is pretty okay. Nothing great of course, but more than watchable. The quality I usually pick largely depends on what I expect of the movie too. When I know it's trash or some upsampled shitty bluray release, I don't even bother with a remux.
>>
DUDE STREAM MOVIES LMAO

Yeah nice bitrate streamer faggots.
>>
>>54957558
i have a bluray drive. i use it to RIP movies/tv shows when i can't find a good torrent.
werks just fine
>>
>>54958926
vr
>>
I want to buy a BD burner to archive all my animu because having 2 3tb WDs is both very costly and makes me fucking paranoid since one is already failing after 2 years.
Is it a good idea?
>>
>>54959427
You will need more than 120 BR discs just to take the place of one of those drives.

Maybe if is time to rethink your choices instead of hoarding anime.
>>
>>54958982
But jew-ray player? Seriously?
>>
>>54959457
>Maybe if is time to rethink your choices instead of hoarding anime.
Make me
>>
File: t8-kOjOD_DY.jpg (209 KB, 1280x906) Image search: [Google]
t8-kOjOD_DY.jpg
209 KB, 1280x906
dvd is just fine
They just put a steam code on them anyways instead of the actual game
>>
>>54958875
Not everyone is a thieving nigger such as yourself, Jamal.
>>
>>54957558
I bought a BD-R thinking I might need to burn disks for pirated PS3 games. Ended up just getting a ODE instead and running everything off a hard drive, so that never happened.

I haven't even bothered pirating software to play Bluray on my PC because the PS3 is hooked up to the TV right next to it.

Blank media that can store 25GB? I mean, OK. I've still got a ten pack. I've also got a USB drive that can store 128GB. It cost me $10. And it's reusable. And the other dude doesn't have to have a bluray drive. So that was useless.

The only thing I use it for is Bluray rips, with a pirated copy of DVDFab. Which I leave raw, because the fuck I care... 5TB storage drives are $100.
>>
>>54959427
>having 2 3tb WDs is both very costly

I've seen 3TB externals for $40 at Walmart. You need to stop smoking and save that money to buy some drives. Just not Seagate drives. Their 3TB have massive fail rates.
>>
>>54960083
I had the Seagate USB-to-sata+power thing die on me with a Seagate drive
>>
>>54959427
>>54960083
>>54960099
I currently use one 3TB WD Red drive and an external enclosure as my backup drive. I went that route so I can reuse the Red as a NAS drive if I ever set up one of those.

Having said that,
>$40
My single WD Red 3TB was £90 == $130...
>>
>>54959427
How do you know it's failing?
>>
>>54959427
Just buy a new driver christ.
>>
>>54958120
My blu-ray drive came with a copy of PowerDVD 10. On trying to watch a movie last night, it told me that that movie wouldn't play without updating my software. I figure it's just a security/content protection update so I click their ok button, and it takes me to a page to buy PowerDVD 15 for $35. Fuck them. I used MakeMKV instead.
>>
>>54957558
they re noisy as hell. I'd like to listen to the movie not the disk spinning around in the drive!
>>
File: vlc boo ray.png (74 KB, 835x504) Image search: [Google]
vlc boo ray.png
74 KB, 835x504
>>54957695
>not just playing them with VLC
; )
>>
>>54962726
This is in no way 100% guranteed to work easily as the keys can change with each new release and you have to keep fighting to try and just play your disc using free software.

Case in point: look at the keydb.cfg and the keys were copied from the doom9 forums.
>>
>>54962824
Forgot to add that dvds don't have this problem and that's why I keep buying them until suitable free software comes out that can break the encryption 100%
>>
Cause we can just digital download now.
Cause laptops ditched disk drives for simplicity and thinness.
>>
>>54962726

Having to jump through fucking hoops with VLC the same way every other media player does to play Blu-ray does not make VLC any fucking better, you moron.

It doesn't play them by default hence it's no better than any other that can't either.

Adding/installing/extending shit that the native app requires to be able to do a given task means it sucks like most everything else.
>>
>>54962726
why can't they just bundle the database file into the source and binary packages to be used by the player for decryption?
>>
>>54963094
>Why can't they paint a giant target on their backs for Sony?
>>
>>54957771
>you then need to buy a software that can actually play it.
Half true. You can still rip 99% of discs with MakeMKV and encode them. MakeMKV isn't free (beer or freedom) software though, but it's easy to get around its shareware limits.
>>
>>54963296
This. It's how I (>>54962238) got around CyberLink being jews of the highest caliber.
>>
>>54957558
retail copies of games are so half-assed now it's hardly worth buying them unless you pay out the ass for some pretentious "collectors edition"
>>
>>54963384
If the game doesn't come on a disc I'm not buying it.
>>
Any singular piece of media worth giving a shit about fits on a single DVD.
>>
The drives are still too expensive. Not worth it.
>>
>>54957670
or are autistic dumb people.
>>
>>54965567
>not wanting to pay money for intangible content makes you autistic
>>
File: 0007.gif (24 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0007.gif
24 KB, 128x128
>>54964880
Word.
>>
>>54957695
not just downloading the trial version and installing it in a sandbox so that you can use the trial version forever.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.