[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not going blind with 5K
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 5k.jpg (191 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
5k.jpg
191 KB, 1280x720
What the hell's the point of 1440p/4K/5K resolutions if you can't even read anything on it?

I'm a programmer, and decided to buy a 1440p monitor, and a laptop with a 1440p screen as well to get dem productivity gains. It's true that over, say, 1080p, there's an appreciable amount of more space to work with, and in that regard the upgrade has been worth it.

But jeez, I am going blind with these things. Text and UI for everything I use is stupidly tiny, and if a given application (terminal, IDE, browser, etc.) actually supports UI-scaling, it's usually implemented either badly where shit is misaligned and cut-off, or becomes a blurry mess with no space to work with. Same goes with OS-level scaling (I have to use both Windows + MacOS for my work).

In the end, in order to make things readable -- either by turning down the resolution or having an app that does scaling properly -- the amount of space I'm actually able to see sanely and work with is basically negates any benefits of running at a high resolution in the first place.

For vidya games or hentai, or some other time-wasting activity, high resolution makes a big difference, and I welcome it. But for development work I can't see the benefits.

I should've just spent my money on more monitors.
>>
>>54952622
>a laptop with a 1440p screen
Higher resolution is less useful on screens that are much smaller. You would change your tune if you were working on a 23" 1080p screen, then changed to a 25" 1440p screen.
>>
>>54952639
Good point about resolution anon.

But my main workstation uses a 27" monitor @ 1440p. It's definitely easier to work with than on my laptop, but it's still really frustrating to use due to the scaling stuff I mentioned in the OP. And I used to use a superjumbohugewhysowide monitor before, but it was just too big. 27" seems to be the sweet spot though.

Have any fellow developers (read as: people who read text and documentation all day long) managed to be happy with a >=1440p / >=4K setup?
>>
>>54952622
>monitor
That's where you fucked up.

Should've gotten a 70" HDTV dumbass.
>>
>>54952622
Your eyes are much more comfortable reading clear text, so you can be productive longer without feeling fatigued.
>>
>>54953032
Dumb question, but what do you mean by clear text?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.