[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to write boring code
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: pg44-boredom-getty.jpg (1 MB, 2096x1536) Image search: [Google]
pg44-boredom-getty.jpg
1 MB, 2096x1536
Anon, how do you make myself write code that is boring? i.e. business logic
I can't hold a job because although I like to code, I hate doing boring routine coding which I've done trillions times before.
>>
>>54948569
>which I've done trillions times before
Why are you writing the same code over and over?
>>
>>54948645
You know what I meant, it's doing the same task or similar tasks over and over again.
>>
Put the fun back in with fun-maintainable code.
It adds a level of excitement you never would have thought you could achieve.

Watch junior devs struggle for hours swearing at your shit and inevitably creating bugs!
(though they tend to do that anyway...)

Not the original, but preserved here for posterity.
https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code
>>
>>54948569
>learn lisp
>write macros that generate code in your preferred work language
>bask in your newfound smug lisp weenie glory
>>
>>54948694
I really don't, Anon. I've written lots of business logic in my time, but I haven't had the problem of writing the same or similar things over and over.

I've worked on codebases where that's happened though, including one that re-implemented vector insertion on every single insertion.

The problem there was obviously not that you had to do the same thing over, but that the code wasn't written in a general, modular and reusable way to avoid it.

I had to go over and delete these 300 implementations across the codebase, which was very repetitive, but that was a failure of the last dev and not inherent to the problem.
>>
>>54948884
i was going to respond something along these lines

Write code that writes code for you. It's all text so you really don't need lisp for this, do it in your language.
Make a template and fill in the spots. Even make a script to do conditional writing of parts of your code and pass it parameters to choose what to write. Et cetera.
Automate. It's fun
>>
>>54950094
>It's all text so you really don't need lisp for this
speaking of whch
>do it in your language.
try to do in in and to produce lisp
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.