[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was your first programming language? When did you learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: C.png (4 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
C.png
4 KB, 218x231
What was your first programming language?
When did you learn it?
Where did you learn it? (School, home, etc)
>>
C, 2011, home
>>
machine code
when i built the machine
in my smithy
>>
>>54946956
Underage?
>>
>>54946934
Java
School
>>
>>54946956
me too
>>
>>54946934
C, 1995, from a book at home
>>
>>54946972
Second career
>>
>>54946934
Java
Started in 2010
College
>>
>>54946934
actionscript
home
>>
Basic Omikron, I was 7 years old. That was the old time.
>>
C
Univeristy
>>
>>54946934
Java
Just started today
At home (career change hopefully)
>>
>54946934
>54946934
Fairly sure it was PHP. Can't remember when.
>>
>>54946934
fortran
between 1983-1985, can't remember the year lol
university/work
>>
>>54946934
My first experience with coding was learning C with a dude showing me basic logic. That was pretty brief. Then I learned python through an intro class over a high school summer. After that I went to work with Java (not really learn it), learn C++>C>Javascript, currently learning lisp
>>
Fortran. 1960, at my old work's lab.
>>
I picked up java in high school but didn't actually learn how to really code until I started coding in scheme in college
>>
MATLAB -> C++ -> C
>>
>>54946934
Visual Basic, 2011, high school.
>>
PHP/HTML -> C -> C++ -> Python - > C#

In that order of learning.
>>
"learned" C++
5th grade or so
taught myself from a tutorial i printed out online

didn't use it again until almost 20 years later
>>
>>54946934
Pascal
Home

Followed by C a few years later.
>>
Python
Home
>>
>>54946934
Pascal
Home

Unless you count the programming languages that were in casio and texas instruments calculators in 1995, whatever they're called.
>>
>>54946934
>qbasic
>11 years old
>a book and old school computers.
>>
Using DOS counts?
If not, then Pascal in highschool
>>
>>54951739
Exactly the same here, anon. Age 11, I whined at my father to teach me until he gave me a qbasic book.

We nibbles.bas now.
>>
>>54952041
wow.
which was your second language ?
mine was C.
>>
>>54952295
Good question. I think it was visual basic, but memory is murky that far back. Definitely not C, I didn't learn that until a few years later. I may have played around with html before visual basic, because MAKING WEBSITES OMG.
>>
>>54950613
This is common for CE majors. Well, here in Texas anyways. You almost always start with MATLAB, and then it's either Python or C++. Java or C follows.
>>
My first language that I was comfortable with was Quick Basic. I wanted to get into C at first but it was too difficult for me at that time.
>>
>>54946934
>java
>when I learned my job as a sysadmin dude
>programming was part of it
>used quite a few scripting languages at work then
>>
Java
School

Very recently my uni changed it so CS majors would be taught C first. I feel like being introduced to pointers and memory management headfirst is just asking for a clusterfuck
>>
Turing - 2006 grade 10
C - 2011 1st year uni
VBA - 2012-2016
MATLAB - 2015 - 2016
>>
>>54952514
>I feel like being introduced to pointers and memory management headfirst is just asking for a clusterfuck
fucking this.
But it's not really the docents fault imo. It's because people are lazy as fuck.
Still learning java first was kind of a big profit for me
>>
>qbasic
>2008
>high school

Honestly thought it was a pretty good (as in fun) language with a cute little debugging environment, but as first languages go, I direct everyone to python. At least with python you can be useful after you get over the hurdle of being new. qbasic is never useful.
>>
>>54952514
Honestly, pointers are one of those things that can weed out the people who aren't cut out for it. Plus it's always better to expose them instead of hiding them behind a magic curtain like my Java-centric curriculum did. I instantly new the difference between using a reference vs. a primitive in Java when I got pointers down.
>>
I wanted to learn C++ in middle school so I could make games, then I wanted to learn Java as a high school freshman so I could make/fix plugins for my friend's Minecraft server.
I used some basic programming concepts to make Java simulations in Physics C this year (though much more than my teacher actually intended) and am looking to teach myself C. Does anyone know what would be good resource with which to do so? The books on installgentoo seem to be more geared to manuals of the C language, and what I really need to learn is programming itself.
>>
>>54946934
I started with Objective C, but didn't grasped a shit since I mostly followed tutorials, then moved to php to make simple webpages, but everything seemed like a "black magic box" where everythin worked but didn't knew why nor how. That's why I picked C like four years ago.
Home bwt.
>>
>Visual Basic .NET
>2013
>Home and School
>>
>>54952551

How much Java would you have to know to be employable? Been trying to teach myself programming so I can get a better deal than gas-station attendant. Just finished basic data structures last week
>>
>>54952634
I don't know.
I didn't need it at all. It was just part of the currirculum.
Didn't matter if you learned programming or sysadmin for 3 year. Everyone had to learn java.
Only that those programmers were going more in-depth
>>
>Javascript
>2007
>Home
>>
I started with C++ at the behest of internet know-it-alls using Internet tutorials when I was 14, instantly understood boolean algebra and loops, logic, whatever, and then didn't get anywhere further than a console number guessing game, because it's silly to get new programmers to start with C++. I started uni with Python and was way happier. By the semester end we were making graphical games and by the end of the next one we had classes and inheritance down. The next year I went back to C++ and was actually able to learn the point of it. Multiple inheritance and operator overloading and pointers and shit. Maybe it's just me, and that I need structure to guide my learning, but I can't imagine how long it would've taken learning c++ on my own to get where I am now. I get that it's possible to learn everything with c++, but the process of starting with Python, then maybe stepping to Java before the rest of the world seems to me like it would be far more useful for more people.
That is, I fooled around with C++ but I wish I'd started with Python.
>>
>>54952514
seriously, pointers arent even that hard
>>
File: fuck.png (892 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
892 KB, 1024x768
>ctrl+f "2015" and "2016" as first year's learning
>0 results
I'm never going to make it, am I?
Fucking HTML.
>>
>>54946934
pascal
highschool
>>
>>54953320
They teach Pascal in high school still?

What fucking high school did you go to?
>>
JASS
Warcraft 3
>>
>>54951739
>>54952041
holy shit me too
>>
>>54946934
Qbasic, 1992, home
>>
>>54952041
>we nibbles.bas
right in the feels
>>
>>54946934
I belevie it was Pascal
Highschool

It was the first, but the one I learned truly was C one year later.
>>
>>54946934
Visual Basic
Home

I wonder how I found some options in Office, then I played with them. I was a curious kid. Then I learned C one year after.
>>
8086 , 1996. Private school with advance IT and Math . 8h a week of it and 6h of math.
>>
>>54946934
>What was your first programming language?
QuickBASIC

>When did you learn it?
1994-1995, don't remember exactly.

>Where did you learn it? (School, home, etc)
My father showed QBasic to me and taught me how to press F1 to get the quick guide and stuff.

>>54954123
>>54954134
>>54954108
>>54952041
>>54951739

Mah niggers
>>
Lua, a couple years ago, at home
>>
Python, 2012, home
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.