[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone redpill me on thinkpads?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12
File: headphoneissues.jpg (160 KB, 944x756) Image search: [Google]
headphoneissues.jpg
160 KB, 944x756
There seems to be a cult of thinkpads around here where it's impossible to get the right information. I was looking to buying a new one (I hate buying anything used) and whenever I think one is suitable for me I look around and find they have some issues. I was looking to buy the x1 carbon but I read it has headphone issues, screen flickering and other stuff. Is everyone a poorfag and just buys used thinkpads?. I have a lenovo Y580 and it's the worst laptop I have ever owned ( I know it's an ideapad but still).
>>
File: 1465245322502.webm (28 KB, 944x756) Image search: [Google]
1465245322502.webm
28 KB, 944x756
>>54946692
>>
bait
>>
>>54946692
>poorfag and just buys used thinkpads?
The averrage /g/entoo men thinks that old thinkpads look way better than newer laptops.
Is a matter of personal tastes.
Also INTEL ME.
You can't get rid of intel ME on the new intel CPUs so getting anything newer than a Core2Duo is a NO-NO if you value your freedom.
Also I will never trust lenovo after all that malware shit.
>>
wtf is this webm? I can't seem to play it yet it lasts 2 seconds
>>54946705
>>
>>54946692
I just bought two actually, t420 for my qt3.14 and x220 for me.

Because I am a poorfag, and for about $150 you couldn't buy a laptop of similar or better specs new.

As far as looks, who cares, it's a tool not a fashion accessory. If you can live with the specs and don't have much money go for it.
>>
>>54946692
>>>/https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad//
>>
The reason people buy used thinkpads is because they are the optimal ratio of price to performance and lifespan. They are also very serviceable and have good linux support.

They get bought by companies at bulk prices from IBM/Lenovo and are then sold a few years later in bulk for extremely low prices. So on ebay you find laptops that were $3000 a few years ago for 200-400$

Even better is if you go back to the "end of modern usability" era, where you have T42's, R52's and T60/61's. Which are sub 100$ and can still be used as very effective shitposting machines to this day.

Dont buy new thinkpads, theyre extremely expensive and you'd be better off with something like a T420
>>
>>54947627
Are there any good for gaming?
>>
>>54947676
depends what you buy
workstation thinkpads have decent graphics cards in them and can handle AAA tiles pretty well
the t420 had a variant with a nvidia 4200m which can handle some modern games pretty well
>>
>>54947676
>gaming
Seriously get a desktop.
>>
>>54947676
Get the fuck out
>>
>>54946692
I have a T460p

The X1 isn't a real Thinkpad, it's a toy for millennials.
>>
>>54947445
look at the filesize newfriend
>>
>>54946692
relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEZMNXz1JY
>>
>>54947445
Some /g/uy with extreme autism makes those.

He thinks converting jpeg's to 2 second webm's will cure his aspergers.
>>
>>54947870
>relevant

Not for the past 2 years.
>>
>>54946705
REALLY?
Is this now happening on EVERY THREAD?
> op pots picture (non webm)
> first reply is static webm (2 to 4 seconds long)
> FUCK THIS MEME, REDDIT WON'T LEAVE THIS WAY
> AND IT'S ANNOYING FOR NON NORMIES TOO!
>>
>>54947676
Well first:
GAMING ON A LAPTOP, ARE YOU KIDDING ME, REALLY .. REEEEEEEEEEEEEe >>>/v/

ok now that that's clear:
you can use an eGPU if you don't have a desktop with the t420 and.
>>
>>54947676
They're good for programming.
>>
>>54946692
stay le blue pilled XD
>>
>>54946692
Thinkpads are popular because all but the carbon models have steel roll cages, plus the excellent Linux support, and yes, a large factor is that used, they are quite cheap, due to businesses surplussing them - I bought a laptop in 2012 worth $900. Nowadays, it goes for about 300. I bought an x220, identical specs in all but screen size, for $100, sans drive (rectified with a $30 msata)
>>
>>54947717
this is my baby right here.
>>
>>54947809
not sure about the carbons and afterward, but the first two generations, x1 and x1 hybrid, are damned good thinkpads. you know what aren't actual thinkpads? the e or edge series.
>>
X1 Carbon is the best laptop I've ever owned. Older Thinkpads are memes, don't fall for it.
>>
>>54946692
Lenovo ThinkPads as they are now are not worth buying new. There are better offerings from Dell and the like. ThinkPads on /g/ are coasting on pre-*20 quality and the fact that they're a great value used.
>>
>>54947890
I thought he was just trolling macfags.
>>
>>54946692
They are literally made of recycled Chinese plastic.
>>
Why use a Thinkpad?
>>
>>54947717
>>54947676
Thinkpads are designed for mobility so the thermals aren't that great, although it won't throttle as bad as some modern mainstream laptops. The 4200M NVS graphics chip is a POS, as it is designed to mirror screens to external monitors, but if you can downres it's not a problem. The workstations with the Quadro 2000M/1000M perform pretty favorably for last gen games, although you probably can't expect high quality. They are designed primarily for on-the-fly CAD, but were on the Fermi architecture so it also guzzles power. Regardless, the models you'll find online won't be that cost-effective for gaming. It is possible to use an eGPU like >>54949368
described, but you're working on mPCIe x1 bandwidth.

I personally own a X220 and the durability is pretty good, despite being preowned and 3 years of poor care from myself. Older TPs have a different keyboard that feels, IMO, better, as it has more travel and bottoms out better than the chiclet ones. The trade-off is thickness and weight. Overall, Linux support is pretty good, but the the volume/mute/mic LEDs don't work out of the box and neither does the Ricoh card reader, but I just compiled my own modules and it worked fine. Trackpad is probably one of the best things on this laptop and I actually think they are competitive with MacBook touchpads. Performance varies by model but every Thinkpad will throttle if you do compilation or anything continuously stressful. Resolution is 1366x768 but IPS. i3 models don't have a USB3.0 port. One of the best things about it is the presence of an open mPCIe port for eGPUs or in my case, an mSATA SSD. Some are configured with a webcam/mic, others aren't, but you can purchase one to hook up for like 5 bucks. For $200 bucks or less on an i5 or better model it's a absolute steal though, regardless.
>>
File: 20111124011544.png (575 KB, 1402x1052) Image search: [Google]
20111124011544.png
575 KB, 1402x1052
>>54946692
>redpill
>>
File: shamu.jpg (484 KB, 1600x776) Image search: [Google]
shamu.jpg
484 KB, 1600x776
>>54952241
>plastic
>>
File: who does this remind you of.jpg (104 KB, 1059x546) Image search: [Google]
who does this remind you of.jpg
104 KB, 1059x546
>>54946692
>redpill me guis XD
>>
>>54953262
kek

Not OP but /g/ are true lefties that dislike SJW and LGBT propaganda
>>
If you're being used buy a thinkpad
If you're being new, don't bother
>>
File: alt-right.jpg (89 KB, 960x695) Image search: [Google]
alt-right.jpg
89 KB, 960x695
>>54953306
>are true lefties that dislike SJW and LGBT propaganda

>Wow I like being an edgelord and rooting for Stalin, XD I'm a real lefty all those people talking about gay rights and overtrunning hierarchy, pssshhh, what do they know about left-wing stuff.
>muh "regressive left"
>>
>>54954249
All politics are shit desu

It's just a mind control for the population and to fight themselves for fun
And not it's not the jews
>>
>>54946692
The Thinkpad cult on /g/ rejects the false thinkpads newer than the x220/t420/t520 series (or _30 series if the keyboard is swapped with the _20 series one)
>>
File: KFlAOmE.jpg (24 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
KFlAOmE.jpg
24 KB, 333x333
>>54954276
>all politics are bad
>I'm not taking sides so no one will see how my arguments are shit
>>
>>54946692
>I hate buying anything used
But the old cumstains increase the value.
>>
>"Redpill me"
Fuck off.
>>
>>54954333
check'd
also that is basically true idk why you greentext that shit dumbass. politics are meant to divide people so they are voiceless against their government. same shit as religion
join a gang
>>
>>54954556
>(((Anonymous)))
>>
>>54947676
>Are there any good for gaming?
not really. the ones with Quadro GPUs are passable, meaning you can run 2012-2013 games at 720p+ at low-med settings at 30fps+, but that's probably it.
I still manage to play vidya on my X230, nothing super demanding though (it runs Source-based games really well, also non-heavy stuff like XCOM with no problems), UT3-based games run kinda eh.
>>
>>54954333
Partisanship is legitimately stupid. Focusing more on your party or if something is left or right instead of focusing on issues is the worst. Divide and conquer my friend, that is why the US has two fringe extremes and a minority of rational people trapped between them.
>>
File: thinkpad+t410+09.jpg (181 KB, 1024x817) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad+t410+09.jpg
181 KB, 1024x817
ThinkPad Advantage

>deflated price for used models
>no planned obsolescence, 4yr old models work fine
>simple design, next to no ugly monikers and hardware kinks
>you can replace the whole fucking screen in 10mins with a screwdriver
>superior linux and BSD support
>wide variety of sizes and configs
>>
>>54956191
>deflated price for used models
acer
>no planned obsolescence, 4 yr old models work fine
acer
>simple design, next to no ugly monikers and hardware kinks
acer
>you can replace whole fucking screen in 10 mins with a screwdriver
acer
>superior linux and bsd support
acer
>wide variety of sizes and configs
acer
>chinese backdoors and spyware
not acer

Lenovofags are worse than macfags.
>>
>>54956771
You forgot
>Can buy a used one in great condition for £200
Ac....

Oh wait.
>>
The displays look like shit.
>>
>>54956771
maximum autism
>>
File: IMG_2703.jpg (18 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2703.jpg
18 KB, 384x216
>>54956771
Lenovo>Dell>Apple>HP>Dogshit>Acer
>>
>>54957918
Dogshit>>>>>Shooting yourself in the foot>>>>>Acer
ftfy
>>
>>54946692
New thinkpads are just yet another chink labtop
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (868 KB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
868 KB, 3200x1800
>>54957550
>being so deluded
>being so lost in memes and torn apart from reality
>>
>>54956771
>superior linux and bsd support
>acer
Pick one

I literally have to stay on Debian Wheezy because my Acer shittop's integrated GPU wouldn't support any other distro's drivers. Compiling them and attempting to make them work with anything newer is dependency sheol.
>>
>>54959369
>dont buy one of the hunderds of acer laptops that come preloaded with linux
>buy one thats supported for windows instead
>complain when linux support is insufficent
Are you retarded?
>>
>>54959492
I didn't buy the laptop in the first place, it was a gift. And I'm not the one generalizing that Acer as a brand has "superior linux and bsd support". Go suck cock somewhere else.
>>
File: fallacy.jpg (1 MB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
fallacy.jpg
1 MB, 3200x1800
>>54959518
You are saying that the manufacturer that ships the most linux systems on their laptops has bad linux support. You are saying that on a single personal experience. You are the one generalizing based on a single occurance. The problem in that case isnt even acer, it is the end user.
>>
>>54959693
>chromebooks
Honestly, If they made one with a proper goddamn keyboard and shipped a non-kneecapped OS they might be worth a damn.
>>
File: varg.jpg (51 KB, 454x500) Image search: [Google]
varg.jpg
51 KB, 454x500
>>54959693
Having preinstalled linux != good linux support
More like they were too cheap to opt for a windows licence.

>You are the one generalizing based on a single occurance. The problem in that case isnt even acer, it is the end user.
Holy shit, so it's MY fault they haven't had proper GPU support for Linux/BSD for years as opposed to Lenovo or Asus or any other decent laptop company! I am such a shitlord!
>>
I've fall for the Thinkpad meme buying a brand new X1 Carbon.

Received the laptop after one month and a half (it only took them a whole month to assemble the laptop) with a defunct screen. It's been more than a week and still have no answer when the screen going to be repaired because the screen model is in "back order."

Worst customer experience I ever had with a laptop, and I have tried a lot of different brands.
>>
>>54960023
You didn't fall for the thinkpad meme
>>
>>54947676
Not on their own, but if you connect an eGPU throughthe expressport then they're pretty good. My x220t with a 960 attached to it runs das3 great, for example.
>>
>>54959738
Literally none of those are chromebooks. They are in a different OS category on that website.

>>54959745
>expecting acer to provide gpu support for linux
They sell the laptop with windows and support that OS. If you would have bought the laptop that they sell with linux preinstalled, then you would have linux support. What youre doing is like buying a gasoline car and complaining that it doesnt run when you fill the tank with diesel.
>>
>>54960394
>They sell the laptop with windows and support that OS. If you would have bought the laptop that they sell with linux preinstalled, then you would have linux support. What youre doing is like buying a gasoline car and complaining that it doesnt run when you fill the tank with diesel.
My chinkpad does that though and so does every chinkpad I've seen.
>>
>>54960412
My acer does that too and so does every other acer that I've ever seen.
>>
>>54960440
You don't seem to have a lot of history with laptops.
>>
>>54946692

Here it is anon I own half a dozen think pads over the last 5 years or so.

The t520 and w520 are great used machines. Get them off ebay they have the best typing experience work with ssds easily. Youll often find them sold that way. And really there is no beating these machines. They do not have more then 3 or so hours of battery though. You could swap batteries if you really need to. With the slowing of hardware performance growth they are also very comparable to today's machines in terms of speed. You probably wont notice the difference. You can pay attention on ebay and get one with max hardware for like $3-400 perfect condition and these things are built to last.

I also have a new x260 with all the bells and whistles except for the mobile data. Which I might want to add later if its possible.

I hate this fucking thing its too small and the keyboard is clicky rather then the older islands. But its got like 14 hours battery life when I am doing terminal work like code scripts or sshing to shit to work on it. As I have been working as a dba I just have to use this fucking thing. Swaping batteries on the old ones would be shit and being tied to a plug in the wall would be a pain in the ass. With this laptop I can go all workday without worrying about power. That 14 hours is real life experience not some bullshit test.
>>
>>54960506

I should add that I run linux and windows on these laptops. My new x260 came I immediately popped in a linux live cd used gparted to shrink the windows partition to half the drive and setup a dual boot gnome/ubuntu partition. Everything works out of the box. I prefer to work in linux but sometimes you need to use software that absolutely has to use windows. Companies just have their own shit you have to use sometimes when you get into databases and whatever sql they feel like using.
>>
>>54960448
No, you don't seem to have a lot of history with laptops.
>>
>>54960576
>no u
>>
>>54960576

Your mother seems to have a lot of history with laptops.
>>
>>54946692

There's no reason to get a Thinkpad. You can just as well get any other business laptop like Dell Latitudes. It really doesn't matter. They are all well supported, easily serviceable, can have docking stations and have loads of spare parts available for little money.
Only downside is that they often have retardedly low resolutions.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.