[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MIDI Keyboard controllers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 2_142136-1000x665.jpg (62 KB, 960x638) Image search: [Google]
2_142136-1000x665.jpg
62 KB, 960x638
What are some cheap, small quality MIDI keyboard controllers?

I just kind of want to make music for video games and stuff. I looked into /mu/ wiki, but the links looked like they were from pre-widescreen internet, so it's probably outdated.

Here's basically my AFAIK on the topic:

You press a key on the keyboard, the pianoroll/whatever the music program uses registers it as a note. I have no clue what the knobs and sliders are for. Is a soundcard required?
>>
File: midi_controller.jpg (87 KB, 1500x885) Image search: [Google]
midi_controller.jpg
87 KB, 1500x885
go to /mu/ and look for the /prod/ threads.

Also you don't need a keyboard with a bunch of knobs and shit, you can do all that through the DAW you will be using

I would get something like this; a plain keyboard with the pitch bend and modulation wheels. The one you posted doesn't look too great desu, you can always buy a midi mixer and drum pad down the road if you like making music. You wouldn't be able to do anything more than simple melodies with a key board that size, and you won't be able to play with both hands (easily).

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-microKEY-61-Key-USB-Powered-Keyboard/dp/B007VQIICS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1465236905&sr=8-5&keywords=korg+midi+controller
>>
You don't want a 25 keys keyboard.
>>
>>54945206
Why not? Because of space or something else?
>>
>>54945244
Because you can't play a stupid octave! You'd better off with mouse and piano roll
>>
>>54945244
Get a nice alesis vi61 key. Used if you can find it at a used instrument place like guitar center. They have cheaper models with less keys if that's too much.
>>
File: akai.jpg (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
akai.jpg
160 KB, 1920x1080
>>54944749
I'm recommending pic related

Akai APC Key 25

It's only 80$, has lots of controls and works great with FL Studio and Ableton (I'm assuming you're going to use one of them)

I'm using a 61 key Roland synth as midi keyboard at home and pic related when I'm out of home with my laptop, so even if you're going to get an expensive one in the future you'll probably still find use for it.
>>
>>54944749
You only need one if you actually need the features. The only difference between a midi keyboard and a normal computer keyboard is that the midi one can tell how hard you pressed the switches.

If you don't need that one feature you can play the piano on your normal computer keyboard.
>>
>>54945645
>t. someone who literally has never produced anything of worth ever
>>
Is the MDK Mini 1st version still good to get for Logic Pro X?
>>
>>54944749
Try the Nektar Impact LX49 or 61.
>>
>>54945674
>t.SoundCloud """producer"""
>>
>>54945926
you literally have no authority over the matter if you're advocating producing with a computer keyboard
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.