[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Just upgraded to Win10 >I wasn't assaulted by indian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Windows-10-logo.jpg (42 KB, 645x484) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-logo.jpg
42 KB, 645x484
>Just upgraded to Win10
>I wasn't assaulted by indian telemarketers to enable all of the extra features when it booted up

What the fuck /g/??
>>
>>54941925
>computer forced me to upgrade to windows 10
ftfy
>>
>>54941925
>Taking anything /g/ says seriously
>>
>>54941925
Am on 10 right now,i ran windows spyware destroyer and it removed cortana/windows defender,i replaced it with another antivirus,hope it doesn't download meme updates at me and re enable spying
>>
Triggered freetards in 3...
>>
>>54942058
Congratulations, you just removed any ability to get fast ring builds, and the only way to get them again is to reinstall.
>>
>>54941925
>I wasn't asked to enable all of the extra features
doesn't know they're all enabled by default top kek
>>
>>54942080
As long as i get security updates i need i'm fine with it.
>>
>>54942073
>>
I was gonna chuck Windows 7 on my new laptop, but I'm rethinking it and considering 8.1 with Classic Shell. I've got 8.1 on my media PC and gayming desktop, and it was originally on the laptop I'm using now.

Thoughts?

> inb4 hurr Win10
Nah. I've got that on my laptop right now and I can't wait to be shot of it.
>>
There's stuff like the telemetry and app access to certain system things that is enabled by default, using a third party tool after the initial boot is advisable.

>>54942274
I think 8.1 and 10 are both improvements over 7, little bit more torn on 8.1 vs. 10. I like 10 but it's still got some teething issues and I don't like the forced updates thing (even though I can defer because I have windows 10 pro). What's your specific objection to win10?
>>
>>54942290
I don't like how it takes a lot of control away from the user. The whole "You can turn this off if you want, but don't worry, WE'LL turn it back on again soon" just rubs me the wrong way.

I dunno, it just doesn't seem like a massive improvement over 7 or 8.1. That, and I'm going to be putting a pirated version on my new laptop, and I already have 7 Ultimate and 8.1 whatever already downloaded and ready to install. Don't feel like downloading Win10 yet. Maybe in a while after they get the kinks sorted out - if they ever do.

I don't think they're going to go away from taking control away from the user, though. If anything, they're going to push it harder, and the average end user will eat it up.
>>
>>54942354
Eh, in regards to the piracy I'm pretty neutral. With DAZ or a hard-modded BIOS with SLIC activation, the upgrade to win10 will get you a permanent digital entitlement.

I don't like the options switching back on either, but that seems to be the new direction and all the shit like the diagtrack is getting backported anyways. I'd rather run a utility like Spybot antibeacon to block the hosts and preferences persistently anyways - whether they're switching options back on deliberately or by mistake it's easier to have a program persistently watch for it and switch it off for me.
>>
>>54942374
Hmn.

I don't particularly mind the look of one over the other. Might just run with 8.1 because it's newer but still maintains the functionality of 7. I don't really use any of the new features in 10, so I don't see the point.

Do m series graphics cards benefit from DX12?
>>
>>54942413
I have no idea and can't look it up without an exact model number.

DESU the difference between Windows 10 and 8.1 is not that huge as someone that had 8.1 on multiple devices. I did it for the longer support lifecycle and certain features.

On computers without a legitimate key for any version of Windows the most foolproof activation is Windows 7 with SLIC hardmodded into the BIOS, and then upgrade free to Windows 10 for digital entitlement to get the features/support newer to 8.1/10, since 8.1 introduced OEM Activation 3.0 eliminating viable SLIC activators and forcing KMS activation that always has the potential to get detected instead for pirated copies.
>>
>>54942461
I haven't had any issues with my 8.1 installs, and I don't know what SLIC is.

If I want W10 in the future, I think I'll just time it about when I need to do a fresh clean and reinstall and just pop it on then. Won't be for a while though.

Looks like 8.1 it is.

I like the task manager in 8.1.
>>
>>54942501
SLIC is a method of activation for Windows used by OEMs (legitimately) and pirates (illegally).

OEM Activation 1.0 through 2.1 (XP through Vista) employed OEM preactivation through an inert (non-code) table in the BIOS that contained a license key, and a corresponding digital certificate. This key was the same in all machines built by a manufacturer. It's easy to read this key in the BIOS and extract the certificate, and pop on a program to either really load it into the BIOS of any mobo (via modifying the BIOS file and flashing the modded BIOS) or by emulating it with a loader (e.g. Daz loader) that acts as a shim between Windows and the real BIOS of the machine. Microsoft cannot risk deactivating the fake machines as they would deactivate millions of real computers in the process.

Windows 8 introduced OEM activation 3.0, which entirely changed the game. All keys became unique and injected into the BIOS uniquely based on mobo serials at the time a machine was built. It rendered SLIC activation for pirates totally non-viable.

Windows 8 still has a while on support; Mainstream support is through Jan 2018, and Extended support through Jan 2023. You can go for it if you wanat and shouldn't have issues.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.