[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Software that went from good to shit and why >pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 3126__malwarebytes3_260614.png (75 KB, 930x607) Image search: [Google]
3126__malwarebytes3_260614.png
75 KB, 930x607
ITT: Software that went from good to shit and why

>pic related
Used to be a good virus remover because of it's good scanning, and now it looks like those "anti-virus scanner!" viruses. It also brings up a dialogue that tells you about a new update at random, even if you go into task manager and end MalwareBytes' process, it will open itself to tell you it has an update. I literally got an update notification from it as I typed this.
>>
>doesn't know how to turn off notifications
>thinks a UI change makes software "shit"

Go away.
>>
>>54935601
QuickPic.
It was bought by Cheetah Mobile and became chink spyware.
>>
>>54935601
Ăștorrent is probably the obvious one.

For me, I guess maybe imgur, even though it's a website. I initially liked it because it was clean and minimal, but now it insists on bombarding me with "viral" garbage recommendations everywhere I go.
>>
utorrent
>>
>>54935777
Use it on mobile and a random fucking cat paw pops up telling you to "Swipe for more!" Fucking scared the shit out of the first time.
>>
File: 1463740011537.jpg (18 KB, 267x303) Image search: [Google]
1463740011537.jpg
18 KB, 267x303
>>54935601
what a retard you are, holy shit
>>
>>54935686
t. malwarebytes shill
>>
>not using clamav

Fucken dropped mate
>>
>>54937340
ClamAV has worse detection rates than Windows Defender. Could just use nothing at all.
>>
AVG Anti-virus

Used to be the go to virus software imo desu senpai

Then they realised they could get a monopoly on the virus market and turned shrilly

Spotify also, until they added the freemium five plays per song and I never returned
>>
File: Xplogo.jpg (649 KB, 1960x1840) Image search: [Google]
Xplogo.jpg
649 KB, 1960x1840
>>54935601
>>
>>54935695
This and ES explorer.
>>
Better question would be what software stayed good for its entire history because those are much rarer.
>>
>>54940530
OSX
>>
>>54940530
imagemagick
>>
firefox

used to be advancing the web

now it's stuck between wasting money on women's outreach programs and desperately trying to be a carbon copy of chrome

mozilla doesn't even realize it's killing off the only user base it had - power users that didn't want google spyware garbage
>>
Utorrent
From god tier to trash and im seeing same sign with malwarebytes
Its unresponsive and laggy interface
>>
>>54940530
Paint.net
Retroarch
Many free emulators
>>
File: honeyview_pad_img.jpg (21 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
honeyview_pad_img.jpg
21 KB, 500x376
Honeyview.
Used to be a top tier manga reader for fucking weebs, now it's owned by Bandisoft and constantly gets useless new features.
>>
>>54935695
I haven't updated since before the buyout.
I wish I could just press a "do not show updates for this app" button. And no I am not going to install the hacked version. I can't be bothered decompiling it to make sure nothing was added.
>>
>>54940530
7zip
>>
>>54940530
Adobe Flash
>>
>>54940796
There are some things you just don't joke about mang.
>>
>>54940661

This is actually very easy to do and doesn't require any hacks. All you need to do is sign the official (pre-Cheetah Mobile) QuickPick APK using debug keys, and then install it. There are a number of signer apps that can do this for you. You can pull the official APK directly from Google Play to make sure nothing is tampered with.

Debug signing works with any app you want to freeze to a specific version. Google Play will never show updates for that app again.
>>
Gnome desktop
Firefox
Rosegarden MIDI sequencer

with the first two they had good sensible UIs that got replaced with shit hipster ones

with the last one, it got rewritten or something and went from a useful tool to an unusable buggy mess
>>
>>54940412
>Spotify also, until they added the freemium five plays per song and I never returned
What? I've used Spotify free for years and don't have any restrictions
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.