[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there honestly anything bad about apple and their products
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 10
File: apple.png (7 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
apple.png
7 KB, 384x384
Is there honestly anything bad about apple and their products like OS X? Or is it just memesters memeing?
>>
>>54933734
there's nothing wrong with being homosexual
>>
>>54933734
>overpriced
>underfunctional
>>
I think their computer are well made, looks good, comfy, work, good re-sell value. OSX is good, not better or worst. I hate most of their softwares though. Itunes enrages me every time I use it. Also sometimes you cant do shit unless you upgrade/patch then it's slower.
>>
wtf. All their shit is super fucking overpriced for what you get. Ya, it looks nice, but that's all. At one time, apple was innovation but now that a Steve jobs is dead everything that Apple shits out is just eaten up cause they have a consistent following. If they started their company right now, with the same products, they would be bankrupt faster that you can say "Apple". Just sayin
>>
>>54933749
>I've never owned or used Apple products: The Post
>>
They overprice their hardware rather dramatically ($30 for a fucking USB charger? Seriously? $30 for a fucking USB cable? SERIOUSLY?) and their OS is nothing special when it gets right down to it.

Their phones are nothing special either by comparison to the competition but since people are fucking stupid they'll buy into it.

Apple sells an eco-system of products that do actually work well together, I won't fault them for that. I will fault them for overpricing it all, making 40% minimum profit on everything they sell (those iPhone 4 bumpers years ago? Cost them like 13 cents to make and they were trying to sell them for $29.99 which is like 28,000%+ profit margin but they eventually just had to start giving them away because of the "AntennaGate" fiasco with the iPhone 4).

They charge too much for stuff that shouldn't be that expensive, and their software products aren't all that great and I speak from experience of owning and using Apple products since the 1970s when they first appeared (yes, I'm older than you, deal with it). I also have stock in the company I've held for 22 years and I really should dump it but whatever.

You have to decide for yourself whether they're good or bad.

For a company based in the US, created in the US, and functioning in the US, the fact that they have $220+ billion in cash reserves right now and the majority of that cash sits in offshore accounts in other countries so they can skirt out of paying taxes is just unforgivable to me.

They don't donate money to charities, they fucking horde it like it's going to disappear (and it should given their status) so I honestly don't give a fuck about 'em anymore. I know they'll be having that event next week and just rehashing the shit once more, with 10.12 introduction and probably the revamped MacBooks and potentially new desktops, maybe even a MacPro revamp as well.

It's Apple, you either hate 'em or you don't, and I don't have any reason to particularly like 'em so you figure it out.
>>
>>54933822
holy fucking shit. what he said
>>
>>54933761
You can't show a better value laptop than the 13 inch rMBP
>>
>>54933734
recently yeah
longer term
it's a normal distribution skewed toward certain problems
if they're good they're good. And certain models such as the base MBPs, (sometimes imacs) have consistently been steals.
but when they're not good
overpriced, underpowered, overheating
good german cars are good
bad german cars are unreliable
knowwhatimsayin?
>>
Well, OS X is better than Windows and if I had to use a Windows laptop or a MacBook, I'd pick the MacBook.
>>
>>54933822
Post written by a teenager
>>
>>54933908

Not quite, son.
>>
>>54933903

>Well, OS X is better than Windows
Personal opinion, not fact, irrelevant.

>I'd pick the MacBook.
Personal opinion, might be a fact in your universe but irrelevant even so.
>>
>>54933873
Define value. A chromebook or any cheap asus laptop is a better value laptop for a student for example.
>>
>>54933761
Are you 12?
>>
>>54933762
>overpriced
9000 pop tarts

>underfunctional
Switch apple's default DE for something else, like Xfce or MATE.
>>
>>54933936
Then why are people in science, engineering, and technology using MacBooks like NASA and university professors?
>>
>>54933822
/thread
>>
>>54933734
I wish they would just sell a license like Microsoft does. I'm probably not going to buy a laptop again, and their desktop hardware sucks.
>>
>>54933986
Because they're paid to and are pretentious. Any self respecting and worthwhile person in a tech field uses Linux.
>>
>>54934015

What sucks about it other than "muh le gaymans"? I use a Mac Pro for work every day. Love it.
>>
>>54934015

You sound like you've never had an actual job in your life. Tell your mom you're due for another hot pocket delivery to your basement, I mean "office".
>>
>>54934049
I thought all the rajeeshs worked for Microsoft and since when does /g/ defend Microsoft and windows?
>>
>>54934065
Eh, I've never seen it get super hot. Even when doing long transcodes or running BOINC.
>>
Does anyone here have the 2016 Macbook? I'm curious how it runs VMs.
>>
>>54933986

Because the stupid fucking people in charge of purchasing don't know any better. Besides, you can't use OSX in mission critical or life-threatening situations. OSX is never used in command or control situations, just in basic programming and data collection.

>doesn't know the EULA prevents using "the world's best operating system" in situations where one would expect such an OS to be reliable and stable
>nope, it doesn't work that way
>Apple won't stand behind it's own fucking software to save a life or keep shit from exploding
>fuck them
>and fuck you too
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>54933734
Android Wear works with iPhones too, Apple Watch only works with iPhones.
Apple Pay only works with iPhones.
IPhone charger cables only work with iPhones.
Macbooks stopped having ports so they could sell you some adapters that most likely will only work with Apple devices. ITunes is required to transfer media to your device.

They are the modern day Microsoft, trying to push their own way over standards to make everything locked to their ecosystem. People learned to hate Microsoft for making the internet mostly IE compatible instead of common standards, and making games require Windows instead of just OpenGL or something. Also .doc and other Office compatibility has been a problem because of closed ecosystem mowing over common standards. Somehow people get starstruck by Apple and forgive every shitty move they do, most likely because they fell in love with the idea of being successful and rich just by buying a certain brand. It doesn't work like that of course, it's often the exact opposite. People are buying over their capabilities.

I have owned Apple products and I can't see how I would go for them again. They are locking everything more and more, they are even trying to make their laptops unserviceable by making everything fixed to place.

Not only that but other manufacturers try to ride with the current fashion and copy Apple in their bad qualities too. I guess people won't buy them if they don't look Apple enough.
>>
>>54933734
It's just blind hatred and believers of misinformation.
>>
>>54933734
Mac OS is the most problematic platform for me to test and develop software on at my job because they keep changing shit about their system and making it incompatible with their older technologies and protocols.
>>
>>54934062
They sell out-of-date hardware at contemporary prices. They don't update their desktop line regularly.
>>
>>54934130
Man I can't wait for summer to end
>>
>>54934094
One tool for one job, anon. There's nothing wrong with an OS knowing its niche.
>>
>>54934165
Same. It's not as bad as some other /pol/ memes though, but it is as dumb and inconsistently applied.
>>
>>54933734
their 15" macbook pro (or any with a dedicated gpu) have overheating issues
on some of them it isn't too bad (like the 2012 non retina) on others it throttles terribly and eventually kills the chip (2011s, 2012 retina, soon the 2015 retina)
OS X isn't that customizable unless you get into some fairly sketchy programs that tend to break a lot.
They're also very expensive to fix, and apple support is shit if you have anything more advanced than a basic question (if you have basic questions they're great)
>>
So wait, you guys are saying that a laptop that comes with windows 10 is better than a macbook that comes with 10.11?
>>
>>54933822
Gah, I lost the post I was typing out. I'll just sum it up.

I'm an Apple customer myself (happy MacBook Prouser, for non-web development), but man, 280x profit margin? That's insane. Is there any definitive resource for someone to refer to, with citations, to show what kind of crap Apple does?
>>
>>54934203
>Using OS X/iOS upgrades to cripple hardware
Yet here I am on an 8 year old iMac enjoying the El Capitan beta with absolutely no issues.
>>
>>54933963
Are you a shill? Kill yourself, you cock loving faggit.
>>
>>54934236
>WerksForMeâ„¢ so it must be false for everybody, they have done nothing unethical since I can still use mine.
>>
>>54934246
Look at the fucking way he types, he's clearly either 12 or retarded.

>>54934298
I agree that iOS is timebombed, but the only time I've ever heard of it on OS X is on /g/, which is the last place you want to go for accurate Apple info.
>>
>>54934222

Not 280%+ profit, 28,000%+ - they paid 13 CENTS to make the stupid plastic bands for the iPhone 4 and they were retail pricing them at $29.99.

As stated, they make a minimum of 40% profit on everything they sell, that's MINIMUM 40% profit, and on some items like the USB chargers it's over 400% (those cost them like $7 and change to make and they retail for $30-ish). Same with the USB cables - fucking pennies to make one and $20-30 to purchase depending on location and length. Go do a Google search or any search for "apple usb cable failure" and see just how often those so-called premium items fail.

The gouge the fuck out of consumers on the accessories, they always have, they always will, and stupid fucking people will just keep buying it.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
At least OS X works with smartphones like Android or iPhones. Linux doesn't work at all.
>>
>>54934432

>Android works on smartphones
>says Linux doesn't
>Android is built from Linux since day one and still is

Are you just fucking stupid naturally or does it require some actual effort?
>>
>>54934184
It's not a pol meme, it started on int you uncultured swine
>>
>>54934483
Hello summer
>>
>>54934488
Connect your Android to a Linux distribution and see what happens.
>>
>>54934483
>it's news when an update breaks os x
>not like windows, where we just get a fucking million threads from retards trying to make windows 10 usable
>>
>>54934401
I didn't say 280%, but *280x*. 28,000% == 280x.

The thing I have learned here is not to randomly replace a percentage with a multiple.

Anyway, now I don't know how to feel about my MacBook Pro. I knew going in that it's probably overpriced to a considerable degree, but I have no idea what other brand I could just trust to deliver the quality I need/want, and to have a god-tier keyboard like my MacBook does.

Also, is there any way to refer to "my MacBook", or "my <apple_product>" without sounding like a poorfag hipster Mactard?
>>
>>54934401
>there is no cost for packaging and shipping the plastic bands all over the world
i mean yes they have insane profit but it's not like the cost of the raw material for things is the only thing to consider.
>>
>>54934514
You're only making it more and more clear that you're a summerfag
>>
>>54934526
What other laptops have good quality keyboards, anon? I've been extremely happy with its keyboard, and it's done wonders to stop the onset of RSI.

Again, I must ask, is there *any* way to say something positive about an Apple product without everyone jumping on you?
>>
>>54933734
Memesters from memetown meming their memeist memes.
>>
>>54934513

You could stop using terms like "hipster," "poorfag," and "Mactard" to start.
>>
>>54934720
My point exactly. It's your first week here and all you can do is parrot the first meme you saw, in fact you're not even trying to do anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if your only posts you've ever made on 4chan contained either the words "poo in loo" or "eats shit from his own hands" because you're nothing but an edgy 12 year old shitlord
>>
apple charges 2x for a particular hardware config as compared to other manufacturers, and there aren't any other special features in their laptops/desktops either. And to top it all, the exteriors are ugly.
Plus, OSX has minimal third party support. Ain't no fun having no choice.
>>
>>54933734

A terrible idea ask here because /g/ are apple evangelist 24/7
>>
>>54934788
ebin
>>
>>54933908
But yet you aren't adult enough to refute it with logic and reasoning. Who's the fucking teenager?
>>
>>54934888
>I'm too much of a dumbass to do literally anything other than spout shitty memes on a chinese cartoon forum
>>
I don't understand why people get so mad about Apple hardware.

For a long time, the rMBP 13" has been one of the best laptops you could buy for most cases. Expensive, yes. But if you want the best* you gotta pay for it.

*It's not all about performance. Who cares if your Anus Cuckbook 3000 has a better CPU when its made out of plastics and has a battery life of 2 hours.
>>
>>54933734
I reset my macs password with by holding CMD+r on boot, the running the command "resetpassword".
Even windows requires me to boot it into a live USB and using a Linux program.
Mac security is shit to nonexistent.
>>
>>54935043

I have a Dell Latitude E6400 that's 7 years old now, has a 9-cell and 12-cell slice (because I don't give a fuck about it being tiny and small and cute and pretty) and it runs for close to 20 fucking hours.

I paid $100 for it and $35 for the 12-cell slice.

No offense but I can infinitely more with this laptop (and yes, I can run OSX in a VM, so fuck Apple and fuck you too) than something that costs ~13x more, thank you very fucking much.
>>
>>54935080
> I don't give a fuck about it being tiny and small and cute and pretty

To me that defeats the whole purpose of a laptop.
It must be portable, every time I see someone running around with some huge ass 15"+ plastic bomber I wonder why they even bother with that shit.
>>
>>54935073
If you set an EFI password you can't do that. Built-in Mac security is actually pretty decent, just secure your EFI, use File Vault on your main partition and have a honeypot dual boot with tracking.
>>
File: SLWIDL.jpg (43 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
SLWIDL.jpg
43 KB, 400x350
>>54935144

>I wonder why they even bother with that shit.

That's because you're fucking stupid and you don't realize that what works best for someone else is not what might work best for you.

>pic is you
>deal with it
>>
>>54935080
20 hours? I can only dream of such a lifespan on my rMBP.

What kinda stuff do you do on it, because when doing light stuff (like vim, and not compiling anything), the life is about 8-10 hours. When doing more shit like wasting my life on 4chan, or other battery-raping activities it's far, far below that.

And shit, all that for only $100 + $35? That's crazy cheap. I don't care if it's supposedly huge as >>54935144 says, cause that seems like a great deal for getting a quick portable workstation going.
>>
>>54935226

Typical Windows usage, with some occasional work in El Capitan (in a VM as noted) for Xcode. I keep the brightness at 50%, use a custom battery profile I created (the Dell one works quite well but mine gave me about 2+ hours more runtime, lowered the CPU resource counters).

I'm not saying it's for everyone but, if someone handed me a brand new MacBook maxed out to the fucking gills right this moment I'd have it listed on craigslist within the hour for a significant discount (to get rid of it fast) and then just buy a real actual useful computer from Dell, probably another Latitude, with the largest battery I can get (9-cell) + a 12-cell slice (they still make them for the Latitudes and they're all pin-compatible as well, everything in the E-series uses the same docking connector for almost 10 years now so it helps dramatically).

And I'd get the 3-year CompleteCare onsite warranty included in the price too so if I did have some issue (so rare as it hasn't happened to me in a decade) they'd come to my fucking apartment and fix it or replace it no questions asked.

Apple products simply aren't worth the cost. For all that I just mentioned I'd get far more and I'd still end up spending far less than just a MacBook in a box.

You can find E6400 machines fairly cheap nowadays on eBay/craigslist, get 12-cell slices on eBay for $35+ (the real actual OEM Dell slice, not some cheap Chinese shit). They are simply the best laptops overall that I've ever owned or had the pleasure to use, and yes they can run Linux quite well indeed if that's your fancy.
>>
File: tumblr_msrnb4mKCU1qfugyvo1_1280.png (337 KB, 634x349) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msrnb4mKCU1qfugyvo1_1280.png
337 KB, 634x349
>>54934179
>2011 was a mere 3 years ago
>>
Here's the thing about apple. They're autistic perfectionists when it comes to building shit. If you want to build something the way they do, you're in for a huge surprise at just how expensive it is. The reason why they went with white everything is because getting two parts to be the exact same shade of white is infuriatingly difficult. Look at unibody macbooks. Jonny Ive litterally cnc'd a macbook pro body and thought to himself sure lets manufacture that. And they fucking bought tens of thousands of CNC machines to do so. They even boughtout a laser company to burn holes for a stupid light on the damn thing.

They spend hundreds of millions on buying manufacturing machinery every single fucking month.

Do they need such high tolerances on everything? No. Could they build it to specs similar to other chinashit with the same exact electronics for less? Yes. But that's just not the company apple is trying to build. They built a brand following which allows them to do so thanks to a markup of ~50% and total company wide profit margin of 39.4%. That's what enables them to make things to retardedly expensive specs and make a healthy profit regardless.
>>
>>54935187
>To me that defeats the whole purpose of a laptop.
>To me

If someone must have that super sweet (lol) 15" of screen estate and is willing to run around with a clunky heavy bag all day so be it.
I can't imagine many use cases where that would make sense. Certainly not if you move around a lot (e.g. being a student).
If you just put it on a desk in the morning and travel home with it in the evening the size would probably not be a big deal, but in that case you could just use a stationary display anyway.

For more use cases, a portable 13" is a better choice.
The rMBP just hits the right spots; its light and yet powerful enough for most tasks. For usual workloads you're not gonna need to bring a charger to last a workday. It has really good input devices (desu the trackpad is still no contest, even if Windows laptops got better over time).
There certainly are laptops that are better in a single category but in terms of overall package the rMBP is among the best. The Dell XPS 13 and Surface Pro are good alternatives.
>>
My only complaint is that it's pricey, but it's definitely great.
Anyone that hates Macs are just assblasted poorfags or gamer cucks
>>
>>54935476

>Anyone that hates Macs are just assblasted poorfags or gamer cucks

Anyone that spews such frivolous bullshit just doesn't have a clue.
>>
>>54935388
Good point.
First gen Apple products usually fail short in one way or another, but they shake up the market nonetheless.
People were making fun of the lackluster performance of the first gen Macbook Air and ignored the marvelous engineering at that time. The successor became the best-selling laptop for more than a year and spawned the whole category of ultrabooks. Every fucking chink manufacturer copied that design and tried to get a slice of the pie.

I guess the same will happen with the rMB. It's not quiet there yet, but this will be the laptop design that will satisfy the mainstream demand and push the industry forward.
>>
>>54935388
This. Theyre even autistic about the thickness and color of the charging cables even though that causes some issues because of the materials used. As someone who has experience in lathe and CNC programming/QA the quality of apples products is incredible. Go price out getting a small block of aluminum cut at a local shop. Even just into a ball or something and you'll see how expensive this stuff is /g/.
>>
>>54935404
>desu the trackpad is still no contest, even if Windows laptops got better over time
Kids and their touchpads, lel.
Use a nipple and wireless bluetrack mouse maximum compatibility
>>
>>54935589
>that giant fucking hinge
>>
>>54935589
>Lol I found this obscure shitty product no one bought on release that is vaguely similar in a single way
I'll never understand this regard logic. It doesn't really matter who did it first. It matters who made it functional and popular first.
>>
>>54935567
Nipple is bretty gud. Better than most Windows trackpads anyway.
Of course I won't argue that the Macbook trackpad is superior to using a mouse. There are common scenarios where using a mouse is just shit though (on a train/plane/chilling in bed).
>>
>>54934933
>Getting mad because people shitpost in my designated autism safe space
:^l
>>
>>54935627
Historically speaking this is incredibly true. Just like how Edison invented electricity or the light bulb. Or how Columbus discovered America. Or any of the other popular myths about who invented what. It really doesn't matter who did what first. It never does. It only matters who made it popular. I'm not saying this is the right mindset, I'm just pointing out the facts
>>
>>54935617
epik
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 618x196) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 618x196
I enjoy OS X a lot more than Windows, but my main complaint with Apple is their lack of customization. Pic related.
>>
>>54933734
memesters
>>
>>54936130
Applel doesn't want you to use their software the way you want to. Applel wants you to use software the way they want you to.

One of the reasons why I can't bring myself to switch from Linux to a Mac.
>>
>>54936187
You mean they manage their image like every other modern company? You might even call it.... a modern business practice.
>>
>>54933941
Universities only accept doc and docx. Ain't no Microsoft office on a Chromebook.
>>
>>54936208
What do you want to do on Linux that you can't on OSX?
>>
>>54936187
is this supposed to be controversial or something? product placement is pretty basic marketing
>>
>>54936309
I'm 99% sure you can export a Google Docs document to docx
>>
>>54933734
Apple does hardware integration and service/warranty well. Their software sucks, and the components aren't great for the price.

>>54936372
you can, it used to not be very reliable but now they've ironed out all the kinks
>>
>>54936422
>their software sucks
subjective, OS X is the only reason I own an Intel Mac
>>
>>54936312
Change UI, change Kernel versions etc

It is just less locked down that OS X

Also, I don't mean changing UI as in muh ricer meme. I mean changing the UI to suite my workflow.
>>
>>54936470
>itunes
>separate app store
>imovie (what does it even do?)
>iphoto
>updates required (this does help development, I admit, there are reasons for doing it)

Just about the only thing they've done really well is Spotlight

>>54936483
is there even a reason to change kernel versions? At most, it's like joining an OS beta in that you test the newer version or stay with the older, less feature rich and less buggy version, isn't it?
>>
>>54936521
>is there even a reason to change kernel versions? At most, it's like joining an OS beta in that you test the newer version or stay with the older, less feature rich and less buggy version, isn't it?
The code I write can be dependent on certain features in the kernel that we need to test across several versions.
>>
>>54936483
>>54936542
No kernel dev argues in a Macbook thread about why they can't buy a Macbook. You're fooling no one junior.
>>
>>54936550
I don't do kernel dev you mongoloid. Learn some reading comprehension
>>
>>54936567
Then test your code on VMs if you want a Macbook so bad.
>>
>>54936572
I'm arguing against using a Mac. Holy fucking shit, are all Applel users this fucking dense???
>>
I tried osx on a vm, so i will not complain about performance or glitches, but it's really stupid
>mouse wheel scrolls in the wrong direction
>buttons are on the wrong side of the window (why? Because everyone else puts them on the right?)
>the menu is retarded, why do program commands appear on the system menu? Unity does this too and that's why i switched
>options menu is basically empty

How can anyone take this os seriously?
It's literally style over substance. Sure, it would make a good shitposting machine, but that's about it
>>
>>54933734
Nothing that seriously bad. They're not without their flaws, but no-one else is perfect either.

A lot of the hate comes from misinformation. Quite a bit comes from it just being different from what Windows users are used to. Some of it comes from actual problems that people overestimate the severity and impact of. Some of it comes from it not suiting some use cases and the assumption that it's therefore useless to anyone.
>>
>>54936589
Everyone knows you just secretly want a Mac.
>>
>>54936626
makes a lot more sense when using a trackpad
>buttons are on the wrong side of the window (why? Because everyone else puts them on the right?)
Because Apple did it that way first
>the menu is retarded, why do program commands appear on the system menu? Unity does this too and that's why i switched
Because that's also how Apple's always done it. Some prefer it, some don't.
>options menu is basically empty
Options menu?

You simply prefer something other than OS X works. I switched to it from Linux years ago and want to switch back but there are simply too many little OS X quirks I've come to love that are implemented poorly or not at all in X11 WMs.
>>
>>54936626
sorry m8 but you sound like an illiterate Windows XP user who refuses to look at things in a new light. Or one of those older people who can't into change. Either way, it's probably best that you learn to keep your autism in check for little things in life that change.
>>
>>54936666
you're a fucking moron. Holy shit.

>don't want to change to a mac, even though considering it because of reasons
HURR DURR, WUT REASONS???
>because of x and y
HURR I WILL JUST MISINTERPRET Y BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT
>no, y is not this, it's actually like this...
ASUDUFSD YOU JUST WANT A MAC

fucking hell...
>>
>>54936710
This reminds me of those people who vehemently hate gays but are in the closet
>>
>>54936722
like applel users?
>>
>>54936734
ebin
>>
>>54936734
I don't think Apple users hate gay people
>>
>>54936626
You know that can be changed, right?
>>
OS X is a prime example of the failure of the middle ground.
Windows has the compatibility and usability, Linux has UNIX and control over the OS. OS X attempts to combine the two, unsuccessfully. It's better to dual boot Linux and Windows than use the middle ground OS X. I'm not saying that it's impossible to combine the best of all worlds like OS X attempted to do, I'm just saying it failed.
>>
File: 1450300079564.jpg (52 KB, 424x434) Image search: [Google]
1450300079564.jpg
52 KB, 424x434
>>54936744
>not hating yourself
>>
>>54936893
Sorry but your wrong. OS X is by far the best operating system available, the only reason you think it doesn't work is because you're not used to using it.
>>
>>54933822
/thread
>>
>>54934076
That's only because you are blind.
>>
>>54937171
ebin
>>
>>54933822

apple gives tons to charity
>>
>>54936893
>Windows has the usability
>>
>>54935175
Why buy a mac in the first place if you need to go to all this trouble? A very few amount of mac users would have the knowledge to do this.

just buy a Thinkpad and encrypt when installing GNU/Linux. Easy, no extra hoops to jump through.
>>
OP.

Regarding their hardware, it's fairly expensive. Unless you're looking for a nice screen and trackpad, and other specifics, it's not such a good idea.

OSX is a decent system but it seems out of date nowadays. OpenGL performance is atrocious. It could take the market by storm if they were more into gaming for instance. They could make Microsoft completely irrelevant. But these remain highly expensive machines for web browsing, converting videos and designing calendars.
>>
>>54933762
>laptop parts in """"desktops"""""
>overheating hardware
>>
>>54937076
>your wrong

You can't even spell correctly and you can still expect people to take you seriously. You should go finish third grade before posting, anon.
>>
>>54938149
Because you want to run OS X
>>
>>54938226
Style over substance?

People are willing to jump through way to many hoops, and pay much more than they should, just because of how Apple portrays their crap.
>>
>>54938326
You're quite the persistent summerfag aren't you?
>>
>>54938352
>implying OS X is all style and no substance

Just because you're a technology illiterate and know nothing about computers, doesn't mean that OS X is crap because it's both solid AND somewhat aesthetically pleasing.
>>
>>54938352
OS X is actually a pretty great OS, don;t the the epik memesters fool you
>>
IF clover didn't take ages to boot, I would dual boot hackintosh and Windows. Hackintosh is a pretty nice system. Just not good even for old games.
>>
>>54938448
Thansk, I forgot to add that one to my filter
>>
>>54938458
Nice meme.
>>
>>54938370
>>54938376

If it wasn't so hardware specific and cost a shit ton, i would agree, but its simply not worth the price of buying a mac. I have already pointed out a security flaw inherent in the OS, which is only there because the OS caters to the lowest common denominators. People that are to stupid to remember their passwords.
Apple is a sandbox. you can play within the box, but dont step outside it or it will be a huge pain in the ass.
OS X is perfect for your computer illiterate parents, but if you are on /g/ you should be ashamed to run OS X as a main OS.
>>
>>54938517
>OS X
>siri
wut
>>
>>54938522
>OS X is perfect for your computer illiterate parents, but if you are on /g/ you should be ashamed to run OS X as a main OS.
OS X is like finding yourself in a padded room, except the door's unlocked, you're unrestrained, and you're not drugged. Sure you start out in babbyville, but you're only there as long as you want to be. If you don't think such a great OS is worth the premium, then fine, don't use it. But please stop bitching that other people disagree.
>>
>>54938522
>If it wasn't so hardware specific
I have no problem with that, but I can see how it is a problem for others.

>and cost a shit ton
Well, you buy the computer AND the OS, not just the OS. But yeah, I didn't pay for my Mac (my employer did).

>I have already pointed out a security flaw inherent in the OS, which is only there because the OS caters to the lowest common denominators. People that are to stupid to remember their passwords.
I think it is a good thing that Apple forces you to enable FileVault.

>Apple is a sandbox. you can play within the box, but dont step outside it or it will be a huge pain in the ass.
>OS X is perfect for your computer illiterate parents, but if you are on /g/ you should be ashamed to run OS X as a main OS.
Why?

I mean, it's a UNIX for the masses, the development tools are great (xcode + command line tools ftw), dtrace is fucking awesome!!!, signed kernel extensions add security while still being as simple to develop as linux kernel modules, you get basically the FreeBSD userland because of Darwin core, macports is superior to any non-ports based PMS on Linux, the power-saving features of OS X allows me to use my MBP for work for an entire work day without having to charge (fucking 7 hours of programming, compiling, running and testing, last time I tried that on Linux I drained my battery in less than an hour)
>>
>>54938614
You are the producer of memes
>>
>>54938614
Nice meme
>>
>>54938614
Oh that's right, I've got to filter pajeet too. Soon it'll be like summer never came.
>>
>>54938632
Nice damage control
>>
>>54938594
OS X is not that easy to free up.

>please stop bitching that other people disagree
this is a thread discussing the ins and outs of apple

>>54938605
>Why?
Because you shouldn't need to be babied by your OS.

But i do concede you make some excellent points. I see why you like it, and i honestly havent dug that deep into OS X. I was just speaking for what i had seen when i was forced to use it.
that being said, how the fuck did linux drain your battery so fast? My battery lasts for days.
>>
>>54938735
>OS X is not that easy to free up.
Yes it is.
>>
>>54938735
>Because you shouldn't need to be babied by your OS.
But I'm not... Just wondering, how long did you actually use OS X?

Apple easily allow me to do whatever I want, the default settings of course is aimed at the consumer, but I just ran xcode-select -i in a terminal and it installed all the development tools. It almost felt like switching the OS from "consumer mode" to "developer mode".

Macports I had to install manually of course, but it was just downloading it and clicking the .dmg file.

The only thing that feels "babied" is the GUI (and only the GUI), I really can't change a lot about it except dark or light theme and background image. But I'm no ricer anyway and I spend most of the time either in the browser or in a terminal, so I don't really care.

>that being said, how the fuck did linux drain your battery so fast? My battery lasts for days.
CUDA development, Nvidia work with Apple to optimise the GPU usage and power it down the second it's not needed, whereas the Linux drivers are not that well-made desu. I mean, for performance they really are, but not from a power-saving point of view
>>
It's freetards being butthurt and poor.
>>
>>54938938
UNIX OS with commercial application support.
>>
>>54938916
>I don't have an argument so memes
>>
>>54938973
>>54938916
>>54938938
Nice meming.

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3612.htm
>>
>>54939000
>no arguments
I gave you plenty of arguments, and all you reply is
>mactoddler
and "poo in the loo" like the 12 year old you are. You have to be 18 to post on 4chan, and being upset about other's choice of operating system clearly indicates that you're not.
>>
>>54939000
Hello anon. You seem to be new here. Read the rules, it says you're supposed to be 18 or older
>>
>>54939014
Darwin core is basically XNU (Apple and NeXTSTEP, but open source) + FreeBSD userland, you fucking moron.
>>
>>54939027
>UNIX
>not belonging on /g/
I want /v/ to leave
>>
>>54939054
Nice memes, enjoy your ban. :^)
>>
>>54936309
My uni only accepts odt files
>>
Jesus christ trolling is too easy these days. It just requires someone with cerebral palsy.
>>
>>54939072
>shitposting = trolling
Trolling implies that someone is actually getting trolled/fooled. In this case, there's only an angry 12 year old trying to be edgy.
>>
>>54938522
>to stupid to
>>
>>54939084
See >>54939034

Also, yeah. That "piece of paper" means that the OS is tested and conforms to POSIX.
>>
Mods
>>
>>54939125
>whining about the dock
I too enjoy complaining about things that I'm in no way forced to use
>>
>>54939216
Why do you post that config file in every thread?

We already told you, that is the default configuration file for GNU Make (aka it's not even source code).

Also
>hurr durr reverse acronyms are real and not intended as a joke
GNUck off.
>>
>>54939259
>>54939216
And, since you obviously forgot, it sets the variable "unix" to a non-empty value (aka "true" in Make syntax)

So your sole argument is based on a variable called "unix" which is set to true. And never mind the comment about POSIX below it, saying bla bla "this confirms to Posix 1003.2"
>>
>>54939289
lol, how can you get this mad because someone likes something you don't like?
>>
>>54933822
This anon gets it. In general, i think that the phrase "it just works" describes Apples hardware really well. All in all, they're well made devices that are really simplistic, easy to use and they get the job done. For a simple user that wants a computer/phone/tablet that just gets the work done and doesn't really get in your way, they're a good option provided that you are ready and willing to pony up the cash for it.

Then on the other hand, if you are at least a somewhat competent user with any specific needs, you're going to dlam against the walls really hard if you want to do anything that isn't explicitly approved by Apple.

I had an iphone for the past 3 years and in a way I really liked how simplistic of a device it was. Now I have android and couldn't really be happier. I also own an iMac and a MacBook Pro (well to be fair, they're my gf's but whatever) and while I like to use them every noe anf then, I almost always default to my main windows/arch rig.
>>
>>54939328
Oh wow, repeating my own words and repeating your own words 4 times because you're not original enough to come up with a comeback really told me.
>>
>>54939034
XNU's just the kernel. Darwin's the OS. OS X is essentially Darwin + closed source APIs and programs
>>
if you like un-free software and dont have any issues being spied on constantly and just want a reliable machine to do your normie shit, it's one of the better choices.
>>
>>54936309
>not using latex
hows night school working out for you
>>
>>54934221
>forced music downloads
>as opposed to force OS downloads that installs itself while you sleep or even while doing something, as in literally shutting down everything and installing "upgrades"

I'll take OS X over Botnet 10 any day.
>>
>>54933734
Theres nothing wrong with their products. It's just that they ask way too much for them.
>>
>>54933822
>charity
Donating money to a charity as corporation is a marketing stunt, you fool
Are you trying to justify Microsoft? Apple is horrible but Microsoft is degrees worse when it comes to the ethical side of things.
>>
>>54934888
how many times did you have to look out for your mom behind you after you typed "shit"
>>
>>54939429
As I said in the post you're quoting: Darwin is basically XNU + FreeBSD. You're failing to understand that Darwin userland is, in fact, 99% FreeBSD code.
>>
>>54935514
>13 year old who want to play cawadooty but doesn't have access to his mom's crrdit card detected
>>
>>54939518
Your comeback makes no sense. It implies that an indian woman would scold her kid for shitting on the street.

If you're going to mock these people at least put some fucking effort you cockwaffle
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 600x450
>>54935617
summer harder jacob, you only have so much time before it's back to school
>>
I've used MacBooks since roughly 2006, and i've always liked them. Got an Air at the moment. But i've mostly used them alongside a windows desktop. Genuinely considering an iMac these days however, simplifying my setup is quite an appealing thought.

Plus chicks dig them.
>>
>>54939534
Got a source on that load of bullshit?
>>
>>54939564
>Plus chicks dig them
I was talking to a girl about computers once and my iMac got brought up, I had to explain it to her and she basically said something along the lines of
>oh my school's library has those, why would you want one?

>>54939588
ebin
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 600x800
>>54939547
>>
>>54933734
They are overpriced. They are difficult to service. They are difficult or impossible to upgrade. OS X is a bad operating system. The company has a history of poor policies and support for their products over the long term.

They have had a decent product here and there, but overall Apple is a mediocre tech company.
>>
>>54939640
>OS X is a bad operating system.
I partially agreed up to here
>>
>>54939573

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/BSD/BSD.html
>>
>>54933936
No shit. People have opinions. Writing "in my opinion before everything" is poor prose.
>>
They have issues with the CPUs throttling due to high temperatures.

Consider the cinebench score in the 27" imac seen in the video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgJMiMOLcKA

This is quite low for this CPU.
>>
>>54933734
Sure, plenty of bad stuff with OSX. Just as there are plenty of bad stuff with Windows and Linux.

Overall I'm satisfied with OSX though. Good amount of commercial programs, nice UI, good laptops and comes with a terminal.
>>
>>54939720
>244 posts
>first real technical issue
>>
>>54939654
It has neither the high compatibility of Windows with consumer products, nor the versatility of Linux with professional equipment. It has lower performance than both running on the same hardware.

Any comments about the ease of using the OS are irrelevant since once learned each of the popular OSes are the same in terms of usability.

It only has the benefit of being a Unix, but it can't coast on this alone.
>>
>>54939763
The meme feels kinda forced now since you've posted this exact same sentence 70 times according to the archive.
>>
>>54936893
Very well put.

After roughly 18 years of Apple OS usage (starting with System 7 and ending with L (L stands for loser) Capitan (the ship sunk)) then about 4 years of Windows (7 to 8.1) and since about 2 years Linux (roughly estimated timespans), I can fully agree.

Sure, Mac OS X is (IMHO more like "was", since the insane Steve Jobs spirit is now deadified in that company - it's meditation and gay love instead of hatred and looking mean and making fun of others) the perfect entry to secure UNIX systems, it even comes (came) with real world sand box graphics, open source graphics stack (OpenGL), a very logical scheme of how the OS itself designed (putting everything in folders (and not pseudo folders that in reality are images/volumes/mount points etc.) and naming everything humanly readable is a thing we need to port to Linux ASAP) and and and.

But the real world conditions in 2016 changed. Most people literally hold a Linux OS to their heads on a regular basis (Niggerdroid), routers/switches/toomuch run Linux, not XNU and all that for a MUCH better price, with better functionality and this will not change.

Until 2021 Linux will be able to be a replacement for Mactoddlers too stupid to handle a console.
We are very close already in 2016.
>>
>>54939976
Further I want to add that not all prices (I said "much better price") you can pay must be of monetary nature.
So do not dare calling me a cheap fuck.
>>
>>54939976
>people don't use iPhones, only android phones
Look at this retard
>>
>>54940002
Enjoy your 64 Bit cancer

the bitches be hot tho, I agree, but they scream, what makes them ugly again
>>
>>54934843
This thread is mostly hating Apple, where are all the evangelists you were talking about.
>>
>>54940011
>implying 64 bit arm isn't vastly better instruction set
>>
>>54940089
>>implying huehuehue
>implying you don't suck dick for a living
>>
>>54940099
>being this emotionally invested in a troll thread
Lol
>>
>>54940097
Fucking learn to read before shitposting you dumbfuck.
>>
>>54940104
Lol
>>
>>54940108
>mactoddler
>calling other people dumbfuck
>>
>>54940116
I don't even use Mac stupid. I was asking where are all the Apple evangelists anon was describing. Kill yourself
>>
>>54936309
>Universities only accept doc and docx.
I'm just finishing grad school and I literally never have been asked for a single doc or docx file.
>>
literally no games.
>>
>>54940151
>>54940134
Here we go.

It gets tiring to be fair.
>>
>>54940194
>literally
Steam runs on Mac you literal autist
>>
>>54940201
gimped out catalog of games you autist. enjoy your paper white.
>>
>>54940201
10.000 dollar PC losing 20-50% of performance because of horrible OpenGL implementation

nice meme
>>
>>54940201
Steam is not all games. Matter of fact, there's very few and more of the AAA releases are being ported over to SteamOS but not OSX. Hell it's like they attempted to bring gaming to OSX and it just halted.

Not only that. Playing games without vsync in OSX is an absolute nightmare. I haven't had problems with CS:GO on linux or windows, but on mac I have to cap the max_fps to 60 and enable vsync or it's unplayable.
>>
>>54940216
>>54940219
>>54940222
YOU SAID LITERALLY NO GAMES REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54940222
All games ported to steamos works on os X you mega autismo. They both use opengl

Also
>Hurr durr performance issue

Also also
>aaa games
>csgo
My fucking sides

>>54940219
>Hurr durr performance issue
Source or bust

Nvidia drivers for os X outperforms nvidia drivers for loonix
>>
>>54940236
I personally didn't but you're right

Besides, no games in the sense that there are just no games worth playing there. Linux is a more suitable platform for them -even- on AMD GPUs and that's sad.

I mean, unless you count firing up retroarch and playing crusader of centy.
>>
>>54940259
>AMD on Linux
Now you're just spewing bullshit
>>
>>54940253
>novidya
>envydia
>envyious of superior DX performance

gaming on os x is shite

you may stop defending it
>>
>>54940287
I questioned the claim that opengl somehow magically runs better on Linux, despite the fact that the nvidia driver on Linux is fucking horrible due to artificial api layers because of GPL linking autism. Stop sidetracking.
>>
>>54940287
Vulkan is going to compete much better with DirectX than opengl ever did. It might even kill it.
>>
>>54940253
>All games

Hmm. Like Saints Row IV? Payday 2?

Also performance issue doesn't mean a 5-10 FPS loss. It means unplayable. It means jumping from 30 to 150 whenever it fucking wants. It's unacceptable.

>>54940274
Not bullshit. 280x here. Desktop composition in OSX is messed up enough that not even GZDoom is playable. Yeah, a game that gets well over 1k FPS on linux/windows stutters like a little bitch in OSX.
>>
>>54940327
>Still no source
I am waiting
>>
After debating for a while i might just go for an iPad Pro 9.7" despite being in the Android ecosystem for a while... i'd really love a tablet i can doodle on. And i know the buy-in is a little ridiculous. And while the Surface 3 is an option, i'd rather get a hypothetical Surface 4 with a Core M or something.

If google had pen support in the Pixel C, i'd probably go for that.
>>
>>54940331
No source of what? Do you want me to go over to OSX and record game footage, then go back?
>>
>>54940302
stop talking to me about bullshit I don't care about.

I've played dota 2 for over 3500 hours, about 2000 or something on Mac os x, so basipally your a meme
>>
>>54933749
1337 rupees have been deposited into your shill station account, Pajeet
>>
>>54940353
I want you to provide documentation. Surely this would be a known issue with several mentions a lot of places like steam forums, Apple forums, tech review sites etc.
>>
>>54940362
Kill yourself
>>
>>54933822
>They don't donate money to charities, they fucking horde it like it's going to disappear
what if someone told you what to do with your money just because you have more of it than other people?
>>
>>54934196
>their 15" macbook pro (or any with a dedicated gpu) have overheating issues
mine doesn't. i play any game i want on it and yea the fan comes on and it gets warmer, but it never shuts down or slows down. had it for 3 years, still runs like day 1
>>
>>54940380
This. Apple make jobs and great products. They're not supposed to give handouts to lazy niggers
>>
>>54940364
Oh yes, because everyone happens to have a hackintosh setup with a 280x stored somewhere.

I could provide you with tonymacx86 links, but since "works out of the box" is broad enough for "desktop works well and I can watch videos", of course you aren't going to see much.
>>
>>54935388
>apple
>autistic perfectionists
it's in everything they do. that's why their products are so fucking good, from a user perspective.

even their programming languages.

>objective-c
>QA manager was a WWII veteran who's an MIT graduate. he was a hardass when it comes to QA, it ether works or it doesn't work, and if it doesn't work he's not going to allow that

pretty interesting talk by Dr. Tom Love, co-creator of objective C, and how it descended from smalltalk, was acquired by apple, and how he and his team made money as a small business that created the language
https://youtu.be/fF7cSgrHT6I?t=14m54s
>>
>>54940399
>hackintosh
You know you can install both Linux and Windows on a mac you fucking retard. Hackintoshes are hobby projects that are unstable as fuck, why the fuck would you go through all the hassle of a hackintosh and then complain that your games are not working correctly?

you backpedaling piece of shit
>>
>>54940399
Wtf has hackintosh to do with anything, wasn't the sole argument "why use 10,000 on something that doesn't play games"? A hackintosh cost no money at all.
>>
>>54940429
>he did not put up with a lot of crap in the organisation

>we delivered an objective C library, and after a year we had only 5 bug reports, 3 of which were documentation errors
>>
>>54940429
>>and if it doesn't work he's not going to allow that
>and if it doesn't work, then only because he is suffering from massive flashbacks

FTFY
>>
>>54940437
It's the other way around, hackintoshes are stable as fuck, it's the original hw and sw that is unstable as fuck.
>>
>>54940437
Oh yes, the "not a real mac" argument. You know that mac GPUs are fucking terrible in comparison, right?

Have you compared the firepro d500s to actual 280x's? Do you think we're still in 2007 and hackintosh still requires 40 unofficial kexts?
>>
File: Edsger_Wybe_Dijkstra.jpg (297 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
Edsger_Wybe_Dijkstra.jpg
297 KB, 1024x1365
>>54940475
i just imagine this poster, typing on his cheap keyboard, clicking on his dirty mousepad, in his OS that has about 10 million redundant system calls, and he just feels satisfied now for making fun of someone who takes pride in quality work, as if there's no virtue in that

>Elegance has the disadvantage, if that’s what it is, that hard work is needed to achieve it, and a good education to appreciate it.

>Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!

>The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim.

>The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense.

>Quality, Correctness, and Elegance.

>Elegance is not a dispensable luxury but a quality that decides between success and failure.

>I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and dirty, you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and say to yourself "Dijkstra would not have liked this", well, that would be enough immortality for me.

>There are very different programming styles. I tend to see them as Mozart versus Beethoven. When Mozart started to write, the composition was finished. He wrote the manuscript and it was 'aus einem Guss' (from one cast). In beautiful handwriting, too. Beethoven was a doubter and a struggler who started writing before he finished the composition and then glued corrections onto the page. In one place he did this nine times. When they peeled them, the last version proved identical to the first one.

>You just cobble something together to sell. It need not be any good. As long as you can fool people into buying it you can always try to make better versions later. So then you get these version numbers even with decimals, version 2.6 or 2.7. That nonsense while Version 1 should have been the finished product.
- Esker Wijba Dijkstra
>>
>>54940493
I have a GTX 750 in my MBP, please tell me more about how shitty that is.
>>
>>54940493
>firepro d500s to actual 280x's?
>Do you think we're still in 2007
no, but you sure do
>>
>>54940527
Lol
>>
>>54940503
Stay in your imaginary disneyland

that's what steve made for you, disneyland.
>>
File: kekheavy.png (537 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
kekheavy.png
537 KB, 600x900
>>54933822
>iHipsters pay $100 for stylus (sorry, PENCIL)
>$30 for 4 stylus pen tips
>mfw
>>
>>54940548
your computer is shit, and you know it. once you go mac, you never want to disrespect yourself by using windows again.
>>
File: 1465166468557.png (280 KB, 3388x3638) Image search: [Google]
1465166468557.png
280 KB, 3388x3638
>>54940566
>>
>>54938169
your keyboard is broken bro
>>
>>54940596
>repeating the same joke 60 times os funny
I am """"sorry"""" this tickles your autism.
Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.