[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shitposting from a potato
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: WT4090_LG.jpg (21 KB, 341x250) Image search: [Google]
WT4090_LG.jpg
21 KB, 341x250
I'm trying to get a particularly shitty device online and have come across an interesting problem. When loading a web page in elinks the CPU usage pegs at 100% for about 55 seconds during which time I can't do anything. However if I download the page with curl or wget then view the downloaded page in elinks I can have the page up in less than 10 seconds including typing commands and the processor never goes past 60% usage. Is the problem here that elinks is just incredibly inefficient or is there some thing else going on here?

Also, what's the shittiest device you've got online in recent years?
>>
>>54932124
wget will only pull the page by default, it wont traverse any of the backgroud bullshit like elinks tries to.
>>
File: 1465166383260s.webm (2 KB, 250x183) Image search: [Google]
1465166383260s.webm
2 KB, 250x183
>>54932124
>>
>>54932211
That could be it. I forgot I had another browser (retawq) installed so I tried to load a page in that and it loaded almost instantly with CPU usage going just barely over 60%.

>>54932232
That looks like shit.
>>
>>54932124
I would say that the problem is low memory. You do not need much memory to download a file, but need to load much more data at the same time to show the page.
>>
got to view my emails on my casio digital diary from 1995 via linking it to a windows 95 cnc console, which was linked to a thinkpad A30, which i connected to my T42 in order to get wireless internet access

it actually worked better than i expected
>>
>>54933172
Problem wasn't low memory. I never hit 50% memory usage, highest it got was 13/28 MB used.

>>54933219
That sounds pretty neat, what model? I had one when I was younger (pretty sure it was the model in pic related) but it broke and I didn't think you could actually get them online (though messing around with it and a modem does come to mind for some reason).
>>
File: hp1000cx.jpg (362 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
hp1000cx.jpg
362 KB, 1280x960
>>54933491
i cheat a little and telnet into an openwrt travel router and use ssh/elinks/alpine/etc from there, but the palmtop itself can do some things. mtcp is a pretty good dos tcp/ip suite with http/ftp/irc/telnet. just don't expect to do anything encrypted on an 80186
>>
>>54932124
>>Also, what's the shittiest device you've got online in recent years?
I got an internet connection on an 80286 with 2MB of RAM (640k conventional, the rest EMS or something, I forget) a few years ago. Tracking down a DOS TCP/IP stack was the hard part. Arachne downloaded and rendered google.com in about a minute. (sans javascript)

I thought about trying to shitpost with it but theres no way the captcha would work and I wasn't going to spend the $20 on a pass just for that.
>>
>>54933649
>i cheat a little
I'd say you cheat a lot because that's an HP 1000CX and not a Casio Digital Diary.

>>54933786
I have a 286 laptop sitting around but I'm worried about taking the time to set it up for shitposting on another imageboard that doesn't have captchas only to come across problems with RAM due to it only having 640k and the lightest programs I've used on other devices exceeding that or storage due to it having just a floppy drive and no hard drive (internet would be done via serial port and configuring another computer as a PPP server).
>>
>>54933172
Despite what you'd expect, memory size isn't usually that much of a bottleneck when potatoposting, I shitpost from a ThinkPad with 128 MB at work all day, and I've surfed from hardware manufactured as early as 1991 (1983 if you count hooking up a PC XT to a Solaris box)

RAM speed, on the other hand, can fuck you pretty hard, particularly I think bandwidth must be pretty significant when it comes to browsing for whatever reason. My P4 Rambus boxes will blow PC133 and early DDR systems out all day long for web surfing.

>>54933996
Yeah, as fun as it sounds trying to get that hardware usable for online stuff, I'd rather toil away putting it to work for some other purpose and just dialing into remote hardware when I want to get on the internet.
>>
I've still got my Cybiko in a box somewhere around here... I wonder if I could get that thing online.
>>
>>54932124
What is this?
>>
File: WT4000Sequence_024.jpg (348 KB, 1283x962) Image search: [Google]
WT4000Sequence_024.jpg
348 KB, 1283x962
>>54939139
a Barcode scanner which you can strap on your arm.
>>
I used to use Whatsapp on my DS Lite through a Bitlbee server on my laptop and the IRC Client that's part of DS Organizer, (which I downloaded onto my R4 clone,) and I think I also connected to some actual IRC channels on it as well. Was nice.
>>
>>54932124
A macbook air
>>
>>54939691
no it's a pipboy
you normie.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.