[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We need this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: reverse-microwave-technology1.jpg (65 KB, 351x250) Image search: [Google]
reverse-microwave-technology1.jpg
65 KB, 351x250
Has a reverse microwave been invented? Like something that cools stuff off fast, like a freezer, but faster. I thought of this when I wanted a soda while eating spicy Doritos and I wanted a drink but what I got wasn't cold.
>>
>>54931127
liquid oxygen
>>
There's the blast chiller, but it's quite slow.
>>
>>54931127
stop drinking sugary jews, you cock sucker.
>>
File: 1465092944188.png (274 KB, 373x503) Image search: [Google]
1465092944188.png
274 KB, 373x503
>>54931127
Such a thing would use more electricity than an A/C running for a whole hour
>>
No, not efficiently yet
>>
File: 1448630948144.png (372 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
1448630948144.png
372 KB, 792x792
>>54931197
>tfw drinking sugary jews

i... i-i-am a slut
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_thermodynamics
>>
>>54931127
no, but you can use a peltier to cool small amounts of liquids quickly
>>
>>54931259
or explode your can, because that shit drops the temperature to -(insert yor lucky number here) °C in a instant
>>
>>54931127
just reverse the polarity of your microwave
>>
Anti-Griddle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpdDzaNhX9M
>>
>>54931297
already does it with aluminium automagically.
Try it OP.
>>
You can achieve that by blasting whatever it is you want to cool with a fire extinguisher. It'll be rather expensive though.
>>
>>54931127
it's called a refrigerator.
>>
He closest there is to that are freezers so cold with black walls that absorb all incoming radiation operating at extremely low temperatures that absorb high amounts of heat from the object inserted in it
They cost a fuckton both to produce and to maintain operative
>>
>>54931358
>still using black walls to cool
>not black holes, so the mass is just sucked away constantly
>it's like 2516 again
>>
>>54931127
>something that cools stuff off fast, like a freezer, but faster.
You mean like a blast chiller, flash freezing, or an anti-griddle?
>>
the problem is that the rate you can extract heat from something is determined by the difference in temperature. Cooling a 50-degree can of soda to 40 degrees happens slowly with a 40-degree cooler because of the small temperature gradient. Attach it to a -100 cooler and you'll cool it down rapidly. You'll also freeze water out of the air and cement the can to the cooler, flash-freeze the soda thats touching the can wall while the center is still liquid, and other entertaining things.
>>
>>54931127
Semi-serious answer:

Unfortunately, heating and cooling aren't perfect opposites of each other.

Due to the underlying physics, it is easier (meaning, more possible to achieve using more simple mechanisms) to heat something up than to cool something down.

For example, a refrigerator cools the inside but uses more energy to do so than the equivalent amount of heat-energy removed from the contents. You can kind of sense this by how hot the outside back panel of the unit gets - if you took that heat and put it back into the refrigerator, the contents would actually heat up more than the ambient temperature of the room.

To the point, a microwave directly heats something by dumping energy into it. To cool something down in the same direct fashion, you would need to somehow suck energy out of it.

I believe this is kind-of the principle used in laser cryogenics, but it only works on miniscule amounts of completely pure / single-element molecules, because the laser pulses have to hit the molecules at exactly the right frequency to dampen [reduce] their oscillation (and thus, their heat-energy). This is not doable for a big bunch of mixed up molecules like you would find in regular food or drink. Also, the principle of it costing more energy than is removed still holds - the laser itself gets hot :]
>>
>>54931299
This is too cool.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.