[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we even use QWERTY keyboards anymore? They were literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: original.jpg (448 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
448 KB, 1600x900
Why do we even use QWERTY keyboards anymore? They were literally designed to slow down typing.
>>
File: 1465117016603.png (244 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465117016603.png
244 KB, 1920x1080
>>54924361
Because relearning to type is a pain. Besides emacs has made me immune to rsi and qwerty induced inefficiency
>>
>They were literally designed to slow down typing.
I used to believe in urban legends too, anon.
>>
File: 1465129467606.jpg (42 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
1465129467606.jpg
42 KB, 500x534
>>54924361
>Designed to slow you down
No

>Designed to minimise the likelihood of neighbouring keys being pressed in succession
Yes

QWERTY is garbage but it is one of those things where it is probably easier to just learn to deal with than to try and fight. I mean, Dvorak is an improvement but still suffers from QWERTYs biggest flaws like unnecessarily staggered rows or modifier keys like shift being pressed by the weakest fingers. Even if you dealt with those issues you could argue as a programmer you use operators and numbers far more than characters so should you use a special layout for programmers? And then maybe even a particular layout for C vs Lisp say?

Unless you want to go full autism and get some whacky racers layout it is easier to just take a deep breath and deal with shitty QWERTY.
>>
>>54924361
Because there is no one best key layout. Dvorak is great for english prose but one of the worst for programming. QWERTY may be merely ok, but its at least ok for most things and rarely the worst (heavy numeric entry is the main example, hence numeric keypads)
>>
>>54924872
thank you, you said it for me
>>
>>54924872
Not OP but if relearning could not be an issue what would be the best keyboard layout we could acquire or build?
>>
>>54925506
>>54926970
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Colemak

Dvorak is just going full retard mode.
>>
>>54927003
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Colemak

Thank you anon :)
>>
>>54927072
>>54927003
>not Workman
Plebs

Anyway OP, QWERTY is good enough and there's no reason to switch to some meme shit like Colemak, Dvorak or Workman. 110 WPM is trivial on QWERTY and unless you're an un-/fit/ faggot who doesn't do grip training, you'll never get strain anyway even when using something as annoying as QWERTY.

Now, switching to Stenographic layouts e.g. Plover (and really only Plover tbqh) is a completely different story. That shit's sexy. Modifiers may be an issue but you can always just write what you want to do (instead of alt+f4 you can just write "command: close window" and it'll be just as fast)
>>
>>54928507
>Now, switching to Stenographic layouts

Unless you're a professional stenographer that just sounds pretty autistic t b h
>>
I am the only one here who types 90% with just their index fingers? who's/ index finger masterrace/ here/
>>
I average 85 WPM, is that enough for the workplace or is it mediocre? I'm going to college and I expect to improve a bit when I get back into practice
>>
>>54928639
Your point being?
>>
>>54929911
it's slow as all-fuck (normies at my high school who literally used their computers as nothing but facebook machines reached 110), but all being slow means is having to spend more time
>>
>>54928733
how long did that post take you?
>>
>>54928733
hunter pecker reporting in
>>
>>54930638
at least I'm not at the "average" around 45 wpm

I assume that that is largely skewed by hunter peckers

I also hope that I will pick up a bit in practice. I am 4 years out of school and have never typed for work, so there is a bit of rust that needs greased
>>
>>54931416
The fuck are you doing on /g/?

>>54932729
Eh, you'll not learn unless you actively set out to learn. Old habits die hard, and you're gonna get slower before you get faster.
Personally I'm a memer so I'd recommend using Plover to learn Stenography instead. Shit's fun as well as ridiculously fast. Won't work on a laptop without an external keyboard or something similar though.
>>
So why is the space bar so big? Just give it a normal sized key and move ctrl,alt and start/super the middle for your thumbs instead
>>
>>54930638
>normies at my high school who literally used their computers as nothing but facebook machines reached 110
What the hell is with people and their ridiculously inflated WPM numbers? Last I checked the average person could type at ~65 WPM, yet every person online can type at at least 90 WPM on a regular keyboard and can do 80+ with only their thumbs on a touch screen without any form auto complete/prediction.
>>
Kind of looks cool if you're going for some steam punk shit I guess
>>
>>54924361
QWERTY wasn't designed to slow down typing; it was designed to spread it out.
>>
>>54930638
If you can type at 90WPM, you can type faster than about 90% of the population.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.