[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there more viable tech community projects coming out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 15
File: tumblr_o8a1ivg8Hr1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg (526 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8a1ivg8Hr1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg
526 KB, 1280x960
Why are there more viable tech community projects coming out of Tumblr than /g/?
>>
>>54924325

/g/ is the new /r/apple

>"technology" board

Thanks millineals
>>
>>54924325
Oh look, another worthless Raspberry Pi.
What is it good for? Exposed PCBs are soo #Nerd and #Geek, right?
>>
>>54924325
/g/ has never been about community projects. I use this board to get tech news usually about cpu and gpu's.
>>
http://youtu.be/8ucCxtgN6sc

>>54924426

This pretty much /g/ in 2016
>>
>>54924426
>Exposed PCBs are soo #Nerd and #Geek

No, they are cheaper to produce. You just hate anything out of Tumblr by default for no reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3qkdB5bzLY
>>
What about Tox?
>>
File: 1461966555604.png (44 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
1461966555604.png
44 KB, 661x716
>>54924325
Safe spaces > shill spaces

Until /g/ accepts everyone /g/ is doomed to forever be less productive than tumblr.
>>
>>54924520
Nah, I just see no point in half-assing everything. Half-assed gameboy-like UMPC? For what? Dragonbox Pyra is better in any sense. CHIP itself? Mediocre barebone PC like Raspberry or Cubieboard. How it is better? Only because of price. Welp, Raspberry PI zero and Orange PI exists now.
Come on, name one use of Pocket CHIP except emulator garbage - literally chinese Dingoo A320 published who knows when was better.
>>
>>54924426
>Oh look, another worthless Raspberry Pi.
>What is it good for? Exposed PCBs are soo #Nerd and #Geek, right?
Exactly!
>>
File: guiov.jpg (403 KB, 2143x1310) Image search: [Google]
guiov.jpg
403 KB, 2143x1310
>>54924612

Tumblr is dope. Fuckoff hater.
>>
because most of /g/ are either neets or workaholics. One group lacks the social skills to network and build a good project while the other doesn't have the time.

Oh course I'm ignoring all the consumer whores here who know nothing about cs, coding, or anything dealing with hardware.
>>
>>54924714
>emojis
>stale Windos 10 memes
>stale TF2 memes
Nerdcraps thingie is quite cool.
>>
>Why doesn't /g/ produce tech?

"Hey /g/ I'm working on a project to develop a new, portable Linux device, but I need input"

/g/: FUCKING SAGE >>>/WSR/ FUCKING KILL YOURSELF SHILL CUCk

Then a mod will remove the tech related thread
>>
>>54924520
>You just hate Tumblr by default.

Rules of the interwebs, new friend.
>>
>>54924612
If you need to ask why you would want a portable GNU/Linux device with a full hardware keyboard, this is probably not for you. The gaming side of the PocketChip was an after thought. Personally I would use it for an SSH machine and serial console.
>>
>>54924325
>A handheld general purpose programmable computer with full keyboard and touch display
You'd think /g/ would be all over this shit.
>>
File: 1323161893341.png (56 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1323161893341.png
56 KB, 500x400
>>54924714
Don't you have gender studies to attend to?
>>
>>54924325
>/g/
>knowledgeable enough to pursue their own tech projects
Pick one.
>>
>>54924575
Exception that proves the rule.
>>
File: 1465057819998.png (40 KB, 609x258) Image search: [Google]
1465057819998.png
40 KB, 609x258
>>54924325
>>
>>54924894
I just want to die now.
Why can't programming be fucking programming.
>>
>>54924801
>Then a mod will remove the tech related thread

and tell you to buy an ad if you want to advertise

t. Someone it's happened to
>>
>>54924325
/g is not a community, there's no networking between anomalus
>>
>>54924520

Tumblrina detected.
>>
>>54924595
>implying lolis are not technology
fucking lost it. that had to be a direct quote
>>
>>54924612
>why reinvent the wheel?
for your own edification and for love of tech. you don't start your first project by making something that's better than what companies with millions of dollars and full teams of engineers are producing LOL
>>
>>54924502
This video was very triggering.
>>
File: salt factory wall collapses.png (275 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
salt factory wall collapses.png
275 KB, 540x304
>>54924910
it is. are you implying that programming is only done by men?
>>
I'm working on getting Arch Linux running on a Nexus 7 2012. So far its not bad, I need an external keyboard though.
>>
>>54925820
No, that's not what I'm implying at all. Are you implying that the gender of the person giving the talk is more important than the content? Because that's what the picture implies.
>>
>>54924325

I dont get it... why are you playing a game on Gimped Hardware when you can easily play with your computer? Is it for the >muh gaystetics?
>>
>>54924714
My god... they are literally cockroaches of 4chan /g/ culture.

However there are some good infosec blogs on there
>>
>>54924894
Where is object percentage of those talks that were not shit?
>>
File: 1442930997959.png (315 KB, 424x365) Image search: [Google]
1442930997959.png
315 KB, 424x365
>>54924325
/g/ is a tech board for non-tech people who want to get into tech. That's what it's good at, don't try to make it something else. People who are actually good at programming and such move on to other places and that's alright too.
>>
>>54925835
not exactly. you see it that way because of some deep-seated misogyny complex.

1. the convention isn't a boys' club anymore and women are be encouraged to attend
2. with greater diversity in the speakers, the overall quality of the talks improves. women who can give a better talk than some men have pushed those inferior speakers out.

diversity of thought has been veritably demonstrated to improve companies' performance. if you assume that the gender of the speaker was prioritized over the talent, you're ignoring the reality of the benefits of inclusiveness.

>>54925872
remember, a woman handwrote the instructions to put a man on the moon. don't assume that female speakers are automatically not as good as male speakers.

of course, I'm speaking to a brick wall. you both would rather keep your heads in the ground rather than open up your way of thinking and benefit from it.
>>
>>54924714
> command-line-computer-virus
> has the weather

> ton of macshit
> ton of poorly done arch ricing
> literally screencap'd /g/ shitposting
> terrible linux memes

just
kill
me
>>
File: 1439274387103.jpg (42 KB, 491x394) Image search: [Google]
1439274387103.jpg
42 KB, 491x394
>>54924894
>>54925820
>8% of developers are women
>40% of speakers are women
>invite speakers based on their inherent features such as race and gender
>discriminate against men on purpose
>look how diverse we are

This is your brain on feminism
>>
I've said it before and i'll no doubt have to say it again;

The CHIP is a great device.
The PocketCHIP is a gigantic piece of shit.

That photograph there literally shows why people want the pocketCHIP, to show off their "retro" games on a piece of hardware that hopefully none of their friends in starbucks will have. Nothing productive will EVER be done on a PocketCHIP, I defy any of you fuckers to say otherwise. Not a single one, not any unit of pocketCHIP will ever be used for constructive reasons. You'll port (Read: Found online instructions and files already made for you) DOOM over to it, show it to your pals around a double-semi-mochalatte-grande-especiale and then never think of it again.

G fucking G.

The CHIP is a useful little device that is surprisingly capable.
The PocketCHIP makes me lose any remaining fucking faith I had in you people.
>>
>>54924325
Because /g/ doesn't fucking do anything. We just shitpost here.
>>
>>54926128
8% of developers are women because of that discrimination, but you stay simple, anon.
>>
File: kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg (31 KB, 346x274) Image search: [Google]
kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg
31 KB, 346x274
>>54926251
imagine being this mad about what other people do for fun
>>
>>54926310
So you discriminate against men to show women that you aren't discriminating against women?

>that discrimination
What discrimination? Currently men are discriminated against, how does that keep women out of tech?
>>
>>54926332
Imagine living in a world where every device that gets made to introduce people to microprogramming only ever gets used to play video games. Video games video games video games video games amirite? I just can't get enough of those video games! Have you played video games today?

When these things become widely available, you come show me all the productive things that have been made from the microCHIP.
>>
>>54924325
this shit is 100% propietary.
A fucking HOMEBREW handheld that only uses PROPIETARY software.
This shit is horrendous.

The GP32 , GP2X , dingoo & GCW-ZERO were/are better than this fucking pile of shit.
>>
>>54924325
>>54926382

Uzebox is also a lot better than this shit.
>>
>>54924801
>grand theft gentoo
>lo/g/os
>the skype alternative thing
>>
>>54924520
>No, they are cheaper to produce.

Did you even look at your picture?

>Two ink photomask steps
>Internal cutouts on top-right and bottom-right
>Metal dome buttons, means hard-nickel/-gold plating instead of cheaper ENIG
>Needed injection-molded front and back assemblies to hold board/battery/lcd anyway

That was designed for aesthetics, not engineered for cost. Extending the bezel to cover the entire board would have been practically free and would have let them print the board on a completely standard process. They could have used a silicone-rubber keypad and saved a fortune on assembly/plating.

Actually, I'd like to see what a PocketCHIP looks like after some typical abuse (toss it around a backpack for a few weeks with moderate usage). Very curious to see if the fine detail on the ink/mask is maintained, whether the buttons can stand up to that kind of abuse (especially dust build up through the vents), and whether the bezel is actually firm enough to stay clipped on for the duration.
>>
>>54924426
And? It's still something. What did 4chan ever do?
>>
>>54924325
Why are you browsing tumblr?
>>
>>54924325
>>54924520

Also, I thought it was just your picture, but is the registration between the drill/pads/ink layers on the GPIO breakout really that bad? It almost looks like they've intentionally zig-zagged the pins, except then it wouldn't fit a standard header which defeats the purpose of a breakout.
>>
>>54926310
>fields in which white men are prevalent are the result of discrimination
>every field where they are not are based on merit
>>
>>54926310
b8
>>
>>54926310
>discriminate against women
>discriminate against men to make up for it

Couldn't you just not discriminate against anyone?
>>
>>54925869
do you any blog worth following?
>>
>>54924325
there are places on tumblr and reddit where serious discussion is actively encouraged
the more mainstream nature of these sites also attracts older and more knowledgeable users with money, experience and drive to throw at constructive projects

/g/ is practically the opposite, 4chan rewards users that cater to the lowest common denominator by design, and most of the user base is composed of millennial CS undergrads and gamers who are only here to blog about their consumer trash, post dank memes and try their hand at being a ruse legend

even those who don't fall into that "most" segment are bikeshedding half-asses who would rather argue about the licensing and ethics of various FPGA vendors and their accompanying software or the aesthetics and font rendering of each others' text editors before they even so much as had an IRC room and a shitty logo for the project, let alone agreed standards of interchange between contributors or a platform to base it upon.

/g/ can talk a good game and spam benchmarks and marketing drivel like the rest of them, but when it comes to actually getting shit done or producing something useful, they're easily the worst mainstream technology community on the internet
>>
>>54924426

There are companies with thousands of Pi's in production at customer sites.

dunno how these people sleep at night.
>>
>>54924325
because it's not some gay ass happiness&creativity board

look, do you want to arguer your favorite software platform superiority or not? or at least fap to your last smartphone purchase? because if you want to talk about making technology-related things, you can just fuck off
>>
>>54926376
>Well I used them to build a robot to play video games for me. Now I have time to build other things.

>Which is good as I needed that time to build another robot to stop the first. Turns out when you build a self evolving robot programmed to beat all video games it eventually figures the task is unobtainable till humans stop making new games faster then it can win. So it starts killing game developers and anyone else, while stealing rare games and consoles.

>Also anyone have a Vectrex with a copy of Minestorm? I need it to save humanity!
>>
>>54924612
>Half-assed gameboy-like UMPC? For what? Dragonbox Pyra is better in any sense
Why aren't you using a dual processor Xeon build for your desktop? It would be better in any sense than what you have.
>>
>>54926824
This.

4chan is for kids who get involved in retarded wars over bullshit. 90% of discussion is just what should I buy, brand wars, technical support for retards, babby's first linux, or computer science memes. There is no depth whatsoever.

Serious tech nerds don't have time for this inane bullshit. I just come here to talk shit for fun.
>>
I just finished half a pizza and 2 boxes of Pringles while browsing this thread.

This is why we get nothing done.

/g/ is literally pic related
>>
>>54927801
>pringles
fuck. Now I'm going to want to buy some when i go to the store tomorrow.

And i might buy a hawaiian pizza too because fuck the haters.
>>
That little computer in is adorable though. I may have to look into what projects you can make with it.
>>
heh, /g/ is being raided by tumblrinas
>>
File: is_notiert.jpg (169 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
is_notiert.jpg
169 KB, 1920x800
>>54926251
>Stop having fun
Are you ok, senpai?
>>
>>54924502
play the video with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bosouX_d8Y

it is very fitting.
>>
>>54926532
>Katawa Shoujo
>>
>>54926310
>Women choosing not to be developers is discrimination
Great logic there, you're ready to compete with Pahjeet.
>>
>>54926251
with wireless networking and/or a serial add-on board I would find it pretty nifty as a tiny terminal or a simple data collection device

of course you'll probably shift the goalposts and say it isn't "productive" because it's not as useful for "productive" tasks like sitting on your ass and watching youtube all day or writing shitty programs for nobody
>>
>>54924502
>Not making them load DOS and THEN try to run Windows 3.11
Fucking patricians
>>
/g/ is for mmay mays and name calling. It's like /b/ for nerds.
>>
File: handycomp.png (199 KB, 1280x777) Image search: [Google]
handycomp.png
199 KB, 1280x777
>>54928901
I think it actually does have wireless, pocket chip site mentions wifi and bluetooth
>>
>>54924852
I CAN"T WAKE UP
CAN YOU HEAR ME?
HELP
>>
>>54924910

It's the current year, we can't focus on the subject at hand, we need to be occupied with politics and diversity all the time now.
>>
>>54926038
>you see it that way because of some deep-seated misogyny complex.
[Citation needed]

>1. the convention isn't a boys' club anymore and women are be encouraged to attend
Nebulous definition: "Boys' club"
Assumption: Whatever a boys' club is, PyCon was one. It is not one anymore, somehow. For some reason. This prior state and transition is not explained, justified nor reasonably argued for, it is simply assumed.

>2. with greater diversity in the speakers, the overall quality of the talks improves.
[Citation needed]
Taking this to its logical conclusion, it would be best to include people as diverse as Carmack and Honey Boo Boo's mother to speak at technological events, because diversity is an inherently good thing. Right. You've definitely convinced me with your non-argument.
>women who can give a better talk than some men have pushed those inferior speakers out.
Assumptions: the women who're giving talks now are better than those who spoke before
No evidence is given for this. You're simply assuming based on a retarded heuristic because you're a fucking lunatic who believes everything he hears from people whose authority he respects, regardless of their evidence for their claims.

>remember, a woman handwrote the instructions to put a man on the moon. don't assume that female speakers are automatically not as good as male speakers.
Idiotic strawman employed: you're assuming anyone said the previous female speakers were of low quality. This couldn't be further from the truth; female speakers can be just as good as male speakers, but they are not nearly as numerous (this is simple fact: as stated prior, 8% of developers are women yet somehow, 40% are speakers. The discrepancy should be obvious even to someone as braindead as you)
Of course, I'm speaking to an illiterate moron. You would rather keep your head up your ass than open up your eyes and actually think for yourself instead of repeating stale memes from stupid "inspirational" speakers.
>>
>>54925936
What other places Anon?
>>
>>54926382
>proprietary shitware on a homebrew device
what
are you serious?

Are normies pseudo-hackers really this fucking retarded?
>>
>>54924714
>screenshots of /g/
>screenshots of reddit
>images from google+
>scripts from hackernews

>cowsay on rm -rf sysdirs
Thats actually pretty cool
>>
>>54929549
>>54926382
What? Everything about it is open source. Github/NextThingCo
>>
I want to buy this thing to show off. Am I a bad person? Most likely not. Will /g/ be mad at me for virtually no reason? Most likely... oh, there it goes >>54926251
>>
Calm down lads, it's just a hipster toy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT3q8U1zQWE
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.