[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What language looks best on a resume? Just graduated from university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 3
File: shutterstock-programming.jpg (1012 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock-programming.jpg
1012 KB, 3888x2592
What language looks best on a resume? Just graduated from university and want to learn a language while I look for a job. I know a bit of python.
>>
English
>>
>>54924191
Gentoo
>>
>>54924191
C++
>>
>>54924191
swift
>>
File: python.jpg (78 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
python.jpg
78 KB, 736x552
>>54924191
Python's a pretty good language to have on know, especially if you can unhinge your jaw and eat a large egg in front of the interviewer.
>>
>>54924191
> Graduated
> Didn't learn a language

Congratulations on having wasted 4 years of your life anon!
>>
>>54924191
If it isn't the language they're using in-shop, they don't care.
>>
I'm in my second year of uni and I have taught myself C++. If you don't know Java, then learn it because no matter how much of a meme people say it is it's still used and there's plenty of well paid jobs that'll take you on with it.

My main programming languages:
- Java
- C++
- SQL
>>
>>54924438
Harry Potter pls leave
>>
>>54924549
>SQL
>Programming language

oi m8
>>
हिंदी
>>
Aren't you supposed to learn my in university?
>>
>>54924561
SQL is a programming language. It's a declarative language you use in a program, and the program is an SQL database.
>>
>>54924446
>>54924578

I theoretical physics not cs. I did a module on python in my first year.
>>
>>54924191
What the hell was uni for then? You were already supposed to be getting job offers before graduating, assuming you actually did anything worthwhile, which it seems you didn't.
>>
>>54924466

I guess a better question would have been what is the most commonly used language?
>>
>>54924646
http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016#technology-most-popular-technologies
>>
C# and Java
>>
>>54924611
It's not assembled into machine code, how can you say it's a programming language? At most it's a scripting language
>>
>>54924747
By that definition, wouldn't that mean that any interpretted language is not programming?
>>
>>54924666
>Javascript
>PHP
>Python

Great, I'm all set. Now if only Go was relevant...
>>
espanol
>>
>>54924747
where did you get that retarded definition from ?
>>
>>54924438
>Python
I'm not saying Python isn't good, but anyone who has used pretty much any mainstream imperative language can pick up Python and use it well in a week. The same is not true the other way around.
>>
>>54924771
>>54924896
If you call SQL a programming language then by extension you have to call HTML one too. If you do that I'll agree with you on SQL
>>
>>54924946
completely false
>>
learn python better
>>
>>54924617
>I theoretical physics
really? not English? I'm surprised
>>
>>54925014
Sorry anon, I was trying to shitpost to see if I could rile someone up.

I think I have learned that I do not enjoy doing it, and all it does is shit /g/ up.
>>
>>54925014
> If you call SQL a programming language
Many SQL dialects (PL/SQL, T-SQL to name just a couple) are Turing complete and can definitely be called programming languages.

> by extension you have to call HTML one too
How exactly do you "extend" from a query language that has variables, procedures and control flow structures to a markup language that has neither of those?
>>
>>54924561
>>54924611
>>54924747
>>54924771
It's a fucking QUERY LANGUAGE you autist. You don't try to classify it when it's already classified.

>>54924611
No, it's not an SQL database program, it's a relational database management system.
>>
>>54925222
>It's a fucking QUERY LANGUAGE you autist. You don't try to classify it when it's already classified.

Yes, and by your logic, writing C or anything compiles to machine-code is also a query language, because it queries the processor state.
>>
>>54924617
Just put MATLAB on your resume then, that's really all you need for physics.
>>
>>54924196
lmfao

>>54924191
not one, but several languages.

my resume:
>Python
>Scala
>Java
>C
>Bash
>bits of Prolog, Erlang, LISP, Go
>>
>>54926744
>putting bash on your resumé

Companies don't care about bash
>>
ITT people who didn't attend college
>>
>>54926820
I write bash every day - it's an invaluable skill if you are working in infrastructure, because it's the lowest common denominator. but please, tell me more about what companies care about, since you have worked at so many
>>
>>54925014

HTML is turing complete you retarded autists
>>
don't take advice from /g/. especially, do not take advice from /g/ with regards to employment. employed posters have moved on to better communities.

you are likely doing it wrong, op. put down what you know, or if you're looking at specific postings or fields, learn those languages. you should be tailoring your resume specifically for every job you apply to. often the language itself isn't so much important - if you don't have a repository of your work to show off, then lol. some dude with flashy javascript visualizations will be more impressive than a dude who claims to know C but has nothing to show for it. This board also needs to fuck off with pedantic arguments. SQL is a valid thing to put down, it's super useful. It doesn't matter if it fits the definition of a "language" for your cases.
>>
>>54927586
>employed posters have moved on to better communities

Is this true, anon? I'm new-ish to /g/ and have no idea what the makeup of /g/ is in regards to that. I'm going to assume that it's true, because man, this community can be quite degenerative, and the signal-to-noise ratio is really bad.
>>
>>54924552
Under rated
>>
>>54924191
Look at the job listings and see what languages are in demand.
>>
>>54927973
Not true. Even on 4chan, one of the most morally degenerate places on the internet, you can still tidbits of useful wisdom every now and then. I was able to get a dev job because of /g/'s advice.
>>
>>54924946
If you list Python on your resume you should know the functional features, comprehensions, metaclasses, decorators, generators, closures, with statement, for-else statement, PEP8, stuff like iter, partial and so on, something about CPython internals (e.g. how lists are represented, about PyObject etc.) etc.
>>
>>54928607
Same person here. That's precisely why I like /g/, and even /v/. Sometimes I run into golden, sageful pieces of wisdom that just blow my mind, and they are the reason I continue browsing at all.

But I still do question whether real professionals really bother with /g/. Sure, it has its golden nuggets, but why stay in /g/ when you can go somewhere with a better signal-to-noise ratio?
>>
brainfuck
>>
>>54924196
wrong, it chinese or hindu
>>
>>54928760
I believe most people already go other communities. I do. I come /g/ to shit talk and laugh at other people's code
>>
>>54930658
I come here for the giggles too, but occasionally come in to inflict wisdom.

Though, when I do actually have a question, is it wrong to intentionally say something blatantly false so that someone will be eager to do research and try to prove me wrong? It seems to be the only way to get replies most of the time, because I see most people here ignore earnest questions.
>>
>>54924191
Depends on the industry.

I only do C and it's well enough for many companies to call me every week.
>>
>>54925251

SQL, or Structured QUERY Language, is a language designed for querying a database. Its job is to tell the database WHAT IT WANTS.

C is a compiled systems language with an emphasis on procedural programming. It's job is to tell the CPU WHAT TO DO.

These clearly have different domains, which is why only one of them is called a query language.
>>
>>54931179
Which field/industry are you in?
>>
>>54931232
Banks and insurance companies for high-speed trading, transaction and authorization automatons, and defense sector for various simulators and critical software.

Haskell is a great addition although I don't know shit about it, because more and more companies are tempted to start projects in it, but for the time being, banks like hiring people who know Haskell as it says a lot about their skills.
>>
French.
>>
>>54924747
So then I suppose you think Javascript, Java, Python, some dialects of BASIC, and most members of the Lisp family aren't programming languages either?
>>
>>54927518
>HTML is turing complete
Then show me a fizzbuzz in HTML
>>
>>54924191
>>>/biz/
>>
>>54927586
>often the language itself isn't so much important - if you don't have a repository of your work to show off, then lol.

This is massively true. Nobody will be impressed by any single language that you know. People are impressed by your actual projects. Saying "I know C and Haskell" means almost nothing. Saying "I wrote my own bootloader and file system in C and created a machine learning image recognizer in Haskell" is way more impressive
>>
>>54931504
> machine learning image recognizer in Haskell

that sounds pathetic desu
>>
>>54927518

HTML5 is turing complete with CSS3. That doesn't make it a programming language though, because programming was not the task it was designed for
>>
>>54927518
Conway's Game of Life is turing complete.
>>
>>54931423
1<br>2<br>Fizz<br>4<br>Buzz<br>Fizz<br>7<br>8<br>Fizz<br>Buzz<br>11<br>Fizz<br>13<br>14<br>Fizz Buzz<br>16<br>17<br>Fizz<br>19<br>Buzz<br>Fizz<br>22<br>23<br>Fizz<br>Buzz<br>26<br>Fizz<br>28<br>29<br>Fizz Buzz<br>31<br>32<br>Fizz<br>34<br>Buzz<br>Fizz<br>37<br>38<br>Fizz<br>Buzz<br>41<br>Fizz<br>43<br>44<br>Fizz Buzz<br>46<br>47<br>Fizz<br>49<br>Buzz<br>Fizz<br>52<br>53<br>Fizz<br>Buzz<br>56<br>Fizz<br>58<br>59<br>Fizz Buzz<br>61<br>62<br>Fizz<br>64<br>Buzz<br>Fizz<br>67<br>68<br>Fizz<br>Buzz<br>71<br>Fizz<br>73<br>74<br>Fizz Buzz<br>76<br>77<br>Fizz<br>79<br>Buzz<br>Fizz<br>82<br>83<br>Fizz<br>Buzz<br>86<br>Fizz<br>88<br>89<br>Fizz Buzz<br>91<br>92<br>Fizz<br>94<br>Buzz<br>Fizz<br>97<br>98<br>Fizz<br>Buzz<br>
>>
>>54931673
Doesn't count. Being able to display the output of an algorithm executed elsewhere doesn't make something Turing complete. Only being able to actually execute the algorithm counts towards Turing completeness. Otherwise pencil and paper would be Turing complete.
>>
>>54931571
> HTML5 is turing complete with CSS3.
Not sure if trolling or literally the most retarded statement ever posted on /g/.
>>
Since Employers are complete idiots when it comes to tech-related "relevance"; mainstream languages like Java and JavaScript probably.
>>
>>54932318
Fizzbuzz wants you to output a specific output you retard, it does not matter how.
>>
>>54932341
How new are you that you haven't see the repo proving it.
>>
>>54924191
It's not the language but the things you do in that language. Every college grade on earth is going to be using either C++ Java or Javascript. You're also going to get a lot of guys who went into more specialized stuff like Rust.

So you have to actually do interesting and non-trivial shit with the languages you already know.
>>
>>54924191
In all seriousness in terms of how many jobs there for certain skill sets I would say Java -> C++ -> C#

If you're going for someting in webDev Javascript, and SQL

Something mathematical or statistics heavy, python
>>
>>54932608
>C#
>Microsoft

What are you, new?
>>
C++
C#
Java
SQL
Ruby
>>
Considering you majored in Physics...

Javascript
>>
>>54930628
Haha now that's a good one
>>
>>54932617
What?

Despite the meme to hate on microsoft and by extension c# it's used a lot to develop internal application for large corporations, especially banks.
>>
>>54932617
Their tools are better than any other third-party tool
Seriously, what even competes with Visual Studio?
>>
>>54932706
xcode
>>
File: 1408950095229.png (362 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1408950095229.png
362 KB, 251x251
>>54932573
Pretty much this, although some languages will be harder to find employment with than others. Lisp is neat but there's not many job opportunities there.

My job is mostly Java and JavaScript. No one cares if you say "I know Java." Every kid coming out of school "knows Java" because that is the flavor of the month in academia right now. But not everyone knows the intricacies of JDBC, JMS, Spring Framework, etc.

You should probably pick a skillset you want to acquire, then pick one or two languages suitable for that skillset, and then try to learn the various frameworks and libraries and so forth that you are actually likely to use. I mean, take a look at what goes into building actual services/products, and try to learn those skills. Picking some arbitrary language is kind of looking at it backwards, and arguments about languages are usually stupid.
>>
>>54932706
Vim is where it's at
>>54932725
Fuck your macfag shit
>>
>>54932440
Simply using print statements without implementing the algorithm would probably be counted as a failure, since the whole point is to demonstrate your ability to implement algorithms. And without being able to implement the algorithm, it doesn't point towards HTML being turing complete. Of course HTML can display something that could also be generated by a Turing complete language - but that doesn't mean HTML itself is Turing complete unless it can actually implement the algorithm itself.
>>
>>54932997
say "implement the algorithm again" pls
>>
>>54932997
Why are you trying so hard?
>>
>>54933135
Because I really want to see proof that HTML really is Turing complete.
>>
>>54933168
it isn't, dumbshit. and writing fizzbuzz doesn't prove a programming language is turing complete.
>>
>>54933227
>and writing fizzbuzz doesn't prove a programming language is turing complete.
True, but a language can't be Turing complete if you can't write a proper fizzbuzz in it.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.