[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will formatting every hard disk on a computer ensure the removal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: 1451966804103.jpg (123 KB, 702x886) Image search: [Google]
1451966804103.jpg
123 KB, 702x886
Will formatting every hard disk on a computer ensure the removal of all viruses?
>>
>>54921299
If by virus you mean any malicious code, nope.
>>
>>54921299
Did you forget to use Common Sense 2016 again?
>>
File: image_6.webm (12 KB, 381x403) Image search: [Google]
image_6.webm
12 KB, 381x403
>>
No
If unless by 'all hard drives' you actually mean 'all storage ever made', which includes human brains since it's humans who write viruses
>>
>>54921299
Short answer no. Long answer. Wipe all the hard drives with a different computer, and reseat your ram and it will be gone.
>>
>he still uses windows and fears viruses
Why are you all so fucking dumb?
>>
>>54921318
Got fucked by Cerber virus. I'm going to trash my entire computer for a new one now and will be deleting all my online accounts.
>>
>>54921369
Some of us have jobs and need Windows.
>>
>>54921487
How do you even get that virus?
>>
>>54921525
Installed software from tpb. It was one of the top seeded torrents too with hundreds of seeders and comments. This is the first time in 18 years of computer use that I have been infected with such shit.

jfmu
>>
File: op.jpg (23 KB, 390x352) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
23 KB, 390x352
>>54921554
Make sure to not tell us which software so we can all get the same virus.
>>
>>54921593
actually this. I wanna run it over one of my old exploitable laptops and see how it works
>>
You better null the MBR too.
>>
>>54921299
I am assuming by formatting you do actually mean blanking then reformatting, including any bootsectors, and aren't keeping backups of any possibly-infected media (especially executables which could have been linkfiled).

A reinstall from known-good media will usually do the trick. Note that by known-good I mean one-time burnt or pressed BEFORE the infection from an uninfected machine. Writing an ISO from an infected machine is a no-no. Inserting any writable media into a running, infected machine? Consider it infected.

Still - ensure? No. It will usually do the trick, but really advanced malware could try to do things like flash the firmware, option ROMs, hard disk/SSD controller, keyboard controller, USB mass storage devices' microcontroller, etc etc etc. However this is comparatively very rare and at this point only really the territory of nation-state level threats, shit like HackingTeam, UNITEDRAKE, macabr3 and the like. That is not relevant to you.

If you were dealing with nation-state threats, there is no such thing as "too paranoid": destroy the whole thing and all of its peripherals and get an entirely new build, with all components or the whole build already sealed and boxed, with cash at a place you don't usually shop at outside your local area, don't bring your phone, and take a circuitous route to get there which avoids public transport and change car at least once, etc, etc, etc. And even then as far as possible compartmentalise and don't trust your life to it.
>>
>>54921554
>AH INSTALLED SOME PROGRAM FROM TPB N AH GOT A VAHRUS N SHEIT MANG
Dual boot Linux and Windows, scan shit on Linux if you're paranoid, use common sense desu.
>>
>>54921299
Well Intel assures you that it will as the justification for all the backdoors they put in your PROCESSOR so I hope so. Thanks TPM!
>>
File: 1356335767289.jpg (58 KB, 339x298) Image search: [Google]
1356335767289.jpg
58 KB, 339x298
>>54921593
>>54921634
>>54921615
Well I was unsure since I was wary that one of the commie bastards that made the virus might see this post and decide to zero their 1337 h@xx0r ski11z in on me and somehow remotely crank their virus up to do even more damage for laughs but I don't care anymore. Just found out that most of my important stuff has already been hijacked by it so I'll kill myself in a few hours.

The torrent I used was this: https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/7585092/Adobe_Photoshop_CS6_13.0.1_Final__Multilanguage_(cracked_dll)_[C

After searching for it to make this post I noticed there's a torrent with the exact same name with a much earlier upload date and tons of seeders with 3 comments, one specifically outing the torrent as the Cerber virus. https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/14698197/Adobe_Photoshop_CS6_13.0.1_Final.Multilanguage_[cracked_dll]

It's not like I used the latter torrent. I specifically chose the former one because of the high comments, upload date and the trusted uploader seal of approvalâ„¢.

brb browsing for helium tanks on amazon
>>
>>54921369
You know Linux gets Malware too, right?
>>
Viruses : Yes
Rootkits: No
>>
>>54921757
>Not disconnecting from the Internet as soon as you think you caught something
Senpai...
>>
>>54921299
SUOMI STRONK

VAHVUUS
>>
>>54921774
Not really, though it isn't impossible
>>
>>54921798

Nothing was out of the ordinary until I restarted my computer and I noticed all my folders were populated by suspicious files. I panicked so I tried to immediately went to you guys for help but I'm sure most of my shit had been already locked away from me the moment I restarted.

But it's too late. It doesn't matter anymore. Nothing fucking matters. If I disconnect from the internet now I won't be able to buy my helium.
>>
>>54921823
http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-malware-second-screen-grabbing-trojan-surfaces-in-space-of-a-week/
>>
>>54921757
Upload the .exes and .dlls from the torrent to VirusTotal and post it here
>>
>>54921874
Yeah but how the heck do you end up with a trojan when you get all your software from your distros repos?
>>
>>54921901
I have already formatted all my drives.

By the by, does anybody have that 4chan guide on how to kill yourself painlessly with an h. tank? Looks like the virus hijacked that from my image folder too.
>>
>>54921919
Suicide is not the answer
>>
>>54921916
There is software and drivers that you may need that are not in the default repos, but you

You also has shit like this: http://thehackernews.com/search/label/Rootkit.Linux.Snakso.a
>>
>>54921632
Do you think the virus can spread if I move pictures, video and music files to another computer?
>>
File: rrrrrrrrrrrrr.png (294 KB, 1207x568) Image search: [Google]
rrrrrrrrrrrrr.png
294 KB, 1207x568
>>54921930
The other answer is giving these fucks what they want ($500 ransom). I would sooner die than deal with terrorists.

I have made an awful mistake and must pay for it. It's time to salvage what little pride I have left and bring it with me to the next life.
>>
>>54921916
Well, Mint has had their website hijacked and a backdoored ISO distributed, so who's to say that they've never had their repo hijacked as well?
>>
>>54921974
Seppuku is the only honorable way of taking your own life.
Remember to secure someone to decapitate you after you disembowel yourself.
>>
>>54921634
how would you go about scanning something on linux
>>
>>54922062
ClamAV and VirusTotal.
>>
>>54921974
anon no
>>
File: 1464643883328.jpg (67 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1464643883328.jpg
67 KB, 600x549
>>54922135
Shhh just let it happen, its natures way
>>
>>54921989
Except for the mentally handicapped, who uses Mint?
>>
>>54922158
no
>>
>>54921940
>Do you think the virus can spread if I move pictures, video and music files to another computer?

it is very possible.
>>
>>54921940
Just use google photos to back up all your pics and vids.
>>
>>54921334
And then I stick in my USB stick and BOOM, VIRTUS!

Didn't think about that, did you dipshit?
>>
>>54922178
The tripfag in this thread. He was shitting up /fglt/ earlier talking about how Mint is flawless and that their numerous failures are actually a good thing.
>>
>The torrent I used was this: https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/7585092/Adobe_Photoshop_CS6_13.0.1_Final__Multilanguage_(cracked_dll)_[C

That torrent seems pretty legit, has the comments, upvotes and everything. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>54922243
I would assume the hidden ransomware?
>>
>>54922218
What a different person

I believe that's the PC term for imbeciles nowadays
>>
>>54921334
Huh, reset your RAM? That should be reset by just powercycling.

>>54921299
Yes, formatting all drives (and reinstalling the OS) will do the trick unless it's a state actor that have infected your computer. There was an Ars Technica article about how they can infect and overwrite the firmware in your computer.
>>
>>54921974
If the group has been busted you can get the unlock codes on some site, if they haven't just unplug the HD and buy a new one until they have been.

I dont remember the websites name though
>>
>>54921940
Technically yes - but not very reliably.

It's technically possible to infect media files with attempted exploits (possibly polyglots) of common media viewers/players, archivers, etc. However, many of those got fixed, so they don't seem like very reliable vectors.

I haven't seen anyone actually try that for a while with anything except PDFs and MS Office files (macros), however. Adobe Reader is a gift that keeps on giving there and makes it notably easy. The last one I saw try it with a media file was targeting WMA and WMV files - you can put a DRM header in there which tells Windows Media Player to contact a URL, and try to bounce from there into an IE exploit kit (because it's the IE control). But that'd only work with Windows Media Player: the kinds of users who come to /g/ don't tend to actually use that.

There were also fun tricks with filesystem parsing, and .ini file parsing - you could make a folder with a CLSID .ini and achieve code execution from where. But that got fixed years ago, and unless you're still running Windows XP (in which case you're a fool), you're safe.

Again, unless you're worried about nation-states, it's kind of unlikely. Executables are the big worry. A good virus scanner on the rest would probably do the trick if you're concerned: ESET NOD32 has usually worked well for me and is not particularly resource-hungry.

(As you may have figured, I'm an ex-VXer: this is my field, but although I've kept my hand in for interests' sake, I haven't released anything in decades.)
>>
99% yes, but technically no.

It is possible to have bios level viruses / firmware shit, it could attach itself to the un-wipe-able firmware of your hard drive and reinstall on new OS installs, but these kind of viruses are not going to be targeted to the average joe.
>>
>>54921974
>>54922135
>>54922158
>>54922181

anon yes
>>
>>54921299
>viruses
Hello 2005
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.