[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't there a P2P (decentralized) time protocol that's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Why isn't there a P2P (decentralized) time protocol that's active all the time and keeps your your system clock accurate down to the very milliseconds?

This probably isn't a problem with most computers but mine tends to drift slowly over time - it can drift by 4 minutes in a single week.
>>
>>54919987
Because you can't just add "P2P" to something to improve it.
>>
>>54919987
This is already solved by software that checks in with any of the hundreds of servers that promise to keep accurate and precise time. peer to peer setups make sense when the data is too large for any single source to serve, but time is specifically something that goes against all the needs of decentralization; you just want a single authoritative voice on what time it currently is, without multiple sources potentially disagreeing or having to catch up/agree with each other.

This, and perhaps everything else you'll ever think to ask, should be in the stupid questions thread.
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol
>>
>>54920027
but time is relative and unique to each observer
>>
>>54920140
Does this post exist for any reason except to beg for my attention?
>>
Replace your CMOS battery
>>
Why don't kids take two GODDAMN seconds to find out the shitty fucking garbage they post on here for themselves?

Go fuck yourselves, entitled little children. 4chan is now for people 30 years old and older, because your goddamn shit generation can't grow up.
>>
>>54919987
>mine tends to drift slowly over time - it can drift by 4 minutes in a single week.
Oh shit nigger what are you doing?

Set your computer settings to synchronize time with internet.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.