[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly is a bot net?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 600x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 600x376
I keep seeing people claim that x technology is a bot net. What is meant by this? I assume it's just a slur directed against a technology they don't like. Fill me in /g/.
>>
Botnet is a service that uses data gathered from your usage (could be sites visited, what you type, music listened to, etc) to target ads towards you.

Some examples are Google and Microsoft. Both of which directly target ads towards you in order to get you to do something, whether it be in browser or out.

Although there exists a botnet in these, it can be removed and completely cancelled with a few minutes.

It's a legitimate term but on /g/ it's used when you are out of legit facts and have run out of anything to use as backup. It's annoying because it's literally shitposting but whatever.
>>
>>54917690
>Botnet is a service that uses data gathered from your usage
Nope. It's a collection of remotely controlled computers, assembled by nefarious means, that can be used for whatever purpose is desired. A group of zombie pcs.
Think DDOS bit coin etc
>>
>>54917978
wrong

>>54918026
correct
>>
File: 1464626111076.webm (2 MB, 698x662) Image search: [Google]
1464626111076.webm
2 MB, 698x662
Outside of /g/ it refers to a kind of network of computers that have been compromised so they function as one collective usually for malicious purposes.

On /g/ it refers to anything that looks shady like it will lead to robot world domination. Examples include: anything by google, microsoft, facebook, twitter, linkedin, anything chinese, most things american, generally anything proprietary.
>>
>>54917690
The botnet refers to social engineering conducted on people by corporate godmachines to control the information we are exposed to.
>>
Botnet is a meme word that /g/ use to describe things they don't like.
>>
the real meaning of botnet comes from robot networks created from a large group of infected computers that is used by a remote command computer(s) to attack computer/site(s) in order to to bring it down. they were also called zombie networks since the infected computers would just keep doing what the command computer tells it to do.
>>
>>54917978
Oh friend...
>>
>>54918026
Some fat fuck from efnet i used to chat with had a 9k deep botnet. Fucking madman.
>>
Botnet = robot + internet
It's an automated form of browsing the internet. For example, windows 10 is often referred to as adding to the botnet right? That's because when you're browsing the internet, robots are secretly working behind the scene to provide you to the correct answer. Take google as another example of the botnet. How do you think google knows exactly what youre looking for when you google something? Its because robots are there mechanically searching databases for algorithms that selectively sort the correct answer you're looking for amirite?
>>
Here it means something that spies on you, or you cannot prove that it doesn't.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.