[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MINIX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: raccoon.jpg (44 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
raccoon.jpg
44 KB, 600x399
Can anyone redpill me on MINIX?

Nobody talks about this OS, so I want to know your opinion about it.
>>
I had to do a university assignment with it once.
It was pretty shit, but I was using the 3.1.0 "book version".

I'm pretty sure it only finds use as a teaching tool.
>>
>>54917327

The logo appears to be a raccoon.
>>
Back to /pol/ you fucking idiot
>>
>>54917327
Raccoons are cute!

I've wanted to try a microkernel based OS like MINIX or HURD for awhile, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort on bare metal.
>>
>>54917379
I really hope you're aware that this is just widely used on /pol/, but has zero correlation. If you don't, you're just a dumb asshole.
>>
>>54917350
Can you tell us a little more about it?
>>
>>54917462
My project or the OS itself?
>>
If nobody talks about it, there's probably a reason.
>>
>>54917488
The OS, but if you want, the project too.

Knowledge is never enough
>>
>>54917327
No. Stay le blue pilled XD
>>
There was a time when it was somewhat popular, the first versions of Linux were written on MINIX in fact. The problem with MINIX was that the community wanted the system to grow and Tanenbaum refused to allow it. Tanenbaum wanted his OS to remain small and simple so it could function as a teaching aid. Linus made his kernel and was open to committers so everyone flocked to it and MINIX fell to the wayside.
>>
>>54917534
Ironically it's now free software.
>>
>>54917515
It's just like any other Unix environment, just way more primative.
The Amsterdam compiler kit is fucking awful.
The debugger is fucking awful.
Most of the tools just seem a bit more clunky.

I was only using it enough to do my project, but it's really wouldn't expect anything to use it for their daily driver.

As for the project itself, I had to extend the operating system in some way, so I added multithreading.
>>
>>54917580
Interesting. I can see on their website that they're lacking of many critical stuff, and the community is small, so just a few guys get the job done.

The to-do list is quite big, so I would blame this awfullness on that
>>
>>54917640
Just to be clear, I was using 3.1.0, which is a VERY old version.
Maybe the current version would be a bit better, but I really don't think it would hold up to GNU/Linux or most of the BSDs.
>>
>>54917580
>>54917350
>>54917659
With 3.2.0 the majority of the userland was replaced by NetBSD's userland including the compiler toolkit and debugger and it also brought compatibility with NetBSD's packages. Maybe it's a little more tolerable now.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.