[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OpenBSD documentation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: openbsd.jpg (46 KB, 306x265) Image search: [Google]
openbsd.jpg
46 KB, 306x265
So, people say that OpenBSD's man-pages are among one of the greatest out there.

How can we objectively prove this? Do any diffs or comparisons exist that compare manual pages between the other BSDs and Linux, and show OpenBSD having the most-concise and useful documentation?

And what are some OpenBSD-only man-pages that stand-out as being great documentation?
>>
>>54915756
Great documentation won't save you from FBI backdoors that OpenBSD has.
>>
>>54915756
OpenBSD, and most of other BSDs have man pages that actually provide you with examples and sometimes even explain odd behaviors you may run into. A lot of GNU documentation is obnoxiously long and sometimes even tells you to just read the info page instead.
>>
>>54915974
Oh, and here are OpenBSD-only ones.
http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man5/doas.conf.5
http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man2/pledge.2
>>
File: troll+spray.jpg (43 KB, 377x603) Image search: [Google]
troll+spray.jpg
43 KB, 377x603
>>54915771
Very funny, troll. That claim was proven false almost immediately - code audits of the two accused commiters showed nothing even remotely suspicious.
>>
>>54915771
How do pedophiles manage to use computers and almost never get caught? I'm fully aware that there are backdoors, but if it was so easy to trace back as you say, then how come criminals are hard to catch?
>>
>>54916026
Also I think the OpenBSD pf related man pages are a bit better than the FreeBSD equivalents, mostly because pf is from them.
http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man5/pf.conf.5
>>54916039
>responding to THAT guy
>>
>>54916063
Thanks anon. I think that's a great example.

I also like how some packages in OpenBSD have pkg-READMEs, which provide a lot of really useful, practical and well-written details that other OS's don't have.
>>
>>54916055

Because you need warrants in order to search a person's stuff. You can't just backdoor into everyone's shit and go "HE HAS ILLEGAL STUFF! GRAB HIM!". At least not unless you want even the shittiest of lawyers to be able to have the case thrown out the window. No doubt your shit's being spied on, but nobody's gonna use that method to catch criminals as long as the 4th amendment exists.
>>
>>54916095
Yeah, I love OpenBSD too.
I'm almost convinced you could set up a good firewall with nothing but that man page. And if that's not enough, they have a short handbook about it on their site, which seems more intended for people who never had to set up firewalls before.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.