[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
unknown MAC address on network
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: russian-hacker.jpg (43 KB, 999x550) Image search: [Google]
russian-hacker.jpg
43 KB, 999x550
How likely is it that someone on my street is using my internet?

or worse hacking my computers?

anyway changed my wireless password.
>>
http://www.edimax.co.uk/edimax/uk/

mac address search reveals this as company who manufactured the device
>>
File: 1456323827530.png (391 KB, 792x540) Image search: [Google]
1456323827530.png
391 KB, 792x540
>>54914511
>skimask while hacking
>>
>>54914511
There are bunch of tutorials on how to get a wireless network password with kali linux and stuff like that, also there some programs for that on windows as well. So, yes, it is possible that some guy just hacked your weak password and was leeching your connection.
>>
my internet was being funny and constantly turning off and reconnecting.... as well
>>
File: happy-hacker.jpg (15 KB, 391x411) Image search: [Google]
happy-hacker.jpg
15 KB, 391x411
happy hacker stealing my bleeding internets...
>>
>>54914559

This guy always has one http://www.bumpershine.com/wp-images/posts/delocated_billboard.jpg
>>
>>54914511
Turn off WPS while youre at it.
>>
>>54914511
Depends. What encryption are you using?
It's not someone hacking your computer. Someone controling your computer from the Internet would be controling just that, your computer, it wouldn't include another device on the network.

If there is an unknown MAC Address on your LAN right now, shut it down, implement MAC filtering allowing only the addresses of your devices (if the guy doesn't know any of those, he won't be able to spoof one and try to come back as if he was one of your allowed device). Then start it again. He probably had your password, but if you changed it, then he'll have to bruteforce it again most likely (that may not be how he got it in the first place, though)
>>
Assuming you're not using your ISPs retarded provided router, setup aNd activate MAC access list so that even if someone has hacked your wifi pw, they still can't get on your network
>>
Ive just turned wps off, any reason why to do so?

security is wpa2
>>
do you set up a mac access list on command line on windows/linux etc?
>>
>>54914765
>implement MAC filtering allowing only the addresses of your devices

Pointless. He can see the mac adresses of all connected stations via airodump and spoofing them is easy.

Change the password (use a long one), make sure youre using WPA2, disable WPS. Dont be a low hanging fruit.

If you got idiots with WEP or WPS in your neighborhood, they probably wont put in the effort to brute force a long password.
>>
>>54914827
WPS system is basically a button on the router that you push to allow connections in temporarily, and then you join with your device. This avoids you having to enter the passphrase, but the device and router still exchange some sort of short key to initialize the connection (very short key, so its easy to bruteforce)
>>
>>54914556
lmao someone used a wifi extender to steal your wifi on all their devices
>>
>>54914881
You can get MAC addresses of packets in clear even when you aren't on the network? How does airodump work? I never used this aircrack-ng tools suite thing.
>>
whats a wifi extender?
>>
>>54914827
Its unsafe, especially if your router is vulnerable to pixie dust attacks.

Just look up Reaver-Wps if you're interested.
>>
>>54914923
Yes.

If you put your card in monitor mode it will capture all packets, even the ones from other networks. Data is encrypted, but the headers aren't.
>>
It was probably a pedo pulled up near your house to get his latest stash and drove off.
>>
>>54915071
>but the headers aren't
Really?! Wow, didn't know that.
Oh, that's right.. the SSID broadcasts from the WAPs have their MAC included.
>>
>>54915071
Isn't it called promiscuous mode?
>>
>>54914883
Somehow the fucking thing also works without the button. Attackers can remotely brute force the pin and the router will just hand over the PSK.
>>
>>54915118
Promiscuous mode is used when you are inside the LAN, and in that mode you keep the packets that aren't addressed to you.

Monitor is simply getting any wifi transmission you can pick up, whether you are in a LAN or not.
>>
>>54915118
Yes, but airmon-ng calls it monitor mode.
>>
>>54915155
this afaik
>>
>>54915104
I totally wasn't phased when I learned it, but reading that again makes me not want to use Wi-Fi anymore.
>>
>>54914511
Define "using my internet" - is it actively connected and accessing the internet?

It is most probably a w-fi capable device in your house (tablet, phone , coffee machine..) that you are not aware of or have not catered for in your paranoia.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.