[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rolling Release
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 620px-gnu_and_tux-svg.png (99 KB, 620x434) Image search: [Google]
620px-gnu_and_tux-svg.png
99 KB, 620x434
Hello /g/,
those of you with a rolling release distro, how
often to you reinstall your whole OS? (for a cleaner install with less packages, etc.) - if at all.
>>
>>54906108
never
>>
>>54906144
are you concerned about extra folders left behind from software you don't use anymore?
>>
>>54906164
or your filthy ~/
>>
>>54906164
No
>>
>>54906729
how many dirs are in ~/.*, and ~/.config/?
>>
>>54906796
23 and 45
>>
>>54906796
How is that even remotely representative of 'amount of software someone doesn't use anymore'?
>>
>>54906108
Why would you ever need to reinstall ? What do you mean a cleaner install with less packages ? Just remove the ones you dont use... Pacman is your friend.
>>
>>54906108

So far (4+ years), once, which was when I changed the harddrive.
>>
>>54906108
Linux doesn't have a registry. "left behind" files have no effect on system performance.
>>
>>54906164
Extra files, folders, packages, and so on use up some disk space, but other than that they don't hurt anything.

>>54906178
>or your filthy ~/
I keep my files organized. What few of them I keep in my home directory anyway, most are on a separate drive that I can mount anywhere I care to. As for dot files, who gives a crap, they stay hidden and out of my way.
>>
File: Emoticon-03.jpg (10 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
Emoticon-03.jpg
10 KB, 224x224
>>54906796
Completely reinstalling you're system when you could just delete your ~/.* files and folders.
You know, like, if they were really keeping you awake at night.
>>
>>54909942
Even concerning registry, the performance hits are negligible at best.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.