[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
21:9 Monitors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107 KB, 1280x720
Am I the only one who doesn't see the point in 21:9 monitors? I see all these tech youtubers running these damn things for some reason.
>>
>>54903597
increased working space, if you run programs that benefit from that.
>>
7:3
>>
>>54903621
I get that, but I'd rather run a 2560x1600 monitor for height when editing video, maybe two of them two get it real wide, but the 21:9 resolutions are just completely off the wall.
>>
>>54903597
it's not 21:9 it's 64:27
I'm so mad right now
>>
it's different
it's uncommon
youtubers are desperate to look different and obscure. same motivation as people on /g/ who buy 21:9 monitors, and people who buy fedoras.

it's the same hipster bullshit. just get a normal monitor and *don't* regret your life choices several years in
>>
If you like the vidya, they are far and beyond more impressive than 16:9 monitors. Having part of your peripheral vision in use really helps. The only downside is that a wide aspect ratio means you need a larger monitor overall, and the decent ones are expensive. But they're worth it if you've got the money.
>>
For videogames it gives you a more realistic FOV and more immersion, problem is only like 10 games support it.

Plus you dont get the ugly bezels of multi-monitor

I can see it being more useful for work where you need a shit ton of windows open
>>
>>54903643
>but I'd rather run a 2560x1600 monitor for height when editing video
Usually you want a wider monitor for editing video so you've got a longer timescale. Not really sure why you care about height.
>>
>>54903697
Multiple layers of video, I also won't wont have to scroll as much on web pages.
>>
File: 1950-Zenith-G2438R-16in.jpg (31 KB, 268x458) Image search: [Google]
1950-Zenith-G2438R-16in.jpg
31 KB, 268x458
>>54903597
When are people going to bring back round displays? I
see people arguing about all kinds of aspects and things in which a circle makes an ideal middle ground.
>>
I like mine because it fits a text editor, terminal and a browser well and also can be used for gaming unlike dual monitors.
>>
>>54903713
>I also won't wont have to scroll as much on web pages.
What? It has the same height as a 16:9 monitor. It's the same amount of scrolling unless you're putting your 16:9 in portrait or something. In which case you may as well go full retard and put a 21:9 in portrait so you have zero scrolling.
>>
>>54903738
>21:9 in portrait
My neck hurt just reading that.
>>
>>54903744
My 24" 1080p is already unbearably tall in portrait. Portrait monitors are just a meme carried on from a time you only had 1024x768 monitors.
>>
>>54903744
I tried it for laughs one day. It was novel for a bit, but I called it full retard for a reason.

But seriously, it seems like there's some misconception about 21:9 monitors. They're better than 16:9 in pretty much every way, since it's just wider. Provided you get a larger display (I went from a 27" 16:9 to a 33" 21:9) to compensate for the shorter height.
>>
>>54903744
this. a 24" 16:9 monitor in portrait orientation is kind of "tall enough". 21:9 would be insane and frustrating.

and honestly, i've never been able to get someone on /g/ to post a photo of their 21:9 monitor in portrait orientation. i just want to see proof that someone advocating this actually does it, but literally nobody has volunteered. i'm tempted to offer to paypal someone $5 if they can show me a "permanent" setup involving a 21:9 monitor in portrait orientation. that means i won't accept a 21:9 monitor *obviously* just haphazardly thrown onto its side for the purpose of claiming $5.
>>
if you watch a widescreen movie on one of those widescreen monitors are there no black bars at the top and bottom?
>>
>>54903776
i emphatically disagree. 16:9 is close enough to the aspect ratio of a paper that you can get a really good overview of a page of text, read documentation, etc...

21:9 takes that to some crazy extreme, but i wouldn't switch my 4k monitors back to landscape unless i was spending a whole day watching videos or something.
>>
>>54903597

Seems like it would be good to watch movies on and play FPS.

Otherwise it's too big. The mouse travel alone would get annoying as fuck fast.
>>
File: moto-360-motorola-smartwatch4.png (676 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
moto-360-motorola-smartwatch4.png
676 KB, 800x600
>>54903716
Like this?
>>
>>54903851
Yes, but I was hoping for at least a 14" or bigger so I can do 1:1 letter paper viewing.
>>
last i checked the cheapest 3440x1440 was £500, so i went and got a 2560x1440 for £200. i hardly ever edit videos anymore, i don't use spreadsheets and don't really play any RTS games. it would be nice to have, sure. but paying that big a premium on something i have no real need for is gonna have to wait til i have the money to waste.
>>
>>54903716
and a great thing about a circle, you only need a single number - the radius - to describe the "ratio".
>>
>>54904010
I was talking terms of diameter, and I know some marketing jerk is going to be advertising it as circumference.
>>
>>54903597
it's only worth it if you occasionally use video editing software
>>
widescreen was a terrible idea to begin with. ultra-wide is a fucking joke.
>>
have 29 LG monitor. 2560 x 1080 is pretty alright. but i use it for a lot of gaming too so that extra peripheral view is pretty handing in PCars or Assetto Corsa etc.

Work space wise, yeah i still like it too,
>>
File: chink'o vision.jpg (48 KB, 2560x75) Image search: [Google]
chink'o vision.jpg
48 KB, 2560x75
>>54903697
cause this
>>
>>54904187
>16:10 best balance because tall
>16:9 for normies who just ditched TV for online shit
>Ultrawide is for letsplayers and other cancerous tech youtubers.
>>
21:9 has no application support.
>>
>>54903597
It actually seems good for LoL, because you can see incoming ganks better.

A bit wider was probably better, you could have two windows next to each other, which would greatly improve your workflow. Having multiple monitors for that is worse, it strains your neck, you have to keep moving your head to check the content on the other monitors.
>>
I bought it because:

-For the price point I couldn't find any 2k monitor, but I didn't want 1080p
-I see myself frequently snapping windows to the sides
-Some movies I watch often have black bars on top and bottom, which for some reason annoy me more than black bars on the sides
-Some games support it and it looks fucking immersive

In the end, it's not that amazing but it was cheap for me and honestly I like this ratio a lot. If I upgrade this monitor which won't be anytime soon, it'll have to be a better resolution which will require a beefier PC than what I have anyways.
>>
16:10 best aspect ratio, good for 16:9 and 4:3 content
>>
>>54903597
whats the point? thsi just stretches the image, not even giving you extra view of the map
>>
>>54903657

It's 4096:1728 you pleb
>>
I use one primarily for studying or essay writing. Productivity goes through the roof when you can have a word document, multiple research tabs and maybe some lecture slides all on one screen with no compromises
>>
>>54904593
It doesn't stretch anything and and field of view is separate from resolution.
>>
>>54904593
If games support the proper aspect ratio and resolution, it will actually give you a better view without stretching
>>
>>54904220
>aspect RATIO
>>
>>54904631
>he has no idea what ratio means
>he thinks it only means 4:3 5:4 16:9 21:9 16:10

nigger any height x width is an aspect ratio you cuck
>>
No black bars for most off the movies
>>
It's wonderful for movies and games that support 21:9. I'm loving mine but I'd like to upgrade to a 1440p one day.
>>
>>54903597
I thought they were stupid at 2560x1080. But at 3440x1440 I think they're great. Good enough that I bought a U3415W Ultrasharp from Dell.
>>
I have a 16:10 monitor and a 16:9 monitor. I cant use the gtx 690 to the full extend with that setup though.
>>
I'd buy a 21:10 monitor.
Extra space for Photoshop/premiere pro windows.
Never 21:9 though - that shit looks claustrophobic
>>
>>54904593
>thsi just stretches the image
Are you literally mentally retarded?
>>
>>54905141
>>54904620

for lol it does, which is the game being played
>>
>>54903597
I want just for vidya
>>
>>54903597
> Am I the only one
Go back to fuckin reddit
>>
>get 21:9 monitor
>play LoL

kys
>>
>>54905353
no it doesn't, it actually lets you see the ganks even better because you see more of the map. It works even better if you have 2 or 3 of them side by side, you get to see your whole lane almost.
>>
>>54906982
hvorfor skal han kysse?
er du en bosserov`
>>
>>54905353
Nothing about that image in the OP looks stretched and scaled to me. It looks to me like it's running at the native res.

That is not stretching. And you admit you're mentally retarded.
>>
They have great potential for multitasking, since it's somewhat like having a pair of 4:3 monitors with no center bezel though I find multiple monitors (bezel and all) more manageable than dealing with window manager snapping features, I would still use one nonetheless for that purpose.
>>
>>54903597
Because your eyes are a rectangle and so should your monitor
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.