[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1462919343695.jpg (98 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1462919343695.jpg
98 KB, 900x675
>The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0)
>Only recommends distros that actively reject proprietary software
Why is this retarded hypocrite praised again?
>>
because you can't use proprietary software as you wish, for any purpose
he only recommends distros that reject softwares aganist freedom 0.
>>
>>54903006
But then I can't use those distros as I wish.
>>
>>54902946
How is that hypocrisy?

>>54903020
>But then I can't use those distros as I wish.
Yes you can. He doesn't recommend it, but that's not the same as stopping you.
>>
>>54903020
You can't use those proprietary software as you wish. Stallman's list of recommended distros has no bearing on this fact.
>>
>>54903138
No, I can't use THOSE DISTROS as I wish.

>>54903175
But by denying the use of proprietary software, it's not letting me use the distro as I wish, therefore going against 0. I'm not talking about using the software.
>>
>>54904465
It's not preventing you from using proprietary software in any way. It just doesn't ship with any and doesn't have any in its repos. Nothing prevents you from getting non-free stuff from other sources.

What gave you this silly notion, anyway?
>>
>>54904623
What about a distro whose package manager didn't install binaries, like gentoo, would that still respect freedom 0?
>>
>>54904623
Parabola has your-freedom.
>>
Just add another repo if you love getting fucked over so much, OP.
>>
>>54904843
Why wouldn't it?

>>54904862
More of an "are you sure?" measure than anything else, as it's trivial to remove. Still nothing that actually stops the user from installing non-free software, not to mention having no effect on any software run outside of the package system.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.