[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would someone voluntarily choose to run Linux when the BSDs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: freebsd.png (106 KB, 2400x2342) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.png
106 KB, 2400x2342
Why would someone voluntarily choose to run Linux when the BSDs exist?

Literally every Linux program runs on them anyway.
>>
>shilling BSD
Why would you want more open source hipsters shitting up the BSD code base?
>>
File: mods equal fags.jpg (34 KB, 480x256) Image search: [Google]
mods equal fags.jpg
34 KB, 480x256
>>54901742
How many hipsters browse 4chan?
>>
why isn't there a bsd where the mascot is a cacodemon
>>
BSD is too much of a hassle to set up
>>
File: 1434219648074.png (75 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
1434219648074.png
75 KB, 400x358
>>54901475
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
I've heard dev team after dev team describe starting a major project on BSD, get a year in and have undebuggable non deterministic behavior. One of them was able to reason out a flaw in the BSD network stack and dig themselves out of their 2 month hell. The others did not and eventually lost funding for their projects.
>>
>Literally every Linux program runs on them anyway.
Wrong, it can't run the latest and best versions of systemd :^)
>>
>every Linux program runs on them anyway
What is systemd?
>>
>>54901940
Gentoo/Arch linux are easy right?
>>
>>54902030
Nope, it can't. systemd relies on way too much stuff specific to Linux to operate outside that environment. You wouldn't want it to, anyway. systemd seems to have deliberately modeled itself after BSD init scripts, so if you're already used to it, BSD will seem strangely familiar.
>>
>>54901475
99% of Linux users could not get a BSD desktop up and running.
>>
>>54902191
You might as well say that 99% of computers users couldn't. But what's your point?
>>
Drivers.
>>
>>54902221
my point is that you should install windows 10
>>
Linux has higher hardware compatibility.
>>
>>54902234
Actually, I was asking the guy who I replied to, not you Mr. 13th Unique Poster in the Thread.
>>
>>54902221
If you can't understand the simple logic here I don't know why I should continue speaking with you.
>>
>>54902290
Oh, it was just some bait. My bad. Carry on.
>>
>bsd
im so sorry for your loss ;(
>>
>>54901475
So why use BSD over Linux?
>>
>>54901475
Can BSD run Wine?
>>
>>54902321
the judge said i wasnt allowed to use linux within 500 yards of any playgrounds anymore :(
>>
>>54902321
Because BSD systems are superior
>>
>>54902144
For anyone above 120 IQ it is easy
>>
>>54902363
Why?
>>
>>54902321
No GPL cancer.
>>
>>54902386
https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/03
>Linux has never had any sort of separation between what is the "base system" and what is "addon utilities". The entire system is "addon utilities". MySQL is no different from ls from KDE from whois from dc from GnuCash from ... Every bit of the system is just one or another add-on package.
>By contrast, BSD has always had a centralized development model. There's always been an entity that's "in charge" of the system. BSD doesn't use GNU ls or GNU libc, it uses BSD's ls and BSD's libc, which are direct descendents of the ls and libc that were in the CSRG-distributed BSD releases. They've never been developed or packaged independently. You can't go "download BSD libc" somewhere, because in the BSD world, libc by itself is meaningless. ls by itself is meaningless. The kernel by itself is meaningless. The system as a whole is one piece, not a bunch of little pieces.

Also this >>54902400
>>
bsd mentality is the cancer of free software
>>
>>54902440
Please do explain
>>
>>54902400
>>54902419
I fail to see why that's a problem. If it works, then it works.
>>
>>54902457
Then continue using Linux, nobody's stopping you.
>>
>>54902419
>modularity is shit
>there should be a "base system"
>it worked so well for Microsoft
>>
>>54902457
this is exactly the way of thinking that leads to shit like heartbleed
>>
>>54902470
To each his own, I prefer the BSD style.
>>
>>54902450
im talking licensing. copy left is ethical, permissive licences are a way for commercial projects to abuse the system.
>>
>>54902470
But it did work really well for Microsoft.
>>
>>54902475
If people find a problem that gets fixed, then problem solved. I don't expect everything to be perfect first go, I do expect a culture of continual improvement.
>>
>>54902492
Companies aren't just going to conform because you want them to. I'd rather see them develop with BSD licensed software and not give back than poorly reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>54902492
Copyleft doesn't prevent corporations exploiting your work. Facebook was built on Linux. Android is forked from Linux.
>>
>>54902519
Copyleft exists because of a perceived problem that forking free software into proprietary software is a bad thing. Facebook being built on Linux is not a bad thing because Facebook doesn't distribute Linux as proprietary software.
>>
>>54902519
at least they have to contribute. they cant just grab it, modify it and releqse the modified version as proprietary
>>
>>54902562
Who cares if they do or don't? I've always seen BSD licensed software as plopping the source code on the table and saying look what I made. You can use it if you want, or not, I don't care. Just give me credit if you do.

I fail to see the issue with such a thing.
>>
>>54902400

>Due to the extremely minimal restrictions of BSD-style licenses, software released under such licenses can be freely modified and used in proprietary (i.e., commercial) software for which the source code is kept secret.
http://www.linfo.org/bsdlicense.html

#CuckBSD
>>
>>54902321
Security, stability and zfs.

>>54902324
Yes.

>>54902375
So are you saying BSD is even harder?
>>
>>54902594
>le epik cuck maymay
>>
>>54902594
Doesn't realize that open source is literally cuckold.

Nice try cucknix
>>
>>54902604
>le
>>>/plebbit/
>>
>>54902617
>implying I've ever been there
I'm just making fun of you anon
>>
>>54902580
it encourages proprietary software as theres no enforcement of releasing modified sources. its a massive ethical issue
>>
>>54902642
I'm not a delusional freetard, I couldn't give less of a shit
>>
>>54902229
Most underrated post. I have no use of a system that cannot setup drivers for my devices. Linux itself is so shit, why would I downgrade myself further with BSD?
>>
>>54902686
So why do you ask "who gives a shit" if you don't like the answer? Doesn't it make more sense to not ask the question if you don't like the answer?
>>
>>54902718
It entirely depends on your hardware. My laptop's better supported by OpenBSD than it is by Linux and Windows.
>>
>>54901475
Before responding, please read this:

https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01

There is no reason other than hardware support to stay at Linux. Have fun with bunch of software that can be made to act like an OS.
>>
>>54902731
My laptop had issues with Ubuntu getting my wifi and audio working, the most mainstream distro. I dare not think how much shit I would be in with BSD.
>>
I use BSD because it's easier to use for C programming.
All the GNU/Linux distros I tried didn't include compilers in the default install, which is pretty retarded for a supposedly Unix-like system.
And so far, I'm enjoying doing C on FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I unfortunately made the mistake of owning an Nvidia video card, which has no drivers, but otherwise things are great.
A lot of the userland programs have much saner defaults and man pages, too, compared to GNU programs.

If you can't at least program in C and make both sh and csh shell scripts, your opinions on Unix-like operating systems are more shallow.
>>
>>54902726
Nah
>>
File: IMG_20160604_022033.jpg (1 MB, 1280x2275) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160604_022033.jpg
1 MB, 1280x2275
>>54902738
>There's no reason other than hardware support, video games, software support and ease of use to stay with Windows. You may as well switch to Linux now
>>
>>54902763
That's a very stupid reasoning fellow stranger. You can do C development on stone wheels just by visiting your stone age repo.
>>
>>54902778
But the discussion is about switching from Linux to BSD. I don't follow your logic.
>>
>>54902751
You think I was expecting better driver support on OpenBSD? I definitely wasn't, but I was wrong. You won't know if you are till you try.
>>
>>54902801
Why would you switch to BSD if it has worse hardware support and doesn't offer anything additional? Im trying to draw a comparison here. The logic you're using is faulty. It's a why fix it if it ain't broke situation.
>>
>>54902738
Unfortunately, that article is really, terribly old, and only has authoritarian reasons for preferring BSDs. I'm a BSD user and I say this. He doesn't mention much technical stuff that's relevant today.
>>
>>54902763
>Yfw "man ed" with the ganoo shell utils
>yfw ed's info page

Right when the world thought that actually using ed was the biggest waste of time on a *nix, GNU started packaging a useless tutorial and shoved the useful command reference way in the back of the book.
>>
>>54902827
Not everything is about drivers. I run simulation software on servers for example. I'd rather do this on an OS that has actual documentation instead of weird patch whatever you find OS like any linux distribution.

Drivers are relevant for desktop-laptop-home-personal use.
>>
>>54902862
>yfw info anything
fuck GNU
>>
>>54902853
But philosophical differences remain the same. I thought it was quite valid.
>>
>>54902862
Yeah, I learnt how to use GNU info and was terribly disappointed in LISP machine refugees' attempts to destroy Unix.

I still desire to learn Scheme some day, though.
>>
>>54902893
It was a good idea once, when everything was getting started and "GNU/Linux" was actually just GNU and Linux. It made the basic system more usable along with long options.

But now the shell is for pros, so all the friendly bloat is fucking useless and gets in the way of what the shell is actually used for.
>>
>>54902907
man was made for printing physical pages
info was made for consoles

both are dated now that we have html pages
>>
>>54902935
Some of the OpenBSD mandoc stuff makes man pages, when rendered as HTML, have sweet features like useful hyperlinks.
>>
>>54902609
>companies pay full time employees to improve FOSS like Linux
>FOSS is cuckold
Sure thing, anon.
>>
>>54902935
man pages are great for quick, on-line help
>>
>>54902958
Reminds me, the BSDs have better official newb tutorials.
I'd have never learnt how to use any Unixlike, without the FreeBSD handbook.
>>
>>54902935
>he never had to SSH into an obscure UNIX machine with some obscure variant of a core utility
>installs full graphics stack on a server to view documentation
>>
>>54902955
I'm not him but the only ones who is being c*cked in FOSS are the original developers. They basically give away everything for nothing.
>>
>>54902981
So Google is a cuck for developing Chromium and Android?
>>
>>54903019
Is google the original developer of Android?
>>
>>54902751
Freebsd includes OSS in the base installation and it just werks. No alsa or pulseaudio. I found that very refreshing.

>>54902419
This is something I do like a lot about freebsd, it's a relatively plain installation, but basic things you would naturally want are still included. It's not like linux, where you either get something loaded up with dozens of junk applications for no reason, or you get something with basically nothing. Freebsd feels like a complete, well thought-out, basic operating system.

You might technically be able to do more with linux than BSD, but I think BSD is more enjoyable to use.
>>
>>54902970
The handbook is so great. The only thing comparable for linux is the fucking Arch wiki.
>>
>>54901475
So what are the pros and cons between the different BSD's?

Which one do I use if i want an OS-X like experience in a VM, for research purposes
>>
>>54901475
How well does Steam run on it?
>>
>paid MS shills propping up their code base they take from because BSD's shit license allows fucking shitty non-free companies to take over and abuse BSD code without giving back
Nice going, BSD, not only do you suck at making a license but you helped Microsoft become an even bigger troll.
>>
>>54903172
stop talking to yourself
>>
Wifi drivers. They're a pain in the ass with BSD on every system I have, other than that I'd go all in
>>
Because to me BSD is awful in the drivers department and everything that BSD has like libressl and other neat features I can just port over to my OS. Maybe if BSD had better driver support, I'll switch but for now I'm sticking to linux.
>>
>>54903639
Enjoy your probably completely fine OS retard!
>>
>>54903172

If MS hadn't adopted the networking code from BSD the internet would run on proprietary standard code right now
>>
>>54903714
imagine all the suffering if everyone had to write their own stack
>>
OpenBSD doesn't have guest additions for virtualbox so I don't see the point
>>
>>54902955
Name one company that pays linux?
Also sharing your code is as cuck as it gets.
>>
>>54902580
>I don't care
>except if you use it in GPL software
>then I'm gonna cry like a bitch about "GPL is stealing muh BSD code"
>>
>>54902731
there's no need to lie on the internet
>>
>>54901475
>that feel when you write your programs to use epoll
>that feel when you know that your program won't run on bsd
>that feel when you are as bad as win32 programmers
why do all unix-like oses have their own, better-than-poll poll implementation?
>>
>>54902763
>didn't include compilers in the default install
>waaaaaaaah
>how do I install shit?
>this is too hard
top fucking cuck
>>
>>54902865
>I just run software
>but muh OS documentation tho
>running software is hard
do you even listen to your retarded shit, stupid fuck?
>>
>>54901475
does it runs blender? does it support nvidia gpus?
>>
>>54902970
>I'd have never
you're extremely dumb
>>
>>54902778
What did windows ever do for us?
>>
>>54903714
>>54903730
If RMS hadn't made gcc, you'd have nothing to compile BSDs with for all these years.
>>
>>54904805
>that feel when you write your programs to use MFC
retard
>>
>>54904897
i want you to know that i am actually rather intelligent and have learned haskell strings in 3 days only
>>
>>54901475
>Literally every Linux program
Literally every 32-bit Linux 2.6.32 program*
>>
>>54901475
>Literally every Linux program runs on them anyway
Literally every Linux program runs WORSE on them anyway
>>
File: wewlad-2016-06-04_03.56.37.webm (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wewlad-2016-06-04_03.56.37.webm
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>54903087
>No alsa or pulseaudio. I found that very refreshing.

You find it refreshing that you lack support?

#rekt
webm related
>>
>>54901475
>He judges the success of his OS on the fact that it can run linux programs
I hope you get the help you need.
>>
>>54902030
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54901475
>Why would someone voluntarily choose to run Linux when the BSDs exist?
So is someone going to explain why its BETTER than linux?
>>
>>54904984
PulseAudio works on BSD.
>>
>>54904662
Red Hat
Novell
IBM
Intel
MIPS Technologies
HP
Oracle
Google
Cisco
for a start
>>
>>54905037
I'm not OP, but the usual "pros" for FreeBSD is:
>jail
>ZFS
>muh userspace written inhouse some of them legacy and inferior to coreutils BTW)
>no systemd
>muh documentation
>muh ports system
>muh permissive license

I have never used FreeBSD (GhostBSD for awhile). I have some exp with OpenBSD which is mostly a testbed for ssh and other things. If you are not OS nerd you have no reason to switch to any *BSD.
>>
>>54901936
true that.

TO answer ops question though BSD is great for servers but its not a great desktop experience when you can have Debian and Gentoo instead.
>>
>>54903363
wifi is compromised
a wired connection is better in every single way
>>
Why can't OpenBSD be compiled with LLVM?
>>
>>54901475
Reminder that the best package manager on Linux is just a shitty ripoff of Ports
>>
>>54901475
I still have no idea how to get htop working in freenas
So I'm going with no, not all Linux programs work
>>
File: 1390054143257.jpg (78 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1390054143257.jpg
78 KB, 600x900
>>54901475
I like the fact that in Linux everything is decentralized, every part of the OS is made by different teams. Linux is also technically superior to BSD because they have 10 times the number of engineers and computer scientists working on it. I also like the idea of the a copyleft license. I thinks that software freedom is important society and the fact that every code written in a copyleft license will alway stay free is a plus for me.
>>
>>54905298
They don't pay linux retard they just use it.
Who actually pays the linux community?
You cuck.
>>
File: unimpressed.jpg (114 KB, 851x478) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed.jpg
114 KB, 851x478
>>
>>54906275
Actually some of the FreeBSD devs use Windows on desktop. Even PC-BSD's Chris use Windows for his podcast as i remember.
>>
>>54906275
I know this is just that one tired troll again but oh well

>how monolithic the kernel is
Kernel modules are not a trait of microkernels, the difference between a monolithic kernel and a microkernel is what runs in kernel space and what is run in userspace. Pure microkernels are basically just a layer that exists to pass messages back and forth between hardware and software or software and software. Both linux and the BSDs(with the exception of dragonfly) are monolithic kernel designs but the BSDs also have modular kernels much like Linux. In fact linuxulator is a loadable kernel module.
>>
>>54904984
>Using bluepoop
>Using lagaudio for it
Literally cancer.
>>
At this point we basically need a BSD version of the arch linux comic to encourage the BSD hipsters to leave. If everyone on this board actually used BSD, you'd switch to haiku in a microsecond. who else wants this?
>>
>>54906552
Barely anyone is trying to push BSD upon you, unlike Arch Linux faggots. Besides, you can always ignore them and not respond to their stupid ass posts.
>>
>>54906552
BSD threads are usually very quiet aside from that fag that shitposts in them at every opportunity. I assume OP is that very same fag.
>>
ITT brain damaged people who trying to "discuss" about while haven't clue about what is *BSD.
>>
>>54906570
>>54906624
yes they've been squelched by the constant necessary shitting of their threads they make every few days. If nobody does this then they get courageous and make another shit thread like this insisting that BSD is superior to linux in some autistic throwaway unprovable way. The only reason why anyone is on BSD in the first place is because linux was already too mainstream and they've already been through the terrible process of seeing other people use whatever obscure linux distro they use. This whole thing is a game that hipsters play that nobody can win.
>>
Because I actually care about free software
>>
>>54906675
There he is, like clockwork.
>>
>>54902642
There's nothing wrong with the existence of proprietary software if you have a choice about whether you use it.

You always have a choice, so there is no problem.
>>
>>54902751
I found that by upgrading to the latest kernel version, all the issues with my laptop were fixed. YMMV of course, but my wifi works now so I'm happy enough.
>>
>>54906708
Because you keep making these threads and they consist of what?

>>54901742
>>54902191
>>54902234
>>54902375
>>54902763
>MUH SEKRIT CLUB

>>54902419
>>54902738
the same shitty psuedo rant that's posted that has 30 pages of nothing and the same repeated paragraph of saying in so many words "BSD is better for CS dropouts and I am one and you are probably not and I am better than you so BSD is better for me"

>>54902237
>>54902751
>>54902778
>>54902827
>>54903132
>>54903363
>>54903639
>>54904492
>>54904841
Why are all these legitimate questions unanswered? Why are there all these comments with no replies? Because the answer from every BSD shit is always the same: "I don't use it, therefore chop it out". That's actually in the rant you keep religiously posting several times. "Well, I don't need drivers, software, etc so nobody else does and everyone should drop this and use BSD". Please spare us.

The truth is that the reason why these questions are unanswered is because they have to do with needing something in the real world, and aren't psuedo-arguing about licenses. BSD shits exist to argue about licenses and not ever worry about such irrelevant things like drivers, software because they are so removed from society, the entire private and public software or IT sectors are a mystery to them. And making it shit on purpose protects your secret club.

Linux threads are different because it's always changing and new and better. BSD threads are always going to be the same 5-10 posts over and over again because it's forever stuck in 2002. One day too many hipsters will drop linux and go for BSD and you will flip shit and go for haiku.

"freedom"
>>
>>54902763
I've programmed for a long time and I've never understood why people think this os or that os is better for programming.

C runs on everything and you can write C on anything
>>
>>54906895
Build/run C11 on Windows.
>>
>>54906882
>Because you keep making these threads and they consist of what?
I actually do not make those threads I just post in them. I like learning about OSes in general really, I also occasionally pop into the linux thread to see what's going on. It's interesting to see things from various perspectives. The way Linux, the BSDs, Solaris/illumos can all differ in their solutions to problems.

>>54906882
>Why are all these legitimate questions unanswered?
Because many of them are not problems with the BSDs but rather problems with downstream developers or application devs and cannot be helped.
>>
>>54901964
OMG get a life you pathetic virgin kissless mommy basement idiot!
>>
File: 1463772354120.gif (2 MB, 236x350) Image search: [Google]
1463772354120.gif
2 MB, 236x350
>>54902229
captain ASPERG you know it's an anonymous thread right??
>But I need to feed my ego , if I go to reddit and post with my nickname 4chan will shill me!
>>
>>54907099
PellesC had complete C99 and C11 support before both gcc and clang.
>>
>>54906170
you said "pays linux".
linux is a kernel you should of stated "community" moron
>>
>>54906170
these companies financially contribute to the kernel look it up
>>
>>54901475
I tried bsd. Absolute garbage.
I suspect Apple pays the assholes who keep shilling this trash here.
>psl become a bsd enthusiast and develop it further so we can rape ur permissive license.
>>
>>54907352
why you fuckers always fight whrn the linux and GNU/Linux comes up? Don't you have something better to do?
>>
>>54907323
>PellesC
*via obfuscated not native compiler.
>>
>>54907382
well actually i dont, but saying linux and meaning community are two very different things
>>
>>54907377
the whore that pays the client for sex
>>
>>54906630
shut the fuck up, Terry Davis. no one likes your stupid toy """"""OS"""""""
>>
>>54906895
You have never used Plan 9
>>
>>54907574
>Terry Davis
Do you forgot suck your god cock today?
> no one likes your stupid toy """"""OS"""""""
But don't talk about linux.
>>
>>54907632
have a grid with auth/cpu server, file server and terminal. auth/cpu runs on pi 2 and the others on pi b. fast as fuck. run a slackware binary repo on it and drawterm to it from my laptop.
>>
>>54906552
Am I the only person excited about Haiku? I liked BeOS, and I was sad to see it go the way it did.
>>
>>54907801
I am excited, but I can't see any practical use for it.
>>
>>54907698
Nice English skills you got there Prajeet!
>>
>>54907960
Well, it's an operating system for a personal computer. That seems to be a practical enough use.
>>
>>54907963
Even better than your.
>>
>>54908016
It's "more gooder then you'res" Rajeesh.
>>
>>54908016
>your.
Nice try Rajeshi but this is between me and Prajeet.
>>
>>54908022
>>54908036
Only 4 words and intensive samefaging ensured.
>>
File: what_the_shit.jpg (7 KB, 251x178) Image search: [Google]
what_the_shit.jpg
7 KB, 251x178
>>54908118
>less than a minute between posts
>samefagging
>>
>>54908136
Proxy.
>>
>>54908193
Yeah, that's the most reasonable explanation.
>>
>>54908204
How else explain thread full of same posts?
>>
>>54908257
By always take poo to the loo. That how.
>>
>>54907975
How much is OS worth without supplementary software?
>>
>>54908271
Oh, I finally realized it's just degradation.
>>
Hey I tried many linux distros and am willing to switch to bsd. Do i just install freebsd? How recent are the packagesin comparison to arch or gentoo?
>>
File: linus_corrects_rms_8560_0.jpg (337 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
linus_corrects_rms_8560_0.jpg
337 KB, 806x938
>>54901964
>>
>>54907801
wow didnt know anybody else knew about haiku, why are you excited? its released.
>>
I don't like the BSD community or the license and the usage and recommendation of proprietary software and blobs
>>
>>54902979
HTML can be viewed from the console.
>>
>>54902132
A miserable pile of security flaws.
>>
>>54902419
I heard FreeBSD is moving to distribute "base packages", is that true?
>>
>>54901475

Because Linux is nearly ubiquitous, thanks to all the corporate backing. All the supposed "advantages" of BSD aren't enough to overcome the ubiquity of Linux, even in places where you would think the GPL would turn companies off like in embedded devices.
>>
>>54908648
Why doesnt linus use clang instead of gcc?
>>
>>54908815
https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase

FreeBSD 11 it's possible to manage the base system with the package manager but there are some critical problems with it right now which makes it unsuitable for a production system. From what I have heard they plan to have it working by 11.1
>>
>>54902642
ps3/ps4 is based on freebsd and they contribute much of their changes back, so that they can use more improved versions for ps5. It works okay.
>>
>>54908486

Yes, you just "install FreeBSD".

Keep in mind that unlike most Linux distros, FreeBSD divides things between the base system and packages/ports. Ports are basically glorified wrappers around compiling the software yourself, packages are the same thing except distributed as binary blobs.

If you're expecting the compatibility and support guarantees that apply to the entire main repositories of popular Linux distros like CentOS or Debian, you won't find it in FreeBSD. If you're coming from Arch, you'll feel right at home.
>>
Because the actual BSD's are going nowhere, they (or rather mainly FreeBSD) are sometimes used when proprietary company A wants to create proprietary product B, without having to release any actually worthwhile modifications back.

If anything, supporting the BSD's is supporting a future where only the big companies enjoy the fruits of free open source software, because everything that actually ends up in the hands of end users will be locked down proprietary.

Of course this doesn't matter to the FreeBSD devs, they fucking like it that way, they sit on OSX when they code FreeBSD, it's no wonder that if you want ANY kind of desktop software on the BSD's, you need to port it from Linux.

Meanwhile on Linux there is an actual movement towards providing end users with free open source software for all kinds of needs, and 99% of that software is thankfully copyleft licensed (much like the Linux kernel) which means they won't have to suffer proprietary forks.

In short, if you like a future where you can have a full desktop solution through foss, which does not fuck you over as a end user, go with Linux, if you want the OSX future of proprietary OS'es and software, running atop permissively licensed OS components, go with (Free)BSD.
>>
>>54908882
> the base system consists of 755 packages
looks hard work
>>
I'm kinda tempted by OpenBSD but I love portage too much.
>>
>>54907377
It isn't shilling, it's hipsters. The goal of this is to use something so obscure that nobody could possibly know so they don't have an opinion on it - so you can then insist it's better. The cycle is already repeating itself as Haiku is being "mentioned" in the thread, again just so you can go tell all the BSD people how much better it is. Hipsters will waste a couple of decades on this and it's how you end up still making $10 an hour in your 40s.
>>
The only thing keeping me from using OpenBSD is it's lack of support for AMD video cards. I've even considered just ripping it out and going integrated.
>>
>>54907377
No, it's Microsoft spreading FUD about GNU.

Report every fucking anti-GNU thread and don't reply to it.
>>
>>54908853
Clang is fairly new with its first release in 2007 while Linux first appeared in 1991. Also fuck clang?
>>
>>54909172
Why fuck clang?
>>
>>54901475
>Why would someone voluntarily choose to run Linux when the BSDs exist?
Because Linux has actual drivers and isn't outdated as hell
>>
>>54901475
Come back to me when BCM4322-based chips work in any BSD variant.
>>
>>54908853
Clang is a slow piece of shit and its interface is radically different with every update. It can't even actually compile the linux kernel yet and at this rate, never will be able to.
>>
>>54903132
It doesn't, that's the main problem with BSD for people who want to play games once in a while
>>
>>54908648
But Stallman says exactly that.

Well, he doesn't call Linux an OS, but he only asks for the dristros developers to call them GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54908648
>linus_being_wrong_about_everything_as_usual.jpg
>>
>>54908888
the vita is running BSD as well
>>
>>54903132
It seems working on PC-BSD (based on FreeBSD) with help of wine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B04EuZ9hpAI
>>
>>54908295
How much supplemental software are you expecting from an OS still in its alpha development stages? Let's give it a few more years and see where we're at.

>>54908694
"Released" isn't exactly the word for it. See above.

I'm excited because I'm a BeOS user from way back when, and I really liked it. Never thought I'd see it resurface years later, though. To be fair, I'm not expecting it to really go anywhere, but I'm still looking forward to seeing where it goes.
>>
>>54909618
>not expecting it to really go anywhere
>but I want to see where it goes
>>
>>54909752
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
>>
>>54908952
I read a good blogpost about the differences. Im so hyped!
>>
>>54901475
systemd
And sadly my own software. But that's because it uses /proc and /sys pretty heavily for getting system information
>>
>>54904841
>Blender
Yes
>Nvidia
FreeBSD does

>>54909237
Not like upgrading a Wi-Fi card isn't one of the simplest things you can do or anything.
>>
What's the advantage of BSD if there is puredarwin, osx, Linux etc?
>>
>>54901742
commit isn't given away lightly
>>
>>54910286
>OS is literally such garbage that you must buy expensive new hardware just to support it
And that's why nobody should use a bsd over linux, since linux just works.
>>
>>54902191
Linux users would have no trouble getting BSD up and running. They're the best tutorial followers there are.
>>
>>54910315
BSD is generally free from GPL, and is the one last holdout of the unix philosophy.
>>
>>54910363
I've seen this posted before, and BSD turds are actually this retarded. It's hilarious to watch.

>no you must buy only hardware that happens to work on BSD
>New wifi cards are only $10

Again going perfectly in line with the "If it doesn't work, then you must chop it out and say nobody needs this"
They do this for drivers but it's hilarious to see it when it happens for entire branches of media like movies and music because bsd losers are all so hideously the same and while they do have the software to make it work, they're way way way too fucking bitter about their seeystem to put it on there.

The more you browse BSD threads the more you see it's like the linux of 2002, all the FUD about how fucking nothing works is true either because it has no software yet or their loserbase is too autistic to use it
>>
>>54902419
I love it when everything is in the hand of one central entity. Especially if that entity is the NSA.
>>
>>54910363
>$5 is expensive
Get a load of this poorfag
>>
>>54910563
>it's just $1 goy, how can't you afford $0.5, oy vey! $5000 is like $0.1, it's so cheap goy!
>>
File: 1403812507428.jpg (278 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1403812507428.jpg
278 KB, 900x1200
>>54910590
>can't muster a response
>resorts to shitty memes
>>
>>54910558
Guess you're better off not using a computer then because every project has a central entity and even your OS does.
>>
>>54905292
That's unfortunate. I'll try to add a systemd dependency to pulse soon.
>>
>>54910644
My GNU+freedesktop+linux OS is in the hand of at least three independent entities. Try again.
>>
>>54910662
>actively attempting to remove portability
Well aren't you a little shit
>>
>>54910683
Did you do a LFS install and do you audit all your packages yourself?

Another point of failure, did you audit your compiler toolkit and the compiler used to compile it?
>>
>>54910703
The goal of freedesktop (which pulse is a part of) is to create a common free linux desktop OS based on the GNU system. BSD has no part in this.
>>
>>54910737
Who gives a shit? It's one thing to need a dependency, but to purposely create them to prevent other operating systems from using a program is just horse shit.
>>
>>54910719
No but I cut open my CPU and analyzed the circuits with an elector microscope to ensure that there was no hardware backdoor. And you?
>>
>>54910766
Everything that gives copyleft systems an edge over proprietary or non-copyleft systems is good. Hence https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.en.html
>>
>>54910768
>elector microscope
>>
>>54910789
Holy delusional
>>
>>54910817
You should relicense BSD under the GPL if you want your system to become relevant again. Imagine how relevant FreeBSD could be today if it had been licensed under the GPL when Apple stole it? Apple would contribute to FreeBSD as much as Google contributes to linux.
>>
>>54910849
>You should relicense BSD under the GPL
No thanks, I for one am against plaguing my system with shit licenses.
>>
>>54910849
Wouldn't do shit. Apple would just look elsewhere for the code or write it themselves and in either case they'd probably settle for a worse implementation.

It's also likely not feasible because the code was written by many different people across like 3 decades, anyone who contributes to a BSD has a copyright on their code unless they release it to the public domain.
>>
>>54910849
>Apple stole it
Apple didn't steal shit, the license clearly states that Apple is allowed to do what they've done.
>>
>>54910926
>Apple would just look elsewhere for the code or write it themselves and in either case they'd probably settle for a worse implementation.
Like google did for android and chromeos?
>>54910974
yeah yeah, of course. when people incorporate bsd code in gpl projects it's stealing. but when companies use bsd code in proprietary projects, that's not stealing.
>>
>>54911000
With android they basically avoided the entire GNU core utilities and either wrote their own or reused stuff from NetBSD. Apparently they've been using toybox for the core utilities since since Android 6.0. The kernel is basically the only part that is GPL and I'm not even sure if that's fully compliant. It's not a standard linux kernel anyway.
>>
>>54911095
Who cares about which parts they didn't use. Compare how much Google contributes to linux to how much Apple contributes to FreeBSD and then make an argument.
>>
>>54901475
I once almost got WiFi drivers working, then FreeBSD just crashed before even loading past the kernel
>>
File: 1456004512201.png (57 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1456004512201.png
57 KB, 800x800
>>54902400
>>
>>54911158
>using FreeBSD as a desktop OS
Try OpenBSD
>>
>>54911158
Just use OSX. That's what all FreeBSD developers do.
>>
>>54911197
kill yourself, also leave this board
>>
>>54911214
Go to any FreeBSD conf and observe.
>>
>>54911190
>this doesn't work yet, we must chop it out and say nobody needs this
>>
>>54911214
this tbqh, windows users are funny, botnet alltheway, yeah, but unironically using os x - there must be something completly wrong up at the brain
>>
>>54911126
There's nothing really obligating Apple to contribute back but their entire OS minus the graphical stuff is freely available. Does FreeBSD want Apple working on their OS?
>>
>>54911243
You're a fucking retard. FreeBSD's intended as a server OS. OpenBSD's actually used and developed as a desktop OS by the devs.
>>
>>54911233
E.g. https://people.freebsd.org/~bz/200805DevSummit/IMG_7796-s.JPG
>>
>>54911188
so you never buy linux based software or preinstalled hardware at all?
It's sad
>>
>>54911190
(You)
>>
File: 1442942641629.gif (3 MB, 360x160) Image search: [Google]
1442942641629.gif
3 MB, 360x160
>>54911268
>linking a picture
>on an imageboard
I guess you're even too new for reddit bro.
>>
>>54911272
>preinstalled hardware
Jesus christ. /g/ is full of tech illiterates.
>>
>>54911297
Did you have a point or are you just bored?
>>
>>54903172
>to take over and abuse BSD code without giving back
If they abuse it, why the hell would I want the abused parts back?

Are you of darker complexion by any chance?
>>
>>54911272
Only if it allows me to download the installed software and replace it with my modified version.
>>
>>54911333
Trips of truth.
>>
>>54906882
holy shit are you the same guy who went "YOU SHOULD BE GLAD IM SHITPOSTING IN YOUR THREADS"

god, you're literally insane
>>
>>54904889
how is that relevant to a network stack? fucking retard
>>
>>54911333
This is exactly why GPLv2 people should level up to GPLv3+.
>>
>>54911375
3+ is a bit too dangerous. Who knows what the SJWs will do when Stallman eats himself to death.
>>
>>54911353
Ironically, BSD shits say the same thing on a thread level for this whole board.
>>
>>54911404
No they don't. This is a technology board, BSD users have as much of a right to be here as Linux users do.
>>
>>54911449
And /v/ has as much of a right to shit it up as BSD users. Your point?
>>
To all people shitting on RMS: Be thankful, because without RMS convincing BSDfags to free their code, BSD would be still proprietary.

To all people shitting on BSD: Be thankful, because BSDfags contributed much code to the GNU propject back in the day and without contributions GNU would be years behind.
>>
>>54911469
No they don't, /v/ has their own board.
>>
>>54911486
So does BSD.
>>>/trash/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.